Spurs 2018/19

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's a quote from Roy Keane from a few years back. It is very true, they are the ultimate bottlers.
At least they found themselves in a position to bottle it.

We should be up there fighting for the title with Liverpool, not relying on other teams to do us a favour.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
All teams get beat but the worst thing about that game is they looked awful and fully deserved to get beat. No shots on target in the second half and knocking the ball about with no urgency on the halfway line, while chasing the game.
We were properly shite. Second half it looked like we ran out of gas so decided to sit back and conserve energy, but Wolves came at us and the goal from the set piece deflated us even more whereas they were suddenly completely up for it. Tiredness killed us basically, and an inability to kill the game off in the first half .. Wolves knew with the scoreline at 1-0 they could stay in the game and really come at us for the final 20 or so, and that is exactly what they did. We had nothing on the bench to change things.

Credit to Wolves, they took their chances. IMO Lloris needed to do better, those are the kind of moments you need your world cup winning keeper to get a firm hand on it.

Canagel

They'll start looking great again when the title is definitively out of reach. Same shit every season. I feel bad for their fans. This is supposedly the best they've ever been. We've been shit for years and still won tons more trophies than them in the same period.
Amazing we've lost 5 games each this season.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
They remind me so much of the South African cricket team. Bags of talent but mentally crumble when the going gets tough. Consistently so throughout the years.

They have won 2 league cup titles in 20 years. That is just shocking to think about especially they definitely have the talent to have won more.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So, first sign Spurs could be in the title race and they lose against Wolverhampton 3-1 at home.

You couldn't make it up.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I know how you feel. We had Barthez.
I actually really like Lloris/have been a big defender of him on here, but I'm gradually starting to lose faith. The errors are more regular than usual, and whilst he still makes the odd top save it's incredible how many shots he gets a hand to but doesn't stop. I don't see anybody we could go out and get who would be an improvement though.

Albert@13

Supports
Liverpool
As a player, he'd be a great signing.

As a personality....doesn't fit in at all with how Poch wants his players to be. Seems to be a bit of a troublemaker and if PSG's golden boy won't sign a new contract there (not sure of the exact reasons why in fairness) I am not sure what Spurs could offer him.

We have been linked with him almost every summer for about 5 seasons now though and were apparently very close to completing a deal ages ago so who knows? Don't see it though. Especially if Barca are really after him and offering him regular opportunities.
I have a lot of sympathy for Rabiot. If I was an agent to a player in his position, I would recommend the exact same thing, i.e. honour the contract to the letter, but don't sign an extension and be free to choose to leave or stay at the end of the contract. Clubs are only loyal to good players, not loyal ones. But they love to use the loyalty card to beat players into submission over contracts. And PSG is being incredibly unfair to the lad.

Bobski

They remind me so much of the South African cricket team. Bags of talent but mentally crumble when the going gets tough. Consistently so throughout the years.

They have won 2 league cup titles in 20 years. That is just shocking to think about especially they definitely have the talent to have won more.
I really don't think that part is true. Their talent level is overhyped. Looking at their team today, Davies and Trippier as full backs, hardly an exceptional pair, Alderweierld peaked in 2015/16 and Sanchez is still developing. Midfield with Winks and Sissoka is a weakness, Ali is a goalscorer and runner, not much else, Eriksen, Son and Keane are excellent but player for player against their competition I still think that 3rd would be an over achievement.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I really don't think that part is true. Their talent level is overhyped. Looking at their team today, Davies and Trippier as full backs, hardly an exceptional pair, Alderweierld peaked in 2015/16 and Sanchez is still developing. Midfield with Winks and Sissoka is a weakness, Ali is a goalscorer and runner, not much else, Eriksen, Son and Keane are excellent but player for player against their competition I still think that 3rd would be an over achievement.
I disagree.

That's an oversumplistic way of viewing things. Liverpool have Lovren and Milner as mainstays to their team and are cruising their way to the title.

Spurs squad has been together for a number of years now. So they have that as an advantage to most other teams and are fully intune to Pochettino's methods. And they do have quality players too that have shown that through their performances. Not necessarily big names but proven consistent quality.

