Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Please happen. We have suffered enough. Will somebody think of the god damn children. Hahahaha

Sviken

this idiot knows nothing. There's been smoke for weeks now regarding the sale of the club and a billionaire doesn't wake one day and says "today I'll buy this". It's been planned for some time. Whether it will happen is another thing entirely.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Is he the DM we’ve all been crying out for? HIM FDJ and Casemiro Antony Martinez Malcia and Eriksen is a great transfer window :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You lot cool with the whole him being a massive brexiteer thing?
Not really. But relative to human rights violations or whatever I guess it could be worse. I think I'm right in saying the Glazers supported Trump? In which case we wouldn't exactly be downgrading on that score either.

Ultimately I suspect you'd struggle to find people rich enough to buy United who aren't to some degree horrible as that degree of wealth seems to trend in that direction. There's a line I wouldn't cross in terms of who I'd want owning the club but I don't think being pro-Brexit is beyond it.

Redfan94

You lot cool with the whole him being a massive brexiteer thing?
You say that as though he’s got ‘SS’ tattooed in the style of lightning bolts on his chest.

Fact, there’s not a billionaire out there who doesn’t vote based on what’s best for their own and financial interests.

RuudTom83

Just the thought of being rid of the Glazers makes you warm inside...even if this is just another twitter trending topic and nothing comes of it.

One day the club will be free, be it this year or in 10 years time, it will happen and when that day comes it will be a great day to celebrate.

It is probably the first time the failure is being blamed predominantly at their feet. ETH can't be to blamed (yet) and Murtough/Arnold have only just taken the reins.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's that based on?
Saw it on Reddit earlier from someone who follows Nice. Apparently he’s trying to apply the same formula as he had with Sky, refusing to acknowledge that football and cycling are two different sports with completely different dynamics. He’s stubborn and a bit of a know-it-all.

Wicked_Badger

Billionaires operate in the same circles. Maybe Elon Musk truly knew something we didn't until later today
He’s a huge WUM (& dickhead). If the Glazers are sounding out potential buyers, I’m sure he would’ve got wind of it.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if that tweet was based on the fact he knew something was up & wanted to stir up folk. He’s an attention-whore.

Sviken

Not really. But relative to human rights violations or whatever I guess it could be worse. I think I'm right in saying the Glazers supported Trump? In which case we wouldn't exactly be downgrading on that score either.

Ultimately I suspect you'd struggle to find people rich enough to buy United who aren't to some degree horrible as that degree of wealth seems to trend in that direction. There's a line I wouldn't cross in terms of who I'd want owning the club but I don't think being pro-Brexit is beyond it.
The only line I wouldn't cross as far as the Glazer ownership is sheikh blood money. Anything else - can't be worse.

Dve

I could imagine Becks and Neville being involved. Becks with money and Neville maybe more involved with some decision making.
Ronaldo. Then he´d sell himself first day at office.

Gordon S

After seeing +250 players rumoured to United this week, i`m going to try and keep it in my pants for a little longer. But not gonna lie, would honestly cry for real if this happened. Obviously no guarantee it would work as well as we all hope for but having a owner who actually cares about what happens on the pitch would be such a welcome change. 17 years is a long feckin time.

Revaulx

Now we have to kiss this bloke’s arse, does that mean we all need to become global warming deniers?

If only the Glazers would employ competent people to run the club on their behalf, I’d rather stick with them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Apparently Brailsford has fecked things up at Nice. Hope he isn’t given a major role. He always came across as a little too smug whenever he gave interviews during the Team Sky days.
How so?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not much of a conspiracy person, buuuut maybe we went from Rabiot and Arnautovic to Casemiro and Felix because more money all of a sudden appeared?

Just thinking out loud... in text.

Marcelinho87

After seeing +250 players rumoured to United this week, i`m going to try and keep it in my pants for a little longer. But not gonna lie, would honestly cry for real if this happened. Obviously no guarantee it would work as well as we all hope for but having a owner who actually cares about what happens on the pitch would be such a welcome change. 17 years is a long feckin time.
Think this has more meat to it than transfer rumours considering his own spokesperson has confirmed it.

