Singing Section One Step Closer

hp88

I don't think a singing section is possible without upsetting a few people, whether you have it in NT3 or ET2 season ticket holders will have to be moved. NT3 would have been perfect but I guess there is an issue with home and away fans clashing.

I wouldn't call it a whole seperate issue - the return of terraces would sort out the singing / atmoshphere question in an instant.

The task of managing to get a decent singing area should be child's play compared to getting safe standing pushed through, but we can't even manage this.:(
If we get safe standing in England I doubt we will be first to convert.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I don't think a singing section is possible without upsetting a few people, whether you have it in NT3 or ET2 season ticket holders will have to be moved. NT3 would have been perfect but I guess there is an issue with home and away fans clashing.

If we get safe standing in England I doubt we will be first to convert.
We havent even signed up for safe standing where as clubs such as City for christ's have!

As of 13 January 2013, a total of twenty clubs in England and Wales playing in the Premier League and Football League have backed safe-standing. Four of these clubs are currently in the Premier League
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_standing#Modern_terraces

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
We havent even signed up for safe standing where as clubs such as City for christ's have!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_standing#Modern_terraces
A club 'signing up' for it doesnt mean a lot TBH, although it is a good gesture of support - at the moment any form of terracing is technically illegal in the PL so will need a law change before it can even be trialed, there is a long way to go on that.
So It is unlikely to even be a PL club who trials 'safe standing' first in England, nevermind the biggest one!

whereas the Singing Section can be sorted by the club whenever they want, it is just organising the logistics that is the problem.
Personally I would put the Family Stand up in T3 and make that the Singing Section (or move away fans there if we want to try and have atmosphere at both ends of the ground)

Sir A1ex

United bring in acoustic engineer to fix crap atmosphere
Just a gimic to make it seem like they are doing something, without actually addressing teh real cause of the problem.
It's about the third time I've seen this story recycled in the last dozen years or so. Surprisingly enough, acoustic engineers do not appear to hold the key to a better atmosphere after all.

Haven't city been accused of pumping sound in??
Seems likely - I've defintiely heard it done at some smaller grounds - Selhurst Park springs to mind.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Price all the decent supporters out, and then complain it's soul-less.

Well done United.

Sir A1ex

On a related note to the above, if there's one thing I hope we never, ever do, it's go down the road of immediately playing music when a goal goes in. Normally something that everybody sings along to that goes "da-da da-da da". Boro were one of the first I remember doing it, but it now seems rife with smaller clubs.

I would honestly consider no longer giong to matches if that happened.

Sir A1ex

Price all the decent supporters out, instruct stewards to obsessively ensure everybody sits down, make no effort to use our position as the country's biggest club to push for safe standing, and generally do everything possible to ensure that the undesirable hard-core fan is kept away, while day-trippers fill the tills at the megastore.... and then complain it's soul-less.

Well done United.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
United bring in acoustic engineer to fix crap atmosphere

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/05/manchester-united-old-trafford-atmosphere

Not sure how he'll do that if everybody is eating crisps
The acoustic are actually an issue - everything changed when they expanded and opened up the stadium - not really sure what can be done about it though

used to easily hear the Stretford End from Kstand and vice versa but nowadays the sound mostly gets lost in the ether

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
This is the club's fault. A bunch of posh families at Old Trafford on a day out do nothing but warm seats.

A singing section would help, but the only way to make it drastically better is to have safe standing and lower ticket prices. Preferably the latter. I'm sure it doesn't help that there are likely a number of corporate seats throughout OT.

Bread

Price all the decent supporters out, instruct stewards to obsessively ensure everybody sits down, make no effort to use our position as the country's biggest club to push for safe standing, and generally do everything possible to ensure that the undesirable hard-core fan is kept away, while day-trippers fill the tills at the megastore.... and then complain it's soul-less.

Well done United.
This is the club's fault. A bunch of posh families at Old Trafford on a day out do nothing but warm seats.

A singing section would help, but the only way to make it drastically better is to have safe standing and lower ticket prices. Preferably the latter. I'm sure it doesn't help that there are likely a number of corporate seats throughout OT.

