Sir Ryan Giggs

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope Giggsy can have 1 more year this year at the top, and then if willing slip out of the game with his head held high, into a coaching role with us.

The man is Utd through and through, and he deserves/needs to be around the club in some sort of role.

He will be what Bobby Charlton is today in the future IMO.

Thisistheone

Another impressive stat for him.

Actually was looking at the all time PL appearances the other day after Barry made it to 500 and Giggsy could be under threat from Lampard for the no.1 spot:

Giggs 623
James 572
Lampard 557

If Frank carries on for another 3 seasons or so he could get there.

jeff_goldblum

He started really early for Aston Villa, about 17 years old or so.

I went to see one of his first games for Villa about 10-15 years ago at the Stadium of Light, the Sunderland programme had a little section about Villa's outstanding young left-back who was destined to be an England great :smirk:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep, same here. He made three of them falling on their arses.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is incredible. Was very good on Wednesday. Also hard to believe he was probably the best player on the pitch in the first leg against Madrid last year.

Does anyone remember what position he played that night?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He is incredible. Was very good on Wednesday. Also hard to believe he was probably the best player on the pitch in the first leg against Madrid last year.

In the middle with Jones and Carrick.

Is there a reason why Giggsy always manages to turn it on in cup games? Off the top of my head there's Wednesday, the Madrid game(s) and that West Ham game last season where he has been very good to outstanding.

Thisistheone

If I remember correctly, he played right wing...or right side of a midfield 3 and was brilliant. Hard to believe a 39 year old can still produce that level of performance against one of the best sides in the world.

Amazing gif by the way Amar

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
That's right, thanks.

Goes to show that Giggs still has a role to play in a midfield 3. Still only want him in Cup games and if we are desperate for a goal. I remember his pass to Owen for the winner against City. Brilliant pass and so much composure knowing the game could end at any second.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

He came on late in the game (still had a good chance to win the game) so I think you're confusing the first leg with the second one. And it's difficult to say what position he played at OT, remember him switching wings, or rather left and right channels of the central midfield.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Giggs loves trolling us fans, doesn't he? Worst player on the pitch in a cameo performance against Premier League also-rans? "It's alright, gents, I'll just run the show against Europe's elite in a few days time. In central midfield. At 40 years of age."

Peerless.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
A few more performances like that and who knows, maybe we'll stop seeing kids wtfying line-ups in matchday threads.

MJJ

Giggs loves trolling us fans, doesn't he? Worst player on the pitch in a cameo performance against Premier League also-rans? "It's alright, gents, I'll just run the show against Europe's elite in a few days time. In central midfield. At 40 years of age."

Peerless.
:wenger:

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
The thing that I don't understand is that so many seem to want to put down any poor performance by Giggs as a sign that he's past it, whilst all the statistics clearly show that his fitness levels haven't dropped. He hasn't played well this season, but all players lose form occasionally. In the last few years I doubt anyone would argue he's put in some of the best performances by any United player, although of course he has been inconsistent.

I personally enjoy watching Giggs play more than any other now that Scholes is gone.

Adam-Utd

It's quite amazing how there is a huge lack of dribbling CM's in the world really.

If you think about it, how many of them can go on a mazy run like that through the middle of the pitch?.

Fabregas, Gundogan, Wilshere are a few off the top of my head, but it is certainly a quality that is missing in many players.

Giggs really is a special man, and will quite rightly be remembered as a legend of the game.

Thisistheone

It's quite amazing how there is a huge lack of dribbling CM's in the world really.

If you think about it, how many of them can go on a mazy run like that through the middle of the pitch?.

Fabregas, Gundogan, Wilshere are a few off the top of my head, but it is certainly a quality that is missing in many players.

Giggs really is a special man, and will quite rightly be remembered as a legend of the game.
Makes you wonder how good he'd appear in todays game, if he was in his prime? If he can produce this at 40 what would an 18 year old Giggs do to current defenders?

Adam-Utd

Makes you wonder how good he'd appear in todays game, if he was in his prime? If he can produce this at 40 what would an 18 year old Giggs do to current defenders?
He sure would come handy down the left wing right about now!

Thisistheone

I think it's fair to call them elite. If you're in the CL at this stage you're a good team. The spanish league is competitive and any team reaching the CL from that country is going to be a tough opponent.
Think the original post meant Real Madrid, not Sociedad?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: So true.

Would solve a lot of our problems!
A 22 year Giggs and Scholes would be unbelievable but these players are once in a generation/lifetime players and to have them at he same time for so long was unique.

Thisistheone

A 22 year Giggs and Scholes would be unbelievable but these players are once in a generation/lifetime players and to have them at he same time for so long was unique.
Aye. We have been lucky/spoilt over the last 20 years for sure.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Think the original post meant Real Madrid, not Sociedad?
I think the original post says that Real Sociedad is among the elite of europe. He was talking about Giggs and running the show against them. I am almost 100% sure he meant that game since he's talking about Giggs being subed on last game and looking shit while he's looking awesome the following game. Then MJJ replies with a smiley that insinuate Real Sociedad not being a good enough team to shine against - as if we were playing some friendly game in Asia.

What I am saying here is that Real Sociedad is a good enough team to be called Elite. It's not a walk in the park reaching the CL in spain.
And if the original poster is talking about Real Madrid, then MJJ's comment makes even less sense.

Thisistheone

I think the original post says that Real Sociedad is among the elite of europe. He was talking about Giggs and running the show against them. I am almost 100% sure he meant that game since he's talking about Giggs being subed on last game and looking shit while he's looking awesome the following game. Then MJJ replies with a smiley that insinuate Real Sociedad not being a good enough team to shine against - as if we were playing some friendly game in Asia.

What I am saying here is that Real Sociedad is a good enough team to be called Elite. It's not a walk in the park reaching the CL in spain.
And if the original poster is talking about Real Madrid, then MJJ's comment makes even less sense.
Oh right, perhaps it was Sociedad he meant. Either way I agree with you.

MJJ

I think it's fair to call them elite. If you're in the CL at this stage you're a good team. The spanish league is competitive and any team reaching the CL from that country is going to be a tough opponent.
They are placed 12th in la liga this year, having only won 2 matches from 9 and are struggling big time this year after losing illarramendi.

And am not comparing them to a friendly in asia but elite is pushing it. Europe's elite would be barca, real, bayern, juventus(history) and us.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
They are placed 12th in la liga this year, having only won 2 matches from 9 and are struggling big time this year after losing illarramendi.

And am not comparing them to a friendly in asia but elite is pushing it. Europe's elite would be barca, real, bayern, juventus(history) and us.
Hmm I didn't know they were that shit. Yeah, you're right then.