So what's next for Sir Gareth Southgate?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hopefully Potter or Howe become available soon, they're more forward-thinking but still bland enough to be appreciated by the FA.
Why would Howe amd Potter manage England at the peak of their careers?
There is a reason the top managers manage at club level.

Skills

Snitch
He’ll play a back four with Maguire and Shaw in it (both of whom will barely have played) and he’ll sit Rice and Phillips in the middle with instructions not to pass the half way line and I’ll puke.
Can put this in the “quote me thread” but maybe not the puking bit :)
Back 5

captaincantona

It's more the case he's incompetent rather than conservative.

Southgate was a terrible, terrible club level manager. He's one of the poorer international manager's out there.
I’m not English…but have watched them a lot over the years. Your diamond shoes are too tight.

At one point , you literally had the best players in the world in your squad and were completely shite. No manager maximised that potential. From an outsiders point of view Southgate has done much better with a far less gifted group. He introduced young players and found formations to get the best out of what he has to great effect. Bar sticking with his favourites too often he hasn’t seemed to bow to public option at all and has rarely gotten it wrong.

Also, because of his name, everyone was waiting for him to slip so they could kick him when he was down and bring in someone to play sexier football.

I’m astounded by the arrogance of England fans calling for him to be replaced. No international team dominates for long these days. Italy win the thing then fail to qualify for the next one. England have decent players that excel in the systems of some great managers at club level. Trying to pull those pieces together is going to be a challenge for any manager.

if any manager deserves for a country to stick with him it’s Southgate.

sugar_kane

Never really given a shit about England but Southgate makes me actively dislike them.

Dreary charisma vacuum manager who plays crap football and a closet ABU who packs his squad with mediocre often unlikeable players.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I understand he has been approached by 'Insomniacs UK' to star in a late night TV show titled:
Watching Paint Dry with Gareth Southgate.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not English…but have watched them a lot over the years. Your diamond shoes are too tight.

At one point , you literally had the best players in the world in your squad and were completely shite. No manager maximised that potential. From an outsiders point of view Southgate has done much better with a far less gifted group. He introduced young players and found formations to get the best out of what he has to great effect. Bar sticking with his favourites too often he hasn’t seemed to bow to public option at all and has rarely gotten it wrong.

Also, because of his name, everyone was waiting for him to slip so they could kick him when he was down and bring in someone to play sexier football.

I’m astounded by the arrogance of England fans calling for him to be replaced. No international team dominates for long these days. Italy win the thing then fail to qualify for the next one. England have decent players that excel in the systems of some great managers at club level. Trying to pull those pieces together is going to be a challenge for any manager.

He should never have been given the job in the first place. It’s not arrogant to suggest that he is not good enough because his career speaks for itself. The National team should be considered the pinnacle of a managers career, particularly if they’re English. It’s earned, not given. He got the job because he is the FA mouthpiece and to show that the FAs training program’s at St George are worth the money. The public are well within their rights to have an opinion on its success. In fact it’s arrogant to suggest people cannot form opinions.

Gazza

deserve ain’t got nothing to do with it. It’s his time. #snoop

Gazza

He should never have been given the job in the first place. It’s not arrogant to suggest that he is not good enough because his career speaks for itself. The National team should be considered the pinnacle of a managers career, particularly if they’re English. It’s earned, not given. He got the job because he is the FA mouthpiece and to show that the FAs training program’s at St George are worth the money. The public are well within their rights to have an opinion on its success. In fact it’s arrogant to suggest people cannot form opinions.
but, but, your diamond shoes are too tight!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Spot on

Mmm-Qatarian

Southgate has his failings but he's absolutely nowhere near as crap as some of you make him out to be.

The guy took us to the semis of the World Cup and the final of the Euros and people talk about him like he's fecking John Carver.

I'm beginning to hope England fans with this constant moaning get their wish soon. The fa cow to pressure and Southgate leaves and gets replaced by someone not interested in playing with the hand break. So that England can go out attack everyone and get shanked by mid rate teams on the counter repeatedly. Maybe then they will finally realize they still lack the requisite balance in talent in midfield, and defence to play more freely than Southgate has them playing.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
A mediocre manager who sets his team up not to win, but to not lose. It is a waste of talent having him at the helm. I actually hope Chelsea do well (but not as well as us) so a proper manager like Potter can have a go.

