Southampton 2022/2023 | Nathan Jones Sacked

Dan600

So it says they want to follow the Man City model of buying up loads of clubs in smaller countries, setting up outposts, scouting networks etc. Most clubs seem to be taking this route. Who would have thought that arguably the Watford ownership way back could have been originators, although I guess Red Bull perfected the current multi-club ownership first. They aren't the only ones doing this either of the smaller PL teams, Tony Bloom at Brighton is going a similar route, I saw Chelsea were supposed to considering it too. Wonder if United will eventually do similar under Rangnick's guidance, similar to the Red Bull group?

Anyway, what do we think for their window now, any Serbs coming in to the club? He's paying £100M apparently and has assets around £1Bn personally himself. Not quite going to be a City or Newcastle in terms of spending I suspect, but do Southampton fans approve. Will you be spending more than in the post-Markus Liebherr era, or is this guy bad news?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can't imagine supporting a club where the ownership changes hands every couple of years. I'd be very nervous. It's always touch and go whether you're getting a good reliable owner who can be trusted or if you're getting a reckless one who will set the club off on a negative spiral potentially resulting in relegation, sometimes multiple relegations.

Dan600

I can't imagine supporting a club where the ownership changes hands every couple of years. I'd be very nervous. It's always touch and go whether you're getting a good reliable owner who can be trusted or if you're getting a reckless one who will set the club off on a negative spiral potentially resulting in relegation, sometimes multiple relegations.
Depends on current incumbents I imagine. If the previous ownership is disastrous, Katharina Liebherr after her dad's death detested football, and the Chinese chap doesn't seem 100% right either in terms of being able to back up his finances, then I imagine any change is viewed both with scepticism and hope.

Banat

Dragan Solak, seriously? :confused:
He is portrayed here (by controlled government media) as the leading tycoon and the most controversial businessman, financing the opposition parties.
I had no idea he was wealthy enough to buy a football club in England.
I can only imagine headlines in local tabloids following this news :lol:

Dan600

Dragan Solak, seriously? :confused:
He is portrayed here (by controlled government media) as the leading tycoon and the most controversial businessman, financing the opposition parties.
I had no idea he was wealthy enough to buy a football club in England.
I can only imagine headlines in local tabloids following this news :lol:
According to UK media he is worth around £1Bn if that equates to anything in Serbian media. I'd be Interested to know what his estimated wealth is predicted to be from inside Serbia? :)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Depends on current incumbents I imagine. If the previous ownership is disastrous, Katharina Liebherr after her dad's death detested football, and the Chinese chap doesn't seem 100% right either in terms of being able to back up his finances, then I imagine any change is viewed both with scepticism and hope.
Yeah absolutely, that's a good point. The context matters. But clubs like Southampton have seen clubs of similar size literally tumble down the leagues because successive ownership structures have been negligent, biggest example being their own biggest rivals. There are also examples of the opposite, like Brentford, but because as a fan you don't really know who these individuals are when they're stepping into the club, the fear of ending up in the hands of negligent owners will just always be there.

It's obviously easy for me to say that. Chelsea have had 2 owners in 4 decades but living with that fear and uncertainty would drive me nuts.

Last edited:

Basso

Football genius and former DOF of Brentford Rasmus Ankersen is involved in the take over. Can see them make a lot of shrewd signings.

DavidDeSchmikes

From the Athletic

Sport Republic want to operate a multi-club model, and Southampton are their first acquisition.
They were founded by Henrik Kraft and Rasmus Ankersen, Brentford’s former co-director of football, and are backed by Dragan Solak, a Serbian-born businessman who is the founder of United Group.
Katharina Liebherr retains her 20 per cent share in Southampton and Martin Semmens will continue in his role as the club’s chief executive.

tomaldinho1

Fear here for Soton fans being are they referring to Gao's strategy? Because that seems to have been have them develop players or sign relatively unknown younger guys on the cheap and sell for profit whenever a bid comes in.

Ahmer Baig

That seems an awful low price to buy a club that is pretty well run in the scheme of things specifically with their academy products.

Is Southampton really valued at Jack Grealish's value? Doubt combined value of all Southampton players would be equal to 100 million.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
That seems an awful low price to buy a club that is pretty well run in the scheme of things specifically with their academy products.

Is Southampton really valued at Jack Grealish's value? Doubt combined value of all Southampton players would be equal to 100 million.
Controlling stake doesn't mean you have to buy the whole club does it ? Isn't that just in order to have a majority of it ? Do Saints own their stadium ?
100M does sound very cheap if so.

Carolina Red

Staff
Controlling stake doesn't mean you have to buy the whole club does it ? Isn't that just in order to have a majority of it ? Do Saints own their stadium ?
100M does sound very cheap if so.
According to ESPN, Sport Republic purchased an 80% stake.

