Site changes coming this Summer

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Features I'd like to have include:

• real-time discussion during matches. NOT a chat room, but essentially a normal topic where new posts appear without refreshing
  • post match player ratings with season leaderboards, stats, graphs etc
  • post match Man of the Match voting with season leaderboards, stats, graphs etc
  • Pre-match score predictions game with a league table of the most accurate users
  • match previews articles (the ask the opposition slot which Solius is currently doing could be part of this)
  • automated / interactive lineups game (currently run by Big-Red here).
  • other cool features people come up with...
These features all sound fantastic!

OJKernow

The changes to the match day forum sound especially interesting, at the moment I tend to avoid going in there but the suggestions above could change that for me and a few other users I would imagine.

I also like the Dons suggestion about notifications, particularly if someone quotes one of your posts. In the threads that get lots of activity it can be quite easy to miss it when someone directs a response or question towards you.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
One suggestion I'd love to see implemented.

A "like" button for posts you like and a "reputation" feature where we can give positive or negative rep to individual users based on their posting.
People end up getting butthurt. One forum I post on has it and I deliberately neg people to see who's cool and who's a big girl's blouse.

I'm in favour of it. It's great fun.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People end up getting butthurt. One forum I post on has it and I deliberately neg people to see who's cool and who's a big girl's blouse.

I'm in favour of it. It's great fun.
Yeah so far there's a lot of cool and hip kids getting down with my idea, while the fuddyduddies tut away and think of the upset.

I think it's safe to say that Niall, being someone who is handsome and down with the kids will implement a like feature in the near future.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Both. Image resizing, quotations, replies to threads, mentions.
Nice, hopefully Niall can get that added then when the change over happens.

A section that says what clubs a player supports like location current under our names would be a nice touch as well.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is this another ruse to instigate another mass purge of unlikely characters, ala the last one you did in 2001/2002? :p

Yes, I'm bitter about this too! :)

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Excitement!

As for bans-unbanning, can admins change passwords? Change them to something else if so.

It looks a little too bold-type to me, but overall a nice revamp. In the 3rd picture Rado_N's signature doesn't fit.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I don't want a like based rep feature. It's good to have people take an opposing view on subjects in order to further discussion. With this feature their e-rep would take a pounding. Less people will then take the opposing view, except a few trolls who would play up to it (alastair/Scholesy types). Others will just suck up to eachother. It'd be awful.

Brophs

The One and Only
No surprise one of the pics has Nick talking about men wearing tight shirts.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Looks pretty good Niall.

Not a huge fan of the third picture though. Seems to lack a bit of colour or something.
I agree. I think line separation between the posts need to be more defined. I guess its still a work in progress so will look forward to the final look.

The features you propose sounds really great. Wish it gets implemented as it spells out. Thumbs up!

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Good stuff Niall and anyone else with input. I am the first to say the current layout and look is absolutely horrendous. But I have grown to like it. Clean and comfy.

Can't say I really like the new look that you posted but whatever, if the forum works that is all that matters.

New features look great as well. Thanks for the time and effort.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I don't want a like based rep feature. It's good to have people take an opposing view on subjects in order to further discussion. With this feature their e-rep would take a pounding. Less people will then take the opposing view, except a few trolls who would play up to it (alastair/Scholesy types). Others will just suck up to eachother. It'd be awful.
I agree. I think it will further add to the "cliquey" feel some posters were wary about in the "Caf Improvements" thread in the general within the past week.

P.S Great effort on trying to modernise the site, Niall. Those proposals look the business in general.

Shark

@NotShark
Looks class Niall. The only thing I'm not too sure of is the 'like and points' thing. RedCafe is a place of so much discussion and debate and the ability to simply like posts might hamper that.

Stretch

Looks Ace! The only thing that you should try avoid is the 'like' thing as has been mentioned. e-cliques will grow exponentially. But otherwise the features sound great.

Dante

Average bang
Looks good, especially the in-built player ratings/MOTM features. It'll make up for the disappointment of not signing a midfielder this Summer.

My only question would be about post timestamps. The screenshot in the OP shows posts with no posting times to them. Will there be an option to enable that because I quite like knowing the time at which posts were originally made?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Looks good, especially the in-built player ratings/MOTM features. It'll make up for the disappointment of not signing a midfielder this Summer.

My only question would be about post timestamps. The screenshot in the OP shows posts with no posting times to them. Will there be an option to enable that because I quite like knowing the time at which posts were originally made?
I'd be in favour of that too, it really would help in WW games,which I take will still happen?
Could it be at all possible to have a post recommendation system as well?
Or has someone already mentioned it already. Might make the mods/scouts jobs a bit easier.( it would be anonymous by the way, so it wouldn't look tacky, but more as an aid towards the mods..)

Really liking the look of this.

It's gonna be a slick update to the Caf we all know. The automated features will definitely make a difference as well. So many people have their time wasted trying to organise all that on here.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'd be in favour of that too, it really would help in WW games,which I take will still happen?
Or has someone already mentioned it already. Might make the mods/scouts jobs a bit easier.( it would be anonymous by the way, so it wouldn't look tacky, but more as an aid towards the mods..)
A lot of potential for that to be abused... unless it is set so you can't recommend your own posts.

Dante

Average bang
I've had a play around on the official XenForo forum and it looks as though any post which is less than one week old will get an automatic timestamp and day of the week. Posts older than one week only have the date listed, although if you hover your cursor over it you can get the exact time as well.

I like it, and I'm normally frightened by change.