Sviken

Now we have to kiss this bloke’s arse, does that mean we all need to become global warming deniers?
Jesus, who the feck cares about this? He'll just be the owner. You're not obligated at all to follow him politically as a United fan. What, the Glazers are the pinnacle of morals or something? Some of you guys... so naive. And I'm not trying to insult you, but very childlike perspective of things. It has been said numerous times but nobody who has the money to buy United is going to be a decent human being. So let's just stop it at that, this isnt a fairy tale.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

If only the Glazers would employ competent people to run the club on their behalf, I’d rather stick with them.

The Glazers gave money to Trumps campaign…that for me means they deserve any and all the shit that comes their way.

Hopefully their daddy lied on a loan application somewhere and they are held to account for it and spend the next 10 years in jail being someone called Big Dion’s prison wife. Especially the one with the stupid pony tail.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s a huge WUM (& dickhead). If the Glazers are sounding out potential buyers, I’m sure he would’ve got wind of it.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if that tweet was based on the fact he knew something was up & wanted to stir up folk. He’s an attention-whore.
I could be wrong here but I am sure I read somewhere that that there had been an unusually high number of trades on Utd Shares in the last couple of days. Elon drop's the Mic and share price goes up by 5%. Wonder who bought them shares.........

Nice bit of Holiday spends for Elon that :)

Marcelinho87

You will NOT find a billionaire ANYWHERE in the world without some shitty side to them, it is what it is.. Him denying global warming is his opinion, it has no effect on anything.

RedDevil@84

I could be wrong here but I am sure I read somewhere that that there had been an unusually high number of trades on Utd Shares in the last couple of days. Elon drop's the Mic and share price goes up by 5%. Wonder who bought them shares.........

Nice bit of Holiday spends for Elon that :)
Isn't that illegal?

DSG

You say that as though he’s got ‘SS’ tattooed in the style of lightning bolts on his chest.

Fact, there’s not a billionaire out there who doesn’t vote based on what’s best for their own and financial interests.
There are a lot of billionaires who vote on values over financial interests. This is well documented.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Glazers won’t let this cash cow slip out of their greasy, greedy, lecherous debt-ridden claws.
Yea they will. Their regime is dead. There's no way back for them because they refuse to change and admit that they are the issue. Promoting Arnold and Murtough was just further proof that they are clueless.

Redjazz

How wealthy is Ratcliffe compared to owners of other football teams?

Wondering how complicated the financial leveraging would be for him to buy/run the club and what degree of returns he'd need to see for it to be viable.
From an investment pov, the club isn't worth 5b. No where close.
The glazers bought United at 16 times cash profits, a bullish price justified on the basis that there was untapped commercial potential. 5B runs at 30+ times current cash profits. Where is the untapped potential this time around? The landscape is also much different- competition is more fierce and diverse.
One of my biggest gripes with the Glazer's ownership (apart from the exorbitant ownership costs) was the aggressive for-profit model itself. Maximizing revenues and restricting costs ( the basis of shareholder value and returns) means you can't have winning on the pitch as your primary goal. It's simply not feasible because the preponderance of the market is run on-not-for profit basis, which in turn means that the primary costs in the game (wages and player acquisition costs) are set at near break even. In fact, I reckon those costs are above break-even with the petrodollar clubs subsidizing their spending with bogus commercial deals.
"No value in the market" might have been used as an excuse in the past for not buying players, but I reckon it's pretty accurate if the value being described is shareholder value.
Unless a shareholder owned club has unique advantages (on the revenue side), its virtually impossible to be consistently competitive while delivering strong shareholder returns.
Yeah, so 5b isn't giving any rational investor a viable return.

DSG

Yes he is.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why do folk here talk as if being pro brevity is the same as literally running an authoritative regime that engages in literal human right abuse, folk need to give their heads a wobble.

Billionaires engage in shady business all the time which at times borders on being outright criminal (like running slave mines and such in Africa) but to be only bothered about him supporting a political position that seemingly tma slim majority of that country supported is weird.