Spurs 2018/19

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
NFL and Spurs game on the same day really, won't Spurs have to kick off at 10am or something as usually the NFL games at Wembley kick off at 3 or 4pm.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The first link refers to just two events at Old Trafford, and one event at the Emirates, all to be held in two years from now.

The 2nd link refers to one event at Old Trafford.

Both of these are a world away from being able host multiple types of events (aside from football) in a single week - or even an NFL game and a football match on the same day - thanks to the retractable football playing surface.

So yes, contrary to your earlier claim, Spurs will be doing things with their new stadium and its design that other Prem clubs haven't and can't.
The Emirates have hosted multiple concerts since 2008 :confused: No idea how much revenue this generates honestly, i'm sure it's something but definitely not enough to make the difference when it comes to buying players or absorbing a season without European qualification.

Eric7C

This page is great thread, Spurs fan vs Spurs fan :D
It's reasonable people vs one deluded idol worshiper.

You are supposed to be impressed that they can play NFL and football on the same day. It will count for extra points in the league next season.

Ban

You are supposed to be impressed that they can play NFL and football on the same day. It will count for extra points in the league next season.
Fekin NFL. Who cares about that. I guess it will bring them so much money they'll soon be same as Real Madrid. Or something.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Fekin NFL. Who cares about that. I guess it will bring them so much money they'll soon be same as Real Madrid. Or something.
It's 2 games a year, how much income can that really bring in for Tottenham? I can't imagine it will be anything more than a few million per game, which wont have any significant impact at all on player purchases.

Ban

It's 2 games a year, how much income can that really bring in for Tottenham? I can't imagine it will be anything more than a few million per game, which wont have any significant impact at all on player purchases.
Yeah but if you ask a certain Spurs fan it's something out of this world...

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Yeah but if you ask a certain Spurs fan it's something out of this world...
I also wonder how much it added to the build cost to include a retractable pitch, the extra changing rooms (NFL will have their own) plus anything elst NFL related? It will take years before they even start to recoup that spend at 2 games a year.

Ban

I also wonder how much it added to the build cost to include a retractable pitch, the extra changing rooms (NFL will have their own) plus anything elst NFL related? It will take years before they even start to recoup that spend at 2 games a year.
Not to mention the cheese room.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The first link refers to just two events at Old Trafford, and one event at the Emirates, all to be held in two years from now.

Both of these are a world away from being able host multiple types of events (aside from football) in a single week - or even an NFL game and a football match on the same day - thanks to the retractable football playing surface.

So yes, contrary to your earlier claim, Spurs will be doing things with their new stadium and its design that other Prem clubs haven't and can't.
:lol:

These stadiums have hosted lot of events, the link is just one example.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

In my lifetime I've seen Utd win everything they could possibly win but I'll be honest and say the fact OT has never hosted an NFL game cuts deep.

Spurs fans are so lucky to have a "retractable football playing surface".

Well jealous!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why is it propaganda to mention the hotel and apartment blocks as the next phase of the planned construction around the stadium complex? These are not invented things, but ongoing projects that some people might like to know about.

Don't you ever get tired of scratching around to try and dig up shit angles from which to try and attack almost everything?
Explain why you feel the need to constantly use the line 'world class training centre' or harp on about your new stadium being one of the best?

I'm sure I've said this before but you'd be in your element supporting our lot such is your obsession with material things, rather than what's important

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal

Both stadiums have held loads of concerts over the years as have others in the division. It's extremely common and the number of events is limited by the local council (or at least was, we had a dispute with Islington council over this years back).

Out of interest do you know how many dates your club have agreed on and what gigs are lined up?

Dolf

Why aren’t they building an indoor waterpark next to the stadium? Think of all the extra income!
And after that they can sleep in the official spurs hotel!
Finishing this perfect weekend by watching an NFL game and visiting the cheese room.
World class!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In my lifetime I've seen Utd win everything they could possibly win but I'll be honest and say the fact OT has never hosted an NFL game cuts deep.

Spurs fans are so lucky to have a "retractable football playing surface".

