So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Ashley R1+O

One important addendum to the 2009/10season: This is something we didn't know at the time but came out later. Howe and Tindally dipped into their own personal savings to hire a conditioning coach for our preseason that year. These weren't millionaire ex-footballers that had made a lot of money from the game. One was a promising youngster with a career ruined by injury and the other a lower league footballer all the way. Both with young families to support and with little in the way of job security given the nature of football and the perilous state of our club. I'm not sure I can find the right word to describe how I view that. I think the closest I can come is 'integrity'. They decided if they were going to do the job they were going to do it to the best of their ability and that meant they had to fork out some of their own cash to deliver on that. Very special.
There shouldn't be any wonder in the comparison of why these 'smaller' lets call them teams in the PL run their balls off regardless of their stature in the game and United's team who seem to be at the depth of most of the work rate charts.

This is a genuinely awesome thing to hear about. Integrity is an excellent trait for a football manager.

tieunhilang

Since you're on this subject I thought it might be of interest to some to have a fans-eye view of the Eddie Howe years at AFCB pre-Premier League since that will be a mostly closed book to most of you. I'll run through them one-by-one as I get time and it may give you a little more insight into some of the challenges he's faced down the years.

For my first post I'll need to start with a potted history of the club since around the start of the 90s so you can get an idea of who we are. Not the media story, the real us. Don't worry, I'm not offended that you don't know. Why should you? We're so League One it's ridiculous. We've spent most of our history in the third tier, quite possibly more than anyone else, with a few periods in the fourth tier and (pre-Howe) a very brief stint in the second tier when Harry Redknapp was getting the hang of the management business with us. After Harry, and for this I offer my sincere apologies, we gave a managerial chance to one of our midfield hard-man getting him on the way in that career. Yes, we are responsible for Tony Pulis. Sorry, again.

As an aside, Pulis actually did very well considering the players that were sold from under him but fan discontent at his style of football meant he was given the heave-ho. Ever since I've followed the club in the mid-80s we've always tried to pass the ball. Sure, at a League One standard but the intent was there and nobody was happy with the switch to Pulis-ball.

Anyway, post-Redknapp there were huge financial issues (I'm not saying the warning signs were there for others but... well they were) which ultimately left the club on the verge of going out of business come the late 90s. There was no 'white knight' and ultimately the club were only saved by fans chucking in as much money as they could and an administration. Not funded by some consortium of well off local business men. Literally the people on the terraces digging deep into their personal household finances. We ended up labelled at the time as the first community run/owned club in Europe, something which has been copied (in a much better way... lots of mistakes were made) many times since.

Out of immediate financial danger and with a newly strenghened bond with fans the big problem was the stadium was on the verge of being condemned and had to be rebuilt. There was no delaying it, no option it just had to be done. This created a new debt which crippled the club and (skipping over the details) would end up with the fans having to give up their golden share, the stadium being sold on a sale-and-leaseback deal (one reason why it hasn't been expanded since we came up) and a whole cast of characters straight from the lower league football cliche play-book being involved in the club. Unfortunately, one of these forgot to check the VAT situation on the sale and leaseback and suddenly the club were landed with a big unexpected VAT bill and back in a mess financially again. Ultimately and unfortunately administration was the only option.

It's one of those strange things were the administration wasn't brought about by profligate spending on players but just circumstances. A forced stadium rebuild and the debt it created just meant it was a very long domino effect.

At the time we were in League One and managed by Harry's oft-right hand man Kevin Bond. The 10 point penalty that season for going into administration put us right in the relegation mire. I recall the long (from Bournemouth it is very long) train journey away to Carlisle on the last day of the season where, after a remarkable run of form, a win may have kept us up despite the point loss. We drew 0-0 and were relegated to League 2 by the thinnest of margins.

The Football League weren't finished with us. The next season in League 2 we would start on -17 points due to the way we exited administration. The same season Luton started on -30 points for similar reasons. The board decided Bond wasn't the man to turn that situation around and so he left and was replaced by one of our former strikers, Jimmy Quinn, a renowned long ball merchant. The football under his was utterly atrocious and the results weren't much better. Come Christmas we were still deep in trouble so at the turn of the year he was sacked.