Moriarty

I actually really like Lloris/have been a big defender of him on here, but I'm gradually starting to lose faith. The errors are more regular than usual, and whilst he still makes the odd top save it's incredible how many shots he gets a hand to but doesn't stop. I don't see anybody we could go out and get who would be an improvement though.
Barthez went the same way after a while, committing some terrible howlers. I like Lloris too but he is prone to lapses in concentration. I dunno who you could bring in. The obvious improvements are all tied up and would cost an arm and a leg to prize away. Maybe Donnarumma might fancy London. There's always Joe Hart I suppose...

Owen06

Damn...:eek: I just checked LiveScores and saw their results I literally screamed, how did it happen?its unbelievable considering how they hammered Bournemouth midweek,think it's a warning why we shouldn't underrate Bournemouth,you never what this supposedly small teams has install for you.

Bobski

I disagree.

That's an oversumplistic way of viewing things. Liverpool have Lovren and Milner as mainstays to their team and are cruising their way to the title.

Spurs squad has been together for a number of years now. So they have that as an advantage to most other teams and are fully intune to Pochettino's methods. And they do have quality players too that have shown that through their performances. Not necessarily big names but proven consistent quality.
I agree that Liverpool are a fine example of not needing world class talent in every position to have an outstanding team, but they have a better squad than Spurs, who with the slight regression of Aldweireld, obvious decline in guys like Rose and Dembele, and a lack of investment are less formidable than a year/18 months ago.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Classic Spurs when the going gets tough. They were a disgrace in the second half against Wolves. Liverpool are walking the league.

bonothom

As soon as Spurs get close to the top they start to get nosebleeds. Pathetic team, and not a lot different from the bottlers that Gary Neville called out a few weeks back when he was playing.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I read an article the other day on why Poch should stay at Spurs. Haha.

He is ours in the summer !!!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It’s not bottling it every time someone loses. It’s really lazy. They lost to a good Wolves side who are only one place below us in the table. They were never in a title race.
They have an incredible knack of doing really well right up to the point where their games start to matter in regards to them actually winning something, and then losing and missing the opportunity.

They're bottlers.

Runs through the very fabric of the club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I actually wanted them to win. Hear me out...

Not meaning to be condascending but I wanted to keep the pressure teamed up on City. Now they will simply coast back into 2nd place and have eyes only for us. Spurs don't have the squad to last the rest of the season. My pre-season prediction was for Son, Erikson, Kane, Alli to be completely knackered by late January. It's getting there so I had no real fears from Spurs.

So now it's our turn to bottle things in the next few weeks if history is anything to go by. :(
Stop toying with our feelings.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I had smile on my face & shook my head when I heard people actually thought Spurs had better chance than City to win the league a few days ago. They always bottled it & not only that they are 2 world class players behind to be considered a title challenger. I won't be surprised if Liverpool somehow will do Spurs during near the end of the season and City come out with the winner.

Mick321

All the bottler stuff going about today is harsh. They aren't as good defensively as City or Liverpool and aren't as good going forward mainly because they hardly spend anything yet are suddenly expected to seemingly win leagues?! They will have more shock results than the other two as they aren't as good so calling them chokers and stuff seems unfair.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
just when you think they're in the hunt for the title, they mess up.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Tottenham can't bottle anything when they're behind and not anything near favorites.

City bottled it sure.
This, Spurs will be there abouts, 3rd, 4th. But havnt they already lost both their home games to Pool and Schitty? That is probably them out right there as you will guess both will win or draw at home vs Spurs.

It's between Pool and Schitty, still a long way to go.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
they are not yet there mentally. this game reminded me of that cl game against juve looking comfortable then out of the blue they capitulate. it's a mental thing.

wolves deserved something. you can't say wolves were lucky.

talk of pushing for the title, and they blow it right by losing 1:3 at home. edit: well technically at home we should say.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think they’ll fade hard in the second half of the season owing to their small squad unless they reinforce their depth in January. The likes of Kane, alli, trippier, vertonghen etc even had a long World Cup in the summer.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yeah to me bottling indicates throwing something away. Like they bottled the Juventus game.

Were they ever legitamately in the title hunt? They would need a lot of luck going their way. Maybe get knocked out of a few competitions. And have a good run with injuries. And even if all those pieces fell into place still debatable.

That midfield for me can be got at, Winks - Sissoko. Sissoko has a great engine but despite his form still isnt in the same league as a fully fit Dembele. And Winks is more one for the future.