So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

JoseKnowsBest

Eddie Howe? The amount of deluded, stupid idiots on here is unreal.

Jose is a top manager despite the results. Do you think real would want Howe?

It would be like putting a corner shop owner in charge of Tesco’s.

The fact is, most of our players are crap.

I’ve defended pogba more than most, but if he doesn’t care he should be sold in January.

lsd

The Oracle
Whilst Moyes was a rabbit in the headlights manager - he was a manager who came after SAF. A manager who came to manage a bunch of players that had won the league the year before. A manager who came to manage the biggest and most successful club in England that was retrospectively on its last stages of an era.

Howe can't do any worse than we are currently doing now under Jose. Only player that would contemplate moving is de Gea - a player who has a right to be frustrated with his career thus far. Other than that - I don't see how having another top 8 season is going to affect us all that badly. Alpt of the players we have are playing for a badge of honour & won't be wanted by other clubs until they themselves have a good season.

We got to take a risk on a manager like Howe because in my opinion the negative effects is low on what we already have but the positive aspects are high. A good team playing football the right way, a manager who himself can grow at United at a time it needs growing itself, a homegrown manager that if works can stay here until he retires.

It's the Same reasons I would not mind seeing butt or Carrick given the role.

We can get worse by 5% max - better by 50%.

Whilst we are down - let's get dirty :drool::drool:

We can get a lot worse believe me . We have seen the effects long term from making the wrong choice and God knows where we will end up if we get it wrong again .

Butt is a good shout for me doing well at the academy and knows the club inside out which is a big help .

Conte if only to really annoy Jose by sacking him for Conte is a decent shout too

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We can get a lot worse believe me . We have seen the effects long term from making the wrong choice and God knows where we will end up if we get it wrong again .

Butt is a good shout for me doing well at the academy and knows the club inside out which is a big help .

Conte if only to really annoy Jose by sacking him for Conte is a decent shout too
Why do people keep suggesting Butt? This is the best our academy has looked in ages, we took a long time to pick the right man to oversee its redevelopment, it makes no sense for us to move him. He manages a maximum of 11 games a season in the Youth League (last year he managed 8, I think) and that's if we make it to the final. He doesn't manage the league or other cup competitions, McKenna is more qualified if we were promoting internally.

Roboc7

I wouldn’t be against him or someone similar getting the job if some kind of structure is put in place and there is some kind of plan to build over a 2-3 year period.

Feel we have to recognise we aren’t very good, not even a top four team post SAF. A manager who can rebuild, coach players collectively and I visually and modernise the way we play is required now, not someone who is expected to win the league next season.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I’ve defended pogba more than most, but if he doesn’t care he should be sold in January.
Jose was a top manager for a certain period, no manager who literally can’t finish a third season at a club without losing the dressing room/getting sacked is a top manager in my book.
We’re not in 2010 anymore, it’s been almost a decade, his tactical ideas are dated and his man management is a joke.

So “Jose is a top manager despite the results”, what kind of logic is that? No top manager should ever leave his club in 16th or have a his team in midtable after spending 400m, it’s like saying a striker is a top striker despite not being able to score over 10 goals a season for 4 years running.

The only people who are against Howe are suffering from a post Moyes post traumatic disorder while completely
ignoring how shite we’ve been under the last 2 big name managers we’ve appointed.

We’ll play awesome football under Howe and we’ll see our brilliant crop of youngsters being integrated into the team the right way, maybe it’ll take a couple of years before we win a trophy but then so what? It’ll do us good in the long run.
Some people are utterly obsessed with winning cups as if you’re getting paid for it or something, there’s more to football than that.

We’re closer to Blockbuster than to Tesco’s at the moment (again, from a purely footballing perspective) the next manager is not going to be in charge of sponsor deals here you know?

