Sorry, but why is Rashford rated here? (Read the context)

Roane

Rashford is a talent. No doubt.

However the excuses for him in tonight's game don't compute with me. He was woeful and should have been on the bench imo.

What I saw tonight was what I have noticed in him in a few games, disinterested.

At one point in extra time, other examples too big this one sticks in my mind. He was on the left on our half watching their players pass the ball around him. Cavani ran back into our own 18 yard box. Won the ball then ran to the other end to pressure their keeper then ran back to our own half to defend. Rashford was on the half way line watching, strolling.

This isn't on. And he did this most of the game. And in many matches towards the end of the season. That is not acceptable.

Silas

Did anyone just hear his interview on BT? HE spoke passionately about the club, it was a good interview and restores a little of my faith in him, it shows he cares a little....just want to see him show this on the pitch
Well, he is a fan. It's to be expected. Irrelevant to his performances though.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He’s been playing through injury all of the season ffs. Great player when fit and in form. I think he needs a rest and will come back Stronger than ever. And he’s a great footballer, thats why I rate him anyway. This season’s been a bit off, but Im sure there are reasons to that.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I don’t think Rashford is in decline nor is he overrated. He deservedly gets a lot of plaudits for the crucial goals he gets to score for us.
For me I just don’t like the Ronaldo clone he is trying to become. I’d rather have him playing RW running at his man and whipping in crosses than that LW he is believe to be better at because he scores from there.
Im just sick of our over reliance on individual magic to team contribution.
that is the main obstacle i see, imitating Ronaldo. There is nothing wrong with trying to implement from the legends of the game but it should be an addition to your own identity, which to me is lacking here.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Would be interested to see what the rest of Europe think about him.

I'd say "extremely wasteful trickster with braindead decision-making" would be a common opinion.

Welbeckham

you can even argue that Greenwoods trajectory is higher then Rashford at his age. Greenwood at age 19 played 65 PL games with 17 goals.Rasford scored a total of 17 goals in his 4th season, (in comparison to) Greenwood who scored 17 goals in total in his first full season.
I was talking about this season, but yes, Mason is currently the better and more effective footballer by some distance.

RORY65

His decline in form cannot be compared to Martial's, he's still contributed a hell of a lot of goals and assists and has played despite clearly not being right physically to help the team. He's a terrific talent, albeit not quite the finished article, and even this season there have been positive signs of progress (there was a spell where he was beating players more easily without having to rely on pace for instance) however his form of late has definitely been bad and it's a failure of squad building and to some extent management that he's still being relied upon because there's no one else who is trusted to come in and perform instead of him.

I can't understand much of the criticism he gets, his form can be questioned for sure but we've got a gem of a player here who we're running into the ground due to the shortcomings of people above him.

LazyRed-Ninja

Rashford is a talent. No doubt.

However the excuses for him in tonight's game don't compute with me. He was woeful and should have been on the bench imo.

What I saw tonight was what I have noticed in him in a few games, disinterested.

At one point in extra time, other examples too big this one sticks in my mind. He was on the left on our half watching their players pass the ball around him. Cavani ran back into our own 18 yard box. Won the ball then ran to the other end to pressure their keeper then ran back to our own half to defend. Rashford was on the half way line watching, strolling.

This isn't on. And he did this most of the game. And in many matches towards the end of the season. That is not acceptable.
he either as many have said played through an injury or he couldn’t mentally step up during a legacy game for the club. Just remember the likes of young Rooney and Ronaldo when a ball didnt go their way they would visibly show their frustration(s). Yes we can not compare Rashford to those players but from what I can see is that he more often then not just seems ‘calm’ after a failed attempt.

sure showing signs of frustrations is not a criteria for being a world class player but you’d like for your top player to show signs of frustrations every now and then as a token of them carrying about their game and the overall game.

RedIan

Playing carrying injuries, you can see it written all over his face he did not look happy Tonight.

hes a talent but needs to be 100% fit.. silly to write him off.

acnumber9

He’s rated throughout football. If he went on the market tomorrow everybody who could afford him would be after him.

Murray3007

actually think most of our squad are like Rashford, produce moments of magic rather then a all game performance, especially all our forward players, our midfield struggle to control a game and our defence is well pretty poor.

MattofManchester

Nobody knows what is wrong with Marcus. For one, he's looked like a man hating football all season, so I imagine there is something wrong, whether injury or otherwise.
He's had a bad season, but now is generally the time to support him. He's also 23.

Martial is 25 and has had many more opportunities and failed to take them. I'm not sure why people keep making these comparisons.
Marcus was always an improving player up till his injury. Anthony looks the exact same player who joined us at 18.

LazyRed-Ninja

He’s rated throughout football. If he went on the market tomorrow everybody who could afford him would be after him.