Well done United.
All very very true.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Well done United.
so I guess you don't consider yourself to be a 'decent supporter' since you have not been priced out yet? :smirk:

Price is part of the problem, but there are many factors that have lead to a worsening of the atmosphere at OT - and several of those factors apply to every ground in the country, it is a problem for football in general.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
so I guess you don't consider yourself to be a 'decent supporter' since you have not been priced out yet? :smirk:

Price is part of the problem, but there are many factors that have lead to a worsening of the atmosphere at OT - and several of those factors apply to every ground in the country, it is a problem for football in general.
I've been priced out of ST's.

I only roll up for the biggies these days as you well know. I assume this is a common trend amongst supporters of other teams too like you say.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
ye but the idea that 'all the decent support' have been priced out is complete bollocks - some have been, but many thousands are still there.
That is the whole point in the singing section idea after all, get those who are left in the same area

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Well done United.

GGMU Manchester red devils :devil::devil:

Backrow Singer

ye but the idea that 'all the decent support' have been priced out is complete bollocks - some have been, but many thousands are still there.
That is the whole point in the singing section idea after all, get those who are left in the same area
The idea is that we will get all the singers together in a group rather than dotted about ST2 as we are know. The issue will be (along with the location of the away end) the 'older heads', and what they think about moving away from the Stretford End, and how they feel about it. Obviously it would be a huge step forward though, and having the vocal support nearer to the the pitch will hopefully insipire not only the players, but those of you in the North and South stands.

hp88

I heard United will be holding a trial run during the League Cup games next season, step in the right direction but I would have preferred it if they did it at a Premier League game as you have higher attendances.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The idea is that we will get all the singers together in a group rather than dotted about ST2 as we are know. The issue will be (along with the location of the away end) the 'older heads', and what they think about moving away from the Stretford End, and how they feel about it. Obviously it would be a huge step forward though, and having the vocal support nearer to the the pitch will hopefully insipire not only the players, but those of you in the North and South stands.
I think it is inevitable that some will want to stay in the Stretford End and I dont think that would be a problem anyway - i think there are enough singers to have a decent section behind each goal.
I seem to remember that a few thousand expressed interest in moving to a proposed singing section already

I heard United will be holding a trial run during the League Cup games next season, step in the right direction but I would have preferred it if they did it at a Premier League game as you have higher attendances.
where did you hear that?

hp88

I think it is inevitable that some will want to stay in the Stretford End and I dont think that would be a problem anyway - i think there are enough singers to have a decent section behind each goal.
I seem to remember that a few thousand expressed interest in moving to a proposed singing section already

where did you hear that?
My brother told me about this, I will try to find out who told him. It's going to be in N/E Quadrant Lower so it will opposite to the away fans.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Havent heard it myself, but do know that the club are supposed to be exploring other options after ruling out moving the away fans to T3 so it could be true.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Gonna trial 1.4k seats in the away section for Real Socidead. All info shared by Stretford end flags on twatter. They want to gauge reaction again.

psychdelicblues

In fact taking it a stage further we can have canned atmosphere, so if the crowd are a bit quiet, with the poweful pa systems now, just put on recordings of the stretford end in full voice in the 70's and early 80's, booming over Steve Round giving instructions to Ashley young.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Don't understand... In the away section? Does that mean the SE quad, with the away fans shifted elsewhere?
It's just being trialled for the Sociedad game. Away fans will likely be housed in East upper.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I'm a bit confused by this; I thought initially the idea was the have a safe standing section and this would supposedly create more atmosphere? This is basically just saying that a part of the ground will now sing? Why don't they do a wider campaign to get everyone singing?!

rufus diabolus

If you put people who want to sing together then they can get the chants going and hopefully other areas will follow, we currently have a section in West upper that sings and then pockets of people dotted around the stadium.

Some people will be more comfortable singing along with others nearby rather than as a minority in one of the other stands. Unfortunately safe standing is a long way off yet, i thought villa were going to trial it at some point.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm a bit confused by this; I thought initially the idea was the have a safe standing section and this would supposedly create more atmosphere? This is basically just saying that a part of the ground will now sing? Why don't they do a wider campaign to get everyone singing?!
Things have been tried in the past to get more people involved in the singing but unfortunately the fact is that not everyone actually wants to get involved - so the best idea is to group together everyone who does want to, hopefully it can spread from there as well over time.

safe standing has never been on the agenda for Old Trafford, standing is still actually illegal in the PL so even if the club wanted to they couldnt try it.