Real took a gamble on a young manager and it worked, he did miles better than Mourinho in Real, the current Mourinho wouldn’t last 4 months in Madrid.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff

Good thing the forum has JoseKnowsBest to beat sense into us.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Stop living in the past. Is three years of dross football not enough for you to see that Jose is past it? No player can give a feck under such a negative and toxic manager. The club needs to breathe and can do with a modern progressive attacking manager.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think Howe is a good manager, plays good attacking football and has done wonders with the resources he has at Bournemouth. My concern with him is would he attract the sort of players we need to challenge at the top level again? Or is there a danger that we could be in a "Moyes situation" with regards to that? To be honest, I don't know how much players care who the manager is

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think Howe is a good manager, plays good attacking football and has done wonders with the resources he has at Bournemouth. My concern with him is would he attract the sort of players we need to challenge at the top level again? Or is there a danger that we could be in a "Moyes situation" with regards to that? To be honest, I don't know how much players care who the manager is
That's very much my concern. I think it'd take years to build a rep where top players would trust coming to United under him. That's ok if it goes perfectly and he gets what we have playing well in the meantime, but if it doesn't then we're still in the same boat or much worse in 2+ seasons down the line, which is a depressing thought but could easily be reality.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's a tricky one, isn't it? I do understand the reservation. Thing is, Liverpool got to where they are by attracting players in the bracket where Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern etc weren't going to be looking at. They signed lots of young and hungry players on the brink of being very good (Coutinho, Salah, Suarez etc) and then helped develop them into the players they are today. I think we should try and emulate that model to an extent.

It's a big risk whatever way you look at it. I don't think we'd be able to sign the Mbappe's of the world for a few seasons but if given time and we built up a team, like Liverpool have, then we would probably be able to start attracting players like that. I think the most important step now is not necessarily signing big name players for the sake of it, rather signing good quality players to fit the team's needs and are actually better than what they're replacing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's a tricky one, isn't it? I do understand the reservation. Thing is, Liverpool got to where they are by attracting players in the bracket where Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern etc weren't going to be looking at. They signed lots of young and hungry players on the brink of being very good (Coutinho, Salah, Suarez etc) and then helped develop them into the players they are today. I think we should try and emulate that model to an extent.

It's a big risk whatever way you look at it. I don't think we'd be able to sign the Mbappe's of the world for a few seasons but if given time and we built up a team, like Liverpool have, then we would probably be able to start attracting players like that. I think the most important step now is not necessarily signing big name players for the sake of it, rather signing good quality players to fit the team's needs and are actually better than what they're replacing.
That's a good point and, to be honest, with the Glazers in charge, I'm not sure we'd have the finance to sign an Mbappe level player anyway, so the type of model you describe is probably our best bet.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What was Solari's CV like before he got appointed at Real? I find it interesting that Real/Barca were willing to give no-names like Tata Martino and Solari a chance.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Successful winning Europa league and Ligue 1??

Jose Mourinho is more proven than Emery and most of their players are exactly the same as their players last season. If you ask everyone before the start of season, everyone will say Arsenal had less chance to finish above United. So am I missing something here?
I'm a Jose fan so that's not what I was saying. By the way, Emery bought one or two very influential players, in particular Torreira and Sokratis

baskinginthesun

I'd rather get Marco Silva - I just don't think Howe has the personality for a huge club, I really don't.

Silva has that bigger, more elite air to him.

I can imagine Silva competing for big trophies, but I can imagine Howe struggling with elite demands.
Silva got Hull relegated and had a shocking points haul at Watford once he had an ounce of pressure put on him because Everton were "calling."

Silva got Hull relegated and had a shocking points haul at Watford once he had an ounce of pressure put on him because Everton were "calling."
Yeah Im not keen on Silva either especially after what happened at Watford. A lot of their fans were saying that he downed tools after the club rejected his move to Everton.

I don't want a manager like that here, too reminiscent of Jose.

LoCalXT

For once lets appoint a hard working blue collar coach who is hungry to prove himself. Plus Bournemouth has been playing good football and would fit the penny pincher Ed.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Is there a point replying to these posts? Probably not.