If that’s the case, then 100m absolutely seems low.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
It does seem a bit low, but our Chinese owner Gao, wasn't really in any position to hold on methinks. In fact he hasn't been seen here since about 2017 when he bought the club. He was a dreadful owner, not interested in the club what so ever. Dare I even risk saying that no one could be worse than him?

We'll see what happens. Not expecting huge number of signings (as they've said that), but maybe some owners who actually care a bit more is a good start.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
It does seem a bit low, but our Chinese owner Gao, wasn't really in any position to hold on methinks. In fact he hasn't been seen here since about 2017 when he bought the club. He was a dreadful owner, not interested in the club what so ever. Dare I even risk saying that no one could be worse than him?

We'll see what happens. Not expecting huge number of signings (as they've said that), but maybe some owners who actually care a bit more is a good start.
I don't think he was a great owner either but the Chinese did pull the plug on monies being taken out of the country which did tie up his hands some.
Not sure but also think the new owners took on our debt (between £70-100m).

Reactions: Cheimoon

Banat

According to UK media he is worth around £1Bn if that equates to anything in Serbian media. I'd be Interested to know what his estimated wealth is predicted to be from inside Serbia? :)
His net worth is a big mystery. He's been accused of money laundering and tax evasion. You can hear his name on (regime) TV dragged through the mud on a daily basis here - Accusing him of different frauds, anti-government activities, treason etc. :lol:
He controls the "United group" and what is interesting, maybe 3 months ago, they lost their right to broadcast the Premier league in the future, as they couldn't compete with Telekom Serbia (they paid 600m € for 6 seasons).
It was a huge blow for his "United group".
Anyway, the point is our businessmen are shady AF. And I mean more shady than Abramovich & co.
I can bet my life he is there to leech and milk the club and I was very surprised a well-run club like Soton would allowed it. I remember few years ago when Miskovic (close to 3bn net worth) entered the biggest club in Serbia (Red Star Belgrade, basketball).
Club almost went bankrupt after his reign.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Dan_F

His net worth is a big mystery. He's been accused of money laundering and tax evasion. You can hear his name on (regime) TV dragged through the mud on a daily basis here - Accusing him of different frauds, anti-government activities, treason etc. :lol:
He controls the "United group" and what is interesting, maybe 3 months ago, they lost their right to broadcast the Premier league in the future, as they couldn't compete with Telekom Serbia (they paid 600m € for 6 seasons).
Anyway, the point is our businessmen are shady AF. And I mean more shady than Abramovich & co.
I can bet my life he is there to leech and milk the club and I was very surprised a well-run club like Soton would allowed it. I remember few years ago when Miskovic (close to 3bn net worth) entered the biggest club in Serbia (Red Star Belgrade, basketball).
I’m glad someone from Serbia came out with this, I’ve been considering posting something less dramatic for the last 24 hours but didn’t want to be accused of racism. I’m not sure I’d be wanting my club to be mixed in with what could essentially be a pissing match between this guy and the president :lol:

Southampton fans need only ask their biggest rivals about the last Serbian to own a Premier League club (off the top of my head). I hope it doesn’t go to shit for them and the Premier League properly look into the guy’s finances.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I’m glad someone from Serbia came out with this, I’ve been considering posting something less dramatic for the last 24 hours but didn’t want to be accused of racism. I’m not sure I’d be wanting my club to be mixed in with what could essentially be a pissing match between this guy and the president :lol:

Southampton fans need only ask their biggest rivals about the last Serbian to own a Premier League club (off the top of my head). I hope it doesn’t go to shit for them and the Premier League properly look into the guy’s finances.
Yeah, I don't know anything about the the new owners but I'm getting Portsmouth vibes from this one.

Dan_F

Yeah, I don't know anything about the the new owners but I'm getting Portsmouth vibes from this one.
The funny thing is (it’s not really funny), Milan Mandarić took over a club I follow in Slovenia and almost bankrupted them, admittedly after some success. He’s now sold the club to some unknown guy who’s promising to clear all the debts. I think we know how this one ends :lol:

Caesar2290

Took points of Conte's resurgent Spurs, got 2 points vs City, got 1 point of us. Addressed the leaky defense that was shipping in goals for fun last season. Keeps them in the PL on a shoestring budget while losing his key players every year.

Hassenhuthl is a very underated manager. I wish teams like Leicester and Everton would take a punt on him. I really think he is a hidden gem of a manager in the PL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Actually under Hasenhuttl they've been one of most difficult matchups for Man. City in last few seasons. Two draws this year and they beat Man. City 1-0 in 19/20 when Che Adams scored from halfway line. Also lost 2-1 up at Wasteland with late goals conceded.