I’m just genuinely wondering when the label talent cant be used anymore for a player. Is Rashford a talent, class or world class? Id argue he isn’t the latter, but it would be irrational to say he cant become world-class. Having the potential to become world class however is a different story, that depends on the actual talent, determination and also mental toughness.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

he either as many have said played through an injury or he couldn’t mentally step up during a legacy game for the club. Just remember the likes of young Rooney and Ronaldo when a ball didnt go their way they would visibly show their frustration(s). Yes we can not compare Rashford to those players but from what I can see is that he more often then not just seems ‘calm’ after a failed attempt.

sure showing signs of frustrations is not a criteria for being a world class player but you’d like for your top player to show signs of frustrations every now and then as a token of them carrying about their game and the overall game.
So you don't think he's a top player because he doesn't throw a strop after every miss like Ronaldo?

0le

He doesn't have this injury, load of rubbish, it's something people on here are making up for an excuse for his shoddy performances.
Honestly you should go away and really think hard about what you have just said. Something similar was said with Pogba with fans believing he was "faking it". He has had forms of a shoulder injury and ankle injuries with have led to stop start performances.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...nchester-united-rashford-injury-news-20197003
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-marcus-rashford-injury-20412929

The conspiracy theories need to stop. If you don't think he is a talented player then that is one thing but just stop talking absolute bollocks that he doesn't have an injury(s).

Womp

idiot
actually think most of our squad are like Rashford, produce moments of magic rather then a all game performance, especially all our forward players, our midfield struggle to control a game and our defence is well pretty poor.
Yep, because we have a terrible (or no?) system in place. The individuals are the system. Give the ball to our best players, have very limited movement around them, always take one or two touches before passing, allowing opposition defences to switch over etc. He's nothing more than a counter attacking coach, it's no surprise he's played the majority of this season with Fred and MCT as our two CM's.

wr8_utd

:'(
If he really is carrying niggles then completely stop playing him for a while. Even if we signed Sancho, Ole would find a way to start Rashford and then we'll have his poor performances explained away by injury yet again.

LazyRed-Ninja

So you don't think he's a top player because he doesn't throw a strop after every miss like Ronaldo?
talent, class and world class, my opinion is that he is a class player, but definitely not world class in my opinion.

Many talents don’t make it because of lack of mentality, work-rate etc. Many talents make it because of their hard work and talent. Many class player don’t become word class for the same reason(s) and vice versa. Time will tell what legacy Rasford will have at United.

Also, I did mention that showing frustration(s) isn’t a criteria though.

BarstoolProphet

He's an extremely good player considering he has been carrying an injury for the past seven years.

Roane

I wasn't talking about frustration mate. And I don't even hold the miss against him, chit happens to the best if the best and it's not right to go on about it when we lose.

My issue is the disinterest, as that what appears to be going on and few people on different formats have commented on it.

I still put it more on ole than rashford if the injury but is as bad as some suggest. However demeanor and showing some gumption is on the player. I don't even expect Cavani levels. I mean I thought Bruno was poor yet again tonight, bug I can't knock his effort. Running deep to get the ball. Making little runs and harrassing the opposition.

As I said I saw Rashy just standing around and not doing much. That is not acceptable for me.

SAFMUTD

It he's really injured then let him recover FFS, playing him to the ground only ends up with us having to manage this kind of performances from him.

acnumber9

I’m just genuinely wondering when the label talent cant be used anymore for a player. Is Rashford a talent, class or world class? Id argue he isn’t the latter, but it would be irrational to say he cant become world-class. Having the potential to become world class however is a different story, that depends of the actual talent, determination and also mental toughness.
He’s 23. He’s got plenty of time and he’d benefit greatly from not being run into the ground.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If he really is carrying niggles then completely stop playing him for a while. Even if we signed Sancho, Ole would find a way to start Rashford and then we'll have his poor performances explained away by injury yet again.
I just look at games like Sociedad at home. 4-0 up. Rashford should be completely rested, relaxing at home or getting treatment. But he played 45 minutes in a season where we had 2 midweeks off all season long. Poor.

LazyRed-Ninja

I wasn't talking about frustration mate. And I don't even hold the miss against him, chit happens to the best if the best and it's not right to go on about it when we lose.

My issue is the disinterest, as that what appears to be going on and few people on different formats have commented on it.

I still put it more on ole than rashford if the injury but is as bad as some suggest. However demeanor and showing some gumption is on the player. I don't even expect Cavani levels. I mean I thought Bruno was poor yet again tonight, bug I can't knock his effort. Running deep to get the ball. Making little runs and harrassing the opposition.

As I said I saw Rashy just standing around and not doing much. That is not acceptable for me.
we are on the same page here. To conclude this, id say Rasford is a talented player who has showed class, but lacks the performances and statistics to label him as world-class.