Wayne's World

I made this thread in the hope that people would agree with me on appointing Eddie Howe and I still stick to what I say. His football style he's brought to Bournemouth is really impressive. He's one of those managers that If he was German or Spanish we would be raving about him.

I'd love for us to give him a shout. We have nothing to lose right now and I don't see him being Moyes. He's a modern day manager with a style of football that would get the best out of better players too

Infestissumam

he has a team like Bournemouth play positive and modern football and get results (6th currently).

if he weren't British but a flashy guy from Spain/Argentina/etc, people would be gushing over him.

marktan

He's a good manager but there's a huge risk with him because he's completely unproven in charge of a big club. It's not dissimilar to Moyes with Everton - they overachieved at their level - but coming to a big club is more than just playing good football - you need to be able to identify the right top transfers to mould the squad and I'm not sure Howe's really shown he's good with making signings so far. It's a similar risk with Zidane - good manager but he didn't really sign anyone new for Real - in fact under their tenure they sold players like Rodriguez and Morata rather than make those kind of signings.

It was something I was excited about by Jose, his transfers in pretty much all of his previous roles were very good, but unfortunately for us we seem to be the exception in that regard.

Walters_19_MuFc

Would love him at United, but having hired Moyes - an unproven manager at the top level with potential, I dont think the club will hire another one.

That said, we've seen with Van Gaal and now Mourinho, that track record means nothing.

Eddie Howe is a proper modern day manager in the way he sets up his team. High energy, attacking football and the best thing is that he plays a 442 with wingers. Proper United way.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Appointing Eddie Howe is a Glazer's dream - the mantra of 'give him time' will ring loud and true through the streets of Manchester as we lower our expectations to be grateful for a top 4 finish and a bit of good footy here and there.

He won't rock the boat, he won't be looking elsewhere, he'll be grateful to be in the job.

It'd be their dream appointment.

UncleBob

He's a good manager but there's a huge risk with him because he's completely unproven in charge of a big club. It's not dissimilar to Moyes with Everton - they overachieved at their level - but coming to a big club is more than just playing good football - you need to be able to identify the right top transfers to mould the squad and I'm not sure Howe's really shown he's good with making signings so far. It's a similar risk with Zidane - good manager but he didn't really sign anyone new for Real - in fact under their tenure they sold players like Rodriguez and Morata rather than make those kind of signings.

It was something I was excited about by Jose, his transfers in pretty much all of his previous roles were very good, but unfortunately for us we seem to be the exception in that regard.
I don't agree. For me, Moyes showed a lack of ambition by staying so long at Everton, it was his level and he was comfortable there. Look at Poch, did well at Southampton and jumped at the chance to progress at a bigger club. I don't really understand how some can compare that to what Howe has so far done with Bournemouth, it genuinely surprises me that people aren't far more impressed at the way Bournemouth has managed to reach the Premier League and continue to grow. Most clubs would go straight back down again, and they've made plenty of clever signings.

The manager at Real Madrid isn't responsible for selling or signing players.

UncleBob

Appointing Eddie Howe is a Glazer's dream - the mantra of 'give him time' will ring loud and true through the streets of Manchester as we lower our expectations to be grateful for a top 4 finish and a bit of good footy here and there.

He won't rock the boat, he won't be looking elsewhere, he'll be grateful to be in the job.

It'd be their dream appointment.
None of this makes any sense.

Pav1878

I made this thread in the hope that people would agree with me on appointing Eddie Howe and I still stick to what I say. His football style he's brought to Bournemouth is really impressive. He's one of those managers that If he was German or Spanish we would be raving about him.

I'd love for us to give him a shout. We have nothing to lose right now and I don't see him being Moyes. He's a modern day manager with a style of football that would get the best out of better players too
I like Eddie Howe just as much as the next guy. But the next appointment we make is very very important. If we fall further behind city and Liverpool and spend another 2-3 seasons outside of top 4, we are finished as a competitive force for a generation in my opinion.