With no money, the club offered the job to the cheap option. The only option they could afford, an ex-player that was doing some work with the youth players. I'll be honest, nobody was especially impressed at the time. Step forward Eddie Howe.

In one way it was very smart from the board. He'd been a classy youth team graduate in his playing days even playing for England U21s whilst with us. The only player I can remember doing that during our League One days. Not the biggest but great on the ball. He'd got a big move to Portsmouth but his knee shattered on his debut for them. A gruelling year later he made a comeback but his other knee collapsed on his first appearance back (one reason why I think he has a lot of time for players that suffer serious injuries... it's paid dividends with Callum Wilson). He struggled back again but the injuries meant his dream of making his way up the league was gone, his body couldn't handle it. Portsmouth offered him back to us for about £15k but that kind of money was way beyond our budget. The fans got wind of it though and on a now defunct fans forum pitched in £20s and £50s until we had the money. He came back and was serviceable in League 1 but sadly was half the player he had been. He did a job for us for a while but ended up retiring as a player early at, I think, 30 but with so many fewer appearances than he should have made in his career.

I said above appointing him was a smart move from the board. That was why. He was held in great affection by many AFCB fans and many felt they had contributed to his return to the club. Well, actually, they had.

So that's where we are. A club that had lived through 20 years of being constantly on the edge of financial oblivion, a fan base that had been drawn so close to the club before watching it all fall apart again, sitting adrift at the bottom of League 2 with the people in charge of the league pretty hacked off with the club, a demoralised squad fed up with often not getting paid and a rookie 31 year old now in charge of the team.
I gotta say, these writings genuinely touch our souls and actually "sell" the manager to us much better than any trophy halls. Football is a matter of hearts and we need connection, soul, heart... So kudos for all these writings. Now I can look back at the cheering from Bournemouth's homegrown last week with a different eye. Such a moving story...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
One important addendum to the 2009/10season: This is something we didn't know at the time but came out later. Howe and Tindally dipped into their own personal savings to hire a conditioning coach for our preseason that year. These weren't millionaire ex-footballers that had made a lot of money from the game. One was a promising youngster with a career ruined by injury and the other a lower league footballer all the way. Both with young families to support and with little in the way of job security given the nature of football and the perilous state of our club. I'm not sure I can find the right word to describe how I view that. I think the closest I can come is 'integrity'. They decided if they were going to do the job they were going to do it to the best of their ability and that meant they had to fork out some of their own cash to deliver on that. Very special.
That’s class. A very Fergie type gesture.
Really nice interesting posts.

I think he’s a really interesting choice if we are looking for a manager but this job is obviously just really hard, even for managers who’ve won it all and worked with the biggest egos in the world... the personal touch and truly trusting youth again would be great though.

ash_86

I'm impressed. First time i'm watching Bournemouth this season and i'm blown away with their slick attacking.

tjb

I would take him, as well as a new structure if Jose is not the way we are going. He is young, would respect and honor the club, plays the type of football that we like, and implements similar club philosophies like youth implementation. With the right support, a technical director that knows how to recruit and sell and the backing of the board, he would do really well and would have the complete support of the fans. Would be a good long term option for the club if handled correctly.

neverdie

Future England manager if he can keep Bournemouth competitive as he has done over the past few years. Not sure if he's this generations Harry Redknapp (good but ultimately not good enough) or Glenn Hoddle.

I rate him similarly to Rodgers when he had Swansea. Needs to be tested at a higher position before we know much of anything though.

Murray3007

personally think he's done superb and think he will move on to bigger things, think there is a limit to Bournmouth without being disrespectful to them. think it was last season they went threw a sticky patch, but they came out of it, love how giving young talents a chance from lower divisions as well. Brooks looks a real player. Cook and Wilson as well are superb. next move will be vital, not sure how big a team will take a chance on him, might be Spurs if Poch ever goes to Madrid.

Matt007a

He's done great things at Bournemouth. He is definitely someone to consider going forward. I think I'd like to see him succeed elsewhere first if possible. Sometimes a manager and a club just click and everything comes together, but they can't replicate that success elsewhere. Having said that, someone has to take a gamble on him at some stage. Maybe it should be us?

I think we will have Poch above him on our shortlist, but he could well end up at Spurs if we do take him from them.

CA1

Done brilliant, they're a very dangerous side to play.

