Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In

careyj

So what did you learn
Having watched it and read his books, you couldn’t be more wrong.
Well what did you learn from it that you didn't already know about SAF?
It's just a money making thing by his son on the back of his dad's heart attack, no more no less.
Very poor in my opinion bordering on cringe worthy and I couldn't be more right.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
So what did you learn

It's just a money making thing by his son on the back of his dad's heart attack, no more no less.
Very poor in my opinion bordering on cringe worthy and I couldn't be more right.
Why do you watch Manchester United? Is there anything new you saw in our last game that you hadn't seen?

We could write something like that about anything.

There haven't been many films about Fergie, he's not active in football anymore, so it's nice to have a book or a film from time to time. I actually enjoyed some of the stories, enjoyed the pictures from the old days.

I'll watch anything about Fergie and even if it's just to remind me what a great personality it is, I'm in.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
He sold Stam, kicked a boot at Becks, got rid of Roy. He had flaws. Most important man in our history, but let’s be even handed about it. He was in charge for two decades. He got some shit wrong. Move along.
He was right to do so, apart from maybe Stam, both Beckham and Keane had to be moved on. He would have moved Rooney on as well if it were up to him, but Moyes didn't have the balls to do what needed to be done. What he did is what most good teams loathe to do and we still struggle to do - let players go just towards the end of their peak and not let one players hold the club hostage.

SirAF

Ageist
He was right to do so, apart from maybe Stam, both Beckham and Keane had to be moved on. He would have moved Rooney on as well if it were up to him, but Moyes didn't have the balls to do what needed to be done. What he did is what most good teams loathe to do and we still struggle to do - let players go just towards the end of their peak and not let one players hold the club hostage.
Agreed, Ferguson even put it on a plate for him during one of his last interviews.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So what did you learn

Why do we have to learn anything? Must be exhausting being this cynical. :lol:

Rustyspider13

I watched it today and thought it was captivating. Nothing new in terms of information, but it gave me a newfound appreciation of not only the man himself, but also his family. The personal sacrifices made for 26 years on behalf of the club is staggering to think about.

At the end of it, all I could think about was how SAF deserves to see United lift another PL/CL before he passes. To know that the values of excellence and determination he tried to instill in the club didn't erode when he left. I hope that day comes soon.

djembatheking

Just finished watching it now, brilliant . He must have found it hard watching some of the lacklustre performances since he retired but get great pleasure watching Rashford, Greenwood and McTominay . Would love for him to see us win another League title.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Unbelievable watch!

Dying for the follow up Doc to release already!

David Moyes: Never Give You Up, Never Let You Down :angel:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought it was absolutely brilliant, like the man himself.

Maticmaker

SAF is a great man. It might have happened anyway. But for me that one is partly on him.
SAF could not have stopped what happened. The real rot set in when the previous major shareholder decided to make the Club his 'business' rather than just his (and his father's) 'passion', and he was instrumental in turning it into a quoted company on the exchange. Thereafter the latent potential at the club was unmissable and for predators like the Glazers it was made all too easy.

Oranges038

Watched this over the weekend. It's great to see this insight into his background, I've read his books and it's still interesting to see him talking about it. I quite liked the bits that showed him laughing and singing throughout OT. Showed a totally different side to him.

But they could have made this a in two 3 part trilogies like LOTR and the Hobbit that would take a day to get through and it would still be worth watching.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
SAF could not have stopped what happened. The real rot set in when the previous major shareholder decided to make the Club his 'business' rather than just his (and his father's) 'passion', and he was instrumental in turning it into a quoted company on the exchange. Thereafter the latent potential at the club was unmissable and for predators like the Glazers it was made all too easy.
I agree something along these lines would have happened sooner or later. But the Glazers leveraged buyout was an extreme example and could have been stopped at the time with sufficient will power, just as the Murdoch one was. After the Rock of Gibraltar affair no-one had much stomach for a fight and that's what made it all too easy.

Maticmaker

I agree something along these lines would have happened sooner or later. But the Glazers leveraged buyout was an extreme example and could have been stopped at the time with sufficient will power, just as the Murdoch one was. After the Rock of Gibraltar affair no-one had much stomach for a fight and that's what made it all too easy.
TBH I don't think that had anything to do with it, the Glazers had been 'scouting' United for sometime, and watching and learning from Murdoch's attempts. The public might have been shocked or even sickened by the fight/falling out between SAF and Magnier/McManus, but it had nothing to do with what the Glazers were planning, or could have done anything to stop it. The MU Shareholders Trust (now the MUST) made valiant attempts but were outgunned.
With their leveraged buyout the Glazers' were to take the prize, like night following day... inevitable.

BULB

I quite liked it, without thinking it was absolutely brilliant.

Hopefully there will be a part 2 that goes into detail beyond 1999.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just finished watching it now, brilliant . He must have found it hard watching some of the lacklustre performances since he retired but get great pleasure watching Rashford, Greenwood and McTominay . Would love for him to see us win another League title.
Well said.
Someone earlier said it was bordering on Cringe worthy.
There is nothing cringe worthy about anything associated with the Great Man.
The most important thing is that he is still alive. And hearing him say he was worried about loosing his memory or voice was highly important.
Just imagine the memories that man has. And his mind is still as crystal clear as ever.
I just love the man for what he did for our club. By the look of it, he still has that same fire burning in him.
And oh how he would love to pit himself against Pep and Klopp.
A true Manchester United legend and never to be forgotten. Ever.