It's not a question of a winner Vs good/modern football Vs experience. We need someone with all those things.

Eddie howe has one of those three things. Therefore he is a huge risk.

Pennywise

he has a team like Bournemouth play positive and modern football and get results (6th currently).

if he weren't British but a flashy guy from Spain/Argentina/etc, people would be gushing over him.
Would tend to agree with this. Look at the improvement in Ryan Fraser for example. It's incredible. They play great stuff.

There is risk with any appointment but given the absolute garbage we're subjected to week in week out it's at the stage now I'd be tempted to give him a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

marktan

I don't agree. For me, Moyes showed a lack of ambition by staying so long at Everton, it was his level and he was comfortable there. Look at Poch, did well at Southampton and jumped at the chance to progress at a bigger club. I don't really understand how some can compare that to what Howe has so far done with Bournemouth, it genuinely surprises me that people aren't far more impressed at the way Bournemouth has managed to reach the Premier League and continue to grow. Most clubs would go straight back down again, and they've made plenty of clever signings.

The manager at Real Madrid isn't responsible for selling or signing players.
It's admirable yes, I never said it wasn't. My point was about transfers at a club like Everton or Bournemouth vs one challenging for the title.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
None of this makes any sense.
You think people would be expecting trophies from Eddie Howe...?

You don't think 'give him time' would very likely become the mantra again - as with Moyes...?

You don't think expectations would lower...?

You don't think we'd essentially have a culture again of a manager 'learning how to run a huge club'...?

The answer to all of these is yes.

Appointing Eddie Howe to manage a Manchester United in crisis, under The Glazers would be a very, very dangerous move - not for them, for us.

UncleBob

I like Eddie Howe just as much as the next guy. But the next appointment we make is very very important. If we fall further behind city and Liverpool and spend another 2-3 seasons outside of top 4, we are finished as a competitive force for a generation in my opinion.

It's not a question of a winner Vs good/modern football Vs experience. We need someone with all those things.

Eddie howe has one of those three things. Therefore he is a huge risk.
There are no guarantees in football. With Mourinho we went with Winner and Experience, with good/modern football out the window, and 2,5 years later and we're supposedly lucky if we finish 4th.

It's reached the point where I watch United because I support and love the club, but find very little joy in watching the matches.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

You don't think 'give him time' would very likely become the mantra again - as with Moyes...?

You don't think we'd essentially have a culture again of a manager 'learning how to run a huge club'...?

Appointing Eddie Howe to manage a Manchester United in crisis, under The Glazers would be a very, very dangerous move - not for them, for us.
Yes.

No.

No.

No

We're not marrying the guy. Give him a chance, and let him go if he doesn't live up to expectations. It would be almost impossible for him to do any worse than Mourinho is already doing. And if he does, we sack him. No big deal.

UncleBob

Why would it not be a dangerous move for the Glazers ? If the club is in crisis, as you claim, it can have substantial negative effect on our ability to maintain and increase our revenue. Half the claims are that they are only worried if we don't finish in the top 4.....

Expectations would be that Howe would largely improve the way we are playing, making us an overall better team, which would then transpire into aspirations of winning trophies.

Vadim

He can’t set up a defence. His Bournemouth side play some nice stuff at times but people overrate them.

Not a chance Ed gets him in anyway.

UncleBob

It's admirable yes, I never said it wasn't. My point was about transfers at a club like Everton or Bournemouth vs one challenging for the title.
Not all that bothered. We signed Depay while Liverpool signed Firminio, Di Maria when Liverpool signed Mane. Very few of us thought it was Liverpool who made the better deals at the time. Maybe we should have faith that someone who in the space of 3 years took Bournemouth to the championship and then on to the premier league where he established the club instead of getting it relegated, knows what he's doing in terms of signing the right players as well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bournemouth above Man United if they hold onto the win.

GD also in positive balance....