Son Heung-min

iHicksy

Actually, it’s not rubbish. Those numbers are great, but he’s a hugely streaky player. He goes on long runs of scoring once or twice a game, before having dry spells. He’s much less consistent than say Kane who spreads his goals across a season pretty well.

He also has a habit of being either fantastic or peripheral, there’s no in between. Those numbers are good, but should be better considering what we know he’s capable of.
Fair enough. I must admit I only know him from high-lights and fantasy football points, where he does me proud. So, what's the opinion on Lucas in comparison? Every time I see him come on for spurs he seems to play with more drive than the other forwards and seems to have a great shot on him and is able to make that small amount of space to get a shot in. Is he also massively streaky and it's a case of sheer dumb luck who turns up for spurs at the moment?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I don't understand why we haven't gone for him. Unlike Kane he'd be attainable and we'd offer him way more.
Son is not that attainable, though — current contract expires in the summer of 2023 so you'd expect Levy to demand £100 million+ (that is if he can be miraculously persuaded to sell). At the risk of sounding stereotypical on the basis of shared ethnicity, Hwang Hee-chan (who's 4 years younger than Son) would be much more realistic and a good addition to the United squad — not much between him and Son for South Korean players on the basis of current displays or performances at the World Cup, and he's giving a good account of himself at Salzburg: consistently lively, versatile, 6 goal involvements in the Champions League thus far, though sometimes in the shadow of Håland...who's in the middle of an exceptional purple patch. Signing Hee-chan would essentially be like signing Son from Leverkusen, and molding him into an even better, and more efficient/consistent, player — instead of buying the finished product (or close to it) for an outrageous fee.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fair enough. I must admit I only know him from high-lights and fantasy football points, where he does me proud. So, what's the opinion on Lucas in comparison? Every time I see him come on for spurs he seems to play with more drive than the other forwards and seems to have a great shot on him and is able to make that small amount of space to get a shot in. Is he also massively streaky and it's a case of sheer dumb luck who turns up for spurs at the moment?
Lucas is very much an impact player off the bench, and capable of moments/quality games but yeah again, massively inconsistent. Way more so than Son.

I have sympathy for him because Poch is reluctant to give him a long run in the team. But also a lot of the time when he starts he does nothing, so..

Kane is our bonafide world class player. He has bad games but he will deliver throughout a season. Son is borderline, can be magical on his day and is lethal in games on the break, and he can have periods where he’s our most important player.

Lucas is a good player to have in the squad, but that one ridiculous game against Ajax has misled people a bit. Though again, I do stress that I think Poch has been harsh on him.

Alabaster Codify7

I would give a testicle to have a player like Heung-Min Son at Old Trafford. Son is a wonderful player who makes such a huge contribution that none of our attackers can even have a wet dream about. If Rashford is worth £200k a week, Son should be on £400k a week and being linked to Barcelona for £100m+.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sorry, that's rubbish. He's spurs most consistent player in attack after Kane. His PL stats.

2016/2017 - Minutes 2063 Goals: 14 Assists: 9
2017/2018 - Minutes: 2292 Goals: 12 Assists: 8
2018/2019 - Minutes: 2033 Goals: 12 Assists: 8

Averages a goal every 2 games and provides a decent amount of assists. We'd kill for an attacker putting up those numbers.
From official PL site:
2016/2017 - Minutes 2063 Goals: 14 Assists: 6 - 103 mins per G+A
2017/2018 - Minutes: 2292 Goals: 12 Assists: 6 - 127 mins per G+A
2018/2019 - Minutes: 2033 Goals: 12 Assists: 6 - 112 mins per G+A

roonster09

Scout
I would give a testicle to have a player like Heung-Min Son at Old Trafford. Son is a wonderful player who makes such a huge contribution that none of our attackers can even have a wet dream about. If Rashford is worth £200k a week, Son should be on £400k a week and being linked to Barcelona for £100m+.
Martial has similar record to Son.

roonster09

Scout
Actually, it’s not rubbish. Those numbers are great, but he’s a hugely streaky player. He goes on long runs of scoring once or twice a game, before having dry spells. He’s much less consistent than say Kane who spreads his goals across a season pretty well.

