Should artifacts be returned to former colonies?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For anyone aware of these things. It's common for British museums to have disputes with former colonies over artifacts. The latest is the Easter Islanders demanding the return of the Moai. Should stolen artifacts be returned?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Absolutely.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
If stolen Yes, if paid for and the country wanting item back feels they cannot live without it then they should buy it back.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes. The BM argument for retaining some antiquities is that while yes, much of this material was looted or part the trophy hunting and asset stripping of various Grand Tours, that the top end level of conservation/curation and the free visibility of these antiquities, means they are shared with the whole world in a world context, interpreted and appreciated. They have not been lost, or destroyed in wars as have many world treasures, but numbered and annotated with their provenance recorded etc. And there is, in my view, some validity to this, despite the colonial origins of much of the collections. A trip to the British Museum is an amazing experience, I would recommend it. But yes, they should give it back, provided those taking possession are genuine representatives of their community, and have some kind of plan.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I have sympathy with countries wanting the return of important artefacts, but I'm just wondering where it would end. I can see ancient/important works of art or sculptures having to move from one country to another all over the world. When things are in museums, at least the public can see them - unlike works of art that disappear into the hands of fabulously-rich private collectors.

I do think we should return the Elgin Marbles, as it seems that they were taken illicitly.

Sweet Square

I have sympathy with countries wanting the return of important artefacts, but I'm just wondering where it would end. I can see ancient/important works of art or sculptures having to move from one country to another all over the world. When things are in museums, at least the public can see them - unlike works of art that disappear into the hands of fabulously-rich private collectors.

I do think we should return the Elgin Marbles, as it seems that they were taken illicitly.
When they stop asking.

Kapardin

As far as Indian artefacts are concerned, I'm ok with the British keeping certain things like Kohinoor Diamond which are now part of the Crown property and hence probably difficult to part with. Ditto for other knick-knacks of a precious nature, I just don't see any use for them even if they were brought back, and it might as well be safe in a British museum anyway.

I just want the idols taken from temples returned to the temples, as they are part of our culture and heritage more than the precious stones and other things. There is a concerted movement to try to get them back, but the museums in the UK don't understand the logic and sentiment behind such demands and aren't budging as a result.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes, absolutely. It was stolen and doesn't belong to the British Museum.

The original country of origin should maintain ownership, and it can be loaned out for exclusive exhibitions for 3/4/5/6 months at a time. Alternatively, if someone is so interested in observing culture then they can visit said country.

When I went to Ghana in the summer and went to a few museums they were talking about artefacts and cultural items that were stolen or were destroyed during colonisation, and they only had pictures to show of them. I mean, it's ridiculous

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s worrying as an archaeologist, the number of colleagues who don’t think that they should. Annoyingly I’m in class at the moment and can’t fully respond to this but yes, absolutely.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ideally — yes. But it's pretty much impossible to produce a fair judgment on this, considering our history. Half of the world's art (well, maybe not half, but a significant part of it) was at some point stolen/taken/bought at the unfair price etc, often multiple times... I'm not only talking about ancient artifacts, even relatively recent paintings and sculptures often came to museum's possessions by questionable methods. Given the lack of certain provenance it's often impossible to find the "original" owner.

If this, individually, is a more straight-forward case, then yes, without a doubt.

Green_Red

Ideally — yes. But it's pretty much impossible to produce a fair judgment on this, considering our history. Half of the world's art (well, maybe not half, but a significant part of it) was at some point stolen/taken/bought at the unfair price etc, often multiple times... I'm not only talking about ancient artifacts, even relatively recent paintings and sculptures often came to museum's possessions by questionable methods. Given the lack of certain provenance it's often impossible to find the "original" owner.

If this, individually, is a more straight-forward case, then yes, without a doubt.
How do you draw the line between art and historical artifact?

A painting by Leonardo da Vinci is different to a relief that was taken from the Pantheon in Athens.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sure who cares, as long as I don't have to go around trying to find out which artifact originally belonged to who, because that sounds like a lot of work.

