South Africa vs India

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mate are you delusional or making things up? The lot of batsmen you named there didn't even play together all of the time. Plus, in Kallis' first 3-4 years he was not performing anywhere close to the standards he's done ever since. In fact, I clearly recall people asking why we are persisting with him. And yes, I do remember SA getting battered in England, Australia, feck sake, even in India and Sri Lanka. So don't talk out of your arse mate. To top it all off, we've a poor record in Australia but as far as I know Kallis has the best record of SA batsmen down under.
Who said they played together all the time? Did I say they started and ended their careers together? Yes, I'm the one whose 'talking out of his arse'. :lol:

You're South African right? Or you support the South African cricket team? So surely you have the presence of mind to know that we all don't follow your cricket team as closely as you have, the same way you wouldn't follow the Indian team. So instead of getting so wound up, why not give well put facts on the table rather than throwing a semi fit? As far as I can remember, and obviously I don't watch SA as closely as their own countrymen do (it goes without saying but you seem to be taking so much offense to the fact that I don't!), I can't think of SA ever coming to India and getting the kind of pastings we used to get when we went to SA and AUS in those days. If you have facts to prove otherwise then good on you and us for being able to do that, but I can't remember it happening.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Thrilling day on the cards. Hope it doesn't end in an anti-climax.

India will look to see out the first session and then probably take it from there. If we lose more than a couple of wickets in this session then its as good as over in achieving a result.

South Africa have got a great advantage primarily due to the effort of Kallis, boucher and the tail-enders. Steyn will likely hold the aces from now on unless the batsmen have their say.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Think we are heading for a draw here. Sehwag staying in for 30-40 over at least was our only chance of getting the total. While SA needed to pick up atleast 2-3 wickets with the new ball. Dravid, Gambhir, Sachin and Laxman all play spin too well to let Harris run through.

zing

Zingle balls
Draw, mostly. Team's performed well enough to earn at least a drawn series, too. A 2-1 loss would've been a misrepresentation.

zing

Zingle balls
Didn't know the pitch was this bad. Started watching only in the second session. Dravid and Gambhir have been really good so far. 11 overs..

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
God, the Indian fans are in for a nasty suprise when they hit English shores this summer… :smirk:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
God, the Indian fans are in for a nasty suprise when they hit English shores this summer… :smirk:
I would say that England fans will be in for a nasty surprise when they see India playing.

Beating the worst Australian team in the last twenty years or so isn't that a big achievement considering South Africa defeated them last year and we drew with them 1-1 in Australia when they had pretty much their strongest team.

I'm fairly sure that we won't lose the series there in England.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I would say that England fans will be in for a nasty surprise when they see India playing.

Beating the worst Australian team in the last twenty years or so isn't that a big achievement considering South Africa defeated them last year and we drew with them 1-1 in Australia when they had pretty much their strongest team.

I'm fairly sure that we won't lose the series there in England.
…and I'll be quoting you on that. :smirk:

The Indians have some nice sayings about the blind fools.

KM

…and I'll be quoting you on that. :smirk:

The Indians have some nice sayings about the blind fools.
and I've quoted your previous post :D

We'll see who's right when the English series comes.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just some figures I've produced based on my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

Tendulkar 40/51 centuries have been against top opposition (excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe). 11 v Australia. (4 v New Zealand - reknowned for average bowling attacks)

Kallis 36/40 centuries have been against top opposition, 4 v Australia and 11 v India/New Zeland (reknowned for average bowling attacks).

Ricky Ponting 37/39 against top class opposition, (8 v India/New Zealand).

Brian Lara 32/34 against top class opposition, (3 v India/New Zealand).

Sachin Tendular v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 36/51 Centuries.
Brian C Lara v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 29/34 Centuries.
Ricky Ponting v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 29/39 Centuries.
Jacques Kallis v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 25/40 Centuries

As a batsmen, statistically and even just to the naked eye... no comparison, Tendulkar is the better batsman, I also would argue that Lara and Pontings achievements surpass his. However as an all-round player, Kallis is pretty phenomenal.. yes not spectacular or 'flair' in any part of his game.. but he is very effecient and in a sport like Cricket, where solid technique is valued across a variety of aspects and composure is essential, Kallis is a ridiculous player.. he is quality in all areas of the game without really being a break the mould player in any category.

Jacques of All trades.. Master of None is a harsh but ultimately vaild statement with regards to his ability but anyone whos scored 40 centuries and has taken 250+ wickets deserves the highest of praise... and I don't think any team in world cricket would say no to him.. nor view him as anything but a cricketing legend...its a shock he hasn't broken down yet.

zing

Zingle balls
14 overs left.. could agree to a draw, but Smith reckons they can still win it. I guess because of how the England test played out last time and also because the new ball's due in a few overs.

zing

Zingle balls
Draw agreed..

1-1

Kallis will get MOTM and I'm guessing Steyn Man of the Series..

TheReligion

Abusive
Draw was fair enough.

India will be livid they let a huge advantage slip mind and clearly have alot of work to do when finishing teams off. At 96/5 or whatever it was, they should have pushed on to win this and the series.

KM

Draw was fair enough.

India will be livid they let a huge advantage slip mind and clearly have alot of work to do when finishing teams off. At 96/5 or whatever it was, they should have pushed on to win this and the series.
Agreed. We need a good pace bowler to compliment Zaheer.

zing

Zingle balls
Agreed. We need a good pace bowler to compliment Zaheer.
I don't like Munaf Patel at all, but I think we could do with him. If we can't have a guy who can take wickets, we need a guy who'll at least keep it tight and not concede boundaries every over like Ishant's doing.

Nehra declared himself test-match fit, it'd be nice if he could put a bit of work in on his body and be ready for England.

