Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Still a lot of hatred towards Ole on here it seems. Bizarre. The guy bleeds United more than almost anyone else I can think of
I think it was more apathy rather than hatred towards Ole. For many it was pretty obvious he wasn't the one to take us back to the very top. Or do you think given more time and money we'd be fighting for the major titles?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think it was more apathy rather than hatred towards Ole. For many it was pretty obvious he wasn't the one to take us back to the very top. Or do you think given more time and money we'd be fighting for the major titles?
I think everyone has their views on it, but for me it's done and dusted now.

What I don't get is how bitter so many still seem to be about it. Good enough / not good enough. Success / failure. What is left after it all is that he was and is a thoroughly decent bloke who loves this club, and gave it everything. He deserves more respect.

b82REZ

I think a lot of it is something of a pushback to the rabid way that a lot of the pro Ole people defended what was viewed as a lot of bad stuff during Ole's tenure
It's exactly this. I believe I'm on record in this thread saying the same thing.

The sheer levels of sanctimony around the forums during his tenure were at unbearable levels. Any criticisms were piled in with the extreme views and for a very long period anyone with doubts would be hounded and it killed all reasonable debate.

With the cringey Whoop Whoop threads I'm not surprised there's been a lot of "I told you so" posts.

The new angle seems to be that anyone who comments on his time here is a "hater". I'll never hate Ole, even if he had relegated us. But I'm not so delusional that I can't separate the two entities of Ole and critique his time as player and manager separately.

There was an awful lot supping on copium during his time. The cries we were playing swashbuckling, attacking football always felt disingenuous and the less said about his recruitment and "cultural reboot" the better.

Now we have a manager that has a clear vision and there's obvious green shoots of progression. Something we never truly had, or more accurately, sustainably had, under Ole.

Will always be a legend in my eyes but we don't need to eulogise his managerial stint to elevate him beyond that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

What I don't get is how bitter so many still seem to be about it. Good enough / not good enough. Success / failure. What is left after it all is that he was and is a thoroughly decent bloke who loves this club, and gave it everything. He deserves more respect.
Yep echoes my thoughts.

Thought he should have been sacked 7-8 times over before he actually was, but I don't see what there is to hold against him at this point. Still a great player during the most successful period in our history, had some memorable moments as manager, and has shown the club and its fans a great amount of loyalty and respect. I can't think of a single thing he's done or said that would justify criticism of him as a person of the regard in which he holds the club.

One of the reasons I was annoyed we kept him on until we did (after the players had effectively given up), is that it damaged his reputation and hopes of landing another job by making him look worse than he actually was.

MegadrivePerson

I don;t think a different league would make any difference to his shortcomings. I just don't think he's cut out to be a successful manager at any club. He could be a good pundit.
Agree.
He doesn't have the right personality to be a top-level manager.
He'd be better off as a coach I think. He's clearly very dedicated and knowledgeable about the game but he'll never have that aura that Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola has to make it at the very top level. Compare the way Ten Hag has dealt with Ronaldo too vs Ole.

It still baffles me how he ever got the job in the first place.
His managerial career reads, United Reserves, Molde, Cardiff, Molde, United.

Whatever you think of Moyes, Rangnick, LVG or Mourinho, all of them had a managerial CV that gives you some basis as to why they got the job. Twenty years from now Solskjaer will have had the worst managerial career out of all of them.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Agree.
He doesn't have the right personality to be a top-level manager.
He'd be better off as a coach I think. He's clearly very dedicated and knowledgeable about the game but he'll never have that aura that Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola has to make it at the very top level. Compare the way Ten Hag has dealt with Ronaldo too vs Ole.

It still baffles me how he ever got the job in the first place.
His managerial career reads, United Reserves, Molde, Cardiff, Molde, United.

Whatever you think of Moyes, Rangnick, LVG or Mourinho, all of them had a managerial CV that gives you some basis as to why they got the job. Twenty years from now Solskjaer will have had the worst managerial career out of all of them.
I think Ten Hag is great so don't take this the wrong way, but your comment in bold makes no sense. The guy made Ronaldo captain mere weeks after he walked off before the end of a game. Its the only time he's put a foot wrong IMO, but that one was a doozy

AFC NimbleThumb

Still a lot of hatred towards Ole on here it seems. Bizarre. The guy bleeds United more than almost anyone else I can think of
It’s always illuminating the lines people draw & with whom. Literal mancunians getting hatred on this site daily & you’re upset about someone that bleeds United [whatever that means].

Did the criticism go too far at points? Probably but so does most criticism on here.

JohnnyKills

It’s always illuminating the lines people draw & with whom. Literal mancunians getting hatred on this site daily & you’re upset about someone that bleeds United [whatever that means].

Did the criticism go too far at points? Probably but so does most criticism on here.
What does being Mancunian have to do with it?

I ask as one myself.

Asger

So you dont see a difference between the 2?

Well early days. We are better defensively now but much worse in attack. I believe in ETH but so many games are just so boring similiar to when LVG was here!