Some idiots here think we want England to play a 2 - 2 - 6 formation with every attacking talent thrown in. No you numpties, there are ways to achieve balance without having to stodge up midfield with Rice and Phillips game after game. Will be pissed if Bellingham doesn't start this time.

NoPace

It'd be ruthless and chaotic but I sort of think England should offer Tuchel the job for the next few months and see if he can win the World Cup. He knows all the players well except Bellingham, plays 3 at the back and the team could just have a Chelsea core. The attack was bad, but he'd have Kane so might be different, and Rice is an athletic DM which Chelsea seemed to lack with Kante out, and his 3-4-2-1 is tough to break down and Spurs don't play that differently so might suit them:

Sterling-------Kane----------------------
--------------------Mount--------James
Chilwell---Rice--Bellingham-------
Stones/Guehi---Dier-----Walker

not very exciting, but I'd probably back that team to win over Southgate getting it done.

hodgey123

Surely Bellingham will be starting in the midfield given the form of Henderson (and Mount although obviously slightly different position) and the fact that Phillips no longer plays regular football? If we do go with 5 at the back then I can't see it but I'd personally select something along the lines of the below

Pickford
James Stones Dier Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Sterling
Kane

What I actually expect to see at the World Cup:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Phillips
Saka Mount Sterling
Kane

GlasgowCeltic

he'll struggle to justify leaving Foden out but id expect he will. Bellingham will be starting come the WC though, he obviously promoted him early with a view to him being 'the answer' in cm as i do think Southgate knows the cm options are generally crap in fairness, hes definitely been over cautious as a result though

A mediocre manager who sets his team up not to win, but to not lose. It is a waste of talent having him at the helm. I actually hope Chelsea do well (but not as well as us) so a proper manager like Potter can have a go.

Some idiots here think we want England to play a 2 - 2 - 6 formation with every attacking talent thrown in. No you numpties, there are ways to achieve balance without having to stodge up midfield with Rice and Phillips game after game. Will be pissed if Bellingham doesn't start this time.
If actually had the clue you claim to have you'd actually understand for example Phillips + Rice is by neccessity. Not managerial fancy. The ONLY deep midfielder talent with attacking instincts you have eligible for your squad is Bellingham. Last tournament he wasn't ready. NOT only that you don't have ANY center defence pair good enough to make you compete with the best using a back 4 neither. That is why he takes a safety first approach. Trusting in the fact if he can bolt the door vs anyone, the attacking talents upfront can win most games. That is why the last 2 international tournamemts have ended in deep runs. Till your deep midfield issue is soft. It will be impossible to play more fluidily consistently. Plus with your current defensive options a change of formation wouldn't make any real difference.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
If actually had the clue you claim to have you'd actually understand for example Phillips + Rice is by neccessity. Not managerial fancy. The ONLY deep midfielder talent with attacking instincts you have eligible for your squad is Bellingham. Last tournament he wasn't ready. NOT only that you don't have ANY center defence pair good enough to make you compete with the best using a back 4 neither. That is why he takes a safety first approach. Trusting in the fact if he can bolt the door vs anyone, the attacking talents upfront can win most games. That is why the last 2 international tournamemts have ended in deep runs. Till your deep midfield issue is soft. It will be impossible to play more fluidily consistently. Plus with your current defensive options a change of formation wouldn't make any real difference.
Rubbish, got totally outplayed by an Italy team couldn't even qualify for the next world cup. A better manager would have done better than hanging for dear life for 90% of that tie in a home stadium with 90,000 fans literally willing the team on to win for the first time in forever. Mancini took off Barella, Immobile, Insigne, Chiesa and Veratti as soon as they ran out of steam. Southgate waited until the dying embers of the tie to make any substitutions. He also didn't take Ward Prowse who has energy and fits the bill as able to keep possession better. He is as limited a manager as his club record suggests. Use caps lock all you want, doesn't change the fact your post is a load of old bollocks.