But isn't this obvious. If you steal something and people find out, you ought to return it.

Grib

Yes, or give the complexity of multiple ownership and orginal country/empire break up perhaps a form of commission just given for the likes of museum artifcates etc

harms

Staff
How do you draw the line between art and historical artifact?

A painting by Leonardo da Vinci is different to a relief that was taken from the Pantheon in Athens.
How? Say, Da Vinci's The Last Supper and a Roman (Pompei or Stabiae) fresco from the British Museum's collection, what is the difference, except for the fact that the one is older and had been transported to a different country?

Green_Red

How? Say, Da Vinci's The Last Supper and a Roman (Pompei or Stabiae) fresco from the British Museum's collection, what is the difference, except for the fact that the one is older and had been transported to a different country?
sorry you've actually missed my point. Both of the examples you've used are the same thing in my opinion. Just paintings... They don't compare to religious/cultural/national artifacts. Paintings are commissioned by individuals. Cultural artifacts are created for the masses and have much higher significance for nations.

@harms
just an edit to add to this. There is a major difference between a Leonardo da Vinci painting and say a Pharaohs sarcophagus.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
sorry you've actually missed my point. Both of the examples you've used are the same thing in my opinion. Just paintings... They don't compare to religious/cultural/national artifacts. Paintings are commissioned by individuals. Cultural artifacts are created for the masses and have much higher significance for nations.

@harms
just an edit to add to this. There is a major difference between a Leonardo da Vinci painting and say a Pharaohs sarcophagus.
As an art historian, I have to disagree with you. Most of the historical artifacts were not created for the public. Especially, say, a sarcophagus, that was literally created just to be buried. Most of the ancient sculptures and reliefs were created for spaces that were only accessible to the handful of people.

On the other hand, lots of paintings or sculptures were created for the public viewing, and many of them were created to bear a religious or cultural significance, not just to hang in someone’s living room.

Penna

Staff
Just looking at the links on the article in the opening post, there's been a suggestion that the islanders could carve a replica of that particular Moai, which would then be exchanged for the real one - that would seem to be a great solution to this particular case.

Let's face it, virtually all the people who see the statue in the British Museum don't hold it in any veneration, they just view it as something unusual. A replica would be just as good for that purpose.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
It is kind of a difficult question and I don't think there is a straightforward answer at all times.

So this is about some different culture calling something sacred and demanding it back. What happens if you apply this logic to a piece of land or a country? Should the USA give Hawaii back to the Native Hawaiians? Didn't settlers stole the land from Native Americans? Shouldn't the Caucasians give Australia back to the Indigenous Australians and feck off to England again?

All stolen by the British Empire and it's relatives.

Green_Red

As an art historian, I have to disagree with you. Most of the historical artifacts were not created for the public. Especially, say, a sarcophagus, that was literally created just to be buried. On the other hand, lots of paintings or sculptures were created for the public viewing, and many of them were created to bear a religious or cultural significance, not just to hang in someone’s living room.
The example you used was literally torn off the wall of someone's living room...

A Pharaoh is the leader of a nation, of course their sarcophagus has a much higher importance culturally. And the sarcophagus does not just play the role of a person's burial. Most people buried during the era of Pharaohs were not even mummified let alone buried in a sarcophagus. The significance of a funeral procession for a King or Pharaoh is far greater than an ordinary individual, which is precisely why their coffins are decorated the way they are.

Do you honestly believe that a painting like the Mon Lisa has the same cultural significance as say Tutankhamun's sarcophagus?

Penna

Staff
It is kind of a difficult question and I don't think there is a straightforward answer at all times.

So this is about some different culture calling something sacred and demanding it back. What happens if you apply this logic to a piece of land or a country? Should the USA give Hawaii back to the Native Hawaiians? Didn't settlers stole the land from Native Americans? Shouldn't the Caucasians give Australia back to the Indigenous Australians and feck off to England again?

Germany has the Queen Nefertiti bust, the Ishtar Gate and various other items that other countries have asked be returned, the same applies to other major museums all over the world. This Moai happens to be in the British Museum, but this whole topic isn't just about the sins of the British Empire.

