Solskjær’s Multi-Year Plan

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thought Ole played down the possibility of January transfers at some point this Summer?

Also, Pogba is almost certain to leave in 2020 in my opinion, particularly if we finish outside of top 4. That means we really should have two new midfielders. A DM and a creator. It's a big big rebuilding task.
With Matic possibly gone, Fred being useless, we'll need 3 midfielders

el3mel

With Matic possibly gone, Fred being useless, we'll need 3 midfielders
That's what I'm afraid about. Just like what we did this season selling Lukaku without signing a striker, we don't sign any midfielder and enter the season with Fred, Scott and Periera as our main lineup.:drool:

0le

Agree. They can't keep milking the club while it keeps failing like this for a long time. They'll have to sell at one point for the max profit and let the new owners solve all the problems of the team. Currently the team will need about 300m invested in it or so it even come close to City and Pool, especially when Pogba gets sold next season. No chance in hell the Glazers will attempt that. They have already decreased the budget of each summer to a 70m net spend last 2 seasons.

One or 2 more crap seasons and they'll sell. Maybe the next summer or the summer after next, who knows, but they won't last any longer. They milked everything possible from the club, and they won't be able to milk a failing brand forever. United will stay a successful brand while finishing 6th every year.
If United stay a successful brand who finish sixth, why would the Glazers consider selling? Would that not still make them a substantial amount of money?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's what I'm afraid about. Just like what we did this season selling Lukaku without signing a striker, we don't sign any midfielder and enter the season with Fred, Scott and Periera as our main lineup.:drool:
We badly one already in January. If we don't try correct this in the winter, there is no way we'll buy him 3 CMs next summer

el3mel

If United stay a successful brand who finish sixth, why would the Glazers consider selling? Would that not still make them a substantial amount of money?
:lol: I meant won't. Sorry. :D

Will Singh

Does anyone really think Pogba will be here next season?

After he's gone we will only have De Gea left who in the world class category and I'm not sure he will stay either. So what rebuild are you talking about when we should be concentrating on keeping our best players and not giving out silly contracts to players like Rashford who ain't done feck all to deserve one.

Ole is a yes sir so feck what he says.

Steerpike

I firmly believe they're currently in the midst of their exit strategy...

I think it's very likely that the club is actually up for sale right now.

They're investing minimally, we're hearing nothing from Woodward anymore, they've failed utterly as owners and the pressure is increasing on them.

The game is up for the Glazers.

5 years and they won't be here.
I'd be absolutely delighted if you were right, but I can't see why the Glazers would want to sell.

Manchester United is a very profitable business, and likely to remain so for many years to come. It's just easy money for the owners, and they have no reason that I know of to walk away.

mu4c_20le

Unless Fred is completely useless, CM is probably not that big of a priority. We need a winger for sure, and probably an old experienced striker. We'll probably get the latter in the January window.

Champagne Football

He's doing everything right? Everything?
Playing exciting football - Yes
Developing youth - Yes
Was he at fault because Newcastle and West Hame would not sell Rice or Longstaff - No

It was always gonna be a painful rebuild. But Ole has signed 3 players that have all slotted in right away. Greenwood and Garner will take time to develop but will get there.

Champagne Football

No top 4, no Maddison or Sancho. They're simply not going to bother with a club that is consistently outside the Top 4. There's a lot of baseless negativity on this forum, but truly, those players will have better options and will want more than what Utd are offering if they're not even in CL.
If Ole can make a game changer signing in January like Zaha or an up and coming box to box like McGinn, then perhaps we may have a chance to pinch 4th. With the current squad I can't see it unless Fred suddenly becomes world class.

If no Maddison and Sancho then we'll find other big names that fit the profile. Richarlison and Ruben Neves or something.

We have huge holes in the team. But Ole has us playing the right way, has us buying the right type of players, so he seems to be taking us in the right direction for the first time since Fergie quit. We can't judge him till he has made 2 more big signings.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The owners are never going to pay for 5-6 players in one window.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Its becoming obvious that this first half of the season is a shit test for our attacking players. He has removed the attacking players that had no chance of playing in a certain style, now he's assessing the likes of Lingard, Rashford, Martial, James etc to see if they're up to cut the mustard. The Glazers have copped stick for not reinvesting in the front line, but imagine they do and the likes of Rashford and Lingard keep getting away with these subpar performances? I think ole probably wanted a right midfielder and that was all the attacking players he wanted. Midfield is the same with McTominay. Give him a season to see whether we need to invest heavily or lightly before spending the cash.