Well jealous!
Don't fret mate, you may never have the pleasure of an NFL game at Old Trafford but you also don't have to live with constant bitter disappointment.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Forgive me, but I've heard all the panicky, doom-laden predictions many times before over the last 4 seasons or so, sometimes from Spurs fans, sometimes not. And mostly they've all proven to be wrong.

Right now, we're in 3rd place, have a place booked in the CL QFs, have a world-class training centre, are on the verge of moving into one of the very best stadiums in Europe and we have seen Pochettino, Kane and Allli all sign new, long terms contracts. I don't see all this as a bad place to be.

Yes, the squad needs more investment - and the significant extra income from our new stadium will help provide for this without having to borrow more money or engage in panic-stricken bids of the kind that you seem to have wanted last summer.

Next season, in construction terms, we push on with the next phase: the hotel and two apartment blocks next to the stadium - ground works for these have already progressed. These too will eventually bring financial benefits to the club.

Next season, in footballing terms - who knows. I'm content to see what the rest of the season brings and the summer transfer window that follows.

My view is that Spurs are putting the long-term building blocks in place - far more than any other club in the Prem in fact.

Doom laden and panicky? Hardly. I'm saying that we may struggle for top four over the next few seasons without investment, and considering we've been on a steady decline since 16/17, why are you finding this so hard to believe? We've dropped from 2nd down to comfortable 3rd and now others have caught up. We're getting worse, Glaston. Our squad is not improving with Dembele and Toby 100% gone and Eriksen likely to go (you can call this doom laden, but come on, we have a slim chance of keeping him). Also, whilst the apocalypse may not have happened, we also haven't won a single trophy and have only reached 1 major final with our best squad in forever, and players like Kane and Eriksen are hard to find. Do you genuinely believe we're going to get better over the next few seasons without serious investment in the squad?

Yes, right now we're 3rd, with Liverpool away next and on a horrific run of form which has seen our lead on the rest evaporated. You can stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the crushing reality that we're currently going to have to fight tooth and nail for top four at all, a fight we may not win, which would be a financial disaster. Some of our best players have long contracts, we have some good facilities .. since when did good facilities bring trophies? You're so focused on the 'bigger picture' that you're forgetting what actually brings silverware to a club, which is talented footballers. We're not investing enough in that. You also focus on the players who are signing contracts rather than the likes of Eriksen, Toby and Vertonghen who are not. Glass always being half full isn't always a bad thing Glaston, but let's be serious now.

Sorry, but I genuinely find it baffling that you're describing replacing permanently crocked and soon departing players as 'panic stricken bids'. The club should have identified replacements for Wanyama and Dembele last summer and spent the entire window identifying and bringing in at least one midfielder, with our current situation completely unacceptable for a top four club. Everybody and their dog could see we needed more quality in midfield, you can't just ignore positions because you don't want to spend, and you can't just shrug and say 'no value' when you spend the entire window pursuing a single player. It's not good enough. I didn't want panic, I spent the entire window asking for us to get on with it (just like our manager did) and secure signings early. If we have to borrow money to bring in 1-2 players to replace those departing, then the board have put us in a horrific position and it's a joke.

The hotels, the apartments, all that shit .. it's all nice and pretty Glaston and will look nice on accounts I'm sure, but I'm a football fan. I don't think the next phase for our club should be what buildings we're constructing, it should be capitalising on the best squad we've had in god knows how many years and building something around it, a legacy made on the football pitch. Pochettino, Kane, Son, Alli, they won't stay forever for the bakery and the craft beers, we need to start building memories in this new stadium, and you get memories from trophies. How do you win trophies? Investment, by not allowing areas of the squad to be ignored, which we have done. You act like training facilities, apartment buildings, all that jazz is so important, but buying actual football players for a football club is some silly, panicky notion. It's absurd.