Member 39557

Part of me thinks they should be sent back. Then I look at various war torn places and the looting and destruction of antiquities and I think in some cases, perhaps they're safer left where they are until we know they can be preserved properly at their place of origin. There's also some merit in preserving these things for people to look at when they can't afford to travel to far flung places, although I accept that museum exchange programs could be used to ensure this can continue if relics are returned to their rightful countries.

Having been to Easter Island, it is quite sad to see the pristine Moai in the British museum compared to the state of the ones exposed to the elements on the island. If The British Museum sends it back, I hope they keep it somewhere safe from the elements so there is always an example of an almost perfect Moai there.

Member 39557

Germany has the Queen Nefertiti bust, the Ishtar Gate and various other items that other countries have asked be returned, the same applies to other major museums all over the world. This Moai happens to be in the British Museum, but this whole topic isn't just about the sins of the British Empire.
Every topic is about the sins of the British Empire. Gets dull doesn't it.

Penna

Staff
Every topic is about the sins of the British Empire. Gets dull doesn't it.
It does a bit - I'm not an Empire apologist, but taking cultural artefacts from their country of origin (or even acquiring them through some dubious purchase process a hundred years ago) isn't an exclusively British phenomenon.

I've also been to Easter Island, and it hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it - the Moai there have lost bits, most of them don't have eyes anymore, the top-knots have dropped off etc.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Ah ffs, this wasn't to bash the British. Of course other nations have done atrocious things in the past, in the case of Germany those were worse than that of every other nation in history. I just couldn't think of other obvious examples when it came to land being stolen from native people and not returned back. I suppose Latin America has plenty of those cases as well, I don't know enough about that to make a judgement there. I just wanted to know if the people in here think that the logic applied to the artefacts should apply to land as well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

That would be great actually. Worked well in Africa and Asia. But the returning of artifacts will do for now

harms

Staff
The example you used was literally torn off the wall of someone's living room...

A Pharaoh is the leader of a nation, of course their sarcophagus has a much higher importance culturally. And the sarcophagus does not just play the role of a person's burial. Most people buried during the era of Pharaohs were not even mummified let alone buried in a sarcophagus. The significance of a funeral procession for a King or Pharaoh is far greater than an ordinary individual, which is precisely why their coffins are decorated the way they are.

Do you honestly believe that a painting like the Mon Lisa has the same cultural significance as say Tutankhamun's sarcophagus?
Absolutely.

Pharaoh is not the leader of the nation, he was the leader of the nation that has little to do with today’s Egypt.

Munk means as much for Norway as any sarcophagus does for Egypt, it’s part of their national identity (I know that we have a lot of Norwegians here, so feel free to correct me). Just because it happened thousands of years ago instead of a few hundreds, it doesn’t mean that it now has more cultural significance.

You yourself mentioned the fact that paintings were created for individuals as something that undermines their cultural and historical significance. But art was always paid for by individuals — be it Renaissance or Ancient Rome.

You mentioned that historical artifacts were made for the public instead of certain individuals, which gave them historical significance... but most of the ancient art never saw the light of the day, let alone was seen by mere mortals — it was created for tombs and temples, where only a few priests had access to it.

What else? Religious significance? Egypt doesn’t believe in Ancient gods anymore, neither does Greece, Rome or Arab countries. While even recent paintings were either created directly for the Church or were significantly influenced by the Christian tradition.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If they were plundered or stolen yes. If they were sold by a then corrupt government then it should be looked at on a case by case basis. If the receiving government is unstable in the present to where the artifacts may themselves not be guaranteed to be kept safe, then the return should be delayed until there is a stable government in place.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

It's ultimately much easier though to give back an individual item to its owner than to try and repopulate entire islands or continents. The latter being impractical and impossible doesn't mean we shouldn't do the former.

No. If they're being looked after and displayed for the world to see then leave them alone. These are things that were taken under different circumstances in a different time, draw a line under it and move on.