I know they get stick for those 9-0s but when set up right and with most of first 11 fit they've always a tricky team to dispatch for the top guys.

Caesar2290

Actually under Hasenhuttl they've been one of most difficult matchups for Man. City in last few seasons. Two draws this year and they beat Man. City 1-0 in 19/20 when Che Adams scored from halfway line. Also lost 2-1 up at Wasteland with late goals conceded.

I know they get stick for those 9-0s but when set up right and with most of first 11 fit they've always a tricky team to dispatch for the top guys.
Despite the 9-0 against us, every other time they were either very close or took points of us. We needed a couple of injury time winners to secure the 3 points against them.

Ralf knows how to set up his teams. Ocassionally that backfires. But so do other top gengenpressing managers. Remember that 5-0 drubbing we gave Leipzing and Naglessman a year ago?

The fact that he did everything you mentioned while losing his key players every year is a very impressive feat.

Clubs like Everton, Leicester and Totenham should line themselves up, instead they go for the "reputation" managers, has beens who leave them in a much worse state than they were. I really hope a bigger club in the PL will give him a chance to prove his mettle.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Their new manager is a narcissistic nutcase. Fans hate him and he's practically begging to be sacked already.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah he’s a loon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently they're already thinking about sacking him. Beating us and City definitely bought him time but he looks terrible. I don't rate Ralph much but to sack him for this guy is laughable.

MrBrightside1989

Apparently they're already thinking about sacking him. Beating us and City definitely bought him time but he looks terrible. I don't rate Ralph much but to sack him for this guy is laughable.
Can't see them sticking with him- nailed on for relegation unless they turn it around soon. Recruitment used to be a huge southampton strength but they've got a lot wrong recently.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn't realise his Stoke tenure was so bad. 15% win record. :nervous:

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
“Real aggressive front footed side” - there were a few dirty sides in the champ last season (Blackburn and QPR) but Luton were horrible to play against. It was the sort of blatant stuff you can not get away with in the Prem with all its additional scrutiny.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's the deal with them signing all these attackers.....and still having Che Adams upfront on his own at Brentford? :lol:

Are none of the new guys fit as their attack is championship standard if Ward Prowse isn't lining up a free kick. Orsic still isn't starting and he's been there weeks although I assume injured at weekend.

At least with Forest signing endless players they do actually put most of the new signings straight in.

Also got a soft centre at CB so I think they'll go down comfortably unless they sack Jones soon.

Watched Girona at the weekend and Oriel Romeu was a very underrated player, they have a nice balance in midfield with him and JWP. Now it's all young and inexperience and they're a bit like us a decade ago apart from they don't have a Benteke upfront unless the Genk forward can hit it off.

Ten Lasso

Their manager is off his fecking rocker, no wonder they're propping up the rest of the table.

By his own admission, when he was at Luton, "statistically there weren't many better than me around around Europe for aggression, clean sheets, defending the box, balls in the box, xG". Pound for pound his Luton side was the best is Europe, apparently.

Of course, it's never his fault when shit hits the fan. He was horrendous at Stoke, not because of his own shortcomings of course, but "because of certain things".

With Southampton, they are where they are not because he's out of his depth, but because he's had to compromise. "On personnel, because of the fans, how things look, certain players and internationals". He's also admitted to being "the fittest human being in history" without a single ounce of irony.

Maybe he's angry and bitter his career hasn't turned out quite how he expected. He did previously say he'd only leave Luton for Barcelona.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Their manager is off his fecking rocker, no wonder they're propping up the rest of the table.

By his own admission, when he was at Luton, "statistically there weren't many better than me around around Europe for aggression, clean sheets, defending the box, balls in the box, xG". Pound for pound his Luton side was the best is Europe, apparently.

Of course, it's never his fault when shit hits the fan. He was horrendous at Stoke, not because of his own shortcomings of course, but "because of certain things".

With Southampton, they are where they are not because he's out of his depth, but because he's had to compromise. "On personnel, because of the fans, how things look, certain players and internationals". He's also admitted to being "the fittest player in history" without a single ounce of irony.

Maybe he's angry and bitter his career hasn't turned out quite how he expected. He did previously say he'd only leave Luton for Barcelona.
He got Luton punching well above their weight, like far surpassing where they should be.

You cannot diminish that achievement. He shouldn't have left them the first time round to go to Stoke, it's fairly evident that Stoke is not a well run club currently.

He is a quality manager in a team that was low on confidence and quality when he joined. Maybe the jump was too early or too much for him but he has shown previously that he is a very astute manager.

I'd wager him being a premiership manager within 7 years of his first managerial appointment isn't making him lose sleep.