Site changes coming this Summer

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
  • Liam is banned
  • real-time discussion during matches. NOT a chat room, but essentially a normal topic where new posts appear without refreshing
  • post match player ratings with season leaderboards, stats, graphs etc
  • post match Man of the Match voting with season leaderboards, stats, graphs etc
  • Pre-match score predictions game with a league table of the most accurate users
  • match previews articles (the ask the opposition slot which Solius is currently doing could be part of this)
  • automated / interactive lineups game (currently run by Big-Red here).
  • other cool features people come up with...
Sounds great.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
will we be able to show video/media from more sources other than youtube something like a [media][/media] tag, to cover music, videos etc

Dante

Average bang
The Na'vi are are an honest and peace loving race. I'm sick of all the bigotry towards them.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
will we be able to show video/media from more sources other than youtube something like a [media][/media] tag, to cover music, videos etc
Yes, XenForo supports embedding media from Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo and YouTube.

Will Absolute

No like/dislike function please. If you want to express approval/disapproval of a post, get off your arse and reply!

And please don't interfere with smileys. I love smileys. :):o

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yes, XenForo supports embedding media from Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo and YouTube.
Brilliant, now which poor sod has to transfer over the php database of members to the new site.

Cevno

Yeah, the embeding feature on XenForo is gun. Just copy paste the link and it embeds the video automatically.

For other links there is a extract the heading option too.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Looks great. :D Probably been suggested but it'd be good if there was an option to tell you if someone has quoted you.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Not to Blow my own trumpet but some of the key changes are my ideas

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Not to Blow my own trumpet but some of the key changes are my ideas
It's not far from the truth. In fact baz's role was so pivotal that when Niall broke the news to the modmins he wanted to change the site's name to bazcafe but Wibbs and Livvie were against it. As a team we like to have 100% agreement on these sorts of decisions, so the idea was shelved.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
World class stuff. I've been worried quite some time we would end up with an old site seeing other pages pop up and take market shares (users) away with a more modern site.

First of all I would like to congratulate you on taking this step. I can understand it's been a hard decision knowing users are very fragile and sentimental when it comes to their sites. A small change and you could pretty much lose your whole base of users.

I think most people know me as a friend of Facebook and I still hope we will be able to implement that feature one day. It's definitely the best way of communicating and secure future growth of the site. Fresh blood is very important as studies shows an average users life time on a forum is about 5-6 years. Most people who joined us in 2005 have now moved on from their boyhood room to being potential fathers of 2 and all the other priorities that comes with it.

Once again, excellent decision and congratulation on a new site.

I don't see anything wrong with the "like" feature.

It gives people a general consensus on whether a post is well received without those infinitely annoying "This" posts, or unnecessary posts that "agree" without adding anything to the discussion.
Oh please!! Where were you when we had this discussion? I was pretty much alone on the front line.

https://www.redcafe.net/f14/like-function-forum-365350/

Will Absolute

I think most people know me as a friend of Facebook and I still hope we will be able to implement that feature one day. It's definitely the best way of communicating and secure future growth of the site. Fresh blood is very important as studies shows an average users life time on a forum is about 5-6 years. Most people who joined us in 2005 have now moved on from their boyhood room to being potential fathers of 2 and all the other priorities that comes with it.

https://www.redcafe.net/f14/like-function-forum-365350/
Never heard of you.

Revan

Assumptionman
Like/dislike is one of the most childish thing, and I hope that we will never have that here.

The new changes look good.

togg

I love this old site, it's like a comfy cosy home with a creaky old settee and worn carpets...but very functional. However, there is always a time to move on and with our 20th coming up it makes total sense. Looks very slick and more up to date, but at the same time..pretty familiar. I suppose really its more like the old house being modernised...

.....ah enough of this sentimental tripe....

Thanks so much Niall for all your hard work in making this the best place on the net to discuss anything united....really looking forward to the new look...

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Also, I rather like that each poster can add something in the 'location' box, I have an easier time remembering people by their 'location' than their name. In the working version it appears to be missing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's not far from the truth. In fact baz's role was so pivotal that when Niall broke the news to the modmins he wanted to change the site's name to bazcafe but Wibbs and Livvie were against it. As a team we like to have 100% agreement on these sorts of decisions, so the idea was shelved.
CafeBaz was a far better idea of mine. Not to mention the wall building forum got voted down as well.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think most people know me as a friend of Facebook and I still hope we will be able to implement that feature one day. It's definitely the best way of communicating and secure future growth of the site.
I sincerely hope that Niall chooses to keep this site a million miles away from FB. It seems to be doing an excellent job of retaining current members and gaining new ones without having to trawl the depths of social networking sites. Its reputation as a top-quality football forum is paramount, not "Roney u r boss of red devilz. Sir Forgie iz legend. Y no buy Messi?"

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I sincerely hope that Niall chooses to keep this site a million miles away from FB. It seems to be doing an excellent job of retaining current members and gaining new ones without having to trawl the depths of social networking sites. Its reputation as a top-quality football forum is paramount, not "Roney u r boss of red devilz. Sir Forgie iz legend. Y no buy Messi?"
This. Leave FB to the teens and attention seeking twats (ok ok, we got our special people here too :cool::nervous: ). I like the new look and I hope it keeps it's shape where you can have a proper discussion, that's what it's all about in the end

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
For parts of the new Match Day section I'm creating avatar like images for each United player, mimicking the back of their jersey. Something like this:

It'd like to make it look as accurate as possible but have no idea what font is used for the current United home jersey. Anyone know? It may well be a custom type face so any recommendations for close approximations would be welcome too.

Here's the real thing:

Zen86

For parts of the new Match Day section I'm creating avatar like images for each United player, mimicking the back of their jersey. Something like this:

It'd like to make it look as accurate as possible but have no idea what font is used for the current United home jersey. Anyone know? It may well be a custom type face so any recommendations for close approximations would be welcome too...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110907175502AAJFIaM

This seems to cover it

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Seen that but it's a couple of years old and not the same font. See the image I added to my original post.