They were flagging big time second half though, they're not a great team without the ball in my opinion.

singhters

The pressure of the job and media pressure will be too much for eddie howe like it was for moyes.

We need an rvn

The pressure of the job and media pressure will be too much for eddie howe like it was for Moyes.
I agree.

As much as I like his style of football, how he comes across etc, before he joins an elite club he needs to test himself at somewhere like Everton or go abroad and do well there - do well in Europe, make his name a bit more and start to deal with the pressure of the media and fans more. Wouldn't mind one bit seeing him at United in the future though if he continues like he is now.

Nickelodeon

I believe that he's done an absolutely terrific job especially considering the resources that he has and particularly with the brand of football that Bournemouth have demonstrated throughout their stint in the PL. He has demonstrated versatility with formations as well.

Whether he remains a viable option for a big club such as ours is a bit of a Schrodinger's Cat situation. The Moyes debacle has certainly made us vary about any mid-table British guys.

To compare other top managers who have risen through relatively smaller clubs are managers such as Antonio Conte, Luis Enrique, Maurizio Sarri. Even Bayern have recently appointed Niko Kovac who had a total of 2 years managerial experience in club football that too with Eintracht Frankfurt. Considering Howe to be completely unsuitable for Manchester United just because he's the Bournemouth manager seems ignorant, lazy and arrogant.

What is undeniable is that Howe has managed to make his team more than a sum of its parts with players such as Simon Francis, Steve Cook, Charlie Daniels etc punching well above their weights, something which we are definitely struggling with. His recruitment has been similarly shrewd with purchases such as Lewis Cook, David Brooks and club record Nathan Ake.

I believe that for a big club he would need to be supported with a certain degree of recruitment responsibility from an experienced figure such as an influential director of football who can understand his style of football and would be able to match it with players who are both capable of fitting the profile of the style of play as well as the demands of playing for a big club.

Should (when?) Jose be let go, I would not be averse to him being given a shot purely from his coaching ability. However, it would be irresponsible for any club to give him autonomy over all football related matters.

All in all, he looks like an extremely talented young manager with a bright future. With whom is going to be the ultimate question.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The pressure of the job and media pressure will be too much for eddie howe like it was for Moyes.
This aspect of things is hugely exaggerated on here. If he improved the team, then performances would improve and so would results. Result: what pressure?

As for Moyes, he just wasn't that good a manager to start with.

Boycott

This aspect of things is hugely exaggerated on here. If he improved the team, then performances would improve and so would results. Result: what pressure?

As for Moyes, he just wasn't that good a manager to start with.
This.

It's just blokes kicking a ball around.

Media stuff is just meaningless noise.

Matt007a

The way he carries himself suggests to me he wouldn't worry too much about that. He's very measured in the way he talks to the media and never becomes flustered by questions from the press. He's generally very level headed and calm. I don't think he'd get buried by the pressure. If you're winning games the pressure is not an issue anyway. The reason LVG and Mourinho have been so heavily criticised and attacked by the media is because they did poor jobs and were easily wound up.

Crazy outbursts and rants are exactly what the press want. They know they won't get that from Howe.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Why would the pressure of the job be too much for him?
It's just some United fans who like to imagine that their club faces more pressure than any other. But unless they find themselves fighting against relegation they won't know the real meaning of pressure.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
It's just some United fans who like to imagine that their club faces more pressure than any other. But unless they find themselves fighting against relegation they won't know the real meaning of pressure.
To be fair, I think it is fair to assume there is a higher level of pressure at United than Bournemouth.

More people to please, higher expectations etc.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I was quite interested in this thread, and in talking about Eddie Howe, but then I noticed that the poster felt the need to start the thread with 'So,...' so instead of responding properly I am writing this short post and then burning my laptop in frustration.

Mcking

To be fair, I think it is fair to assume there is a higher level of pressure at United than Bournemouth.

With better players. You just have to keep winning games, satisfy the board and that's it.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
@Will Dance For Chocolate I have to say those were really delightfully written posts. Thank you for relating to us what were seriously crucial days for your club. In such an epic, heart-warming manner too! Looking forward to the next slice of this saga.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

To be balanced against an annual fight for Premier League survival at Bournemouth and hardly any money on which operate. Both these things also mean pressure. The fact that it's pressure of a different type doesn't makes it less pressure.

