Southampton 2022/2023 | Nathan Jones Sacked

New manager seems like he’s a few fries short of happy meal, will probably be sacked soon

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He got Luton punching well above their weight, like far surpassing where they should be.

You cannot diminish that achievement. He shouldn't have left them the first time round to go to Stoke, it's fairly evident that Stoke is not a well run club currently.

He is a quality manager in a team that was low on confidence and quality when he joined. Maybe the jump was too early or too much for him but he has shown previously that he is a very astute manager.

I'd wager him being a premiership manager within 7 years of his first managerial appointment isn't making him lose sleep.
He may be a good manager, I don’t know really but his comments last week were cringeworthy. You lose every week and blame it on trying to please people is bizarre. I don’t think he will last long as the fans turned a few weeks back.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He may be a good manager, I don’t know really but his comments last week were cringeworthy. You lose every week and blame it on trying to please people is bizarre. I don’t think he will last long as the fans turned a few weeks back.
He's not blaming it on anyone in those comments, what he is saying is there was a way of playing at Southampton that whomever took him on wanted him to adhere to, along with maybe some of the players.
A style which Jones has never had as a manager, his teams are very industrious, robust and full of running.

I think he's saying there that his compromises he had to make in that style aren't working so he's going back to what he knows and what made Luton unbelievably competitive.

At least that what I take out of it.
As for the stats comment, it's true. Luton were one of the best defensive teams in Europe at a point in time last season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would take Salisu as a backup to Martinez. The rest of the squad is championship standard. I know they invested in Jan and I have no idea who they are.

tomaldinho1

Hasenhuttl kept them up and got players performing way above their level, they then continued to sell better players than they bought season after season and really now we're seeing the true level of this squad. Can't see them staying up.

avgp_1

I would take Salisu as a backup to Martinez. The rest of the squad is championship standard. I know they invested in Jan and I have no idea who they are.
Lavia is a terrific young player. We should be all over him if Southampton get relegated and hopefully City don't exercise their buy back option.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's done. Losing 2-1 at home to 10 men. Out of his depth

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nathan Jones must be one of worst managerial appointments for a long time in premier league.

How on earth do you lose to Wolves at home when they were down to 10 men for 70 minutes and you were actually leading in the game!

They might aswell just give Pulis a go for 15 games given he lives down there.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Shocking defeat that. 1-0 up at home when Wolves go down to 10 men on 27 minutes. Got dominated possession wise with one more player for most of the match, just 41%.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's done. Losing 2-1 at home to 10 men. Out of his depth
The hilarious thing is when Saints get an early sending off they end up getting thrashed 9-0. When the opposition gets one they lose from a winning position against a team who until last week was scoring 0.6 goals per game.

Rex Banner

Hope he doesn't get sacked just so we can get another press conference or two. Absolute nutter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Southampton strike me as a pretty mentally weak team/club. Getting dicked 9-0 twice and having results like this consistently isn’t very normal.

kundalini

Nathan Jones must be one of worst managerial appointments for a long time in premier league.

How on earth do you lose to Wolves at home when they were down to 10 men for 70 minutes and you were actually leading in the game!

Southampton had 12 points from 14 games when Jones took over.

In the 8 matches before his appointment, they got 5 points but played against Arsenal, City and Newcastle.

In the 8 PL matches under Jones, they have 3 points from 8 games, despite not playing any of the current top 5 teams in the table; which is mind-blowing.

The 3 teams they have played twice this season are Wolves, Villa and Everton.

Southampton spent £127m on incoming transfers, net £122m this season.

I don't know who is making the key decisions at Southampton but they have behaved as if PL football is easy; buy a bunch of 18, 19, 20 year olds, bring in a manager with Championship experience.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

He’s so full of himself as well. What happened to the ‘I listened to others and went against what makes me great, no more’ crap from the other day? I guess this is him doing what makes him great. It’s what he said :houllier:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Southampton strike me as a pretty mentally weak team/club. Getting dicked 9-0 twice and having results like this consistently isn’t very normal.
What has that 9-0 to do with current status? Looks like you just wanted to being that 9-0 for no reason.

They are here today because they have been extremely poor this season and they sacked one of the best managers they have had in years. Not because they lost 9-0 many years ago.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What has that 9-0 to do with current status? Looks like you just wanted to being that 9-0 for no reason.

They are here today because they have been extremely poor this season and they sacked one of the best managers they have had in years. Not because they lost 9-0 many years ago.
One of the best managers who got dicked 9-0 twice in 2019 and 2021. They just don’t strike me as a club with a positive mentality or mental strength. They have had a number of results over the past 5 years which make me question it. Today and those two examples are the most prominent. Another example is our victory over them early in the season. Went 1-0 up and then 2-1 down all within the space of 10ish minutes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not enough experienced heads. Think Romeu wanted to go back to Spain but they should've replaced him with another experienced CM (along with signing Lavia).

JWP is really the one who holds it together back to front and he can only do so much.

Thought Caleta-Car might be a decent pickup for CB but he's not playing much either. I like Kyle Walker Peters aswell but beyond that it's a very poor set of players.

ti vu

One of the best managers who got dicked 9-0 twice in 2019 and 2021. They just don’t strike me as a club with a positive mentality or mental strength. They have had a number of results over the past 5 years which make me question it. Today and those two examples are the most prominent. Another example is our victory over them early in the season. Went 1-0 up and then 2-1 down all within the space of 10ish minutes.
It's about quality of players/squad. Their, the players' mental strength included. Their players are geared toward technical, and stamina, but lacking quality in many departments.

They sacked the best coach who actually coached this squad to paper over the lack of quality. But now the floodgate is opened.

So both of you're talking about the same thing IMO.

Sylar

So Nathan jones sacked
Had a quick look at the fixtures and phew, united are a month (four games) away rather than the next one (that's Chelsea)

CM

Nathan Jones was a man who believed his own hype. Terrible appointment in the first place

Acole9

Outstanding
Only surprise is he wasn't sacked earlier. He was a disaster at Stoke, daft appointment in the first place.

Remember the geese

How's Bella-Kotchap been doing? Everyone was raving about him at the beginning of the season after we played them.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm actually sad to see this happen despite him leaving us and stealing Bree, who was essential to our team.

He had a failure at Stoke after he Judas us the first time but he did incredibly well to keep us in the Championship and turn us into promotion candidates... But wtf was happening at Soton was bizarre.

Now Rob Edwards smashing it at Luton so not sure where NJ goes....

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Jones was a bizarre appointment after Hassenhuttl. He was shite at Stoke and just looked out of his depth. Luton is his level, it’s his comfort zone where he thrives. All the talk of being the best coach in the world is just deluded, know your limits man!

Okey

Very baffling appointment to replace Hassenhuttl. Looked lost from Day 1.