Should DDG start in the EL semi-finals? | José disagrees with the caf

Who should be in goal for the Europa League semi-finals?

• De Gea

Votes: 253 46.4%
  • Romero

Votes: 208 38.2%
  • Rooney

Votes: 84 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You can reverse that argument though. What if Romero has an awful game and costs United the EL? I think the key difference here with other clubs is that they usually have CL qualification secured with their league ranking so they can afford playing the backup keeper. United at this point basically needs the EL to get CL football.
I understand that and yes it would suck if we lose because of Romero.

But Mourinho got himself into this situation and idk if it is a good idea to just drop Romero.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Mourinho will stand by his promise to Romero, and rightly so.

I recall SAF saying once his biggest regret in football was dropping Jim Leighton for the cup final.

JG3001

Hmm, for me, its carry on with Romero. I know sentimentality isn't the way to feel, but he's been a trustworthy keeper in the EL for us and I don't think he has done anything particularly bad to warrant being dropped.

Combine this with the fact De Gea has hardly been brilliant by his standards (plus I think he has one eye on Madrid this Summer), I think we should stick it out. At the very least for the first leg of the semi final anyway.

As pointed out earlier, if you change keepers out of the blue and it goes tits up, then it looks a hundred times worse than leaving a keeper in who may have a bad game.

He did little wrong tonight, I think he became a bit more nervous due to the poor defending tonight, I still think he controls his box very well from aerial threats, as good as De Gea. There was zero he could have done about the goal.

CM

I think so, yes. Romero has improved a fair bit this season but most of the opposition we've been up against in Europa aren't much better than average.

He's probably already had more game time than he would've expected at the start of the season anyway.

Infra-red

De Gea is our best keeper and therefore has to start. Romero will probably get some Premier League minutes.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Agreed. Would be terrible man management to drop the guy now after he's done so well for us in this competition.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

I recall SAF saying once his biggest regret in football was dropping Jim Leighton for the cup final.
Not sure about that

Leighton played the first game and was dropped for the replay. Was widely seen as the correct call

Erebus

Les Sealey and Jim Leighton spring to mind. But that was the final. Still think it would be harsh on Romero.

mu4c_20le

Well DDG hasn't exactly been solid himself. Romero hasn't been that bad, and did save our skins a few times today.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Romero.

I guarantee if we change big Dave will make a huge mistake. That's how these things work.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good man management is surely finding a way to play your best players without irking the lesser ones, not playing lesser players for fear they get annoyed?

wr8_utd

:'(
I'd play Romero. He's been quality when he's called upon and yes he looks awkward but he manages to make the saves. Also, it's not like DDG has been anywhere close to his best this year.

Miscemayl

Fairly sure Jose plans to play DDG later in the comp as he explained he doesn't have an EL keeper.

He's effectively using the EL to keep Romero sharp in case DDG gets an injury. Now that we're at the business end, I expect DDG to step in.

Gbenger

Romero.

I guarantee if we change big Dave will make a huge mistake. That's how these things work.
Or we actually continue with Romero and he makes mistake(s) which cost us and then we have people questioning why De Gea wasn't used?

It's gonna be a difficult decision to be honest but nothing is guaranteed like you're claiming.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would be harsh on Romero but DDG is the better GK & we should play our best 11.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
De gea hasn't even been that good this season. Romero all the way.

Some of you have some serious rose tinted goggles.

SirAF

Ageist

United won that final though!

Infra-red

Fairly sure Jose plans to play DDG later in the comp as he explained he doesn't have an EL keeper.

He's effectively using the EL to keep Romero sharp in case DDG gets an injury. Now that we're at the business end, I expect DDG to step in.
Yes his comments this week were a giveaway. That'll be it for Romero in the EL I expect. No reason not to give him some Premier Leagues games though, particularly as that competition is now, realistically speaking, not the priority.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Or we actually continue with Romero and he makes mistake(s) which cost us and then we have people questioning why De Gea wasn't used?

It's gonna be a difficult decision to be honest but nothing is guaranteed like you're claiming.
I wasn't being entirely serious to be fair.

Although I guarantee that's what will happen...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Good man management is surely finding a way to play your best players without irking the lesser ones, not playing lesser players for fear they get annoyed?
No, good management is to stick with the player who brought you to this point. If Romero wasn't trustworthy, he shouldn't have played at all but he is trustworthy so he played.

CM

Romero.

We could always compromise by playing Romero in the first leg and slapping around whoever we play before reintroducing de Gea in the second leg.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Absolutely not, Romero's earned his chance, and it's not like De Gea's been great this season anyway.

Didn't City do this a few years back, bring Hart in for a final after Cabalerro (however it's spelt) had played all tournament? Might have been FA Cup?
The cup final they lost to Wigan.

Sterling Archer

Why is this even a question as though our GK selection is the reason for the nerviness in the EL matches?

Romero deserves his spot in at least the next match. Maybe even through the competiton - ddg has seemed a bit absent minded at times in comparison

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Romero for me – and not as a token or principled gesture either. He's been the better keeper this season and I'm happy to find any excuse to play him without unsettling De Gea.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is the competition we need to do well in until the end of the season. Start Dave in the EL, play Romero in the league.

Michael John Doyle

With the possibility of Rojo now missing from our back 4, I think it's within our best interest to put our best foot forward regarding our defense. DDG, Valencia, Shaw and Bailly must start imo.

Jaybomb

Yes.

We need to stop making it any more difficult for ourselves than it should be. Its fecking Lyon, Ajax and Celta Vigo. If we can't beat those teams, we have no hope in the Champions League next season. So if we don't win the Europa League, I couldn't care less.

I used to watch United winning the Premier League. I'm not gonna celebrate fourth spot like its some sort of trophy. That's what Liverpool, Arsenal and the like do.

stepic

Why the semi and not the quarter? It's the same logic.

The final, well that's a different question.