So this new kit deal then

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
75m is the minimum guarantee. I'm guessing it'll increase on the basis of our sucesss and a share of profits.

Also the dual branding thing pretty much confirms that we've split up this deal. All the non first team clothing stuff will be given to some other brand.
I imagine 75m is going to cover profits. I highly doubt we will get a cut of dual branded profits now. Under Nike that accounted for 15m and as I mentioned above the 75m massively eclipses the combined Nike income. I find it hard to imagine Adidas still giving is a cut because that would make this crazy deal even more crazy. However I could be wrong, it's all speculation after all.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Chelsea and Bayern have some pretty sharp Adidas Original merchandise. Looking forward to United having some of the same. I like the idea of the 3 stripes too. Quite reminiscent of when I first started watching United.

Glad it's not Warrior. I really don't like their shirts. They design football shirts like they've never seen another football shirt in their lives. So many squiggly lines and silly shapes. Any of Liverpools away kits could easily be a goalkeeper shirt from the 90s.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
One of the main reasons we parted with adidas originally was that they only had about 15 branded products available to buy. Umbro had over 100 products in just over a year after we signed with them.
This deal covers a great deal of merchandise beyond the regular branded adidas kit.
There'll be an extensive adidas originals line coming out including track tops.
Football Club will be on the badge of all the retro products but no word on Football Club making it back on the official kit but you'd think this would be the time to do it.
77, Do you work for adidas?

Steve the Red

Nothing to spend yet surely? The deal doesn't come in till next summer.
As far as increases in revenue goes, last season United made £90m for finishing 7th, up £30m. The Chevrolet deal starts this season, an extra £25m. They can always go to the bank and say, 'We have a contract guaranteeing an extra £37m a year from next season. Please lend us loads of money.'
That's £92m a year extra. They certainly could e spending it al now.
The current Sky deal is only for 3 years, and will be renegotiated over the next few months, so revenues may boom again.

Nanook

There is kit, domestic league and champions league deals coming out of everywhere at the minute, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a £1bn annual revenue in 20 years time.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The ring you're forgetting though is the sponsorship element. Adidas pay us a premium because they get their logo on our kit.

Additionally, don't the sportswear brands use special fabrics etc? I might be completely wrong but I imagine we couldn't just make shirts using cheap materials.
Yep - the research that companies such as Nike will do with regard to fabric innovations is ridiculous, and not something that could easily be replicated. In their R&D facility in the US they have a chamber that can recreate pretty much any climate on earth - so they can adjust the temperature and humidity etc, so they can test their performance apparel in different conditions. They will have an athlete on a treadmill inside this chamber, and then see how different apparel technologies perform - specifically with regard to breathability, wicking / moisture management, and how they affect elements such as the body's core temperature.

This is early stage testing - subsequent testing will involve wear testing, both with their elite athletes, but also vast numbers of lower-level athletes.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the reason for removing the embroidered badge was born out of two considerations. Firstly, it reduced overall weight of the kit, Second, wear testers had complained that in some conditions, the stitching could irritate the skin.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I am really excited by this new deal. Not so much by the merchandise but how much we are making from it and what it represents.

It is the same company that makes Real Madrids kit and they are paying us well over double what they are paying them for that right. It really does show that we are still the biggest team in world football.

It is going to be quite surreal seeing the 3 stripes on our kit next year. I have become so accustomed to the swoosh. But I am sure I will soon get used to it. I am also sure Adidas will make much nicer kits for us that Nike has done in recent year.

Trizy

In that article he said the fashion would be around £100 million a year, £25 million on top of the original £75 million Adidas money or £100 million on its own from who ever goes for it? Hypothetically if we were to sign a cloths line deal worth £100 million a year imagine our profit each season without debt? Would be close to £250 million a year, that's outrageous! If only we did what Bayern do and use all profits for the club.

HabeasC

I'm loving the bluemoon fallout over this.

Their reactions range from asking why they aren't getting a deal like this to saying that the Glazers will take most of it to equating this earned contract deal with their FFP breaches...

What a bunch of bitter and deluded people.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm loving the bluemoon fallout over this.

Their reactions range from asking why they aren't getting a deal like this to saying that the Glazers will take most of it to equating this earned contract deal with their FFP breaches...

What a bunch of bitter and deluded people.
Bluemoon do seem to be infested with some foul mouthed, and exceptionally bitter people, the worst you come across by far, strange really you would have thought their recent titles would have mellowed them a bit.

HabeasC

Bluemoon do seem to be infested with some foul mouthed, and exceptionally bitter people, the worst you come across by far, strange really you would have thought their recent titles would have mellowed them a bit.
There is still an underlying bitterness. I'd take someone from RAWK any day over them. At least the rawk thread isn't completely full of bitter comments and is mostly made of sensible comments.