KM

I don't like Munaf Patel at all, but I think we could do with him. If we can't have a guy who can take wickets, we need a guy who'll at least keep it tight and not concede boundaries every over like Ishant's doing.

Nehra declared himself test-match fit, it'd be nice if he could put a bit of work in on his body and be ready for England.
Yes Munaf is good tbh, the only thing lacking him is his attitude, his line and length are pretty good imo. Disappointed with Ishant, always been a fan of him but he has been very poor for quite some time. Actually I would like too see Umesh Yadav a chance, he is one bowler who regularly bowls 140.

Our pace bowling options are looking bad with no good talent coming maybe that Chawal guy from Rajasthan but no one else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need one or two genuine quicks now. It's all too one paced. That's why we struggle to bowl teams out. Because we don't have a pacer who can frighten teams.

As for the statistics from Raess, some very interesting ones. I think Kallis is a great cricketer and any team would love to have him. I just don't think he has that dominance about any aspect of the game that the greatest do. In all my time of watching the game I've never thought of Kallis as one of the players I fear when playing against my team. Lara and Tendulkar could walk out there and destroy teams, literally obliterate them. And that too being the sole pillar of some very average cricket teams. I personally think Sachin is the best batsman of all time.

An example of what I mean is world cups. Kallis had an average of 80 at the 2006 world cup, but he got criticized for batting slowly during some crucial moments that cost them. Those are the kind of things that don't happen to a Sachin or Lara or Warne. I just don't rate him as that level of cricketer. Super player indeed but not a truly dominant and inspirational one. As I said, I'd put him along with Pollock in the tier below the greatest players.

kiristao

Just some figures I've produced based on my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

Tendulkar 40/51 centuries have been against top opposition (excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe). 11 v Australia. (4 v New Zealand - reknowned for average bowling attacks)

Kallis 36/40 centuries have been against top opposition, 4 v Australia and 11 v India/New Zeland (reknowned for average bowling attacks).

Ricky Ponting 37/39 against top class opposition, (8 v India/New Zealand).

Brian Lara 32/34 against top class opposition, (3 v India/New Zealand).

Sachin Tendular v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 36/51 Centuries.
Brian C Lara v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 29/34 Centuries.
Ricky Ponting v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 29/39 Centuries.
Jacques Kallis v Top Class Bowling Opposition: 25/40 Centuries

As a batsmen, statistically and even just to the naked eye... no comparison, Tendulkar is the better batsman, I also would argue that Lara and Pontings achievements surpass his. However as an all-round player, Kallis is pretty phenomenal.. yes not spectacular or 'flair' in any part of his game.. but he is very effecient and in a sport like Cricket, where solid technique is valued across a variety of aspects and composure is essential, Kallis is a ridiculous player.. he is quality in all areas of the game without really being a break the mould player in any category.

Jacques of All trades.. Master of None is a harsh but ultimately vaild statement with regards to his ability but anyone whos scored 40 centuries and has taken 250+ wickets deserves the highest of praise... and I don't think any team in world cricket would say no to him.. nor view him as anything but a cricketing legend...its a shock he hasn't broken down yet.
I think another factor that also needs to be considered is the pressure under which he has played most of his career. In the past, 7 out of 10 Indians used to probably shut the tv and give up the match once Sachin got out. Its not easy to play under so much pressure.

Neutral

BTV
RSA look up for a big score...should be fun to watch the chase, though commentators saying dew factor will play a big hand.

200/3 after 33 overs.

KM

RSA look up for a big score...should be fun to watch the chase, though commentators saying dew factor will play a big hand.

200/3 after 33 overs.
Nehra has been embarrassing in this match.

KM

Getting smashed, giving up 10 runs an over. But he nearly had his man with the lbw appeal(unlucky not to get the decision)
He has been pathetic in this match, Munaf has been miles better than him.

AB out, Rohit Sharma gets the wicket!

zing

Zingle balls
267/7 with 3 overs to play.

Should be a good chase.. nice batting we got today even though Sehwag and Gambhir aren't playing. Although their bowling's kind of really good.

Neutral

BTV
289-9

RSA will be disappointed with that effort, after the position they were in. The commentators are however adamant it is more than enough....

KM

Unlucky out for Dhoni.

Stretch

289-9

RSA will be disappointed with that effort, after the position they were in. The commentators are however adamant it is more than enough....
They were actually right mate, I'd have pointed that out to you if I was online last night. India would've had to break the record for chasing at night at Kingsmead, Durban.

Neutral

BTV
They were actually right mate, I'd have pointed that out to you if I was online last night. India would've had to break the record for chasing at night at Kingsmead, Durban.
No I wasn't doubting the commentators, just saying while South Africa might have been disappointed at not getting more than 300, after being in such a strong position, the commentators felt it didn't matter at all...

As you say, it would have been a record chase.

KM

Why the feck is Murali Vijay playing again?

Good batsman on Indian pitches but I don't think he can cope on Foreign Pitches.

zing

Zingle balls
Because Srikanth is the selector.

I think he can do alright on foreign pitches in test matches where he can leave -- he's a good judge of which balls to leave. The pressure gets to him in limited overs cricket.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrific conclusion, Morkel gone. 3 to win with 1 wicket in hand...

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gone!!!! India win a thriller.

Credit to India, but South Africa should've won this comfortably.

KM

Get the feck in!!
What a match!

wr8_utd

:'(
WHAT A BLOODY MATCH!!!! Extraordinary collapse from RSA after needing 3 runs wth 2 wickets but I love Munaf right now :lol:

KM

You can say all about South Africa's choking, but the character of this Indian team is fecking amazing!

They never give up, Munaf Patel take a bow!