Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldanoGraham

Liked him at the World Cup and very impressed with how busy and involved he is tonight

He would be great for us

SamVimes

Between him and Rice, which one looks like the £100 million midfielder. He's bossed it tonight.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's easily MoM on today's performance. Ideal as a backup to Casemiro or when both are needed at tough away games.

NoPace

World cups are really deceiving, most games are against poor opposition. National teams football is at least one step down clubs football, teams don't even train together properly plus besides 8-10 teams, most are purely average or below. Because of the stage the fame gets amplified but it's not the best way to rate a player.

Now, I have never watch Amrabat in Serie A but it seems he was not rated before it. Thats why my reservations about signing him.
Yeah, but Morocco had a new coach and fairly inexperienced CMs with him and they were solidly composed defensively the entire World Cup. That's more impressive to me than having a few good attacking moments. He knit together a midfield as he seems to do for Fiorentina.

Also worth noting that Norgaard couldn't win the job of DM for Fiorentina and Amrabat came right after and immediately became undroppable in the same spot, and we've seen Norgaard do quite well as a boring DM in the Prem mid-table, and I'd certainly take Norgaard over McTominay as our backup DM, even if he wouldn't be a starter for us.

zaafi

Only watched him in World Cup, but his defensive stats for Fiorentina are incredibly average.

hmchan

Only watched him in World Cup, but his defensive stats for Fiorentina are incredibly average.
Many struggle to rate a player on the defensive side of the game. West Ham did very little going forward tonight, and on the one or two occassions they did Amrabat failed to cope.

Abraxas

He was good on the ball but started to look pedestrian when West Ham became more competitive.

Not sure. Think the PL intensity might be a question mark.

Ekeke

Well if that's the case he certainly didn't show it today

Bowen and Paqueta won them the match, not him
He's the captain. Of a club that just won the europa league. After not winning a trophy for ages.

You obviously have no idea what a captain does. West Ham's tactics won them the match, and Paqueta and Bowen did great playing their role in it. That wasnt Rice's role though. His was to make sure the team carried out Moyes' tactics.

Rockets Redglare

He's the captain. Of a club that just won the europa league. After not winning a trophy for ages.

You obviously have no idea what a captain does. West Ham's tactics won them the match, and Paqueta and Bowen did great playing their role in it. That wasnt Rice's role though. His was to make sure the team carried out Moyes' tactics.
It isn’t the Europa league and he was poor tonight. You do realise that captain isn’t a position don’t you?

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Doesn't look particularly mobile and a lot of the time he was under very little pressure on the ball.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very good tonight, would offer something we lack in our squad. Also made a few good line breaking passes.

Wasn't hugely pressured, but dealt well with any time he was.

Reminded me a bit of Matic.

hmchan

A player is valued by his ability, not performance (which is affected by multiple factors). Rice didn't have the best performance tonight but at least he showed his one-on-one defensive skills (early in the game), passing range, and ability to retain the ball under pressure. Amrabat, on the other hand, demonstrated nothing but the willingness to show up at the half back for safe passes. Catchy on the eye, but not something you'd pay 100m for especially when the defensive side of his game is average to poor.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Doesn't look particularly mobile and a lot of the time he was under very little pressure on the ball.
He is mobile enough just not the quickest. It’s a weakness that comes with his game but he reads the game very well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A player is valued by his ability, not performance (which is affected by multiple factors). Rice didn't have the best performance tonight but at least he showed his one-on-one defensive skills (early in the game), passing range, and ability to retain the ball under pressure. Amrabat, on the other hand, demonstrated nothing but the willingness to show up at the half back for safe passes. Catchy on the eye, but not something you'd pay 100m for especially when the defensive side of his game is average to poor.
Rice's passing was atrocious tonight, not sure what you're on about there.

Amrabat would be a 5th of the price of Rice and there was extremely little difference in quality tonight.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rice's passing was atrocious tonight, not sure what you're on about there.