Flying_Heckfish

When he took the job, there weren't many others clamouring for it. We were in a reset phase.

Luckily for him, our personnel have proved to be good during his tenure and he's done well on paper - can't argue with the finishes even if we could have done better with a more experienced coach. Hard to sack him.

Now though, the squad have definitely outgrown him. If we fail again, I'm sure the pool of managers will be better.

R'hllor

After world cup, he will be first in line for the future king.

BerryBerryShrew

Pretty sure that the sole reason that the last 2 tournaments have ended in deep runs is the poor quality opposition England had to face to get there.

I don't think anyone can seriously claim that beating Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and needing penalties to overcome Colombia while losing twice to Belgium and once to Croatia constitutes a fantastic World Cup performance that would be beyond Southy's predecessors. Saying "World Cup semi-finalist" misses the reality that England will never again have more luck with fixtures...and that includes the 2022 tourney.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Never really given a shit about England but Southgate makes me actively dislike them.

Dreary charisma vacuum manager who plays crap football and a closet ABU who packs his squad with mediocre often unlikeable players.
He’s self obsessed. Makes the entire notion of football management a reflection of him. He’s actually the worst manager England have had in a long long time. Hoddle, Sven, Venables, Capello would’ve gotten far more from both the players and the draws. Southgate is a total fraud.

Gazza

Rubbish, got totally outplayed by an Italy team couldn't even qualify for the next world cup. A better manager would have done better than hanging for dear life for 90% of that tie in a home stadium with 90,000 fans literally willing the team on to win for the first time in forever. Mancini took off Barella, Immobile, Insigne, Chiesa and Veratti as soon as they ran out of steam. Southgate waited until the dying embers of the tie to make any substitutions. He also didn't take Ward Prowse who has energy and fits the bill as able to keep possession better. He is as limited a manager as his club record suggests. Use caps lock all you want, doesn't change the fact your post is a load of old bollocks.
:lol:

Rest of the post is spot on too

mikeyt

Dreadful manager that picks players on being 'one of his boys' rather than on form. So many players in this squad have barely kicked a ball in this season yet will not just be in the squad but will start. He'll always start the likes of Mount despite being in shite form.

I don't buy this shite about the last two tournaments. We played one decent team across both tournaments in Belgium at the WC and lost twice. Outside of that we made exceptionally hard work of beating mediocre teams, does no-one recall that we needed Kane to bundle over a last minute goal to beat a shocking Tunisia side in the group stage of that World Cup.

This is arguably one of the most talented generation of attacking players England has seen for a long time and yet Southgate and his 'play not to lose tactics' has made me so disinterested in England, I feel a bit gutted.

Southgate and his 'play not to lose tactics' has made me so disinterested
The teams that win often play like this though. It's not a constant thing, but both of the last two WC winning French teams have been quite boring to watch. Same with Spain in 2010. Not to forget Portugal and their draw streak which carried them into the knock out stages and ended up winning it.

Grande

From an outsider’s perspective, I agree with you, and I’ve also found it strange to watch managers called vegetables for making the contents do exactly what it says on the tin.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The teams that win often play like this though. It's not a constant thing, but both of the last two WC winning French teams have been quite boring to watch. Same with Spain in 2010. Not to forget Portugal and their draw streak which carried them into the knock out stages and ended up winning it.
Eh? I fell in love with the French national team at the '98 WC, Zidane became my favourite player that summer and remains so, to this day.

I much prefer to watch France than England.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
English fans and media can be fickle. Weve heard terms like golden generation before and these teams fizzled hard. Southgate may have good players to choose from but not good enough to expect world cup success. This England team isnt Spain 2010, Brazil 2002 or France 98 level. Southgate has done better than every England manager for 60 years and has been the closest to realising the lofty expectations of England football fans.

Im also curious as to who woudl replace him? Surely English football is big enough to pick an Englishman. Ive heard Howe and Potter. So basically Graham Potter is the key to the World Cup? The French with Mbappe and Benzema upfront will be so glad he took the Chelsea job so they now have a chance to defend their title.