Rashford only has 1 season where he scored more then 12 league goals and that was last season in a total of 6 seasons. Yes i’d agree that we couldnt expect him to score big numbers in his younger years, but he is entering his 7th season at United and there is still a debate going on wether he will turn out to be world class.

Roane

It he's really injured then let him recover FFS, playing him to the ground only ends up with us having to manage this kind of performances from him.
As I said mate, and professional players say this. Resting a player doesn't mean missing games completely. 69 minutes and off is a big rest for footballers.

If he and lindeloff )who gets no backing even though it's been confirmed he has been playing with an injury) have been so injured that it's affecting their game to the point we are dropping points or losing matches then why have we not seen other players being getting minutes? Surely a fully fit player like Amad or even a n other player is better than a not fit player who you maybe damaging career wise

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sorry but I don't buy it. Cavani showed much bigger desire and sacrifice today (and on many other occasions) than Rashford. A bit tired of PR bs like this.

Walk the talk.
PR BS :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Give over mate :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Captain conspiracy theory over here!

Rashford gives an impassioned speech about desire of the club and how the rest of the players feel.

CAF: Nah don’t buy that b*llocks. It’s all PR bull crap that!

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Rashford texted his PR before the interview and asked how best to come across on TV after a loss.

Great one.

LazyRed-Ninja

He’s 23. He’s got plenty of time and he’d benefit greatly from not being run into the ground.
that could become a worrying thing wouldn’t you think? He turns 24 in a couple of months and he’ll enter his 7th season as a professional player for Manchester United. 169 games at age 23 is a remarkable stat, but considering the weight of his injuries that might impact him in the long term.

mu4c_20le

talent, class and world class, my opinion is that he is a class player, but definitely not world class in my opinion.

Many talents don’t make it because of lack of mentality, work-rate etc. Many talents make it because of their hard work and talent. Many class player don’t become word class for the same reason(s) and vice versa. Time will tell what legacy Rasford will have at United.

Also, I did mention that showing frustration(s) isn’t a criteria though.
He hasn't been consistent enough to be world class yet. Though I would argue that he had shown signs of it before that back injury. I think he has the mentality easily, but what's not so easy is carrying this team so often at such a young age.

SAFMUTD

As I said mate, and professional players say this. Resting a player doesn't mean missing games completely. 69 minutes and off is a big rest for footballers.

If he and lindeloff )who gets no backing even though it's been confirmed he has been playing with an injury) have been so injured that it's affecting their game to the point we are dropping points or losing matches then why have we not seen other players being getting minutes? Surely a fully fit player like Amad or even a n other player is better than a not fit player who you maybe damaging career wise
totally agree, but hey with the euro comming and Ole being unable to sub Rashford because his religion or something I dont think we'll see a "fit" Rashford soon.

RepardReece

Honestly you should go away and really think hard about what you have just said. Something similar was said with Pogba with fans believing he was "faking it". He has had forms of a shoulder injury and ankle injuries with have led to stop start performances.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...nchester-united-rashford-injury-news-20197003
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-marcus-rashford-injury-20412929

The conspiracy theories need to stop. If you don't think he is a talented player then that is one thing but just stop talking absolute bollocks that he doesn't have an injury(s).
If he does have one ongoing, then he's stupid for playing through it, and the medical staff should also be sacked for allowing it, he's only damaging himself and his own career, as well as hurting the teams performances.

Honestly this injury sounds like a child in the under 11s team for their local village saying they hurt their knee or whatever because they played like crap.

Either way, he's letting the team down massively, with an injury, then he shouldn't be playing. Without an injury, his work rate is atrocious.

Marwood

I just look at games like Sociedad at home. 4-0 up. Rashford should be completely rested, relaxing at home or getting treatment. But he played 45 minutes in a season where we had 2 midweeks off all season long. Poor.
Are those 45 mins making such a difference though? Would it change his form by not playing them.

I really liked his post match interview but I'd love an interviewer to ask him " what's going on with your form?"

I've no idea. Everything that made him seems to have slipped away. I don't buy the injury reasoning.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't rate Rashford anywhere near as high as most of his fanboys BUT it's clear he's been playing on fumes for months, not weeks or days. Either that or he thinks he's the dog's bollocks but it's clear he's spent physically. From that point of view, I have sympathy for him because he's been awfully mismanaged.

HOWEVER. If Martial and Pogba had the games he's had as of late (by that I mean most of this season), they'd be slated to eternity. The double standards are pretty astounding.

Finally, coming out after the game and asking for sympathy or understanding is a joke. You don't get to earn the money you earn and perform so poorly for so long (and get away with it) to then come out crying when your poor performance catches up to you. Racial slurs are unacceptable but valid criticism is the least he should expect.

If we get a new manager, Rashford may find himself as the new Hudson Odoi and be nothing more than a sub.