He also has a habit of being either fantastic or peripheral, there’s no in between. Those numbers are good, but should be better considering what we know he’s capable of.
Yeah, last season he scored 6 goals in december and 7 goals from Dec 5th to Jan 1st. Ended up with 12 goals. So he had superb 25 days and rest of the season he scored just 5 goals.

His CL performance was very good, so his poor numbers in league didn't matter much.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, last season he scored 6 goals in december and 7 goals from Dec 5th to Jan 1st. Ended up with 12 goals. So he had superb 25 days and rest of the season he scored just 5 goals.

His CL performance was very good, so his poor numbers in league didn't matter much.

Yeah, that’s why he gets overrated on here. Those two games vs City in the CL in particular overshadow what is a very good, but not quite great player. You get plenty saying they’d prefer him to Kane despite imo clearly being a step behind him.

Not that he isn’t really good or anything. He’d start for any side in the league aside from City and Liverpool. But he needs to up his consistency significantly if he wants to be a top tier attacker.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Son is not that attainable, though — current contract expires in the summer of 2023 so you'd expect Levy to demand £100 million+ (that is if he can be miraculously persuaded to sell). At the risk of sounding stereotypical on the basis of shared ethnicity, Hwang Hee-chan (who's 4 years younger than Son) would be much more realistic and a good addition to the United squad — not much between him and Son for South Korean players on the basis of current displays or performances at the World Cup, and he's giving a good account of himself at Salzburg: consistently lively, versatile, 6 goal involvements in the Champions League thus far, though sometimes in the shadow of Håland...who's in the middle of an exceptional purple patch. Signing Hee-chan would essentially be like signing Son from Leverkusen, and molding him into an even better, and more efficient/consistent, player — instead of buying the finished product (or close to it) for an outrageous fee.
+1 for Hwang Hee-Chan.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’d spend £150m on Son before I spent £100m on Kane.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Remember, before casting too much negative judgement on his form, that Son has been playing in multiple in-season international competitions for years now in order to try and get his military reprieve. Hard to be consistent when you're jitting in and out of teams all season.

We offered him a long contract at a point where he could have been spending most of it in the military, so it wouldn't surprise me if he felt like he owed the club he same loyalty. He seems the same as harry, professionally.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I’d spend £150m on Son before I spent £100m on Kane.
The rating of Son above Kane on here is so odd.

I generally put it down to the fact he's a bit easier on the eye and everyone loves someone who has a bit of pace. But Kane is just .. better.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The rating of Son above Kane on here is so odd.

I generally put it down to the fact he's a bit easier on the eye and everyone loves someone who has a bit of pace. But Kane is just .. better.

I find that on here as well, someone wastes some time with some step overs into a flip flop and redcafe is 'sign him up'. Give me a RVN any day. Put the ball in the back of the net, nothing fancy, job done.

thepolice123

I find that on here as well, someone wastes some time with some step overs into a flip flop and redcafe is 'sign him up'. Give me a RVN any day. Put the ball in the back of the net, nothing fancy, job done.
The funny thing about this sentence is that Son is exactly that type of player. If you observe his game he is not a "flair" player. He is very direct and incisive in his play. He is always running and looking for space to attack. If he cuts in he will 100% take that shot from anywhere outside or inside the box. His two-footedness means that he is a real threat if you give him the space.

Either Kane or Son would improve us massively IMO. They are both superb players.

He'sRaldo

Great goal. A talent develop by Pochettino. Under different managements his future would have been much different
He always had high potential in Hamburg and Leverkusen. Played at those high levels from a very young age. I always liked him, very similar to Mane IMO.

Interestingly they were both coached by Roger Schmidt under his crazy attacking 4-2-4 philosophy.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Great goal. A talent develop by Pochettino. Under different managements his future would have been much different
Christ, there should be a script in place that prevents you from referencing Pochettino in threads that are not about him.

He had already played 5 years in the Bundesliga and assembled close to 50 national team apps before he came to Tottenham and magic Poch. Yes he stepped up another level but its a bold claim to make it all about him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guy was signed for €30m in 2015(a lot of money by then, especially for german clubs), after coming off 3 seasons as one of the best players in the bundesliga. He was a record signing for leverkusen

But sure, it's all Pochettino

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He always had high potential in Hamburg and Leverkusen. Played at those high levels from a very young age. I always liked him, very similar to Mane IMO.