Amrabat would be a 5th of the price of Rice and there was extremely little difference in quality tonight.
This is key. Its ridiculous to spend 100m on Rice because he's British and the PL when you have players like Amrabat you can get at much cheaper valuations and also prioritize other positions.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is key. Its ridiculous to spend 100m on Rice because he's British and the PL when you have players like Amrabat you can get at much cheaper valuations and also prioritize other positions.
I don't mind slightly over paying for Mount because he's English and PL proven, but we'd already be getting him at a discount due to his contract situation. That covers that squad need for a reasonable price still, we don't need to be doing the same with Rice.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sounds like a huge exaggeration of a captain's role. And even if it isn't, United wouldn't sign Rice as a captain (or assistant coach, by how you're describing this), so I don't see how this is relevant to a transfer discussion.

Mainoldo

If anyone watched this game tonight and still thought this guy can play at this level.

Stop giving your opinion on players.

Played well tonight but was obviously playing at his level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

So he had no tactical role on the pitch? His role was to just make sure others did their job? So they played with 10 men and an assistant?

Its ok for a player to have a performance below their peak and its also ok for a fan to admit it

SAFMUTD

The conference league. A good achievement for a club like West Ham, but really the lowest level of european competition.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Amrabat is someone who I think we should try signing. Definitely someone who can play in a deeper role and would likely be reasonably valued.

Ekeke

So he had no tactical role on the pitch? His role was to just make sure others did their job? So they played with 10 men and an assistant?

Its ok for a player to have a performance below their peak and its also ok for a fan to admit it
Making sure the team stays in shape defending deep so you can spring a counter is the most important tactical role. So not sure how you misunderstood so badly.

Abraxas

My biggest worry would be he looked quite slow and unathletic. At least by PL standards.

Which for me makes him a poor match alongside Casemiro. People will say he's a Casemiro rotation, which is fine and he'd excel in that function, but I think the manager would more likely go for a player that is a little more adaptable than purely sitting in between the centre backs and passing with a high completion. In many, many games that won't be such a relevant function, and even fewer when Casemiro is ready to play.

This is why Amrabat is shopping in Aldi whereas Caicedo is Waitrose. There's so much more you can do with Caicedos ability. He can go box to box, he's got the engine.

RepublicOnEdge

My biggest worry would be he looked quite slow and unathletic. At least by PL standards.

Which for me makes him a poor match alongside Casemiro. People will say he's a Casemiro rotation, which is fine and he'd excel in that function, but I think the manager would more likely go for a player that is a little more adaptable than purely sitting in between the centre backs and passing with a high completion. In many, many games that won't be such a relevant function, and even fewer when Casemiro is ready to play.

This is why Amrabat is shopping in Aldi whereas Caicedo is Waitrose. There's so much more you can do with Caicedos ability. He can go box to box, he's got the engine.
I see it differently. He may not be the most athletic midfielder however what I was impressed with tonight, having not seen him much before, was his ability and moreso willingness to come take the ball deep.

He is obviously not at FdJ level however he does have very good composure on the ball, can beat the press as we seen tonight and can certainly pick a pass from deep.

He's obviously not our answer at 8, I see him more as a 6/8 hybrid back-up to Casemiro similar to if we signed Rabiot however him and Casemiro in a deep two could work very well against lesser teams with Case moving forward slightly and Amrabat picking the ball up deep to spray it about.

Reactions: Sultan

glasgow 21

Declan Rice is a midfield version of a younger Maguire and should not be in the conversation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Making sure the team stays in shape defending deep so you can spring a counter is the most important tactical role. So not sure how you misunderstood so badly.
You are quite obviously miss characterising his role to suit your agenda but its fine. Organisation is just a part of a role not a role in it entirety

hmchan

I see it differently. He may not be the most athletic midfielder however what I was impressed with tonight, having not seen him much before, was his ability and moreso willingness to come take the ball deep.

He is obviously not at FdJ level however he does have very good composure on the ball, can beat the press as we seen tonight and can certainly pick a pass from deep.

He's obviously not our answer at 8, I see him more as a 6/8 hybrid back-up to Casemiro similar to if we signed Rabiot however him and Casemiro in a deep two could work very well against lesser teams with Case moving forward slightly and Amrabat picking the ball up deep to spray it about.
Only that West Ham didn't press at all, or at a very low intensity. Amrabat was given all the time to receive the ball and pick a pass without pressure. When West Ham chose to speed things up in the second half, Fiorentina went for long without going through Amrabat. It's only normal for people to doubt if he can show the same kind of composure by the PL standard, where there are many teams with more intense, coordinated pressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.