We're putting building blocks in place for the future without paying attention to the present, that's the problem. It's all well and good planning for the next 20 years, but when you have an excellent coach and some excellent players available, you need to start realising you have an opportunity to achieve something great now, and we're currently in the process of throwing that away with Eriksen/Toby already going. More will follow them if we don't start showing a bit of ambition to win trophies, that's a simple fact. Slowly losing your best players will have an impact, look at Arsenal, they hung on to top 4 for ages and everybody said they wouldn't drop out .. but eventually the lack of investment and the lack of replacement for stars cost them, and it will cost us too, we aren't immune because we'll have the fanciest stadium in Europe.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

No, you are not supposed to "be impressed".

You are supposed to accept that the retractable pitch element of the stadium design is unique in the Prem and that I've said this in reply to the false claim of @roonster09 that "Spurs are not doing anything that other [Prem] clubs didn't".

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Explain why you feel the need to constantly use the line 'world class training centre' or harp on about your new stadium being one of the best?

I'm sure I've said this before but you'd be in your element supporting our lot such is your obsession with material things, rather than what's important
Ah, so now you've dropped attacking me for mentioning the hotel and apartment blocks, and have switched tack.

As I said before, don't you ever get tired of scratching around to try and dig up shit angles from which to try and attack almost everything?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
… Out of interest do you know how many dates your club have agreed on and what gigs are lined up?
I don't. I imagine there won't be any club announcements about this until it's confirmed that stadium has a been given the required safety certificates.

But "gigs" are only one type of event that club is planning to host.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Doom laden and panicky? Hardly. I'm saying that we may struggle for top four over the next few seasons without investment, and considering we've been on a steady decline since 16/17, why are you finding this so hard to believe? We've dropped from 2nd down to comfortable 3rd and now others have caught up. We're getting worse, Glaston. Our squad is not improving with Dembele and Toby 100% gone and Eriksen likely to go (you can call this doom laden, but come on, we have a slim chance of keeping him). Also, whilst the apocalypse may not have happened, we also haven't won a single trophy and have only reached 1 major final with our best squad in forever, and players like Kane and Eriksen are hard to find. Do you genuinely believe we're going to get better over the next few seasons without serious investment in the squad?

Yes, right now we're 3rd, with Liverpool away next and on a horrific run of form which has seen our lead on the rest evaporated. You can stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the crushing reality that we're currently going to have to fight tooth and nail for top four at all, a fight we may not win, which would be a financial disaster. Some of our best players have long contracts, we have some good facilities .. since when did good facilities bring trophies? You're so focused on the 'bigger picture' that you're forgetting what actually brings silverware to a club, which is talented footballers. We're not investing enough in that. You also focus on the players who are signing contracts rather than the likes of Eriksen, Toby and Vertonghen who are not. Glass always being half full isn't always a bad thing Glaston, but let's be serious now.

Sorry, but I genuinely find it baffling that you're describing replacing permanently crocked and soon departing players as 'panic stricken bids'. The club should have identified replacements for Wanyama and Dembele last summer and spent the entire window identifying and bringing in at least one midfielder, with our current situation completely unacceptable for a top four club. Everybody and their dog could see we needed more quality in midfield, you can't just ignore positions because you don't want to spend, and you can't just shrug and say 'no value' when you spend the entire window pursuing a single player. It's not good enough. I didn't want panic, I spent the entire window asking for us to get on with it (just like our manager did) and secure signings early. If we have to borrow money to bring in 1-2 players to replace those departing, then the board have put us in a horrific position and it's a joke.

The hotels, the apartments, all that shit .. it's all nice and pretty Glaston and will look nice on accounts I'm sure, but I'm a football fan. I don't think the next phase for our club should be what buildings we're constructing, it should be capitalising on the best squad we've had in god knows how many years and building something around it, a legacy made on the football pitch. Pochettino, Kane, Son, Alli, they won't stay forever for the bakery and the craft beers, we need to start building memories in this new stadium, and you get memories from trophies. How do you win trophies? Investment, by not allowing areas of the squad to be ignored, which we have done. You act like training facilities, apartment buildings, all that jazz is so important, but buying actual football players for a football club is some silly, panicky notion. It's absurd.