Instead, he's thrown them in the deep end. Rashford can't hide at the moment, neither can Martial, or Lingard. The pressure is on and if they don't like it or can't handle it, they're going to get the arse.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He won't be here by Christmas. If he's still here, we will be facing a relegation battle. Relegation or a relegation battle would probably lead the Glazers to sell the club so such a horrible thing might actually be a good thing.

JohnnyKills

I firmly believe they're currently in the midst of their exit strategy...

I think it's very likely that the club is actually up for sale right now.

They're investing minimally, we're hearing nothing from Woodward anymore, they've failed utterly as owners and the pressure is increasing on them.

The game is up for the Glazers.

5 years and they won't be here.
Let's hope you're right

fallengt

Pogba, Matic will leave next year, leaving us a midfield of unproven players.
Good luck for any manager who wants to fix that, especially he'll have to work with Woodward.

Last edited:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The Solskjær plan. Redefine the game. The antipep, play football without midfielders. Formation 4 0 6

Seij

Phelan interim manager for the remainder of 19-20. Wait and see.
He'll then win a few games on rebound and get a full manager contract more lucrative than Klopp and Pochettino's contracts.

The board will leak a news about looking for a DOF and a few recently retired former United players will be linked then nothing will happen. We'll sign Sean Longstaff for 65M during summer after a long drawn out negotiation after which Woodward ends up paying Newcastle what they wanted in the first place.

POF

The mood around the club is staggering at the moment. Relegation battle? Sacked by Christmas?

Performances haven't been bad at all this season. The team played well enough to have won all 4 games. I just hope the negativity doesn't lead to players and senior figures at the club losing faith in this approach. The Southampton result was really disappointing but the European champions were a missed Ings sitter away from the same result last week.

Since Ole took over, he has lost the club's highest paid player, the club's all time most expensive forward, 2 midfielders who cost £55m combined, the most consistent defender at the club in 5 years and has signed 1 top defender and 2 promising kids. The United midfield is the poorest in talent I have ever seen at the club.

He's trying to rebuild a culture at the club after years of recruiting players with really poor character. He's clearing the decks and giving youngsters more chances. It's the right approach.

But playing such a young team means results will suffer. He's weakened the quality of a squad already lacking quality to reset the culture of the club. The club hierarchy and fans need to support him.

Foxbatt

He is not doing anything apart from selling players who are not good enough. But as a manager he needs to coach the players he has to play basic football. He has not done that either. He has not got a clue

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He said he will be successful so he will be back to Molde in January or June.

POF

He is not doing anything apart from selling players who are not good enough. But as a manager he needs to coach the players he has to play basic football. He has not done that either. He has not got a clue
You don't see a change in style of play this season? The way the team plays through the lines has improved so much this season. The James goal was a fantastic team goal.

There are some good signs there, better than you would expect with some pretty limited footballers in midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: Multi year plan. How about proving he should see our the whole of this season first?

amolbhatia50k

You don't see a change in style of play this season? The way the team plays through the lines has improved so much this season. The James goal was a fantastic team goal.

There are some good signs there, better than you would expect with some pretty limited footballers in midfield.
There's been no improvement this season. The only improvement I saw was in his first two games due to a new manager bump.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I could hopefully see something like this happening and as long as we get CL next season (somehow), I could see this being quite a positive rebuild.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: We aren’t even getting europa next season never mind champs league.

POF

There's been no improvement this season. The only improvement I saw was in his first two games due to a new manager bump.
I'm not talking about an overall "they are better than last year" improvement. I am talking about a new style of play and a marked improvement in how they play through the lines. That's not a new manager bounce. It's a style of play that is being coached and is showing promise. Early days but the signs are positive.

There's a definite plan to play into Mata or Pereira with their back to goal and use the running power of Pogba and McTominay (or Wan Bissaka/Young in wider areas) to come onto the ball and drive at the defence. It worked really well for the goal. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, the options taken in the final third from there are still pretty awful.

Treble

Longterm plan: doing a Milan.

I've always found it weird that a club like Milan might get so bad so quickly. They have a money problem but we're the glaring example that money alone do not guarantee success.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not talking about an overall "they are better than last year" improvement. I am talking about a new style of play and a marked improvement in how they play through the lines. That's not a new manager bounce. It's a style of play that is being coached and is showing promise. Early days but the signs are positive.

There's a definite plan to play into Mata or Pereira with their back to goal and use the running power of Pogba and McTominay (or Wan Bissaka/Young in wider areas) to come onto the ball and drive at the defence. It worked really well for the goal. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, the options taken in the final third from there are still pretty awful.
No I'm afraid I cannot see this marked new style of play and improvement in playing through the lines, nor are the signs so far promising. There's a difference in that we seem to be playing with a higher tempo and running more. But other than that there doesn't appear to be any imprint of top level coaching whatsoever. Ole is essentially doing what anyone who wants to go back to the good old days would do, but without evidently high level of managenent/coaching. I mean, I can also waltz into a club wanting to play like Pep or Klopp, but it doesn't mean squat without having actually quality to executive ideas (or indeed existence of good ideas).

