Spurs 2018/19

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No, but wherever Pochettino goes it wouldn't be that surprising if he takes 1-2 of his former players.

This is an interesting tweet, re Eriksen:

would certainly explain Poch's 'dynamic' comments the other day

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No, but wherever Pochettino goes it wouldn't be that surprising if he takes 1-2 of his former players.

Why wouldn’t it be surprising? The way people are talking it’s like Poch just sticks the players in his bag and moves on, IF you get Poch I wouldn’t be surprised that any deal done with Levy didn’t include something regarding United not being allowed to back for players for a few seasons.

I have no doubt Eirksen is waiting to see how the season pans out, he is the only player bar Toby who hasn’t signed a new contract. There are rumours he wants a move to Barca.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Id also like to add if Poch is actually backed in the xfer window by Levy. That could also be a good indicator of him sticking around.

Not much point splashing the cash on your managers targets if he is about to jump ship in 6months. Then you just have to back the new manager that is appointed in 6months time all over again. On targets he wants.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I can't find the interview itself, but I imagine it'd go something like this. I also reckon, like that situation, that Kane would probably end up staying at Spurs.
If he is wise, Levy will do his utmost to include a no-transfer policy in any deal involving the release of Poch from his contract, allowing him to join United. In fact, I think he will insist on it.

So if Poch does join United, there is absolutely no chance of him taking his favourite players with him. Mores the pity.

Kag

Second in the league. Scores lots of goals. Plays attacking football. Didn’t spend a penny. In this position with a two man midfield of Winks and Sissoko.

feck off Mourinho.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Compared to last season we are +11 points after the same number of games and +11 points after same/equivalent fixtures.

Jev

Having spent nothing in the summer, surely they will try to make a statement signing in January to give the title talk an added boost? A world class centre mid could make a decisive difference, and they could still use a solid Kane backup.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Second in the league. Scores lots of goals. Plays attacking football. Didn’t spend a penny. In this position with a two man midfield of Winks and Sissoko.

feck off Mourinho.
Have a feeling Spurs form contributed to him getting the sack before end of season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fair chance we lose eriksen which would be a massive blow. Fingers crossed he stays though. I could cope with losing Toby but eriksen is way more important.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I guess the trick is to be so poor there is not even talk of bottle eh?
30 years of near-endless success was bound to take its toll eventually. We're just taking a step back for a while, a sabbatical if like.

But make no mistake, next year is our year.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
30 years of near-endless success was bound to take its toll eventually. We're just taking a step back for a while, a sabbatical if like.

But make no mistake, next year is our year.
30? More like 20.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Everyone is talking about Liverpool and City and dismissing Spurs challenge even though they are 2nd. This year could be their year based on their 2nd half performance for last 3 seasons

2nd half (last 19 PL games) points tally for last 3 seasons.
15/16-16/17-17/18-(Average)​
Arsenal:29-35-32-(32)
Chelsea:30-44-31-(35)
Liverpool:30-33-40-(34)
City:30-39-45 -(38)
United:36-33-39-(36)
Spurs:35-47-43-(42)

So if we add average points from last 3 seasons to current points tally, the final table would something like this

1. Spurs:45+42=87
  2. Liverpool:51+34=85
  3. City:44+38=82
  4. Chelsea:40+35=75
  5. Arsenal:38+32=70
  6. United:32+36=68

So dismiss spurs at your own peril, they are very much in Title hunt. I am sure United fans will be happy to see this happen :)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
30? More like 20.
Fergie won his first trophy for the club some 28 years ago, since then it has been a rollercoaster ride of great football, endless success and kung-fu fighting.

Even after the great man retired from the game, his horribly inefficient replacements have managed to win the FA Cup, the Europa League, the League Cup and the CL in 2019.

30 years of success.

charlenefan

30? More like 20.
Well the PL started in 92 so that's 26 years ago, there were a couple of cups before that as well. So yeah certainly closer to 30 years than 20

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Well the PL started in 92 so that's 26 years ago, there were a couple of cups before that as well. So yeah certainly closer to 30 years than 20
You won the league first under Ferguson in 93,last time in 13. 20 years.

charlenefan

You won the league first under Ferguson in 93,last time in 13. 20 years.
Why are you only classing league titles as success? We've won 3 major honours since Fergie retired

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Why are you only classing league titles as success? We've won 3 major honours since Fergie retired
Would you call the latter stages of wengers reign a success because he picked up a few cups?

It's nice to have but not anything that shapes a narrative of "30 years of endless success"

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Would you call the latter stages of wengers reign a success because he picked up a few cups?

It's nice to have but not anything that shapes a narrative of "30 years of endless success"
Anything is better than nothing, which is the case for Liverpool up until May 2019 at the least.

charlenefan

By that token then Liverpool have had no success for 28 years then and we'll just ignore the 2005 UCL?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
By that token then Liverpool have had no success for 28 years then and we'll just ignore the 2005 UCL?
The CL is obviously succes like no other. Fa cups and UEFA cups - that's getting by.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When do Spurs go to Anfield and Man. City out of interest?

They played Liverpool in September so I'm assuming February or something.

Given they're on fire now would probably be a good time to play these games. I feel the gap will stay at 4-6 points so problem is with games starting to run out they'll have to go to these venues and have to win and just don't think they're capable of it on a regular basis.

Haven't they won only once in fifteen years at Anfield? Their record is a little better at Man. City but again very tough venue if 3 points is a total must.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
.... So dismiss spurs at your own peril, they are very much in Title hunt. I am sure United fans will be happy to see this happen :)
If we pick up the tempo 2nd half of the season, which as you say we've tended to do in seasons past, and if we get a bounce in performance at home due to the new stadium effect, and if we don't pick up any major injuries and the players that are out now (Alli, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele and Wanyama) make a swift return, then we could actually win the title.

It's a lot of IFs and we're only 3rd favourites at this point, but you never know.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I have a man crush on Son, he's such a babe.

Going to miss the beautiful bastard in January.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
When do Spurs go to Anfield and Man. City out of interest?

They played Liverpool in September so I'm assuming February or something ...
Anfield is March 30th. Man. City is April 20th.

Guy Incognito

Why wouldn’t it be surprising? The way people are talking it’s like Poch just sticks the players in his bag and moves on, IF you get Poch I wouldn’t be surprised that any deal done with Levy didn’t include something regarding United not being allowed to back for players for a few seasons.
Well he'd take his coaching staff with him. Try stopping him Levy. :)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rabiot has been mentioned a few times after we apparently were interested in the summer, I like this but can't see how we would get a free run at him even if we appear to have a good relationship with them. Also Gomes who has looked pretty pedestrian from his time at Everton so far.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Rabiot has been mentioned a few times after we apparently were interested in the summer, I like this but can't see how we would get a free run at him even if we appear to have a good relationship with them. Also Gomes who has looked pretty pedestrian from his time at Everton so far.
Can't see Rabiot going from PSG to Spurs. He can do better.

Deleted member 101472

He’s on a free in the summer, how are they going to get a better player for nothing?
well as far as the deal goes, but i do think spurs need a better player for their system. rabiot doesn't link in well with that team at all.