Spurs 2018/19

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pressure on city now, dropped to 3rd with arsenal Everton and Chelsea coming up for them. Let's see what city are made of. Fair play to spurs and poch.
:lol:
I see what you did there. I'll give you credit for your kahunas. ;)

Edit: oops, I thought you meant coming up behind them. My mistake.

Last edited:

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah was a bit over the top, but I don't think we're getting near that title this season. We had the perfect opportunity to cut the lead to one point, and lost to Newcastle. We aren't reeling them in.

True, but we still had to play United in that run.
If you lose to Arsenal at home we might as well start printing the T-shirts :lol:. Out of the 3 it's your easiest game. It's an easier game than Newcastle as you know Arsenal are incapable of parking the bus.

Spurs need Kane and Alli back for Chelsea and Arsenal which comes at the end of Feb, think they could push us and City very close.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It doesn’t matter if you’ve got injuries - doesn’t change the fact you’ve been lucky in the games you’ve played
Honestly not sure what games you have been watching. We have dominated the games we have got those late goals - we may have left it late but we fully deserved to win them. It ain't luck.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Only 4 points adrift with Liverpool & City yet to play.

It's beyond the realms of possibility, is it?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
No, it's not just one game. There are number of instances over the past 5 years where all looks good and rosy for Spurs until the final hurdle, they fail to get over the line. Wolves game was a genuine chance for you lot to make it a 3 horse title race but as expected Spurs delivered one of the most gutless performances of the season and lost soundly at home. It was history repeating itself so don't get worked up when you're called out for it on an opposition forum.
It's also worth noting that during that period we had the least resting days of all teams, it's also worth noting that Wolves are a really good team this year. If we had won the Wolves game we would still be bottlers the second we lost another game which is bound to happen, and no doubt we would have been bottlers if we had lost to Newcastle today although City who did lose or Liverpool who failed to capitalize doesn't receive that criticism.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Quality wise they are about equal, but am I the only one who thinks Arry’s Spurs played a much better, aggressive style of Football? Real gung-ho, end to end stuff at times.

They went further in the CL too if iirc.
We had some great games, but was very inconsistent imo, and relied heavily on Modric, and to some degree Bale and VDV. I loved that team, but I think we play better football now overall, some of the interchange between Son, Eriksen, Alli and Kane is fantastic imo.

Fair comment though, and that CL campaign was fantastic.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It's also worth noting that during that period we had the least resting days of all teams, it's also worth noting that Wolves are a really good team this year.
If you have the least resting days of all teams then you manage the squad better, you eased past Bournemouth few days prior to Wolves game but Son, Eriksen, Kane all played close to 90 mins. It's not a valid excuse.

If we had won the Wolves game we would still be bottlers the second we lost another game which is bound to happen, and no doubt we would have been bottlers if we had lost to Newcastle today although City who did lose or Liverpool who failed to capitalize doesn't receive that criticism.
Because City have won trophies in recent times and they have performed in big matches and pressure situations, Liverpool didn't receive much criticism mainly because TV is full of their pundits and they spun the narrative of Pool gaining a point on City which is technically true. There's no big agenda against Spurs where they don't get credit, in fact I think they get more than their fair share given their track record of ballsing up in crunch matches. I mean even in last season you had a golden opportunity to kill a European giant in Juve in CL KO but you capitulated in space of 5 mins, same thing happened vs us in Semis where you put in a very tame performance against a vulnerable United side who found difficult to turn games around. Even though you as a fan don't like to hear it, there is something wrong at your club when it comes to passing the final hurdle. It has happened on too many occasions to just be a mere co-incidence/luck or else how do you explain Spurs losing 8 Semi-Finals in a row?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's possible, I haven't given up on the dream.
What's the point in being a football fan if you can't dream a little?

After all the worshipping of Saint Pep over the last few years and then Prophet Klopp the Hypocrite this year, I could think of nothing funnier than seeing both of them end up trophyless come the end of the season.

Glaston would return with renewed vigour which would be good and bad in equal measure.

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
Haha! Cheers! I've seen those transfermarkt lists before and they are truly interesting.
I randomly checked from 12/13 to now.
Pure expenditure we're 7th as expected, while net we're 27th(!!) with hardly any net cost at all.
So that transfermarkt list putting our current squad at 4th highest value is truly jaw-dropping showing the consistent magic of Poch (and Levy).
Last I checked a few months ago we were even higher on that list (2nd).
Guess selling players while not buying anything in combination with important contracts running down has decreased the value of our squad a bit.
Not quite what I meant though.
I was thinking about the cost of the players in the current squads (eligible to play), but not adjusted for sales, just the
pure cost of assembling the current squads.
Probably still 7th...