POF

No I'm afraid I cannot see this marked new style of play and improvement in playing through the lines, nor are the signs so far promising. There's a difference in that we seem to be playing with a higher tempo and running more. But other than that there doesn't appear to be any imprint of top level coaching whatsoever. Ole is essentially doing what anyone who wants to go back to the good old days would do, but without evidently high level of managenent/coaching. I mean, I can also waltz into a club wanting to play like Pep or Klopp, but it doesn't mean squat without having actually quality to executive ideas (or indeed existence of good ideas).
Both Pep and Klopp had disappointing first seasons despite being heavily backed in the transfer market. Ole now has a worse squad than the one he inherited. Give the guy a chance before completely writing him off.

amolbhatia50k

Both Pep and Klopp had disappointing first seasons despite being heavily backed in the transfer market. Ole now has a worse squad than the one he inherited. Give the guy a chance before completely writing him off.
I am not completely writing him off. I am doubting that he's good enough though. He's been here for around 30 games already and unlike Pep and Klopp, his tactical imprint appears to be missing. He's got this season to do whatever he wants to, but I'm not positive at all. Even when results don't go swimmingly, you should be able to see the imprint of the manager taking hold (as was the case with Klopp). With Ole, I just can't see the excellence. Which isn't surprising given his lack of pedigree in management I suppose.

Stepney73

Agree. They can't keep milking the club while it keeps failing like this for a long time. They'll have to sell at one point for the max profit and let the new owners solve all the problems of the team. Currently the team will need about 300m invested in it or so it even come close to City and Pool, especially when Pogba gets sold next season. No chance in hell the Glazers will attempt that. They have already decreased the budget of each summer to a 70m net spend last 2 seasons.

One or 2 more crap seasons and they'll sell. Maybe the next summer or the summer after next, who knows, but they won't last any longer. They milked everything possible from the club, and they won't be able to milk a failing brand forever. United won't stay a successful brand while finishing 6th every year.

Spot on.

The clubs value will start to fall as the team is now mid table quality so the time for them to cash in is now.

All the good work and pain SAF did in 86-92 along with the success it bought us for nearly 2 decades has now been squandered by these parasites and we are more or less back where we started.

It's still going to take us 3-5 years to repair the damage the glazers have done to the club after they have gone.

Stepney73

He won't be here by Christmas. If he's still here, we will be facing a relegation battle. Relegation or a relegation battle would probably lead the Glazers to sell the club so such a horrible thing might actually be a good thing.

Well ole has shifted out quite a bit of deadwood already and if he manages to get the glazers out we should name a stand after him.

POF

I am not completely writing him off. I am doubting that he's good enough though. He's been here for around 30 games already and unlike Pep and Klopp, his tactical imprint appears to be missing. He's got this season to do whatever he wants to, but I'm not positive at all. Even when results don't go swimmingly, you should be able to see the imprint of the manager taking hold (as was the case with Klopp). With Ole, I just can't see the excellence. Which isn't surprising given his lack of pedigree in management I suppose.
It also isn't surprising given his players. His first choice midfield contains Scott McTominay, Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira/Dan James. That is the group of players (along with Pogba) responsible for implementing his style of play in midfield.

His only other options are Matic who regularly gets passed by stationary objects, Juan Mata who is a lovely guy but has the athleticism of a 6 year old girl and Fred who has been a £50m flop.

Poor Pep only inherited Fernandinho, Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva in midfield. I have no idea how he coped.

Ole is implememting a new style but his main aim this season is to re-establish a Manchester United culture in the playing group. Fergie always reiterated that a player's character was as important as his ability. I hope he's right because these players need a hell of a lot of character to make up for the lack of ability.

fps

If Ole can make a game changer signing in January like Zaha or an up and coming box to box like McGinn, then perhaps we may have a chance to pinch 4th. With the current squad I can't see it unless Fred suddenly becomes world class.

If no Maddison and Sancho then we'll find other big names that fit the profile. Richarlison and Ruben Neves or something.

We have huge holes in the team. But Ole has us playing the right way, has us buying the right type of players, so he seems to be taking us in the right direction for the first time since Fergie quit. We can't judge him till he has made 2 more big signings.
I agree there's progress being made, but the difference between those former and latter two players is startling. It will be another year of the arms race where other clubs stockpile the best talent. I truly hope he gets top 4 as I like him and what he's trying to do more than any of the previous 3 managers.