We're putting building blocks in place for the future without paying attention to the present, that's the problem. It's all well and good planning for the next 20 years, but when you have an excellent coach and some excellent players available, you need to start realising you have an opportunity to achieve something great now, and we're currently in the process of throwing that away with Eriksen/Toby already going. More will follow them if we don't start showing a bit of ambition to win trophies, that's a simple fact. Slowly losing your best players will have an impact, look at Arsenal, they hung on to top 4 for ages and everybody said they wouldn't drop out .. but eventually the lack of investment and the lack of replacement for stars cost them, and it will cost us too, we aren't immune because we'll have the fanciest stadium in Europe.
You say "we've been on a steady decline since 16/17", yet when did we reach the CL QFs in either 16/17 or 17/18?

Moreover, last season we finished in 3rd place in the league and may well, for all you know, finish 3rd again and might, again for all you know, do so with a higher points total than last season.

Nor do I know why you keep asking if I "... genuinely believe we're going to get better over the next few seasons without serious investment in the squad?", when I've already said that the squad needs investment.

The difference between us on all this is that you want money to be available for everything all at once - money for the new stadium, the training centre, improved contracts for players and the manager, plus new, quality signings now (i.e. last summer, in January etc.). In contrast, I am more realistic (IMO), in that the club has provided money for 3 of those 4 items, but can't also, without borrowing a lot more money, aim to spend a lot on quality new players until the increased income from our new stadium starts to roll in.

Is that so difficult to understand?

charlenefan

Ah, so now you've dropped attacking me for mentioning the hotel and apartment blocks, and have switched tack.

As I said before, don't you ever get tired of scratching around to try and dig up shit angles from which to try and attack almost everything?
I haven't switched tack at all, you chose to respond to one part of my original post ignoring the rest

You think you're clever but you're actually as thick as shit

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I haven't switched tack at all, you chose to respond to one part of my original post ignoring the rest

You think you're clever but you're actually as thick as shit
Whereas you not only dish out personal insults (against the site rules), but also seem to be obsessed with wading in to attack everything and everything I say ... of which attacking me for merely mentioning the planned hotel and apartment blocks is only the latest example.

But why the mention of hotel and apartments riles you up so much only you will know …. as with so many things that you say, it will remain a mystery to the rest of us.

AJ10

Spurs to go on a massive 1 game winning run starting with pool. :D

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You say "we've been on a steady decline since 16/17", yet when did we reach the CL QFs in either 16/17 or 17/18?

Moreover, last season we finished in 3rd place in the league and may well, for all you know, finish 3rd again and might, again for all you know, do so with a higher points total than last season.

Nor do I know why you keep asking if I "... genuinely believe we're going to get better over the next few seasons without serious investment in the squad?", when I've already said that the squad needs investment.

The difference between us on all this is that you want money to be available for everything all at once - money for the new stadium, the training centre, improved contracts for players and the manager, plus new, quality signings now (i.e. last summer, in January etc.). In contrast, I am more realistic (IMO), in that the club has provided money for 3 of those 4 items, but can't also, without borrowing a lot more money, aim to spend a lot on quality new players until the increased income from our new stadium starts to roll in.

Is that so difficult to understand?

So we're judging teams based on their cup runs now? We didn't reach the CL quarter finals last season because we drew Juventus first round. The likelihood is that if we drew Juventus now, we'd go out. 16/17 we were a better team than now but had a bad time in a cup tournament, it happens. The league is always the best indicator of a team and you're clutching at straws if you're using the CL as the bar, in league terms our rivals are catching up with us right now and we're going to face a struggle for top four.

We might well finish 3rd again, but right now we're in the worst form I've seen us in for a long while and still have to go to both Anfield and the Etihad. Points tallies don't matter so much as how close we're finishing to our rivals, as they're all improving faster than we are currently.

The squad NEEDED investment, after this summer (when we likely lose Eriksen and Toby) it's going to need surgery, that's the problem. We needed to deal with the issue of Dembele leaving sooner but brushed it under the carpet, and now we have multiple issues that need fixing.

