Sir Jim Ratcliffe: I want to buy Manchester United | Will make a bid for the club [Telegraph]

Member 101269

How did Liverpool managed to compete with City? We're 10 times bigger then those rats
You're talking about Liverpool selling a player for 140m and getting lucky with purchases. it's not the same

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
fair enough. There again consortiums are in it for the money. Ratcliffe might enter football out of his love for the game. He is a Manchester United supporter after all.
The point wasn't about Ratcliffe motives.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Pray the Glazers don't spend anymore money. A big buy would suggest there's nothing too imminent.

If no more money is spent in this window it could suggest they're in their final few months.
Nah. Players are assets and go on the balance sheet. Big purchases should only make the price go up.

Abraxas

This seems to follow on from what he said last time. It was never not interested full stop. He seems to want an entrance into the PL, that's for sure. It's about the Glazers and how they are positioned. If they are open to a sale in the near future, it makes a big difference to negotiating with them.

Maybe the Glazers resolve to hang on will start to erode with some of the negative financial trends and the sheer scale of the task. I don't think they're going to claw on forever, just for a dividend like people claim. There's realising billions of quid which can be reinvested, or there is a 20 mill dividend. The Glazers have and will continue to use us as a cash cow, but part B of their strategy has been the long term growth of our valuation, which may be at its apex.

Delano

It's the only thing that makes sense. Our complete refusal to buy new players, removing high earners, zero investment.

The leaches are stripping it before selling it.

Acquire Me

Pray the Glazers don't spend anymore money. A big buy would suggest there's nothing too imminent.

If no more money is spent in this window it could suggest they're in their final few months.
Not necessarily no. The asset is more worth with good players and a team that can challenge.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Funny that he is the majority shareholder in Mercedes and their team principal was only this week detailing that he studied Man Utd as a case study in what not to do in running a sporting business.

ufb

Clearlake has more money but they will also want a very significant ROI from their Chelsea investment - they are a private equity firm after all. They have an AUM of 72 billion but that is very different than a billionaire growing a club through their own funds.

TheReligion

Abusive

Disagree. The budget is already set.

The club is more attractive and valuable if it’s doing well and has better assets

Marcelinho87

Our finances aren't as strong as the used to be, There is a need to retool the squad, build a new stadium for the mens team, develop a stadium for the womens team and redevelop carrington.

That is expensive on top of buying united.
Whilst true, our income is still one of the very best available... The first team can take care of itself, the rest he can invest in over the years.

We will be fine.

cyberman

So if he’s worth 7b and the reported price is 6b then it’s another leveraged buy out?

Acquire Me

Funny that he is the majority shareholder in Mercedes and their team principal was only this week detailing that he studied Man Utd as a case study in what not to do in running a sporting business.
It makes so much sense for them to sell for that price now. They probably know they will earn if they stay, but they are not running the sport side of the business good enough and might not gain a lot more even if they did succeed with Erik ten Hags project.

Fingers crossed.

RC89

Has Sir Jim Ratcliffe got enough money with 12B to compete with City? I'm just not sure.
Well look at this this way, Pool are competing with City. The right setup can be all the difference and the club can pretty much fund itself. Pool have run city very close and won the league on another occasion with a CL to boot. I don't think we need a whole lot of outside investment in transfers, maybe for the infrastructure e.g. stadium, training ground etc.

Avero

Would be great, but with him being 70 years old in a month, we would probably need a new owner again pretty soon

Eplel

Is he any good? I've not watched any of the harry potter movies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He owns a few sports teams.

Majority holder of the Mercedes f1 team.

The Ineos cycling team.

Nice fc in ligue 1
Transfer deadline day bid for Lewis Hamilton? Arsenal fan but so was Mkhitaryan...

Would be great, but with him being 70 years old in a month, we would probably need a new owner again pretty soon
69 year old billionaire. I'll probably be dead before he is.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So if he’s worth 7b and the reported price is 6b then it’s another leveraged buy out?
He’s looking to come in initially as a minority owner - maybe until he gets a consortium together to take full control?

angak

I'd prefer them gone full stop to be honest. I can see them selling a minority stake to someone like him, using the money to invest in the stadium / placate some fans, and then just continue on the way they have been for another 5-10 years.

What actual power would he have?
Everyone billionaire will eventually want full control. What is the point otherwise?