RUCK4444

Well said.
The most important thing is that he is still alive. And hearing him say he was worried about loosing his memory or voice was highly important.
Just imagine the memories that man has. And his mind is still as crystal clear as ever.
I just love the man for what he did for our club. By the look of it, he still has that same fire burning in him.
Nonsense, like you said there is nothing remotely cringey about the great man.

Every single thing the man said he could back up and more, nothing cringey in that.

A true legend in a world where they word is used far to easily.

macheda14

This is just like his autobiographies. The first one leading up to 99 was fantastic. The one that came after was just a collection of memories ordered randomly.

djembatheking

Well said.
I love the man . When he came to United we were the definition of the sleeping giant . Great history , great players in the past , balon d`or winners but just couldn`t get it right to be top of the pile until SAF came along . I was born in 66 so grew up watching Liverpool dominate and Aston Villa and Forest winning European cups . Fergie changed everything in the 90s and all the teams he built were made of steely determination to be winners and never give in , a magical time that we may never see again. There was always a core of players with that will to win that just doesn`t seem to be there anymore , Robbo , Eric, Keane, Rooney, some giants of the game. Would love him to see us as Champions again.

Al-T

I was 22 when Sir Alex became manager and 49 when he retired.

I'll pretty much watch anything about him. He's maybe the only man in the world of whom I freely admit I am in awe of. I feel privileged to have watched the great teams he created. He cared about Manchester United as visceraly as any fan.

Did he make mistakes? Of course. Anyone in the job as long as him would. Do I care? No.

peridigm

Good watch. Enjoyed learning about SAF past as a player and his early manager job. Never looked it up before.
There was one takeaway that hit home for me. After SAF was in the hospital they mentioned he started telling stories from a long time ago and this was the brains way of testing it's memory. For several years we've endured listening to my 80+ year old father in law tell stories we've all heard hundreds of times. It's got a kind of "Big Fish" feel to it and I'm always trying to piece the timeline together. Some of what he retells is probably far from accurate as it used to be but always good stories. His wife gets upset when we visit and he starts talking again but my wife and I just listen because we know why he is doing this.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why isn’t this on Amazon yet?? I don’t want to have to watch it on my shit laptop & risk infecting it. I wanna watch it on my tv.

Gavinb33

Sensational what a man and what a great person his wife is pretty much doing all the family stuff for all that time on her own in a lot of cases because his dedication to football.

I was lucky enough to be at that game in 2018 not gonna lie teared up that day.

Giggs' right foot

I was 22 when Sir Alex became manager and 49 when he retired.

I'll pretty much watch anything about him. He's maybe the only man in the world of whom I freely admit I am in awe of. I feel privileged to have watched the great teams he created. He cared about Manchester United as visceraly as any fan.

Did he make mistakes? Of course. Anyone in the job as long as him would. Do I care? No.
It's wild. Not only did he manage United from my birth (December 1993) till I was 19 (an eternity for any 19-year-old) - he was also in charge seven years (!) before I was born - you would forgive me for thinking as a kid, that he'd outlast me. Never will that longevity happen again at this level.

I remember him being rushed to the hospital and there was what felt like a long time, where no one really knew if he'd make it or not. My girlfriend at the time asked if everything was alright, and so I explained what had happened, and the more I got to talking about it, tears all of a sudden rushed down my cheeks. I'd only seen him in real life at about 50-100 metres distance, from the other side of the pitch, the times I'd been to OT, but there I sat, shedding tears for a man, I've never even spoken to or shared a room with.

I never understood how fans of musicians or actors could be so involved in the lives of people they'd never met, and would probably never meet, but after me sobbing back in 2018, I can totally see the significance of your idol's wellbeing. I hope he reaches 100 years (probably the time needed for us to win the league again :nervous: ).

Amir

I doubt it. It ended in 1999 because the film had a clear narrative of how his upbringing and early life experiences forged him and his character. And it all culminated perfectly in that 1999 final.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I love the man . When he came to United we were the definition of the sleeping giant . Great history , great players in the past , balon d`or winners but just couldn`t get it right to be top of the pile until SAF came along . I was born in 66 so grew up watching Liverpool dominate and Aston Villa and Forest winning European cups . Fergie changed everything in the 90s and all the teams he built were made of steely determination to be winners and never give in , a magical time that we may never see again. There was always a core of players with that will to win that just doesn`t seem to be there anymore , Robbo , Eric, Keane, Rooney, some giants of the game. Would love him to see us as Champions again.
Yes. I well remember those days before Sir Alex Ferguson came to Old Trafford.
Prior to that, I first fell in love with Manchester United during the Munich disaster.
We were very much a sleeping giant and Sir Alex not only woke us up, he transformed us into serial winners.
He was particularly clever to bring real leaders in the dressing room and on the pitch.
He was both like a father and like a headmaster.
Us United fans enjoyed decades of success due to him and his management.
And I am sure we will never ever forget that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did the people who saw this early really illegally download something Sir Alex Ferguson himself has an interest in?

Please tell me it was purchasable somewhere else and you didn't steal from him.