No, I want us to prioritise. If we can't afford to replace a key midfielder in the squad (which has had a big impact on us this season) or replace perma crocked players, I'd rather the club had waited to improve our training facilities. Now personally I don't believe for one second that the money isn't available to bring in a midfielder since we're functioning almost on a negative net spend recently (especially with Dembele leaving) and have barely invested at all for a long period of time. Again, we really shouldn't have to 'borrow a lot of money' if we sell Dembele for 12m and bring in a new CM for 40-50m, that's investment that is necessary in the squad.

The new income won't roll in for a while, how long do you expect Kane, Alli, Poch etc to wait? Because they won't. Eriksen isn't, top class players don't hang around waiting for success, they go and get it. We have a core of excellent players at the squad that is slowly being whittled away because they're either declining and not being replaced, or because they want to go somewhere to win trophies. How difficult is it to understand that regardless of a new stadium, training facilities etc, a football club still needs to prioritise the footballing side of things, and make sure their manager has what he needs?

Pochettino said to be bold, he said he wanted early signings, and we ignored that. And now he's sniping in the press and is visibly frustrated with what he's had to cope with this season. It's fine spending relatively little, nobody is asking for 150m to be spunked on players, but it's not fine to spend nothing and be the first PL club ever to do so. That's going to have an obvious impact on the quality of the squad. If we do miss out on top 4 this season that will entirely be down to a silly risk by the board in which they gambled that Pochettino could manage top four without investment. It would serve them fecking right if we didn't.

charlenefan

Whereas you not only dish out personal insults (against the site rules), but also seem to be obsessed with wading in to attack everything and everything I say ... of which attacking me for merely mentioning the planned hotel and apartment blocks is only the latest example.

But why the mention of hotel and apartments riles you up so much only you will know …. as with so many things that you say, it will remain a mystery to the rest of us.
You know full well it's your constant propaganda about world class training centres and bigging up your new stadium as one of the best in Europe is what I was questioning

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
As strange as it may seem to some, Everton are the 4th most successful club in league history.

They were right in the mix with the big players from pre premier league days.

No offence, and no shade intended to anyone, just a stat, but the two merseyside teams, despite neither having won the premier league, still have more championships between them than the two Manchester clubs do, despite the latter dominating the Premier league.
Keeping the thread on track....

As strange as it may seem to some, there are 17 more successful clubs than Spurs in league history.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So we're judging teams based on their cup runs now? We didn't reach the CL quarter finals last season because we drew Juventus first round. The likelihood is that if we drew Juventus now, we'd go out. 16/17 we were a better team than now but had a bad time in a cup tournament, it happens. The league is always the best indicator of a team and you're clutching at straws if you're using the CL as the bar, in league terms our rivals are catching up with us right now and we're going to face a struggle for top four.

We might well finish 3rd again, but right now we're in the worst form I've seen us in for a long while and still have to go to both Anfield and the Etihad. Points tallies don't matter so much as how close we're finishing to our rivals, as they're all improving faster than we are currently.

The squad NEEDED investment, after this summer (when we likely lose Eriksen and Toby) it's going to need surgery, that's the problem. We needed to deal with the issue of Dembele leaving sooner but brushed it under the carpet, and now we have multiple issues that need fixing.

No, I want us to prioritise. If we can't afford to replace a key midfielder in the squad (which has had a big impact on us this season) or replace perma crocked players, I'd rather the club had waited to improve our training facilities. Now personally I don't believe for one second that the money isn't available to bring in a midfielder since we're functioning almost on a negative net spend recently (especially with Dembele leaving) and have barely invested at all for a long period of time. Again, we really shouldn't have to 'borrow a lot of money' if we sell Dembele for 12m and bring in a new CM for 40-50m, that's investment that is necessary in the squad.

The new income won't roll in for a while, how long do you expect Kane, Alli, Poch etc to wait? Because they won't. Eriksen isn't, top class players don't hang around waiting for success, they go and get it. We have a core of excellent players at the squad that is slowly being whittled away because they're either declining and not being replaced, or because they want to go somewhere to win trophies. How difficult is it to understand that regardless of a new stadium, training facilities etc, a football club still needs to prioritise the footballing side of things, and make sure their manager has what he needs?

