Spurs 2018/19

Jacko21

No matter those fixtures, take out your two leading goalscorers and suddenly things become trickier.

Be interesting to see how they cope. Here’s hoping they don’t.

Johan07

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Llorente would slow us down too much, we would lose that movement we have going forward.
I still think you have enough to get by Dortmund, and your fixtures in the PL is not that difficult that it needs to do your season.
I guess it will mean you going with two upfront/diamond like you started against us, because as you say Llorente isnt good enough to carry a top team as a lone #9.
It will be interesting to see how you cope with this. Dont think its the end of your season though.

Sylar

In our sights realistically to take over (unless they sign somebody this Jan). This makes top4 so much more interesting as its gonna be 2 from 4. Spurs have point advantage but will be without two top players up top.

We have the momentum (with only Arsenal away from the top 6 teams). But our fixture congestion near CL might be tricky.
Arsenal and chelsea play each other soon too (and chelsea without a striker right now too)

OverratedOpinion

I actually think Llorente is a decent enough striker to tide them over until Son returns. Weren't they also playing Moura through the the middle at the start of the season to decent success?

They have a good system which the players are well drilled in which can often mask for weaknesses in certain areas and make the results better than the sum of their parts .

Sylar

I actually think Llorente is a decent enough striker to tide them over until Son returns. Weren't they also playing Moura through the the middle at the start of the season to decent success?

They have a good system which the players are well drilled in which can often mask for weaknesses in certain areas and make the results better than the sum of their parts .
Moura has been injured last few games. He tweeted yesterday its still painful so will be interesting to see if hes rushed back.
With it being a knee injury, its not what they wanna do but it might be needed.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
Could the forgotten man Vincent Janssen be an option?

Saw that he was playing the other day against Liverpool in the under 23's.

Djemba-Djemba

Llorente seems like an absolute donkey these days though. And an old donkey at that.

I'd be amazed if Spurs don't drop points in the next month now, they've lost a fantastic player in Son and an absolute World Class player in Kane.

Waiting for Glaston to appear and tell us how actually losing Son and Kane is a great thing for Spurs and everything will be fine.

caid

It's just struck me how much I'm going to miss watching Dembele. Such a glorious player when at his best, just glided through the midfield and nobody could touch him. So many big games he was the difference in midfield, so much harder to bully a team when they have a player so safe in possession, not to mention his ability to draw 2-3 opposition players towards him with those powerful runs through midfield. One of my favourite players to watch play, especially live it was ridiculous watching him just bully his way through.

It's been underestimated how significant losing his presence will be, all the attention has been on the likes of Kane and Eriksen the last few seasons, but Dembele has been a key player. It's like if Kane or Eriksen left and we just didn't bother to replace them. Our big game record has been patchy this season and I do believe a big part of that is down to losing him, most of our best positive results in these games last season came when we had him in midfield. Proper attention needs to be given towards replacing him.
There aren't many players that have annoyed me more in the premier league era tbh, Brad Friedel is the only obvious one. Even when he was playing for Fulham i hated him. He was Carricks kryptonite when Carrick was our only decent midfielder. He can probably take a fair bit of credit for your rise over the years. Wanyama is the only other midfielder you've had in his time that was on his level. Dier looks more of a handy squad player / cog in the team than anything special himself.
I'll be glad to see the back of him :)

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Fulham game on Sunday will be interesting. Fulham have been woeful, if Spurs drop any points it could hurt confidence. They've got us (Chelsea) away Arsenal at home then Dortmund away at the end of February in 7 day period too. Harsh fixture list.

Deleted member 101472

How much of spurs financial plan is dependent on champions league football?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
There aren't many players that have annoyed me more in the premier league era tbh, Brad Friedel is the only obvious one. Even when he was playing for Fulham i hated him. He was Carricks kryptonite when Carrick was our only decent midfielder. He can probably take a fair bit of credit for your rise over the years. Wanyama is the only other midfielder you've had in his time that was on his level. Dier looks more of a handy squad player / cog in the team than anything special himself.

He's not such a big miss for the smaller games, but for the big occasions where having a press resistant beast of a midfielder who can drive you up the pitch and draw players in, he's been so crucial. Pretty much all our biggest results involved him at the heart of midfield and we absolutely are missing that presence this season, to an extent Sissoko has stepped up to it but he's very much a BTEC version. Pretty much all of Dembele's ex-teammates/staff think the world of him, insanely good footballer to watch.