Hughie77

The guy is breath of fresh air, he gets the best out of his players, plays good football and deserves a bigger chance.? If he gets it ?

Frank Grimes

To be balanced against an annual fight for Premier League survival at Bournemouth and hardly any money on which operate. Both these things also mean pressure. The fact that it's pressure of a different type doesn't makes it less pressure.
It's away from the magnifying glass that is Manchester United. No comparison. Reckon he is cert for Spurs next summer when Poch goes to Real.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Interesting read(s), thanks.

Could be put forward for 'Bournemouth Poster of the Year'.

DBT85

As my 14 month old is want to say @Will Dance For Chocolate, "MORE!"

I'd love to have Howe as our next manager if I felt our club had the correct support around him to help him succeed. I don't think we do and he'd be back at Bournemouth in a year, through no fault of his own.

Nickthepip

As my 14 month old is want to say @Will Dance For Chocolate, "MORE!"

I'd love to have Howe as our next manager if I felt our club had the correct support around him to help him succeed. I don't think we do and he'd be back at Bournemouth in a year, through no fault of his own.
You don’t go from managing Bournemouth to managing Manchester United. I’m sorry but you just don’t.

I think he’s worked miracles and that they are a hugely enjoyable team to watch, massively overachieving given their budgets but he’s never won anything, he’s never had to manage world famous superstars or had to spend hundreds of millions of pounds. If he goes to a bigger club and makes it a success then maybe but it’s far to great a leap.

I know we’ve had managers from West Brom, Aberdeen, Everton and Leicester in days gone by but those days are gone, whether I agree with it or not.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It’s a partial season next through to Howe’s departure to Burnley.

Season 2010/11 (through to 14th January 2011)

Promotion was secured, the embargo was lifted and the FL failed to find a way to punish us for a fourth season (there’s a sting on that still to come) so Howe could enjoy a preseason where he could strengthen the side for the first time as well as getting the team properly prepared for the season ahead.

He certainly went for it to get the squad numbers back up and with a better balance but the budget with which he had to work was still non-existent. So the most important signings in that ’spree’ consisted of:

Harry Arter - £4k (from Woking)
Michael Symes – Free transfer (from Accrington Stanley)
Stephen Purches – Free transfer (from Leyton Orient)
Lyle Taylor – Free transfer (from Concord Rangers… I think they were playing in the 6th or 7th tier!)
Steve Lovell – Free transfer (Howe’s half-brother mentioned as part of the last season embargo post)
Marc Pugh – Out of contract at Hereford Utd. I’ll come to the fee on this one separately.
Rhoys Wiggins – Free transfer (from Norwich)

He also signed Adam Smith on loan from Spurs.

I go into this detail so you understand that he was picking up waifs and strays from all over the place and yet, I believe I’m right in saying, the club didn’t have a single full time scout at the time. I think it’s referenced in The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin at some point but I forget the details exactly (incidentally, excellent book on the life of a football scout. Have a read!). I have no idea how the non-league guys were earmarked amongst the hundreds of others out there.

Purches was a former player of ours that Leyton Orient had released. As for Arter, even though you don’t play there you must know that £4k for a non-league player is a derisory amount. The real star players down there go for a lot more. This was a squad assembled on a budget close to zero.

The Marc Pugh signing was to prove highly problematic. He had a slightly nomadic period as a young player and, after being released by Shrewsbury Town, signed for Hereford United on a one year contract. He had a brilliant season for them and they offered him a new two year contract but he rejected it to sign for us instead. Under the rules, as he was under 24 and had been offered a new contract, his previous side were due a development fee.

This is important: this fee isn’t in any way the market value of the player. It’s meant to reflect the development costs of the player by the club and the length of contract they had offered him. So a player that has been through the full youth system of the club and been offered a new five year contract would be worth a lot more than someone that had just joined and been offered a short contract. As I said Pugh had been there one year and been offered a two year contract. I mentioned at the start there was a punishment kicker from the powers that be to come and this was their chance. Somehow the tribunal decided we had to pay £100k. Now, we all know Pugh’s contribution is worth many magnitudes of this but the simple fact under the system as it was meant to be is this was utterly ridiculous and way beyond what we could afford.

