Smashley Young

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've never truly been convinced by him, it'll be interesting to see him play.Hopefully I'll be really wrong but I've only seen him as an overrated player

Chris H

Video Posting God
Is he any good defensively? I'm wondering how much trachking bachk he will do.

johnmufc

He will become a good member of the squad, but it is a slightly underwhelming signing. He will not improve our First XI, and he will soon be 26, so he is not a young player who can improve so much.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I think his wages will be about 80-90k a week..
12M upfront fee leading upto 15M with add-ons..

I am sure that there is a reason these 3 figures keep popping up (12M, 17M & 20M)

The 12 Million figure is is the fee up front.

The 20 Million figure is probably the entire package 15 in fees (12 upfront 3 mill in add-ons) as well as 5 mill as the salary..

Those claiming 17 are with upfront 12 million fee and 5M as the salary..

Ekeke

As I said, he can also play central attacking, which he will do to some extent. Also, Nani and Valencia won't play every game, which is something you would know if you followed United this season. And when it comes to who is better of those three, I rate Nani the highest, and Young just above Valencia, based on the last two seasons. He will replace no one, just give us more options and attacking quality.
He can play behind a striker yes, but who is being left out then?

Rooney? Since thats his current position

Hernandez? So that Rooney can lead the line

That would be on top of Berbatov, Owen, Welbeck....

He can certainly play there as he did this season. But we dont have a space there do we?

johnmufc

I pray that this signing does not restrict Welbeck's chances. We cannot allow another Rossi situation to happen. Welbeck is a superb talent and we must give him a fair chance to succeed.

Cleverley is another player whose chances are likely to be limited now because of this signing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As I said, he can also play central attacking, which he will do to some extent. Also, Nani and Valencia won't play every game, which is something you would know if you followed United this season. And when it comes to who is better of those three, I rate Nani the highest, and Young just above Valencia, based on the last two seasons. He will replace no one, just give us more options and attacking quality.
I really don't get this.

VivaRonaldo7

Viva Ash Young, Viva, Ash Young, Running down the wing, Hear United sing, Viva Ash Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALTOGETHER NOW VIVA ASH YOUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Viva Ash Young, Viva, Ash Young, Running down the wing, Hear United sing, Viva Ash Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALTOGETHER NOW VIVA ASH YOUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
His full name - Ashley - would scan better.

'Via Ash Youuu-uuuung...', doesn't have enough syllables.

Not that it'll ever catch on.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Excellent.... welcome to the next stage of your career...

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Incidentally does anyone think that Ashley Young can step it up and lift his game a bit or has he pretty much reached his level at Villa?

What I mean is that do we just expect him to fill a dependable, reliable (squad) role or does anyone think he has the potential to step it up another level and really become a key performer for us?

Sir A1ex

I don't know if it's just getting used to the idea and looking ont he bright side, but I've gradually more adn more optimistic about Young.

If Fergie thinks he's the man for us, then it's good enough for me!

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Looks smart as feck, is there anything cooler than a suit jacket?

Anyway, he mentioned the 20th title - go and take it Ashley - be champion.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Incidentally does anyone think that Ashley Young can step it up and lift his game a bit or has he pretty much reached his level at Villa?

What I mean is that do we just expect him to fill a dependable, reliable (squad) role or does anyone think he has the potential to step it up another level and really become a key performer for us?
I can see him enjoying similar success to Valencia. An excellent PL player joins and improves his game when surrounded by better quality.

I am very pleased with this signing, he's an exciting player who can play right, left or centrally.

Sir A1ex

Yes, I totally do. He'll be playing with much better players, in a more winning environment, with better coaching.

Plenty of players have worked their way up via a couple of other clubs, improving all the time, before playing their best football at United. No reason Young should be any different.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
Looks smart as feck, is there anything cooler than a suit jacket?

Anyway, he mentioned the 20th title - go and take it Ashley - be champion.
His agent is black. So much for the claim that some posters on the Caf are racist. Turns out it was just an educated guess. :lol:

Aporkalypse

Fergie said 3 signings before we definitely lost Hargo, Gibson and Scholes. We'll be seeing at least one central midfield signing, and probably a promotion from the reserves/youth.

I can see him enjoying similar success to Valencia. An excellent PL player joins and improves his game when surrounded by better quality.

I am very pleased with this signing, he's an exciting player who can play right, left or centrally.
Spot on.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Yes, I totally do. He'll be playing with much better players, in a more winning environment, with better coaching.

Plenty of players have worked their way up via a couple of other clubs, improving all the time, before playing their best football at United. No reason Young should be any different.
That's what I was thinking aswell, though I must admit, I am a little confused as to who will play when all 4 our wingers are fit and in form. I know alot will be dependent on our opposition and formation, but I would have loved for a signing which would have improved our first XI, and not just our squad - which is exactly what signing Young feels like. (though we might still be signing another player or 2 so who knows).

Still a great player though and happy to have him on board.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It would help if you would start reading the posts. As for CM, I would prefer a proper midfielder

Jonno

I can't wait to see him play for United. He really is a big game player who adds a lot of pace and creativity to the team. Similar sort of signing as Valencia but I think this guy will produce more end product stuff than Valencia.

I think he will blossom into a real quality player at United

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I can only assume those that think this guy is average or not good enough, haven't seen much of him.

A great player and like I said in the transfer forum, his contribution this coming season will be bigger than that of Ryan the Rascal!

SAF, give us a Keano :keano: or Scholes type player and let's get the season started..... with De Gea obviously. :devil:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Welcome to the club Ashley. Good luck.

DocRockter

Young is a very good add.. But our attack is getting even smaller after that(not that I wanna Crouch to come and even it out) but could be a problem if Berba is not in the first XI..

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I would think he would get better. It depends. Some shrink :p but yorke for example rose to the occasion and became a far better player at United then he had been for Villa.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm very happy with the age of the squad now and the English core it's growing. Very much set now for the future of UEFA regulations and have bought all the good players that fill that place. Don't think there's one English lad who can improve our team that's out there.