We had a run of games last season where I think it was like Arsenal/Juve/Man United/Liverpool and Dembele was brilliant in all of them.

Raw

He could potentially miss Fulham A, Chelsea A (League Cup semi), Palace A (FA Cup), Watford H, Newcastle H, Leicester H, Dortmund H (CL), Burnley A, Chelsea A, Arsenal H and Dortmund A (CL). There's also the potential League Cup final and the FA Cup 5th round.

Son will potentially be out for the games before Leicester H too (Asian Cup final is a day before the Newcastle game).

It'll be interesting to see how they do.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sissoko out for a month. Dembele off to China.
Would be negligent if they don't bring in someone.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I love how there's still not be one single sign of @GlastonSpur since the weekend and now his club seem to be in a total injury crisis :lol:

(sorry rest of the Spurs fans)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Utterly nothing club. Why anyone even humours anything otherwise is always a bit surreal to me.

A club with a massive superiority complex where a lot of their fans seem to think that they've 'over-taken' United the last 5 years, despite the fact that we've won more trophies in that time than they've won in the last 25 years...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Utterly nothing club. Why anyone even humours anything otherwise is always a bit surreal to me.

A club with a massive superiority complex where a lot of their fans seem to think that they've 'over-taken' United the last 5 years, despite the fact that we've won more trophies in that time than they've won in the last 25 years...
10/10 bait, well done.

Vast majority of our fans are under no illusion we've overtaken United as a club, that's a total myth but go ahead and make vast generalisations, I could call your fans a bunch of glory hunting, arrogant plastics who couldn't point out Manchester on a map. Seems to me like you're basing our fanbase off what Glaston has said which is pretty silly, don't get the venom aimed at us considering we're not rivals, why if we're so much of a nothing club do you regularly pop in to our threads?

We've not won much, we get that. Most of our match going fans are actually some of the most pessimistic bunch you'll encounter, just happy to enjoy the good football with zero expectations after a long period of nothing.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
10/10 bait, well done.

Vast majority of our fans are under no illusion we've overtaken United as a club, that's a total myth but go ahead and make vast generalisations, I could call your fans a bunch of glory hunting, arrogant plastics who couldn't point out Manchester on a map. Seems to me like you're basing our fanbase off what Glaston has said which is pretty silly, don't get the venom aimed at us considering we're not rivals, clearly we're so much of a nothing club you regularly pop in our threads?

We've not won much, we get that. Most of our match going fans are actually some of the most pessimistic bunch you'll encounter, just happy to enjoy the good football with zero expectations after a long period of nothing.
Absolute nonsense - a good deal of Spurs fans view yourselves as having 'over-taken' United the past few years.

The pro-Spurs media narrative and endless propaganda about the laughable 'project' has clearly hypnotized a good number of Spurs fans (and neutrals) into believing that you're somehow achieving something these past years...

Suedesi

Amazing he won the Dutch league with AZ Alkmaar under LVG, and butthead instead of picking him opted for Schneiderlin instead. Same thing with De Vrij, which Lazio picked up for 5.5mm after the world cup and we went for Rojo.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Absolute nonsense - a good deal of Spurs fans view yourselves as having 'over-taken' United the past few years.

The pro-Spurs media narrative and endless propaganda about the laughable 'project' has clearly hypnotized a good number of Spurs fans (and neutrals) into believing that you're somehow achieving something these past years...
A good deal? Ok then. I go to matches and talk to Spurs fans all the time, I can't think of a single one who would genuinely believe we've overtaken United as a club. You're taking a vocal minority (which exists at any club) and making out that it is representative of us as a football club. Most of the Spurs fans on here are actually pretty reasonable guys, it's only Glaston who makes big claims about our future, the rest (like most of us) seem pretty content to just sit back and enjoy a good period for us, relative to how we've played in the last 25 years.

Pro-Spurs media narrative and endless propaganda? You sound ridiculous, ffs. Yeah, people in the media respect the club for not spending much money yet building our way up slowly the right way, promoting English youth like Kane and Winks and trying to play attractive, positive football. What is wrong with that? Of course we're achieving something, as a club we're far more consistent and stronger than we were before, look at how far we've come since Ramos or even AVB. We haven't won trophies but we've been able to compete at the top level of club football and for us that's completely unexpected, and we're building one of the best stadiums in the country, of course fans are excited!