The then current owner had a bit of a meltdown over this obviously never having expected anything even close to that and we all feared that he would look to cash in on a player to offset the loss. Feared? I should say knew.

Whilst this was happening the season was now underway and we’d started like a train with a 5-1 win including a Brett Pitman hat trick. BP was a striker but not really a poacher type as he scored from all over the pitch including some spectacular efforts. It had taken the former prolific youth player time to adjust to the first team. However, he’d scored 25+ in the promotion from League 2 so starting the League 1 campaign like that got the vultures circling. Blackpool, then in the PL, had a bid accepted but they couldn’t agree personal terms with Brett.

Two days after the Pugh tribunal decision and Pitman had been sold to Bristol City for a reported £800k-£1 million. Thanks tribunal team!

Howe wasn’t given any of the money to recruit a replacement so had to look at what he had within the squad. There were plenty of sceptics when his decision was to try and convert Josh McQuoid from winger to striker. Another youth team graduate he’d bumbled around on the fringes of the team for a couple of years without really making much of an impression despite all that had gone on. Howe knew his stuff though and McQuoid started scoring almost from the off. In November he scored back-to-back hat tricks and shortly thereafter Championship Millwall signed him (on loan until Jan with the transfer set to be completed then) for a reported £500-600k.

So the chairman had sold the star striker and then his free replacement from under Howe in the space of a few months and, again, there was no money made available for a replacement. I’m trying not to get too sidetracked with the AFCB stuff to keep it revolving around Howe but this all impacts what was to come in January.

Meanwhile on the pitch the season had started beyond our expectations. With major squad upheaval and a load of free signings brought in, the dream was mid-table safety with a battle against relegation the expectation. When McQuoid was sold on 23rd November we were in third place, the top scorers in the league with the second best GD. Oh, and we were still passing the ball around as best we cuold although we did employ a midfield destroyer in the formation by the name of Marvin Bartley. Great in League One to get a boot in but with the first touch of a bouncy castle.

The new signings allowed Howe to play a much more fluent formation even given the higher level. It was still only an evolution on what had gone before but Pugh in particular was having a massive impact and helping us look much more balanced. We were still leaking goals but it was fun to watch us go out and try to outscore the much more expensively assembled opposition and, more often than not, do it! We’re still firmly in 4-4-2 territory though, although having right-footed Pugh on the left wing was a telling move that would pay dividends much later.

With no money available to sign a replacement striker for McQuoid, Howe cast around the squad and the youth team to find his best option and decided set his stall by an 18 year old prospect. This player had been released by Southampton as a school boy before joining us on a two year apprentice contract. He suffered a bad injury that blighted the second year of that but still earned 12 more months to prove himself. At the start of the season he was sent out on loan Dorchester Town who were playing in the 6th tier. There he scored 4 in 9 games before being recalled the day after McQuoid was sold to take his place in the squad. 18 years old, 4 goals in 9 games in the Conference South and now he had to spearhead our unlikely promotion charge? Hardly an inspiring choice. That young players name was Danny Ings.

Howe spent some time preparing him and he didn’t actually get into the team until about a month later. You all know him now but then he was so raw it was painful to watch at times. He wasn’t anywhere near first team ready but credit must go to Howe that he saw the player to come in there and decided to bet that he could get the minutes he needed into his legs and end up better off than using someone else who was inferior to the player Ings would become but more experienced now. It was awful to see some of the misses from Ings during that period but history tells us it was a hell of a call.

I’m going to cover the then owner of AFC Bournemouth Eddie Mitchell as part of the next post but he was what some people refer to as a ’character’. Other people use another word beginning with c. I heard he was recently suffering ill health and so I wish him well in his recovery but when I go into detail on him next time you’ll understand the general antipathy.

Anyway, the word was that he and Howe didn’t exactly see eye-to-eye. Understandable given the players being sold without funds being released for a replacement but you might say in his attitude to Howe it was a case of knowing the cost of something but not the value.

At this point Eddie Howe was a lower league chairman’s unrealistic dream. In less than two season’s he’d taken a dispirited disorganised mess and saved them from relegation, signed no players that summer and with a small squad full of injuries got them promoted and now, having spent next to nothing, looked like he might get the team promoted again even whilst players were being sold from under him. All whilst playing attractive and attacking football that had the fans on their feet.