Pochettino said to be bold, he said he wanted early signings, and we ignored that. And now he's sniping in the press and is visibly frustrated with what he's had to cope with this season. It's fine spending relatively little, nobody is asking for 150m to be spunked on players, but it's not fine to spend nothing and be the first PL club ever to do so. That's going to have an obvious impact on the quality of the squad. If we do miss out on top 4 this season that will entirely be down to a silly risk by the board in which they gambled that Pochettino could manage top four without investment. It would serve them fecking right if we didn't.
I'm judging us in part on how we do in the CL, yes, even if the luck of the draw is involved: after all it's the most prestigious club competition the world. Whereas you're partly judging Spurs on things that haven't even happened yet, namely a decline from finishing 3rd last season in the league.

You duck my question about borrowing more money to have signed new, quality players last summer and simply say you want us to "prioritise". Prioritise what? Prioritise the borrowing of more money? Because that's the only option if you want to us to have bid £50+m for CM player X (tho' you duck saying who player X could have been).

The only reason we spent nothing on new players is because our bid for Grealish was rejected. By how much more did you want us to increase the bid? Or which other CM did you want to bid for and for how much? Again you don't say.

You say you want to prioritise. The club's priority - new stadium funding aside - was secure new contracts for Pochettino, Kane, Son and Alli. And that they did. And it cost money. Was that less of a priority than signing new players? Not in my book.

Yes, the club is taking risks, but football involves risks. There are no guarantees. And neither does money grow on trees - or not unless you have a sugar daddy.

You would have preferred us to defer improving our training facilities, in favour of the more short-term option of spending bigger on new players. But that too is a risk - such short-term gambles don't always work, as plenty of clubs have found to their cost.

Personally I prefer the long-term strategy.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'm judging us in part on how we do in the CL, yes, even if the luck of the draw is involved: after all it's the most prestigious club competition the world. Whereas you're partly judging Spurs on things that haven't even happened yet, namely a decline from finishing 3rd last season in the league.

You duck my question about borrowing more money to have signed new, quality players last summer and simply say you want us to "prioritise". Prioritise what? Prioritise the borrowing of more money? Because that's the only option if you want to us to have bid £50+m for CM player X (tho' you duck saying who player X could have been).

The only reason we spent nothing on new players is because our bid for Grealish was rejected. By how much more did you want us to increase the bid? Or which other CM did you want to bid for and for how much? Again you don't say.

You say you want to prioritise. The club's priority - new stadium funding aside - was secure new contracts for Pochettino, Kane, Son and Alli. And that they did. And it cost money. Was that less of a priority than signing new players? Not in my book.

Yes, the club is taking risks, but football involves risks. There are no guarantees. And neither does money grow on trees - or not unless you have a sugar daddy.

You would have preferred us to defer improving our training facilities, in favour of the more short-term option of spending bigger on new players. But that too is a risk - such short-term gambles don't always work, as plenty of clubs have found to their cost.

Personally I prefer the long-term strategy.

Well, we'll wait to see on the league front. We're struggling and have allowed a league to totally evaporate, and I'm not going to just ignore that fact. We're sat in third but it's hardly comfortable, and the fact we're one loss away from dropping out (with a game vs Liverpool away next) is something which needs to be taken in to account, no? The champions league progress is impressive, but I honestly wouldn't say we've improved from last season, we were incredible in the groups last season and very good vs Juventus, but they're one of the best sides in Europe, better than Dortmund by some margin.

If this new stadium is meant to be pretty much guaranteed income, then why is it hugely risky to borrow 30 or 40 million to sign a midfielder to replace one leaving the club? Why have we put ourselves in such a risky position that this would be the case, we shouldn't need to be borrowing to replace departing players, that's foolhardy as it gets. We've spent basically nothing on players for years, the money should be available for an emergency signing in an area we're bereft of options in, this whole idea that we'd need to put the club in danger to buy a CM is ridiculous.

