Smalling Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He was awesome today...reads the game so well too.
If he stays fit then it could make a massive difference to the teams trophy prospects. Would never have lost those 2 league games if he was available.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You see, I'm a bit flustered. I thought Evans had a decent game bar the penalty shenanigans and Smalling, one great header aside, looked really shaky throughout. His distribution was shite.

Then I read in the Evans thread that he was awful and then I come in here and people say Smalling had some sort of mythical beast-mode going on throughout.

Opinions, eh.

To me he looked like a player who's been, eh, injured for about 10 weeks.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Looked like he'd never been out! There was one moment whereby I thought he could've closed down the attacker a bit quicker before he shot, but good apart from that.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
You see, I'm a bit flustered. I thought Evans had a decent game bar the penalty shenanigans and Smalling, one great header aside, looked really shaky throughout. His distribution was shite.
He had a 98% pass completion rate from 59 passes, he attempted 5 long balls and 4 reached their target.

marjen

He had a 98% pass completion rate from 59 passes, he attempted 5 long balls and 4 reached their target.
Fair enough, that's a lot higher than I would have guessed. I guess the couple of opportunities he had to simply play the ball into Anderson in space so we were off on the counter, but instead a) cleared it for a throw in and b) spanked it up the pitch must have made me think so.

It's really annoying that he insists on playing a slow ball slightly behind other players though, as if to "safe" the pass. It's not as noticeable when he's not rusty.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Definitely looked a bit rusty. Reacted slowly to a couple of situations and played others into trouble more than once. Great to have him back though.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Fair enough, that's a lot higher than I would have guessed. I guess the couple of opportunities he had to simply play the ball into Anderson in space so we were off on the counter, but instead a) cleared it for a throw in and b) spanked it up the pitch must have made me think so.

It's really annoying that he insists on playing a slow ball slightly behind other players though, as if to "safe" the pass. It's not as noticeable when he's not rusty.
How many defenders pick out great passes with their clearances?

All our players had trouble finding space and making passes before RVP came on. We had too many players being really profligate with possession tonight: Anderson and Nani were especially bad. Braga were well set for long periods and it made for a disjointed performance.

marjen

How many defenders pick out great passes with their clearances?

All our players had trouble finding space and making passes before RVP came on. We had too many players being really profligate with possession tonight: Anderson and Nani were especially bad. Braga were well set for long periods and it made for a disjointed performance.
My point was he shouldn't clear the ball while he's got acres of space and time to do something different. A couple of those was like watching womens football where the CB's do it all the time.

Baxter

Did very well, especially with as winger as a full-back on his side for most of the game. Still looks very quick and composed. Hopefully he'll stay fit and mature into the top class centre back we know he can become.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Props to him, a bit shaky on some occasions but generaly had a good/great game (somewhere in between :lol: ).
Nice to know he's here for years to come :)

Longlivekeano

I'd stick my neck out and say this now. Smalling & J. Evans is gona be our new centreback paring for next 10 years. Smalling as Rio replacement for reading of game and Evans as the Vidic nutcase with a Beckenbauer moments of brilliance bringing ball out. P. Jones I think will be a beefier version of Philly Neville and shunted all over the defence and midfield without having a fixed position. Michael Keane will challenge as a backup.

I definitely saw some signs of rustiness in that first half. He wanted to be involved in everything and that's where he got a bit sloppy. But credit to him. He never hid and towards the end he was looking a lot more like his old self. Aerially he has dominant and he was anticipating danger very well.

It's great to have him back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Could be very important him playing instead of Evans tomorrow, his ability in the air could be very important against Benteke.

Dont ever feel that Ferdinand or Evans are very aerially dominant, so hopefully we can keep a high line tomorrow and stop the crosses coming in early.

Baxter

Was a foul for me. Rio did the same against Benteke and got called up for it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not a foul, Smalling got caught out there and Benteke was positioned himself well enough to take advantage of Chris' over-eagerness.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Outmuscled for their first but other than that I thought he had a good game considering it's only his second game back. Made some important interceptions and generally did very well in the air.

Great to have him back.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Outmuscled for their first but other than that I thought he had a good game considering it's only his second game back. Made some important interceptions and generally did very well in the air.

Great to have him back.
Agreed. We won't see him get out-muscled like that too often again either.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Second start in six months. Was a little out of pace. But came back well and gave a good performance in second half.

Leg-End

I thought he was fantastic second half, especially when you consider his match fitness is nowhere near full.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Apart from the first goal where Benteke kinda destroyed him, he was fine.A very good performance for a guy who was out for a long time.Not easy to come back in two difficult away games.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought he was at fault for both goals but he's going to special a beast in the air.

Godfather

The second half was amazing. Made more than up for his feck up for their goal.
He must have won every header in the second half.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It was never a foul, he bounced off Benteke. But he has been injured for a long period so you can cut him a bit of slack for some rustiness.

KingEric7

His aerial ability is immense. We need to start bringing him into the first XI just because of that if we don't have Vidic.

Don't know if he was at fault for the second, think Rio was left ball watching there.

KingEric7

Not a foul, Smalling got caught out there and Benteke was positioned himself well enough to take advantage of Chris' over-eagerness.
Agreed. Ferdinand led with his arm, Smalling just got out-muscled. Was a seriously impressive display of strength and balance from Benteke.

thepolice123

He was arguably at fault for both goals. Got torn a new one by Benteke for the first goal and fecked up the offside line for the second.

He will come good eventually though.

Status
Not open for further replies.