C'est Moi Cantona

There is still an underlying bitterness. I'd take someone from RAWK any day over them. At least the rawk thread isn't completely full of bitter comments and is mostly made of sensible comments.
It's the venom in them that gets me, and the need to use degrading comments towards us, with a spattering of swear words everywhere to make them feel like big men, not all of them are like this, but plenty keep cropping up.

itso 7

In that article he said the fashion would be around £100 million a year, £25 million on top of the original £75 million Adidas money or £100 million on its own from who ever goes for it? Hypothetically if we were to sign a cloths line deal worth £100 million a year imagine our profit each season without debt? Would be close to £250 million a year, that's outrageous! If only we did what Bayern do and use all profits for the club.
Nevermind £100m if Woodward hassles something like thirty million or so from the fashion line then we might as well start worrying about holding on to him, it will be insane !

Thisistheone

The figures are truely astounding. Fergie really did build a monster of a club. Kept us winning during the boom years of PL football and the dodgey, initial years of Glazer takeover/ownership. Now we are almost guaranteed to stay at the top with money like this.

Sir Alex's final gift. Or am I being a bit dramatic? :wenger:

Becknaldolencia

I'm pretty sure we've promised adidas a star signing this summer. We wouldn't get such a massive deal otherwise after that season.

Dunk

Body language expert
Well it's £53m + £75m plus if we count the training kit we replaced the £10m a year deal for that for the £15m a year deal for that + Carrington naming rights so if we take that deal as still being £10m for the training gear it's £138m a year in kit deals.
Yep.

Shirt manufacturer: Adidas - 75 million GBP per annum
Shirt sponsor: Chevrolet - 53 million GBP per annum
Training ground and training kit: Aon - 15 million GBP per annum

Old Trafford naming rights next? I wouldn't mind! Let's hope we buy some great players next and blow away the competition :)

Trizy

Old Trafford naming rights next? I wouldn't mind! Let's hope we buy some great players next and blow away the competition :)
Love everything about United but if we got a shit load of money for a naming rights I'd be happy to take it.

Just out of interest sake how much do Arsenal and City get for theirs?

Dunk

Body language expert
Love everything about United but if we got a shit load of money for a naming rights I'd be happy to take it.

Just out of interest sake how much do Arsenal and City get for theirs?
I created a poll in the juniors about whether we should sell the Old Trafford naming rights and just under 90 percent voted 'NO'. It would not be a popular decision. Who would buy the naming rights anyway? It wouldn't be Adidas or Chevy, who would step up?

Trizy

I created a poll in the juniors about whether we should sell the Old Trafford naming rights and just under 90 percent voted 'NO'. It would not be a popular decision. Who would buy the naming rights anyway? It wouldn't be Adidas or Chevy, who would step up?
I can imagine it wouldn't be too popular but if every penny we earned went back into the club I'm sure people wouldn't mind an extra 50 million per season from a naming deal.

Dunk

Body language expert
I can imagine it wouldn't be too popular but if every penny we earned went back into the club I'm sure people wouldn't mind an extra 50 million per season from a naming deal.
After the Adidas announcement, I'm inclined to agree. A win-win-win situation.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Nah lads. Let's not sell our soul. Chevrolet have an awful logo but it's just a sponsor on the front of the shirt like every other team has. The adidas deal is a phenomenal piece of business but it's still only a kit deal like every other team has. No money would be worth renaming Old Trafford. We are financial behemoth as these recent deals have shown. We can compete with the sugar daddy clubs and if we ever get the debt cleared will be untouchable, considering Uefa seem to be taking FFP seriously.

We do not need the money that selling the naming rights would bring in. We're still a club with values. I feel we'd have sold all of our values if we sold the naming rights.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
It must really rile the bindippers. They have to sell a Luis Suarez every summer to get 75m and all we need to do is flog some shirts.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It is the same company that makes Real Madrids kit and they are paying us well over double what they are paying them for that right. It really does show that we are still the biggest team in world football.
Interesting that you consider a kit deal to be the key indicator as to who the biggest team in the world is.

Real Madrid and Barca are objectively "bigger" than United by every measure. They have more fans (see: Facebook), bigger revenues and will always get any player they want.

We're excellent at the business side of things though. Probably because we are a business and they are fan-owned community organisations.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
That Chevy logo is bloody awful though.

I'd like to know why in every shot of an african mob you see a bunch of them wearing footy kits. How do they afford them at the prices that kit makers charge?

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
If we fail to finish top4 next season, mark my words naming rights to Old Trafford will be sold.

KingMinger22

I find it really suprising that so many people think that once the debt is paid off we're gonna just keep ploughing money on players. The Glazer's made a business investment and will expect to take dividends on it in the future. I am sure we will invest when needed - including a bumper, one-off window this summer - but we're not gonna start spending like Real and Barca every year. No chance. We're completely different entities: one commercial, one charitable.