Well early days. We are better defensively now but much worse in attack. I believe in ETH but so many games are just so boring similiar to when LVG was here!
ETHs defensive numbers are actually worse, with quite a big margin. But still early days.
Goals against ETHs United 1,19 per game. Under Solskjær it was 0,98 per game.

You are right about the attack, though. Solskjærs United avareaged 1,92 goals per game (best since Busby), ETH is at 1,69 goals per game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
ETHs defensive numbers are actually worse, with quite a big margin. But still early days.
Goals against ETHs United 1,19 per game. Under Solskjær it was 0,98 per game.

You are right about the attack, though. Solskjærs United avareaged 1,92 goals per game (best since Busby), ETH is at 1,69 goals per game.
The defense under ETH looks bad because of 3 outlier games.

AFC NimbleThumb

What does being Mancunian have to do with it?

I ask as one myself.
About as much as bleeding United has to do with it I’d say. Again, it’s illuminating which lines and with whom.

The poster says it’s weird the hate OgS gets because he bleeds United whilst this forum hate mancunians who support United & play for United. It doesn’t really get much closer to the club than that so I don’t see why OgS is so precious to some.

His tenure didn’t work out, he got over the top criticism in areas, as do most players & managers.

Roboc7

Hopefully he finds a job somewhere if that’s what he wants. I think he showed he was better than his CV suggested, never should have been anywhere near the Utd job of course but had more to offer than staying at Molde.

I was just always baffled by why people thought he had any chance of being a success or any hope of laying foundations for success. Whoever succeeded him was always going to have to rip it up and start again.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I agree, but this thread is about Ole

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We are so much better in attack, it is day and night! If we could take our chances, we would have scored tons of goals already

Greck

Come on. We've just played half the season with a starting striker headed to Saudi arabia. It's not the attack that's defective. Meanwhile ETH successfully navigated the same waters that saw Ole sacked. Judging by eye test it's not even a contest attacking wise. We had no attack under Ole, it was all improvisational. Something disgusting that's even still visible in our 19-21 highlights is the amount of "attacks" starting with a whopping 2-3 United players in the opponent's half. We never really wrestled for control of games like we attempt now.

Last edited:

wolvored

168 matches - that’s 252 hours, or 10 and a half days of footage.

Do we reckon he binge watched them over a couple of weeks or watched them like a weekly show? If the latter and he was watching an hour a week then he would only be on episode 52, with 200 episodes, or nearly 4 more years of episodes to go. What is this, Ertugrul? So I’m calling bullshit on that one.
He probably only watched the highlights. All 27 mins of it.

AlPistacho

If you pay a surgeon £2m and he operates on the wrong body part no matter how decent a bloke he is you’ll think negatively of him as surgeon at least.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not with a full strength team, which is half his own. We were boring under LVG no question, but we became an underdog team under Ole, and it showed when teams stood off us. It was the same laboured passing game we saw under LVG. I'm not sure Ole knew what he wanted. He said some things he contradicted with his decision making for sure.

Someone

Something
I love Ole, and I think he could've made a good manager, but like many top players he didn't earn managing a top club, and ended up paying the price. Whether it's Ole, Gerrard or Lampard, I don't understand what stopped them from getting a coaching gig with top managers to learn and develop first.

One thing we know for sure, he loved the club, he tried his best, and he doesn't deserve any disrespect. He was given a chance of a lifetime and most of us would've taken it too. The blame lies with those who hired him.

No hatred, seems an absolutely lovely bloke who adores Manchester United.
I will speak out though when some try to spin his time as manager as anything other than a massive waste of time & money.

Robbie Boy

It's exactly this. I believe I'm on record in this thread saying the same thing.

The sheer levels of sanctimony around the forums during his tenure were at unbearable levels. Any criticisms were piled in with the extreme views and for a very long period anyone with doubts would be hounded and it killed all reasonable debate.

With the cringey Whoop Whoop threads I'm not surprised there's been a lot of "I told you so" posts.

The new angle seems to be that anyone who comments on his time here is a "hater". I'll never hate Ole, even if he had relegated us. But I'm not so delusional that I can't separate the two entities of Ole and critique his time as player and manager separately.

There was an awful lot supping on copium during his time. The cries we were playing swashbuckling, attacking football always felt disingenuous and the less said about his recruitment and "cultural reboot" the better.

Now we have a manager that has a clear vision and there's obvious green shoots of progression. Something we never truly had, or more accurately, sustainably had, under Ole.

Will always be a legend in my eyes but we don't need to eulogise his managerial stint to elevate him beyond that.
Spot on.

It's never been about Ole; just a handful of his weirdo, insufferable fans. Ultimately, Ole the player is an absolute legend in my eyes. Ole the manager was a bluffer, who I never enjoyed listening to.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Spot on.
It's never been about Ole; just a handful of his weirdo, insufferable fans. Ultimately, Ole the player is an absolute legend in my eyes. Ole the manager was a bluffer, who I never enjoyed listening to.
Exactly. He took Glazer money to run a commercial first football club. He did a great deal of harm, though not necessarily on purpose.