Our bid was rejected? We had an entire summer to bid, Glaston. Negotiate early with Villa, if they're not budging at a ridiculous price, move on. There's plenty of central midfielders around Europe, this idea that when we get rejected we throw our hands up in the air and go 'WELL WE TRIED' is so strange. From what I heard during the summer we made a bid than Villa considered pretty offensive in the 2019 market, and basically did nothing else, despite being linked to others like Barrios. I gave you some options for valid CM targets but again, I'm not a scout and not being paid to identify targets, but we shouldn't need to bankrupt ourselves to improve on Dier, a crocked Wanyama, Winks or Skipp.

We got some contracts secured, fine. That's the bare minimum we should be expecting of the club. Considering there are plenty of others we didn't secure to new contracts, and the fact we lost Dembele, I'm not going to sit here and applaud the club too much for handing out a few new contracts, we're still working with a far lower wage budget than most.

I'm not a big fan of taking too many risks with the best squad we've had since I can remember, really. A new stadium won't win us trophies, but this squad if properly reinforced could. I simply don't want to see it wasted and it's frustrating to see it slowly disintegrate year by year, since 16/17 (imo Pochettino's peak side) we've seen Rose decline to injury, Wanyama basically a goner, Dembele and Walker leave the club, and soon Eriksen and Toby look to be following them, and who are their replacements? Ben Davies, Trippier, Foyth and Skipp? We should have been capitalising on that squad but instead we've been complacent with it and assumed it will do the job.

Anyway, we'll see about the rest of the season. If we finish top 4 it's job done basically, but I expect to see heavy investment in the summer because it's badly required, it's so clear we're creaking with this squad. Pochettino is getting more and more visibly frustrated with what he has to work with.

Last edited:

Eric7C

No, you are not supposed to "be impressed".

You are supposed to accept that the retractable pitch element of the stadium design is unique in the Prem and that I've said this in reply to the false claim of @roonster09 that "Spurs are not doing anything that other [Prem] clubs didn't".
The fact that you want to give any importance to the uniqueness of a retractable pitch tells us everything we need to know about you. Nobody but some Spurs fans give a sh*t about your stadium and about your pitch - and rightly so, I wouldn't expect you to care about the OT pitch either.

Also, @roonster09 is not incorrect in saying that Spurs are not doing anything wildly different from other clubs in the league. You don't even have any figures to tell us if your club is going to earn anything significant from these off-football activities. Put some hard numbers out - and then we can have a concrete conversation. Right now you are just coming off as a clownish PR guy.

finneh

@SquishyMcSquish

Glaston himself agreed with you in our exchange prior to the Summer
I didn't say that austerity was over, I said it would be less than before.

Our debt servicing costs won't be all that much, precisely because we saved for years with the new stadium in mind so as to reduce construction borrowing needs. That's one difference with Arsenal's post-stadium situation. The other difference is that our wage bill is much lower than their's was (and is).

You forget that our income is booming: it jumped by 46% between the two last sets of published accounts ... an increase of £96.5m in one year alone. It will have increased further since then.

So we don't need to find some mysterious money tree to shake in order to get £100m to spend in net terms this summer if we want to.

Players out: Alderweireld most likely, Dembele possibly, Rose possibly also, and probably Llorente too.

Players in: Sessegnon perhaps, de Ligt perhaps ... not sure who else.
Apparently you didn't need to find a mysterious money tree to spend £100m net last summer... So by his own inference it was Levy either being incompetent or more likely gambling that Poch would get 4th without that investment .

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The fact that you want to give any importance to the uniqueness of a retractable pitch tells us everything we need to know about you. Nobody but some Spurs fans give a sh*t about your stadium and about your pitch - and rightly so, I wouldn't expect you to care about the OT pitch either.

Also, @roonster09 is not incorrect in saying that Spurs are not doing anything wildly different from other clubs in the league. You don't even have any figures to tell us if your club is going to earn anything significant from these off-football activities. Put some hard numbers out - and then we can have a concrete conversation. Right now you are just coming off as a clownish PR guy.
He keeps moving goal posts and twists the point, it's hilarious.