So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

TsuWave

Wouldn’t swap either
They're so good. I really hope to see them lifting a major trophy for us soon. I cherish them so much :lol: and would hate if they didn't have a couple of medals together by the end of it all

el3mel

Top class pair. Our first actually reliable defensive pairing since Rio-Vidic.

Both aren't just world class, but they also complement each other pretty well.

Sylar

Immense and I love how they celebrate together. We seriously hardly ever look like conceding chances never mind goals with these two

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Dealt with one of the best strikers in the world, immense performances over the last two legs.

Best CB partnership in the world right now, no doubt. Really is reminding of Ferdinand-Vidic.

Hope they continue this over a few years.

90 + 5min

Best since Ferdinand and Vidic. What a warrior that little argentinian is. Two brilliant defenders.

tomaldinho1

Love how much they all care, even bringing out the aggression in Shaw who seemed to not care in recent seasons.

Chip

Although they'll likely never match Vidic and Rio in terms of longevity and trophies, but purely based in their best performances so far, I don't think it's crazy to mention them in the same breath.

I hope they get to win a few trophies together starting on Sunday, and hopefully with a few league titles and a CL title in the coming years.

davidmichael

I’ll tell you what I think we genuinely have THE BEST pairing in football right now bar none and they compliment each other perfectly, with Shaw playing well as well we’re probably a right back away from a formidable defence.

el3mel

Nothing to say
Love it. They both bring the best of each other.

When was the last time we had such passion in the team ? This spirit, this fire. The team last season was so dead. If this game was played last year, we would have lost by the first half goal.

We're completely changed. The flame of passion in the team is burning. This is a team who wants to win, and believe they can win.

We have completely changed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Won't swap any CBs in the world for these two. They're absolutely best of the best.

Sgreddevil

Lewandoski was completely nullified except for the last chance. Martinez marking him closely without giving him the chance to turn. Varane is such a cool player. I'm sure he has anticipated Lewandoski to put the ball through De Gea and he was already moving towards the goal line. Massively impressed

Chip

Varane = Rio
Martinez = Vidic

Perfect partnership.
I agree that's the initial thought, but Martinez is much more like Rio on the ball, just better. His distribution - especially on longer passes - is special for a CB.

Long way to go to really compare them, mind.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Best pair since Vidic/ Ferdinand. Martinez is already well on the way to being a United legend.
Shame we didn’t get Varane years ago.

BEST No7

I agree that's the initial thought, but Martinez is much more like Rio on the ball, just better. His distribution - especially on longer passes - is special for a CB.

Long way to go to really compare them, mind.
Absolutely. That Licha pass in 90 mins to Anthony was unreal straight to his foot, it was Scholes like. He's an absolute monster and future captain

Ibi Dreams

Incredible defenders, both of them. Barca had about two chances the entire game, and no really good ones. Amazing how fast we've gone from having a laughable leaky pairing to possibly the best in the world.

InfiniteBoredom

Issue is Varane will need replacing in a couple of years.
He’s 29, not 39.

As long as he’s managed right, there’s no reason we can’t get 4-5 more years of solid performance out of him. Thiago Silva was thought fit for the glue factory when he left PSG and is still going strong.

galwayfa

Liverpool fans over hype Van Dyke, id say these 2 are best in world game right now but im not
He’s 29, not 39.

As long as he’s managed right, there’s no reason we can’t get 4-5 more years of solid performance out of him. Thiago Silva was thought fit for the glue factory when he left PSG and is still going strong.
in saying that, theres not many that do, at this level, happy get 4 years out of him be delighted get more