Site changes coming this Summer

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've always longed for a Phil Mitchell smiley.

Phil

Have you thought about using something like Skimbit for affiliate links?

Can be overkill, but can bring in those dollar bills.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
For parts of the new Match Day section I'm creating avatar like images for each United player, mimicking the back of their jersey. Something like this:

It'd like to make it look as accurate as possible but have no idea what font is used for the current United home jersey. Anyone know? It may well be a custom type face so any recommendations for close approximations would be welcome too.

Here's the real thing:

I use this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?9hm63ll84ll98h3

It's the same font, but the Premier League have altered the scale of the numbers.

A little mess around in Photoshop will get something that looks the same though:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks for the fonts guys, exactly what I'm looking for.

GE you're right, the proportions are a little different. Is that from a PSD you made yourself? Any chance you could send it to me to use as a template? :)

S.A.N.F

Niall thanks for the post, if most of the mentioned new features get baked into the new system I will be beyond impressed, fantastic stuff we all appreciate it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If the kb limit is set so low that people can only use stills I don't see a problem. Also regulate the size limit to 150x150.
I'm sure people can find an annoying still just as easily, so that wouldn't solve the problem. Plus have a mass of tiny pictures down the side makes things look a bit messy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is it possible to get notifications each time someone replies to a post of yours or quotes you?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
As long as its clean and nice, easy to read and use, and no avatar and signature, and pretty much similar to the present in terms of user experience, then its fine. I prefer minimal in style with user friendly interface, like those imac apps and new hotmail interface.

lilcurt

As long as its clean and nice, easy to read and use, and no avatar and signature, and pretty much similar to the present in terms of user experience, then its fine. I prefer minimal in style with user friendly interface, like those imac apps and new hotmail interface.
What do you have against avatars? I'd love a avatar feature, I agree with you on the signatures though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What do you have against avatars? I'd love a avatar feature, I agree with you on the signatures though.
My thoughts exactly.

A tiny avatar doesn't take away from the sites aesthetics but makes people easily remembered. It gives people a face of sorts and its easier to remember someone by a picture than a name.

I still only really "know" the personality of about 10 or so names on here. While have a good idea of the personality of all the avatar bearers. The same for when everyone got an avatar for Smashed. feck knows who they are now.

Another forum I have been on for around 18 months has Avatars that can only be changed 2 times in a year and I "know" the personalities of a good 100 or so on there.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Too much visual distraction for my liking. Cafe is good place for discussion due to its simplicity and content-oriented interface. We come and look purely at content here, instead of being visually distracted by those "noisy" user avatars in every reply.

Rudie

Mentary
Another no to avatars, the minimal and clean style of the Caf has always been its best feature, not sure on the orange header but other than that it's looking good.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I prefer the caf without avatars.

Of course with all of these changes its only a matter of time now before they announce me the latest and greatest mod addition the caf has ever seen.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yes, XenForo supports embedding media from Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo and YouTube.
Nice.

Xenforo does have some slick features. Like/dislike is routinely abused all over in sporting forums although Rep does seem to work better.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Thanks for the fonts guys, exactly what I'm looking for.

GE you're right, the proportions are a little different. Is that from a PSD you made yourself? Any chance you could send it to me to use as a template? :)
Sure, check you PM.

askabob

I like XenForo but I think the new theme would be a step down in terms of usability and design.

1. As it stands, posts are very easily differentiable from each other because of the red bar above each post. On the new theme, there is only a thin black line which makes it difficult to separate posts during a quick glance.

2. Font in current site is easier to read than font on new site

3. A light gray background on posts/topics is actually easier on the eyes than white

4. For some reason, the list of topics seems very cluttered and difficult to read

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
My thoughts exactly.

A tiny avatar doesn't take away from the sites aesthetics but makes people easily remembered. It gives people a face of sorts and its easier to remember someone by a picture than a name.

I still only really "know" the personality of about 10 or so names on here. While have a good idea of the personality of all the avatar bearers. The same for when everyone got an avatar for Smashed. feck knows who they are now.

Another forum I have been on for around 18 months has Avatars that can only be changed 2 times in a year and I "know" the personalities of a good 100 or so on there.
Agreed. Or should I say, "Like" :)

twitter thread suggester
I like XenForo but I think the new theme would be a step down in terms of usability and design.

1. As it stands, posts are very easily differentiable from each other because of the red bar above each post. On the new theme, there is only a thin black line which makes it difficult to separate posts during a quick glance.

2. Font in current site is easier to read than font on new site

3. A light gray background on posts/topics is actually easier on the eyes than white

4. For some reason, the list of topics seems very cluttered and difficult to read

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Agreed.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
My thoughts exactly.

It's a fair point Pex. Avatars are harmless if the size is limited. I think it's nice to be able to have an image represent a poster and is indeed easily remembered.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some good points in this thread. I like the idea of somehow showing what team someone supports, even if it's just in text.
Agree with the current avatar/sig policy too.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Another no to avatars, the minimal and clean style of the Caf has always been its best feature, not sure on the orange header but other than that it's looking good.
I'm with this. Hate avatars, big or small, they're aesthetically ruining and I can't appreciate forums that have them. That and signatures...

Have no problem with a few posters having them, it gives some charm to the place (animated gif's aside, sorry TheDon, you look cooler now). But generalize them will ruin part of the cafe experience and what sets it aside from many forums.