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Because City have won trophies in recent times and they have performed in big matches and pressure situations, Liverpool didn't receive much criticism mainly because TV is full of their pundits and they spun the narrative of Pool gaining a point on City which is technically true. There's no big agenda against Spurs where they don't get credit, in fact I think they get more than their fair share given their track record of ballsing up in crunch matches. I mean even in last season you had a golden opportunity to kill a European giant in Juve in CL KO but you capitulated in space of 5 mins, same thing happened vs us in Semis where you put in a very tame performance against a vulnerable United side who found difficult to turn games around. Even though you as a fan don't like to hear it, there is something wrong at your club when it comes to passing the final hurdle. It has happened on too many occasions to just be a mere co-incidence/luck or else how do you explain Spurs losing 8 Semi-Finals in a row?
Mainly not being good enough. At the beginning under Poch his big game management wasn't great, and we've also had some bad luck with injuries and losing games where we were the better team. Also some naivety and lack of know-how in the Juventus game etc. It's also possible to mention many games where the team has come through in big moments, but it's so easy for people to pick out that Wolves game we lost and say that was the pressure game, and forget the other games we won when the pressure was also on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Spurs rely so heavily on Kane it's untrue, take him out of the equation and they really struggle to get goals.
Couple that with Pochs lack of a plan B and you get games like today, where they have chances and don't take them and somehow just struggle over the line.
The game today could have gone either way really.
Stop the crosses and you cut off most of spurs attacking threat, the only plan B is a bit of magic from an individual, mainly Kane.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure exactly what you mean by “winning unconvincingly” we deserved to win that today.
You probably did but the fact that you did it by yet another late goal and yet again there was only 1 goal in it means it was unconvincing

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Spurs has been very lucky in the last 3 league games since the injury of Kane, a team needs a luck sometimes but luck in 3 games in a row, might be the sign of Spurs will really going to stay in top 4.

It's possible, I haven't given up on the dream.
Your manager said top 4 is the realistic aim. :lol:

Rafaeldagold

Honestly not sure what games you have been watching. We have dominated the games we have got those late goals - we may have left it late but we fully deserved to win them. It ain't luck.
The keeper today literally let it slip through him.

Guy Incognito

Only 4 points adrift with Liverpool & City yet to play.

It's beyond the realms of possibility, is it?
They have to go to Anfield and the Etihad still. Not to mention Stamford Bridge.

The height of Spurs' ambition is top four. Hard to motivate yourself for cups when the manager practically dismisses them. A solid league team, nothing more to shout about.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You probably did but the fact that you did it by yet another late goal and yet again there was only 1 goal in it means it was unconvincing
I could flip that right round, late winner shows grit and determination to get it over the line. The game is all about perspective.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They have to go to Anfield and the Etihad still. Not to mention Stamford Bridge.

The height of Spurs' ambition is top four. Hard to motivate yourself for cups when the manager practically dismisses them. A solid league team, nothing more to shout about.
Top four is the number one target no doubt about it, it’s the sad sorry state of the game right now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I could flip that right round, late winner shows grit and determination to get it over the line. The game is all about perspective.
Doesn't make the performance unconvincing regardless of the characteristics you show

Patrick08

They just find a way, with fitter and faster players who don't relax slow the tempo down, unlike some of our components in the team.

Josh 76

If they can stay within 5 or 6 points off the top, then have a rested Kane and Ali back for the title run in........nah, stop fooling yourself!

Rafaeldagold

And if he saved that we would continue pressing high and find a way to score a goal.
Oh you know for certain you would have scored in the 8 minutes remaining? Why can’t you just accept the keeper threw the game for you today & it was lucky

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh you know for certain you would have scored in the 8 minutes remaining? Why can’t you just accept the keeper threw the game for you today & it was lucky
Because it is nonsense. We had almost 3 times the total shots and twice the shots on target. We had 2 shots cleared off the line, 2 clear misses by Moura, hit the woodwork, a clear miss by Llorente, the goal and a couple of other chances too.

The level of analysis is so strange. A goal scored in the 83rd minute is no different, involving any more luck, than a goal scored in the 7th minute and a game in which you dominated in literally every single statistic is not a lucky win when you end up winning. It is such a simplistic and strange viewpoint.

Its good though, I remember when the shoe was very much on the other foot.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
how do you explain Spurs losing 8 Semi-Finals in a row?
I am still baffled by this "stat" - is it a social experiment for lazy, second-hand-info knowledge?

Spurs were in the final of the League Cup in 2014/15, so I'd love someone to explain how they've lost "8 Semi-Finals in a row".