You act like fans aren't allowed to see progress or be proud of their club if they aren't winning trophies, which I just find ridiculous. We'd love silverware but we're also totally understanding that we exist in an extremely competitive league where clubs spend hundreds of millions without a second thought. It's easy as a United fan to scoff at the idea that we've achieved something (you're already one of the biggest clubs in the world, one which generates insane amount of money and can expect to challenge for everything) but success is totally relative. We're steadily improving and asserting ourselves at the top end of the league, not many Spurs fans will remember a more competitive team.

You might call us a nothing club who haven't improved at all, but I still remember well the days when we were swept aside by any half decent team without a second thought. It's folly to pretend we haven't made progress.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
False #9 Delli with hard attacks down the flanks Lamela and Moura (who's Moura's cover?)

Eriksen, Winks and Dier in midfield.

Putting a static striker into that Spurs team will do more harm than good and prevent them form pressing and doing their usual high octane routine.

They should have enough about them to ground out the majority of games in Kane and Son's absence, but they really are struggling if they lose either wide man, and you'd think the team, as a collective are going to be burning out by the time Kane gets back. There looks to be a time in the season where they're going to flag via fatigue because of this.

Goes without saying they need Sissoko's industry back ASAP.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I wonder if Pochettino will revert to a back 3 now with the injuries. Something like

---Alderweireld-Sanchez-Verthongen
Trippier---------Winks-------------Rose
--------Eriksen--Alli----Lamela-----
-----------------Moura------------

It could allow us to remain solid without Sissoko and push Trippier and Rose further forward which imo are their strengths anyway.

Dyslexic Untied

What actually did happen to Kane? I know Jones was involved and that it was in extra time, but I don't recall seeing the situation. I was almost hiding behind a pillow at that stage of the game. Was it a free-kick? Any clip of it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Eriksen is likely to drop into midfield. I'm very interested in seeing how he does.
If he shows promise, I'd pay whatever they want if they are willing to negotiate with us.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Eriksen is likely to drop into midfield. I'm very interested in seeing how he does.
If he shows promise, I'd pay whatever they want if they are willing to negotiate with us.
He's been playing more or less as a CM all season alongside Sissoko with Winks holding behind them.

----Winks----
Sissoko-Eriksen
------Alli--------

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Amazing he won the Dutch league with AZ Alkmaar under LVG, and butthead instead of picking him opted for Schneiderlin instead. Same thing with De Vrij, which Lazio picked up for 5.5mm after the world cup and we went for Rojo.
Dembele was playing for Spurs since 2012? I hardly think LvG or anyone for that matter would have succeeded in dealing with Levy.

VanGaalEra

Dembele sold. With Sissoko out, Son at the Asia cup and Kane out for two months, surely they’ll sign someone? I’m not sure of Spurs’ youth teams and if they have any promising players coming through.

Leaving the squad as it is and potentially missing out on top 4, as a result, would be negligent on the part of the owners.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Dembele was playing for Spurs since 2012? I hardly think LvG or anyone for that matter would have succeeded in dealing with Levy.
Yeah, that was on SAF. We didn't have good CM and Dembele was available for 15 million, he even dominated our midfield at OT playing for Fulham.

Van Gaal should have signed De Vrij though, he played lot for Netherlands under Van Gaal and he knew how good he was.

tomaldinho1

Dembele sold. With Sissoko out, Son at the Asia cup and Kane out for two months, surely they’ll sign someone? I’m not sure of Spurs’ youth teams and if they have any promising players coming through.

Leaving the squad as it is and potentially missing out on top 4, as a result, would be negligent on the part of the owners.

This is a bit under the radar and I know he's getting on a bit but think it's a huge loss. On his day my fave DM in the PL, completely nullified us many times in past games.

No Kane, No Son, No Sissoko, No more Dembele...top 4 race is going to be tense

ArjenIsM3

Be very interesting to see how Spurs will get along if indeed they don't sign anyone. Would hate to see them sign Malcom though.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Spurs' next run of league games are pretty favourable

Fulham (a)
Chelsea (a) League Cup
Palace (a) FA Cup
Watford (h)
Newcastle (h)
Leicester (h)
Dortmund (h) UCL
Burnley (a)
Chelsea (a)
Arsenal (h)
Dortmund (a)

Dortmund is when they really need Kane back by as that's when the league starts getting hard for them
How is that favourable? They've got to go to the bridge, a north london derby and then the Westfalenstadion in the space of a week. Dortmund are a serious team as well, on their day are unplayable, even put 4 past Atletico earlier in the season which was Simeone's biggest defeat in ages (maybe ever).