Peterborough had already tried to snaffle him the previous season but he’d rebuffed them and there were rumours that then League One Southampton had also tried to approach him. In January 2011 though there was a scrum for his services. Crystal Palace, Burnley and Charlton Athletic were all putting offers on the table and he felt he couldn’t turn them all down. Remember, he’s still a young man with a young family and no riches from football as yet. This would give some financial security to his family at least. He later said he decided to take the one he saw as the hardest move and biggest challenge – Burnley. They’d been relegated from the PL the previous season and wanted a quick return. I may touch on his time there a little in the next post but it would be from the point of view of a distant observer.

(Non-Howe related aside, skip if you like)
I will say that seeing him go to Burnley rankled a bit. We had a little history and it was all the fault of Djimi Traore. The incompetent buffoon. I mentioned before all the long running financial messes that we had been in the 90s and 00s. One thing that would have had a huge impact for us would be a big cup draw. We just never got them though. It was so frustrating! Until, that is, the FA Cup in 2004/05 when we drew Liverpool in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Oh salvation! You don’t know what that meant to us as a club. They just had to get past Burnley first and then we’d visit Anfield, get knocked out and pick up a big cheque that would give us help we so desperately needed.

Then Djimi Traore did this:

I’m sure that was of great amusement to you on here but it cost us a lot more than that much needed attendance money. We played away to Championship side Burnley in the 4th round and absolutely battered them. Totally played them off the park and lost 2-0.

”The better team lost today and we have to be humble enough to accept that,” admitted Steve Cotterill, the Burnley manager. (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/jan/30/match.Burnley)

Sadly, it doesn’t end there. You see, given our perilous financial state all we could offer many of our players then were one year contracts. Burnley, having watched us do a number on them, that summer decided to sign three of our four midfielders and it cost them a grand total of £20k since they didn’t have contracts.

Sure, football is a business but I always thought it was a pretty ****ish move to see a club struggling to survive and not just pick off one of their players but completely pillage them like that. One of the players they picked up for free was Wade Elliot who scored the goal in the play off final to get them up to the PL for the first time.

So, as I said, I wasn’t especially happy to see Howe there. I wished Eddie nothing but good things in his career but found it hard to hope they did well.
(End of non-Howe related aside)

It’s the 14th January 2011, we’re still third in the table but Howe has gone. His replacement, initially on a caretaker basis, was one of our players who then immediately retired from playing: Lee Bradbury. You may possible recall him earlier in his career as a striker at Man City. Howe had converted him into a very effective right back. Sometimes I wonder what he sees when he watches a football match that the rest of us don’t!

This entry was a lot longer than intended but I wanted to cover the transfer stuff in detail since this is the first time we really got to see Howe properly in action in the market, even if it was still with no real cash.

A brief summary of the careers of those players he picked up for free or close to that summer:

Harry Arter – Well you know. The heartbeat of our team as we moved up the divisions.
Michael Symes – Scored at about 1 in 3 for us before moving around League 1 and 2 for a few seasons.
Stephen Purches – Played a number of times before a leg break curtailed his career. Now on the coaching staff.
Lyle Taylor – A pretty astute spot. Definitely a League 1 striker in there. He’s currently at Charlton having scored 8 in 16 so far this season (according to Wikipedia)
Steve Lovell – Scored some important goals but never really recovered from his injury issues and ended up retiring early.
Marc Pugh – Fundamental to our rise. Despite the tribunal nonsense one of the best bits of business ever done by the club.
Rhoys Wiggins – Probably best summarised as a career Championship level left back. Another that suffered a horrible injury a season or two back and had to retire.

Also, the loan move for Adam Smith was a great shout as well!

For a first proper transfer window that is some seriously good business done. That also skips over Danny Ings who I covered earlier and you all know what happened to him.

Next post we will have the period without Howe before his return which I’ll need to cover so you can understand the mess to which he came back and how it happened. I promise you it’s true even though some of it sounds totally unbelievable. It’s one of those periods I look back on with total bemusement but at the time was beyond awful to experience. Unless something gets cancelled at the last minute tomorrow, it’ll have to come on Wednesday. Cheers!

Last edited:

meninred

Good comparison with rogers or perhaps martinez. he definitely should be given a chance with a midtable team like everton.