Between 2008 and 2019, we've won the League Cup once, been runners up twice, and had 4 FA Cup Semis (plus another 2 LC QFs).

The only stat I can see is that we've reached the semis of the FA Cup 8 times in the 29 years since we last won it, which I imagine is a weird attempt to make it an insult that we've been competitive recently.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Top four is the number one target no doubt about it, it’s the sad sorry state of the game right now.
He doesn't dismiss them, it's something that has been lost in translation.

What Pochettino has explained is that the thing that will close the financial/reputation gap between Spurs and the likes of Utd/City/Arse/Pool/Chelsea (besides having crooked owners, for some of them) is being consistently near a title challenge and in the CL, which is where the money is. Teams like Swansea, Wigan, Pompey, and Birmingham have all won either the FA Cup or League Cup within the last decade, and it can't really be said that it helped them a bean. If one of those managed a top 4 finish, it's not hyperbolic to suggest it could have elevated them to being at least top-10 at this point in time, as players are attracted to the competitions you're in, and they money you offer, not the cups and glory you had before they came.

It's frustrating, as a fan, having the "no trophies" thing chucked at you, but the FA have devalued the FA Cup and League Cup too much in comparison to what UEFA offer teams.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I am still baffled by this "stat" - is it a social experiment for lazy, second-hand-info knowledge?

Spurs were in the final of the League Cup in 2014/15, so I'd love someone to explain how they've lost "8 Semi-Finals in a row".
Every time I see Spurs in a cup they are playing players Ive never heard of and a bunch of B squad or players returning from injury with the stars resting. This has to come from the board, they just dont care about cups vs top 4. Top 4 now is too much of a gravy train money wise for CL, and Spurs are all about money ball.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Every time I see Spurs in a cup they are playing players Ive never heard of and a bunch of B squad or players returning from injury with the stars resting. This has to come from the board, they just dont care about cups vs top 4. Top 4 now is too much of a gravy train money wise for CL, and Spurs are all about money ball.
Do you think we played B players in the semifinals or final we lost under Poch? This is becoming one of the biggest football myths on this forum... Poch doesn't treat the cup any differently from any other manager, he has made some comments that have been taken way out of proportion, that's about it.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
From that, I can only surmise:
  • You haven't watched a spurs cup game for a long time, or;
  • You don't generally have much knowledge of football players in general
Spurs don't have a 'B' team, and Pochettino actually players significantly fewer "youth" players that Redknapp or AVB did, despite popular belief.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
From that, I can only surmise:
  • You haven't watched a spurs cup game for a long time, or;
  • You don't generally have much knowledge of football players in general
Spurs don't have a 'B' team, and Pochettino actually players significantly fewer "youth" players that Redknapp or AVB did, despite popular belief.
I watched the game the other day vs Crystal Palace. N'kodu, Llorente, second string players. Midfield had Skip? And Dier who has been out injured for a month or more. Walker Peters 3rd string fullback, Foyth and Gazzaniga instead of Lloris and Alderweireld.

No Eriksen for some bizarre reason, with Alli out he is a must play.

Looks like a B team to me.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I watched the game the other day vs Crystal Palace. N'kodu, Llorente, second string players. Midfield had Skip? And Dier who has been out injured for a month or more. Walker Peters 3rd string fullback, Foyth and Gazzaniga instead of Lloris and Alderweireld.

No Eriksen for some bizarre reason, with Alli out he is a must play.

Looks like a B team to me.
That'll be the same Llorente with a World Cup, European Cup, Europa League and several italian titles, who is our only other striker. Would Poch be taking it more seriously if he threw an injured Kane on the pitch? God knows what you're going on about with Dier - he's had his appendix out, it's not "injured for a month' :rolleyes:

Gazzaniga is arguably a better keeper than Lloris at this stage, with Foyth and Skipp being young players who play in the league. Having depth isn't "rotating", and playing 4 matches in 10 days means that you use that depth.

Some serious clutching going on there.

AJ10

That'll be the same Llorente with a World Cup, European Cup, Europa League and several italian titles, who is our only other striker. Would Poch be taking it more seriously if he threw an injured Kane on the pitch? God knows what you're going on about with Dier - he's had his appendix out, it's not "injured for a month' :rolleyes:

Gazzaniga is arguably a better keeper than Lloris at this stage, with Foyth and Skipp being young players who play in the league. Having depth isn't "rotating", and playing 4 matches in 10 days means that you use that depth.

Some serious clutching going on there.
Bloody hell. I know you have to defend a point you're making but....:lol::lol::lol:. you can't be serious.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Please Spurs win the league, i'd take Dele Alli lifting a PL trophy over the scousers and citeh.