Chairman Steve

Solskjaer the manager is one of the weirdest phenomenons in football manager history. Punched WAY above his weight at times, yet at the same time seemed so limited and lacking. A comfortable win seemed like a rareity under him. A lot of wins felt like they were on a knife edge until the final whistle.

He rated Fred and McTominay as a good midfield too… compare that to ETH saying ‘feck that’ with Eriksen and Casemiro being bought within weeks of joining, resulting in us looking like a much more cohesive team, and not a team of talented individuals.

And the less said about him buying and using Maguire and AWB all the time, the better.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Love Ole, for all his faults as a manager he gave us great moments at the helm. Had Pep's number and bleeds red.

In hindsight his downfall started when Ronaldo came back, no one ever gives him credit for coming 2nd the season before either.

He's United through and through, one of us, so just let it go and look to the future with ETH.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Now put some of what you said, multiply it by two and we're going into Rangnick territory. The fact that this guy appears to be more revered on here than Solskjaer is a disgrace despite being twice as bad.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Love Ole, for all his faults as a manager he gave us great moments at the helm. Had Pep's number and bleeds red.

In hindsight his downfall started when Ronaldo came back, no one ever gives him credit for coming 2nd the season before either.

He's United through and through, one of us, so just let it go and look to the future with ETH.
He doesn’t deserve credit for 2nd place because he didn’t win anything. As a United manager, you need to win or your a failure, it’s as simple as that. You were favourites in the Europa league and messed it up and his 2nd placed finish was worse than Jose’s 2nd placed finish and achieved with a measly points total that would have been 4th place in the following season. But for sure, great guy so it’s ok.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He doesn’t deserve credit for 2nd place because he didn’t win anything. As a United manager, you need to win or your a failure, it’s as simple as that. You were favourites in the Europa league and messed it up and his 2nd placed finish was worse than Jose’s 2nd placed finish and achieved with a measly points total that would have been 4th place in the following season. But for sure, great guy so it’s ok.
That's like saying half of SAF's prem titles don't count cos we'd have finished miles behind City over the last five or six years:houllier:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We mustn't forget the conditions that brought Ole here. It was prior to a time when Mou wanted out and was making it obvious by pretty much shitting on everyone (basically a steroid version of what Ronaldo did) to get himself sacked and pick up his severance pay. Ole did what Ole does best (in fact even Keano love the guy). He raised morale and he rallied the troops. The results of that were quite evident

However he lacked the experience, the know how and quite frankly the character to become a permanent manager at a club like Manchester United. That was evident by the way training was being conducted, the people he hired as his backroom staff, the signings made and the tactics. The club should have chosen a better permanent manager with Ole being offered a board member role similar to what many ex players have or had at other clubs. Instead we stuck to him and the result of that was devastating both for his career and our team.

Foxbatt

That's like saying half of SAF's prem titles don't count cos we'd have finished miles behind City over the last five or six years:houllier:
He did win those while Ole didn't. I don't count Jose's 2nd position finish any higher than anyone else's. But Jose and LVG won trophies. Ole and Moyes didn't.

Jippy

Staff
He did win those while Ole didn't. I don't count Jose's 2nd position finish any higher than anyone else's. But Jose and LVG won trophies. Ole and Moyes didn't.
It's fine to not celebrate a 2nd position, but to try and demean it further through a specious comparison is weird agenda posting.

Amir

Basically, like talking to a Ronaldo fan.

Amir

It's fine to not celebrate a 2nd position, but to try and demean it further through a specious comparison is weird agenda posting.
2nd place was fine. The problem was some people tried to picture it as some sort of progress, when in truth United's football did not progress at all and we benefitted from Liverpool's injury problems.

Jippy

Staff
2nd place was fine. The problem was some people tried to picture it as some sort of progress, when in truth United's football did not progress at all and we benefitted from Liverpool's injury problems.
From memory he admitted that though, but then got slagged off for it.

Anyway, I've no idea why I ventured into this thread, I was just baffled that it's still going strong.

Karlos PFC

Now put some of what you said, multiply it by two and we're going into Rangnick territory. The fact that this guy appears to be more revered on here than Solskjaer is a disgrace despite being twice as bad.
I don't think that Rangnick is more revered than Ole around here, but my two cents on the topic.

First, Ralf is considered a somewhat good at tactics (if you ask Klopp or Tuchel that is) while Ole runs on passion-nicknames-nostalgia-in my time we used to something.

And two let's not forget the state of the team when Ralf came and the toxicity that was set in like when Ole came after Mou, with players not wanting to fecking run (Rashford, Martial...), players not performing (Bruno, Lump...) or players choosing which game they'd play(Cavani, Ronaldo). All in all broken squad. Sure Ralf wasn't a good fit, but I think he wasn't a good fit for this particular side, thinking they were better than what they actually were.