This year: West Ham A W
Last Year: West Ham A L

This year: Liverpool H D
Last Year: Liverpool H W

This year: Stoke H D
Last Year: Stoke A L

This year: Hull home D
Last Year: Villa H W

So tbf we are six points better off from equivalent fixtures this year.

We are six points off better than last year from equivalent games.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Watching us now no longer makes the majority of us question why we watch football while the games on. Style wise, we're better. Even if points wise/ League position it's still debatable.

The first negative nelly.

Borden

Our overall play has definitely been a lot better, but you would expect that with that massive investment in the summer. What mainly worries me still is how lethargic we look at times. We still lack urgency and winning mentality, and now there's no van Gaal to blame.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Our overall play has definitely been a lot better, but you would expect that with that massive investment in the summer. What mainly worries me still is how lethargic we look at times. We still lack urgency and winning mentality, and now there's no van Gaal to blame.
Only positives allowed. Threadbanned.

Raw

We're not relying on De Gea to save us every game with 3-4 match winning saves every game.

Most of our poor results can be blamed on very poor finishing and we barely ever get dominated, there have been very few games where we absolutely deserved to lose (Chelsea away, Fenerbahce away, City home, Hull away).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
56% possession under Mou vs 55% last year

(A surprising stat)
I'm useless at finding these things, but I'd be interested to see how the zonal possession compares? I'd wager our possession now is generally further up the pitch as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
56% possession under Mou vs 55% last year

(A surprising stat)
That's not surprising, collectively we are as dull as last year but our individualities, Pogba, Valencia, Ibrahimovic and Mkhi are exciting.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
We've scored 5 goals more compared to this time last year, with the same amount of conceded. And have 5 points more and 3 losses less.

Passing accuracy has jumped 2.5% from this time last year and it's more than any other team currently.

We're top in aerial duels, as well, much improved from last year (when we were not in top 5).

Also, we're 1 point closer to top 4 than this time last year. We lost out on GD, so this would've made the difference.

Actually, I struggle to find a statistical element that we've not improved on since this time last year.

Last edited:

SteveW

Fewer injuries.

The fact that they managed to at least show they were capable of putting a run of consecutive victories together.

SteveW

Actually scoring a few late goals to win points instead of being the ones usually conceding late

finneh

In terms of performances I'd put us ahead of Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Spurs; only behind Chelsea. If Spurs for example had squandered the amount of chances we had they'd be behind Everton in my view.

Maybe this is more suitable to the unpopular opinion thread!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
After 23 games last year: W 10; D 7; L 6; GF 28; GF 21; GD +7; Pnts 37
After 23 games this year: W 11; D 9; L 3; GF 33; GF 21; GD +12; Pnts 42

Progress.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
In terms of performances I'd put us ahead of Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Spurs; only behind Chelsea. If Spurs for example had squandered the amount of chances we had they'd be behind Everton in my view.

Tottenham have had more shots than us in all fairness.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I can actually see where we are going now. Clearly Jose has identified areas we need to improve upon and will look to change these next season. It does really feel like the only way is up for us under JM.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I think Spurs have been a good bit better. They've had a dullish spell similar to our recent one but more convincing performances overall.

City are weird. When they're good they're fantastic but when they're bad they're awful. Same - yet even more extreme - applies to Liverpool. We haven't hit the same heights - or lows - as either of them.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't follow your logic. The "individualities" you mention are part of what we see on the pitch, collectively. You can't isolate the two.
Of course you can, a player can have a good game while being member of a bad collective.

R'hllor

We are creating more but our conversion is not so good,wondering whats our conversion stats vs same stats under LvG.

Litch

At least I'm staying awake watching Utd and I mean literally.....

JPRouve

Scout
We are creating more but our conversion is not so good,wondering whats our conversion stats vs same stats under LvG.
We once had an impossible ratio: 1/0.

Ixion

We've certainly managed to turn those losses into draws!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's still shockingly frustrating to watch but more in a "how the hell are we not winning this" blue-balls sort of way as opposed to a "this is so boring" flaccid way.

Red_Aaron

theres absolutely no question we're much better imo
the thing with comparing to last year is that last season was a bad season for practically all the top sides except spurs whereas this year they are all vastly improved making our progress appear slight when its actually far moreso imvho
i'm sure all fans can see this deep down and a lot of the frustration on here is stemming from the fact we know we're better than our current league position shows and their grasping for negatives to justify it.
i'm confident we'll compete for the title next season

Status
Not open for further replies.