Brightonian

Interesting that you consider a kit deal to be the key indicator as to who the biggest team in the world is.

Real Madrid and Barca are objectively "bigger" than United by every measure. They have more fans (see: Facebook), bigger revenues and will always get any player they want.

We're excellent at the business side of things though. Probably because we are a business and they are fan-owned community organisations.
What exactly do you think revenues are?

By next season we will have record shirt manufacturer and shirt sponsor deals, more than twice the size of the second most valuable in each instance. We will have by far the highest revenues in world football.

Globally, we also have the most fans. That's a pretty widely accepted fact, and is the basis for the aforementioned massively superior sponsorship deals. Facebook likes are in no way a reliable measure.

KingMinger22

What exactly do you think revenues are?

By next season we will have record shirt manufacturer and shirt sponsor deals, more than twice the size of the second most valuable in each instance. We will have by far the highest revenues in world football.

Globally, we also have the most fans. That's a pretty widely accepted fact, and is the basis for the aforementioned massively superior sponsorship deals. Facebook likes are in no way a reliable measure.
I think you need to Google football revenues a bit. Real and Barca have a comfortable Le lead which will not be overtaken next year. No one is suggesting this despite the excellent deals we have just done.

How the feck is Facebook not the best measure of who has the biggest global reach? What on earth has anywhere near a sample size like Facebook?

The PL has reach like no other but from my travels around the world I would say Real and Barca have at least equal followings.

Brightonian

I think you need to Google football revenues a bit. Real and Barca have a comfortable Le lead which will not be overtaken next year. No one is suggesting this despite the excellent deals we have just done.
It would be helpful if you'd link to this information which you claim would put Real and Barca's revenue above ours despite the new PL TV deal, Chevy sponsorship and Adidas kit deal. I'm highly confident it uses the figures from before those deals. Looking specifically at the kit deals: Ours with Nike, worth £23.3m per year, dates back to 2002. Madrid's with Adidas, worth £31.3m per year, was only signed in 2012. So recent comparisons have effectively been between our old kit deal and their new one. Fast-forward to next season and factor in our new deal. It's worth almost two and a half times as much as theirs, despite only being signed a couple of years later. The £43.7m difference makes their previous £8m lead look minuscule.

The shirt sponsor situation is similar - now that we are on an up-to-date deal, our income blows theirs out of the water. And the massive PL TV deal means that even with their much bigger share of La Liga's revenue they are barely making more than us from the broadcasting rights.

There is absolutely no doubt that if you use all three of those new deals, our revenue is vastly superior to any other club in the world. Find me an up to date source that says otherwise and I'll explain to you how and why they're wrong.

How the feck is Facebook not the best measure of who has the biggest global reach? What on earth has anywhere near a sample size like Facebook?
I don't know, is liking a Facebook page the same thing as being a fan?

I'd say watching matches regularly and owning a team kit are much better indicators, and those are the numbers which dictate the TV, kit manufacturer and kit sponsor deals. Deals which will have been rigorously researched by experts in establishing things like the number of fans a team has. Deals for us which, as aforementioned, blow Madrid's and Barca's completely out of the water.

The PL has reach like no other but from my travels around the world I would say Real and Barca have at least equal followings.
Ah, insignificant anecdotal evidence! Screw the actual numbers, right?

Last edited:

LoiusVanGaal

at least means the club should have plenty of cash going forward, hopefully at least some of that £75m a year goes to signing players and stuff!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I was against naming rights but if it helps us compete --- and get a world class pool of players and buffer us from the changes in managers like a Madrid especially after the Moyes debacle, it might be an idea whose time has come.

If Arsenal gets 30 million quid per year from the Emirates, we should get 2 1/2 times ala the Adidas deal or like an additional 70million annually, a significant cash in hand to really go after world class players and not punt for the Bebes of the world.

Remix

LordoftheStreams
I was against naming rights but if it helps us compete --- and get a world class pool of players and buffer us from the changes in managers like a Madrid especially after the Moyes debacle, it might be an idea whose time has come.

If Arsenal gets 30 million quid per year from the Emirates, we should get 2 1/2 times ala the Adidas deal or like an additional 70million annually, a significant cash in hand to really go after world class players and not punt for the Bebes of the world.
We should never sell our soul for money.

FromTheBench

Arsenal doesn't get 30 million from Emirates stadium alone.

But shirt + Stadium rights both.

We won't get 70 million or anywhere close for Old trafford naming rights. 20/25 at best on the highest end as it will get called Old trafford anyway and we have number of sponsors. Probably not worth the hue and cry it will create.

We'd probably make more putting another sponsor on our shirt sleeves and one inside it ala Barca. Or selling that designer/leisure wear etc.. rights to Uniqlo if we have the option or even from other non tied up to adidas merchandising.

Last edited: