Solskjær’s Multi-Year Plan

sparx99

I am not completely writing him off. I am doubting that he's good enough though. He's been here for around 30 games already and unlike Pep and Klopp, his tactical imprint appears to be missing. He's got this season to do whatever he wants to, but I'm not positive at all. Even when results don't go swimmingly, you should be able to see the imprint of the manager taking hold (as was the case with Klopp). With Ole, I just can't see the excellence. Which isn't surprising given his lack of pedigree in management I suppose.
Klopp finished 8th in his first season. His tactical style was perhaps emerging but they lost 10 games that season and didn’t qualify for Europe.

Maybe you can’t see the excellence yet but we do play in a completely different style to Mourinho's team. Yet again we’ve veered from one extreme to the other and it will take time to adapt the squad to that change.

If you are looking for where there has been a clear uptick you should look at the penalties we’ve won. All three have been created from a player driving into the box and drawing the foul. We’ve not had players running at and past defenders for years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Once again reality is hitting home for us. Ole was a sentimental appointment.

Had he never played for us he'd not have made the top 200 candidates list.

He won't be manager start of next season because we won't even make Europa with this squad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can take short-term pains for long-term gains and I think Ole,Ed and the Glazers are very much,for the first time,in unison here.
People thinking Ole will be sacked if we miss out on a European place need to get with the reality. This team is not good enough yet for European football.

I like the foundations Ole and the staff are putting in place. The 3 signings have given us a breath of fresh air but much more work clearly needs to be done and I'm confident it will be. Fans need to be really patient,which going by here that's going to be a real struggle for some.
The majority here haven't seen United in this state.So this will be a eye opener.

United have desperately needed a time like this where they'll have wipe the slate clean. Start all over again.
Since SAF retired United have just been throwing money around at United with no clear stragedy. Throwing money onto weak foundations.
The choices of coaches illustrate this. United haven't for a long time known what to do.
Now I finally think they're but the fans need to be patient. There's going to be alot of rough before it gets smooth.

Yeah, United will likely be seen as banter FC this season,from fans and rivals and pundits. So what. I can quite comfortably take that.
And there's going to be alot of negative views being thrown at United this season from the press and pundits alike. Again I can deal with that for the time being.
And United fans will continue to be jealous of their rivals,which is natural.

Concerning Ole. He clearly hasn't got the squad he wants so far and we fans can see this also. We still have alot of mediocrity at the club,the midfield and sub options illustrated that yesterday. But its just going to be a gradual process in getting these players out.
I think classing Ole and the coaching staff as clueless is just daft. This is'nt new to Ole either. Moyes,LVG and Jose have all been branded with such lazy terms.
Simple fact is Ole hasn't got the right personal and quality to work with currently, much the same as our previous managers.Again nothing new here, especially where it concerns our former manager in Jose who had a purposefully public meltdown. Had Jose been more reserved then I would've gladly liked to have seen him continue as United coach and see us through this transition,similarly with LVG.

Now for United fans who want real,instant change,with regards to ownership,they need to be consistently more active in protesting. And I'm mainly talking about going outside and demanding change on the streets of Manchester and at Old Trafford. More banners and chanting at the grounds.
Also stop throwing your money at the club. That's the only way you can possibly hurt them.
Social media ? nah,easily avoidable for the Glazers. It was a decent idea but its not going to hurt them really.
Consistency is the major element in protesting. I understand fans/people have other issues in their lives. But If people have big issues with the boardroom and ownership side of the club criticism needs to be publicly relentless. People cant just be popping up with their GLAZEROUT moto after every poor result. Consistency.

Back onto Ole,I'm still confident in him setting the foundations for a successful time for United in the future. That may not necessarily mean major trophy success every season and Ole himself may not be the one to see this team all the way through. He may just be here purely on foundation building with the club and himself open to new management down the line. A management that could potentially take this hopeful new young team forward.
But I reiterate that I can take the rough for the time being. I'm not expecting European football next season (CL or EL),frankly we're not quite there yet with the personal.
We'll only be making up the numbers for the time being. I dont want United to be there making up the numbers. I want us to go into these competitions with the potential of challenge.

Anyway that's me for the day.
All I can ask for is abit more patience and,if you're going to be critical ,atleast be intelligent about it.

Last edited:

gajender

1. Doubt Ole can have a long term plan when Moyes with a better record, and appointed by the late great Sir Alex Ferguson got sacked for reason less???? Ole needs to think of a plan to save his job now before we appoint Giggys again. David Moyes.

Manchester United 2 - 2 Fulham
Are you alright mate?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Klopp finished 8th in his first season. His tactical style was perhaps emerging but they lost 10 games that season and didn’t qualify for Europe.

Maybe you can’t see the excellence yet but we do play in a completely different style to Mourinho's team. Yet again we’ve veered from one extreme to the other and it will take time to adapt the squad to that change.

If you are looking for where there has been a clear uptick you should look at the penalties we’ve won. All three have been created from a player driving into the box and drawing the foul. We’ve not had players running at and past defenders for years.
Liverpool also sat 1st 11 games into his 2nd season having scored 30 goals. It took Klopp no time to get a bunch of largely crap players playing explosive football.

Moiraine

Ole is doing everything right. He's the first manager since Fergie who is rebuilding the right way.

Daniel James has been a huge hit. Rashford should play on the right with Martial through the middle.

We need Maddison and Jadon Sancho in a year to complete the project. This year is going to be painful but with some rays of sunshine along the way such as - McTominay, James, Wan-Bisakka, Maguire, Greenwood.

We won't be getting top 4 sadly. Our midfield is too weak
Midfield can be blossomed with Gomes.

Pogba—-Gomez—-McTominay

I wonder why he’s been overlooked... it’s criminal to play Lingard and Periera ahead of him

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People putting 'Gomez' and hoping to be taken seriously.

meamth

Sometimes it baffles me when someone said we were playing zombie football in the last 3 games.

For many years since Fergie I'm feeling excited again to watch United play. We weren't that bad like 50% of the posters here said.

When all things goes for us, we will win again. Patience!

playtowin

Ole appears to have worked very hard to move players out and clear out those who have done little or nothing positive in recent times. Though I still find it startling that Jones and Smalling got those new deals last year.

However he needed at least another 2 players in during the summer. That the club chased Maguire all summer, only to get him at the end of the window, for the price Leicester wanted at the start of the window was scandalous.

Maguire should have been signed early, allowing the chance to work on other deals. Rice or Longstaff at the right price would have helped, and Bruno Fernandes was available at a decent price and surely was worth it? And not bringing in a new striker is poor. And Tierney at 25m should have been a deal done to fight with Shaw for the LB slot.

Looking ahead to the next 2 windows, I'd have Rice, Sancho and Maddison at the top of my wishlist. And as Harry Kane would be my top choice for a striker, that's sadly not going to happen, so another option needs to be found.

In the meantime, from here until January, the current squad have to start becoming ruthless and start making the most of the positions they are getting into. Too many times the wrong pass or shot is attempted and attacks break down. Some of the times Lingard got into a great position yesterday but took a shot on when he could have rolled a teammate in was infuriating. And I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon in slagging him off.

Ole is in a tough spot right now, and he has to come out fighting. The international break may be a blessing, where he can take stock of the first few games, and what needs to change to make it click. The defence will improve as they improve the relationships there.

Reactions: Sultan

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yet people could see the progress he was making. With Ole they're hanging or random things like penalties and jammy results where we got battered (Paris). The underlying improvement is actually missing his his case.

We haven't had players dribbling past defenders? :lol: What was Martial doing all season for LVG ?

Look I hope he does well. But I'm not seeing his quality at all. All you need ISNT time. You need excellence.

POF

Sometimes it baffles me when someone said we were playing zombie football in the last 3 games.

For many years since Fergie I'm feeling excited again to watch United play. We weren't that bad like 50% of the posters here said.

I agree. I have enjoyed watching United play this season and they've been extremely unlucky so far this season. Neves scored an absolute screamer out of nowhere for Wolves in their only moderately threatening spell of the game.

Against Palace, whatever could go wrong went wrong. There should have been at least one red card and a blatant penalty on Martial. Even the penalty they missed was so close to going in that it went wide on the opposite side to the post it hit. They conceded both goals vs Palace with an injured player on the pitch.

Awful defending vs Southampton but again, they scored during their only threatening spell and there was another clear penalty not awarded for the foul on Greenwood.

I really hope they keep the faith and don't change the style because things are better than they currently seem.

Mr.Plow

Which top players are even gonna want to join when we finish outside the top 6?

Treble

I agree. I have enjoyed watching United play this season and they've been extremely unlucky so far this season. Neves scored an absolute screamer out of nowhere for Wolves in their only moderately threatening spell of the game.

Against Palace, whatever could go wrong went wrong. There should have been at least one red card and a blatant penalty on Martial. Even the penalty they missed was so close to going in that it went wide on the opposite side to the post it hit. They conceded both goals vs Palace with an injured player on the pitch.

Awful defending vs Southampton but again, they scored during their only threatening spell and there was another clear penalty not awarded for the foul on Greenwood.

I really hope they keep the faith and don't change the style because things are better than they currently seem.
We were lucky against Chelsea, for 60 minutes they were the better team. The being unlucky narrative is a bit exaggerated.

JustAGuest

Likewise. Everyone knows we are in need of a rebuild, yet few are prepared to go through a period of mixed results. I agree with the departures in the transfer window, and I think the faith put into a younger squad is a refreshing change of pace. Even if Ole as a manager does not work out, I think the squad will be in a better state for the manager that succeeds him.

dove

Likewise. Everyone knows we are in need of a rebuild, yet few are prepared to go through a period of mixed results. I agree with the departures in the transfer window, and I think the faith put into a younger squad is a refreshing change of pace. Even if Ole as a manager does not work out, I think the squad will be in a better state for the manager that succeeds him.
Results are not mixed, they are consistently crap. 3 wins out of what, 16 matches? Relegation form with no signs of it changing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Which top players are even gonna want to join when we finish outside the top 6?
Which Top players joined Liverpool or Spurs when they were in transition ? none.
Maybe we should focus on players who want to join us instead of grovelling for the big names,who always likely fail with us anyway.

In general I think a better comparison to our state would be Spurs under Poch in their recent days.

When Poch's first campaign had finished the majority of Spurs fans thought they were literally going nowhere. Their football under Poch that season was ugly and disjointed.
Turned out well in the end.

But,anyway,like I say : The managers lose when we lose.The players win when we win.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAGuest

Results are not mixed, they are consistently crap. 3 wins out of what, 16 matches? Relegation form with no signs of it changing.
Look at this season for a start. 1 win, 2 draws, and 1 loss. Those are mixed. The signs of it changing are seen in the chances we haven't scored, and the individual mistakes in some of the conceded goals.

Those are the xG maps for each of the games so far. Some don't like the metric - but it's the best predictor of future results that there is, much better than actual results which people put a lot of weight into when evaluating performance. Anyway, the point is that there are indeed signs of it changing.

Ole is saying as much after the game, and I think he's being honest:
We had loads of chances, created loads of openings but the last bit is just missing. It’s getting there though. We have to learn to get those scrappy goals, not just the worldies! We do push teams back now and we do get around them. What is pleasing is that we didn’t just resort to panicky crosses and long balls and we played, and we should have scored to be honest. We feel numb and a little bit disappointed. In the last three games we’ve lost points that we definitely deserved to win.

yellowandgreens

Basic wiki copy/paste below, but always worth remembering.... Personally I'm encouraged by a change in style of play, 3/3 transfers in one window all looking good, removal of a lot of under performing players & promotion of youth. It needs another two summers to fully cull the squad and add what needs adding.

In the 1987–88 season, Ferguson made several major signings, including Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton. The new players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in second place, nine points behind Liverpool. Liverpool's points lead, however, had been in double digits for most of the season and while United had lost only five league games all season, they drew 12 games and there was clearly still some way to go before United could be a match for their north western rivals.

During the season, United played two friendly matches in Bermuda against the Bermuda national team and the Somerset Cricket Club.[71] In the match against Somerset, both Ferguson himself and his assistant, Archie Knox, took to the field, with Knox even getting on the scoresheet. The match was Ferguson's only appearance for the Manchester United first team.[71]

United were expected to do well when Mark Hughesreturned to the club two years after leaving for Barcelona, but the 1988–89 season was a disappointment for them, finishing 11th in the league and losing 1–0 at home to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup sixth round. They had begun the season slowly, going on a nine-match winless run throughout October and November (with one defeat and eight draws) before a run of generally good results took them to third place and the fringes of the title challenge by mid February. However, another run of disappointing results in the final quarter of the season saw them fall down to mid-table.

For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan, and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[72][73] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.[74][75]

Following a run of seven games without a win, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were performing well that season and were in the process of winning the League Cup for the second season running,[76] and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 due to a Mark Robins goal and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match that saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career, even though it has since been stated that his job was never at risk.[76][77][78] United went on to win the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1–0 in the final replay after a 3–3 draw in the first match, giving Ferguson his first major trophy as Manchester United manager.

Godfather

Now I know Ole made the comment after the match about the plan for rebuilding the squad, I was looking at how it could possibly look:

January ‘20:

New CM brought in

Summer ‘20:

Players out: Matic & Young (Contract Expires), Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo
Players in: RW, LB, CM, CB

Squad:
GK - DDG, Romero, Grant
DEF - AWB, Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Axel, Jones, CB, Shaw, LB
MID - McT, Pogba, Fred, CM, CM, Garner, Gomes (hopefully with new contract)
WING - James, Rashford, RW, Chong
ST - Martial, Greenwood

I could hopefully see something like this happening and as long as we get CL next season (somehow), I could see this being quite a positive rebuild.
I expect Pogba to leave and maybe DDG as well. Fred might as well. This is an endless "rebuilding" project especially with the funds given to us.

Bestietom

We can't buy from the PL unless we want to overpay to ridiclous levels in January. But there are options abroad that we can take a punt on, just requires actual scouting.
Agree, there are plenty of options abroad if scouts do their job. Should be lined up NOW.

meamth

Basic wiki copy/paste below, but always worth remembering.... Personally I'm encouraged by a change in style of play, 3/3 transfers in one window all looking good, removal of a lot of under performing players & promotion of youth. It needs another two summers to fully cull the squad and add what needs adding.

In the 1987–88 season, Ferguson made several major signings, including Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton. The new players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in second place, nine points behind Liverpool. Liverpool's points lead, however, had been in double digits for most of the season and while United had lost only five league games all season, they drew 12 games and there was clearly still some way to go before United could be a match for their north western rivals.

During the season, United played two friendly matches in Bermuda against the Bermuda national team and the Somerset Cricket Club.[71] In the match against Somerset, both Ferguson himself and his assistant, Archie Knox, took to the field, with Knox even getting on the scoresheet. The match was Ferguson's only appearance for the Manchester United first team.[71]

United were expected to do well when Mark Hughesreturned to the club two years after leaving for Barcelona, but the 1988–89 season was a disappointment for them, finishing 11th in the league and losing 1–0 at home to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup sixth round. They had begun the season slowly, going on a nine-match winless run throughout October and November (with one defeat and eight draws) before a run of generally good results took them to third place and the fringes of the title challenge by mid February. However, another run of disappointing results in the final quarter of the season saw them fall down to mid-table.

For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan, and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[72][73] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.[74][75]

Following a run of seven games without a win, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were performing well that season and were in the process of winning the League Cup for the second season running,[76] and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 due to a Mark Robins goal and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match that saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career, even though it has since been stated that his job was never at risk.[76][77][78] United went on to win the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1–0 in the final replay after a 3–3 draw in the first match, giving Ferguson his first major trophy as Manchester United manager.
What would happen if caf existed back then? :lol:

Fluctuation0161

Look at Klopps track record before that season. Good CV?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

I'm looking at it 2 ways...on one hand I look at the fact that we have had chances to win all the games we haven't got 3 point from so far. Martial should have had a hat trick at wolves in the first half, and a good spell which saw us win the penalty.

Palace had 2 shots on target goal the whole game...yesterday, after the goal we had chances to bury a second, before Southampton got their shit together 7 or so minutes before HT. On another day they go for you, like they did with Chelsea game.

There are certainly moments of promise.

However, I wouldnt say in any of these games we were banging down the door.

I think back to the 0-0 with Burnley at home, we hammered on the door for 90 minutes and it was save after ridiculous save, wave after wave of attack. Or you go back to that mental game 15 odd years back against Sunderland at Old Trafford...where their keeper basically saved everything! Mart Poom was it?

We had plenty of the ball against Palace...but bar the Dan James chance we created little until the penalty. Wolves away, we were in control first half, but by end of the game we could hardly say we worked the keeper an awful lot.

We have displayed the same fragility in both away games too, and to a degree Palace at home. We concede and just go to a shambles. No composure, no control.

Palace had another opportunity shortly after scoring at Old Trafford they should have taken. Against both Southampton and Wolves the pressure was building...and after we conceded...we were awful. It wasn't until Southampton went to 10 we regained any control. Wolves we were really messy.

There is a weak mentality in this lot...but bar Maguire we have absolutely no leaders. Who the feck is grabbing hold of us on the pitch to pull it together?

Nobody is taking responsibility for that. We have had leaders all through this team in the past. We are so weak mentally, with obvious holes in our playing staff.

Dan James, Scott McTominay, Maguire and Wan Bissaka are positives so far. Martial has shown an eye for goal, hopefully that develops and continues. Other than that, there is alot of work to be done.

Lingard, Pereira, Matic really are nothing players for me. Young needs replacing and the likes of Bailly, Jones, Rojo are stealing a living as far as I'm concerned.

This was never going to be solved in one window, and if Martial and Rashford are the way forward they need to deal with that pressure and develop. They may or may not be good enough to shoulder that burden. This is their opportunity.

We are light in just about every area of the pitch in quality and depth. Hopefully that is addressed over the next two transfer windows. It's difficult to say whether we are moving forward or in the right direction right now.

Live in hope :)

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I think our football looks better. Despite the bad results I think it's too early to pass a verdict on Ole with any certainty. I am certain that we don't have much that any manager, no matter how good, could work with.

Regarding a 'multi year plan' I'm not very optimistic he will be backed properly. None of our past managers have.

I wish him the best though, hope he gets the backing a Man utd. manager deserves and that he can turn it around.

AneRu

In order to execute a multi year plan you have to deliver the bare minimum in the interim, short term results earn you a shot at the long term plan. You can't one of the biggest wage bills in world football, also got the chance to spend outrageous amounts on the defense and talk of multi year plans as if you are planning on taking Bournemouth from the 4th division. Failing to deliver two wins in a three game fixture list that had Wolves, Palace and Southampton is just not good enough at this level.

I am not full on Ole out but he would be naive if he thinks another 6th place finish will see him in the dug out next season. That would be Moyes like delusion.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole will probably survive till the end of the season but the purse will be kept closed in January. The club won't allow a manager whose tanking to spend big.

londonredmaniac

The criticism of Ole is staggering given the size of the rebuild and the fact he has had one window. He has identified targets, 3 of those have come in and looked like improving us.

Everyone was in agreement before the season started it was going to be a long term process, with huge challenges. The players he has at his disposal aren't fecking good enough, and given we all agree he wasn't solving that in one window how is he to blame for that exactly? Look at his predecessors for that. Absolute fecking shite bought for nearly a decade.

Ole may or not be successful, he may or may not be the right choice to take us forward...but to write him off already?

amolbhatia50k

As I've said before - what I need to see, if we're not going for trophies, is cohesive attacking football, youth and players in general being developed and entertainment. Last season there were alarm bells in this regard but Ole was allowed that. This season, so far, the signs are extremely worrisome. That imprint of a proper manager isn't there a the moment. Everything still appears to be a 'make it up as you go' thing with players just trying stuff when they can, as opposed to a strong overarching plan.

And the age of the squad is, for me, offset by a focus on average players like Periera and Lingard. If these are the faces of young Manchester United, we've got our priorities wrong.

Bestietom

The way Woodward does his transfer business it will take Multi years to get players over the line.

amolbhatia50k

The criticism of Ole is staggering given the size of the rebuild and the fact he has had one window. He has identified targets, 3 of those have come in and looked like improving us.

Everyone was in agreement before the season started it was going to be a long term process, with huge challenges. The players he has at his disposal aren't fecking good enough, and given we all agree he wasn't solving that in one window how is he to blame for that exactly? Look at his predecessors for that. Absolute fecking shite bought for nearly a decade.

Ole may or not be successful, he may or may not be the right choice to take us forward...but to write him off already?
Nothing was supposed to be solved in one window. But that doesn't mean a manager can get an easy ride without being judged. He's still managing Manchester United. You don't get 3 years of an easy ride free of being accountable. It's bizarre that anybody wants that.

I don't think he's done or anything. He deserves more time. But how much time he do will depend on well he coaches the team. If he's going to be a crap manager who gets more time just becuase time solves everything, then we deserve to be fecked.

POF

We were lucky against Chelsea, for 60 minutes they were the better team. The being unlucky narrative is a bit exaggerated.
I don't completely agree with you on the Chelsea game, but let's just say United were "lucky" to win. 10 points from 12 games would still be a really good return.

Of course, better teams make their own luck (or when they have bad luck go on and win anyway) and it's no surprise that another "unlucky" team in Chelsea have an inexperienced line up too.

This young United team really needed the breaks to go their way at the start of the season to get some momentum but it's definitely been more bad luck than good to start the season.

londonredmaniac

In order to execute a multi year plan you have to deliver the bare minimum in the interim, short term results earn you a shot at the long term plan. You can't one of the biggest wage bills in world football, also got the chance to spend outrageous amounts on the defense and talk of multi year plans as if you are planning on taking Bournemouth from the 4th division. Failing to deliver two wins in a three game fixture list that had Wolves, Palace and Southampton is just not good enough at this level.

I am not full on Ole out but he would be naive if he thinks another 6th place finish will see him in the dug out next season. That would be Moyes like delusion.
It's a poor start. I'm disappointed as anyone to be honest. You would have expected us to be at least 3 points better off. Early days this season, and though I'm not sold on Ole necessarily...I just feel like there are a ton of circumstances he isn't in control of.

The wage bill is really feck all to do with him, the overall quality of the squad is feck all to do with him..yet. the players he has brought in are good...which is a start.

But we need to put a run together, quickly.

The White Pele

I think Solskjaer needs to hope that there are players available in January that meet the profile of what we need.

I believe from what we’ve seen of him so far that he won’t panic in January and buy someone that doesn’t meet his criteria (like Moyes did with Mata) but it could be a long old season if we don’t strengthen in the window.

londonredmaniac

Nothing was supposed to be solved in one window. But that doesn't mean a manager can get an easy ride without being judged. He's still managing Manchester United. You don't get 3 years of an easy ride free of being accountable. It's bizarre that anybody wants that.

I don't think he's done or anything. He deserves more time. But how much time he do will depend on well he coaches the team. If he's going to be a crap manager who gets more time just becuase time solves everything, then we deserve to be fecked.
Indeed, I quite agree. I don't think he has been as quick to make changes as he could have been...however we are so short of quality options to change games.

I don't think time is always the answer, especially if it's the wrong man in the job. I am somewhat of a hypocrite in that I wanted Moyes sacked, because I was adamant he was nothing like good enough to manage United...so I sympathise to a degree with those who thought Ole was never the right man for the job.

Over the next few months we will see how he fairs. In a lot of ways last season was a free hit. Ole has alot to learn about management...just hope he learns quick.

As you say, not time to write him off yet. Some of the comments in here alluding to hoping he gets the sack though are baffling. That gets my back up a bit.

londonredmaniac

I think Solskjaer needs to hope that there are players available in January that meet the profile of what we need.

I believe from what we’ve seen of him so far that he won’t panic in January and buy someone that doesn’t meet his criteria (like Moyes did with Mata) but it could be a long old season if we don’t strengthen in the window.
You feel he needs that! Without a doubt.

Bestietom

It's a poor start. I'm disappointed as anyone to be honest. You would have expected us to be at least 3 points better off. Early days this season, and though I'm not sold on Ole necessarily...I just feel like there are a ton of circumstances he isn't in control of.

The wage bill is really feck all to do with him, the overall quality of the squad is feck all to do with him..yet. the players he has brought in are good...which is a start.

But we need to put a run together, quickly.
It will be the same old story, " Manager Sacked" but Woodward escapes and keeps his job.

Suvvernmanc

Not having enough quality in the team was so obvious before the start of the season. If Ole thought otherwise, he is the wrong man for the job.

I hope he succeeds, we all do but if we fail again this season it will be on him.

Matt007a

If OGS is the one driving our transfer policy then I think we should stick with him until the rebuild is nearly complete. We don’t want someone else coming in and wanting to change the policy again for the umpteenth time.

If the current policy goes beyond Solskjaer and is going to be carried forward even when he’s gone, then we don’t need to keep him if results are poor. We are not at that stage yet though I don’t think.