Interestingly they were both coached by Roger Schmidt under his crazy attacking 4-2-4 philosophy.
not high enough for the big teams at that time to show interest.

Christ, there should be a script in place that prevents you from referencing Pochettino in threads that are not about him.

He had already played 5 years in the Bundesliga and assembled close to 50 national team apps before he came to Tottenham and magic Poch. Yes he stepped up another level but its a bold claim to make it all about him.
There are many players who has 50 caps for nationals team, but that doesn’t make them all noteworthy. Look at Haller who was one of Bundesliga best striker before joining West Ham. Now he looks average in this league. Same can be said of a lot of players. The step up of level is due to Pochettino philosophy. Without his mentor ship, his career would not follow the same trajectory. There was even rumors that Son would quit Spurs if a Poch left because he had a deep connection with him.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/couple...s/news-story/b42d1f4a5cac053a5dd8557d314c9e16

PyroMan

A lot of teams did not want to take a risk due to the issue of mandatory military service which Son may have had to serve.

He'sRaldo

There are many players who has 50 caps for nationals team, but that doesn’t make them all noteworthy. Look at Haller who was one of Bundesliga best striker before joining West Ham. Now he looks average in this league. Same can be said of a lot of players. The step up of level is due to Pochettino philosophy. Without his mentor ship, his career would not follow the same trajectory. There was even rumors that Son would quit Spurs if a Poch left because he had a deep connection with him.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/couple...s/news-story/b42d1f4a5cac053a5dd8557d314c9e16
If I'm being honest I think Poch may have held him back a little, he wasn't as valuable to him in the beginning as Lamela, Dele, Kane, and Eriksen. He had to perform very well consistently to get a look in, and still, Poch would prefer those 4.

It's only in recent years he's been finding himself in the starting lineup with Lamela's injuries and decline. At least that's how I remember it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If I'm being honest I think Poch may have held him back a little, he wasn't as valuable to him in the beginning as Lamela, Dele, Kane, and Eriksen. He had to perform very well consistently to get a look in, and still, Poch would prefer those 4.

It's only in recent years he's been finding himself in the starting lineup with Lamela's injuries and decline. At least that's how I remember it.
Not recently, in the 16/17 season he began to mature and Poch even praised him for that bc of his tough love. Without it Son would not be the same player he is today.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Some posters need to give their head a wobble, Son is pretty much Spurs best player. He is a big game performer and gives 100% in every match, unlike the majority of our squad.

I would throw a deal worth £100m at him easy.
Said it once ill say it again. What a player. Desperate to sign him in the summer, more so than Sancho.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Said it once ill say it again. What a player. Desperate to sign him in the summer, more so than Sancho.
Won’t happen this summer anyway, he is a Jose player would take a massive fee to even make it happen and as he isn’t under a decent contract I can’t seeing him leaving.

galwayfa

He's better than Sancho at the minute, he would cost about 120m though

VJ1762

Sonaldo!! Been a fan of this guy for a long time. I really want Woodward to get Park on the phone and tell him to convince Son to join us.

RUCK4444

Love this player, when on form he is unplayable.

Type of player that would be a huge hit and a fan favourite at United imo.

Imagine him on the break with our current forwards, frightening

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sonaldo!! Been a fan of this guy for a long time. I really want Woodward to get Park on the phone and tell him to convince Son to join us.
Park was at the match yesterday helping present Son with the Asian Player of the Year award.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Son was never a "first 11" player under Pochettino. He's averaged around 24 league starts per season with us, which is heavily weighed against the fact that he was used as a backup to Kane, and got more chances with the amount of games Kane missed in recent seasons.

He was very often the player that would be playing great, but would still always seem to start on the bench behind the likes of Kane, Lamela, Eriksen and Dele.

If anything has changed him in his development, I think it's the national team. He started to lose opportunities to get around national service, and seemed to really step up his determination and aggression when (literally) going for gold. He was always an excellent ball-player, but in earlier seasons with us he would be very Eriksen-like; that is, ducking out of tackles and showing no bravery/effort in 50/50s where he would otherwise get the ball.

In my opinion, Son of 17/18 wouldn't have scored that goal yesterday, as I believe he'd have flinched out of a couple of the dribbles where he had to knock it past their defenders.

Mourinho seems to love him, and there's a very good chance he'll flourish under him, and probably end up as his talisman.