Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This is outstanding. You lot want to make a chant for this.

Trophies are so yesterday. Revenues before football trading, depreciation and exceptional items is what it's all about.
New stadiums and big profits are so yesterday too … so it's a probably good that Liverpool abandoned their plans for one because of the costs involved.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
New stadiums and big profits are so yesterday too … so it's a probably good that Liverpool abandoned their plans for one because of the costs involved.
It's a toss-up, isn't it? Arsenal gambled and lost; now you've thrown the dice as well and we'll see your outcome sometime down the line.

I'm not really having a go at you here, either. If Spurs pull off this new stadium while still managing to compete for (and win) the major honours, it will be a truly impressive feat. Especially against the backdrop of the oil clubs. Arsenal couldn't manage it, but for your sake - and for the sanity of football - I hope you do.

I just found the 'depreciation' and 'exceptional items' quote a little amusing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How come there were so many empty seats at Wembley tonight? Spurs also only got 40k v Cardiff a few weeks back I think.

Will they fill a 60k stadium on a regular basis particularly if they drop down the league a bit? Obviously first season and a bit they will due to the novelty but after 18 months Arsenal stopped selling out for the smaller games and they've got a bigger fanbase than Spurs have.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
How come there were so many empty seats at Wembley tonight? Spurs also only got 40k v Cardiff a few weeks back I think.

Will they fill a 60k stadium on a regular basis particularly if they drop down the league a bit? Obviously first season and a bit they will due to the novelty but after 18 months Arsenal stopped selling out for the smaller games and they've got a bigger fanbase than Spurs have.
There are already allowances for this under the 'crowd depreciation' section of their end of year accounts.

That's if the numbers cannot be made up by the snorkelers in their new human fish tank, of course.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
It's a toss-up, isn't it? Arsenal gambled and lost; now you've thrown the dice as well and we'll see your outcome sometime down the line.

I'm not really having a go at you here, either. If Spurs pull off this new stadium while still managing to compete for (and win) the major honours, it will be a truly impressive feat. Especially against the backdrop of the oil clubs. Arsenal couldn't manage it, but for your sake - and for the sanity of football - I hope you do.

I just found the 'depreciation' and 'exceptional items' quote a little amusing.
I think the financial gamble worked out just fine for Arsenal, our problem is the ownership and their reluctance to actually spend the clubs income. Upwards of £200 mil in the bank and Emirates is a money generating machine.

An advantage we had going into our new place was that we’d been PL champions 3 times in the preceding ten years having done the double twice.

It felt like we’d outgrown Highbury and to be honest, as much as we’ve felt some pain in the last decade, we’ve still 3 major trophies to our name in the Emirates era.

Hardly a gamble that failed..

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
I think the financial gamble worked out just fine for Arsenal, our problem is the ownership and their reluctance to actually spend the clubs income. Upwards of £200 mil in the bank and Emirates is a money generating machine.

An advantage we had going into our new place was that we’d been PL champions 3 times in the preceding ten years having done the double twice.

It felt like we’d outgrown Highbury and to be honest, as much as we’ve felt some pain in the last decade, we’ve still 3 major trophies to our name in the Emirates era.

Hardly a gamble that failed..
You'll be in a better position to decide, and if Arsenal fans are happy with how things currently stand, then who am I to judge, and the gamble obviously didn't fail.

As an outsider looking in, though, it seemed a balance needed to be struck between investing in the team and investing in the new stadium. I think eventually the team was neglected and you ended up sliding down the table as a result. I realise it's not as completely binary as that - and other factors were at play - but this is the balance Spurs are now needing to strike. And we'll see in time whether they succeeded or not. It doesn't look grand so far, but we are only 10 games into a season and they, like Arsenal, will be playing a long game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Seems I have been right all along about the debt,
An absolute farce!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I guess the question now is, can Eriksen and Coutinho play together and will Kane & Bale get Real back on track ? :angel:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The stadium has been made backwards but whatever way you slice it this could prove to be a grate move for the club. It was never going to be a piece of cake and the fans need to stick with the board because Spurs could brie toast if they continue to dick about much longer.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well, they're going better than the annual "Spurs will crash and burn" predictions made each summer for several years pasts.

The fans who want to just get to the match, watch it and get home as quickly as possible have never had any other choice, because the stadia they go to don't offer the facilities and attractions for doing otherwise. It's like saying that all customers buy black cars, but ignoring a situation where no car-company offers any other colours. As I've said, the club has looked into all this - particularly with regard to some stadia in the USA - and designed our new stadium accordingly.

The question of which stadium is/will be best is subjective - opinions will vary. Our new stadium won't be the biggest (tho' it will be the 2nd biggest), but in terms of the build quality, the facilities provided, the acoustic engineering, the single-tier stand and much much more, I believe it will be seen as the best by most visitors.
It's really not. It's like all companies offering all colours and 99.9% of people still buying black.

These past few pages are a car crash. You have no understanding of basic metrics of finance and economics. You twist things beyond belief.

Facts
- Spurs are soon to have an open stadium that's going to be among the best in europe.
- Spurs have fcuked up the integrity of the league by the fcuked up build. (The league is also at fault for allowing this)

Everything else is noise. All fans of all clubs can admit the former. Nobody is arguing that.

All Spurs fans not admitting the latter are oxygen thieves.

I still maintain that Spurs will be docked points if they play matches at the new ground this season. Someone quote me by all means.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's really not. It's like all companies offering all colours and 99.9% of people still buying black.

These past few pages are a car crash. You have no understanding of basic metrics of finance and economics. You twist things beyond belief.

Facts
- Spurs are soon to have an open stadium that's going to be among the best in europe.
- Spurs have fcuked up the integrity of the league by the fcuked up build. (The league is also at fault for allowing this)

Everything else is noise. All fans of all clubs can admit the former. Nobody is arguing that.

All Spurs fans not admitting the latter are oxygen thieves.

I still maintain that Spurs will be docked points if they play matches at the new ground this season. Someone quote me by all means.
Do you mean should be? Because it appears the League will allow this without punishing Spurs.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Zero confidence that they'll meet the new deadline they've set. The stadium will end up being great, but this process has been farcical. This loan is just further proof - they'll really struggle with that sort of debt pay-off model.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Looking forward to Glaston explaining this one away.

CA$1 billion in the hole!!!

Epic!

Stadium looks great though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sounds a bit grim for Spurs. Their current stature/pull is pretty fleeting, as it relies on their current personell rather than a trophy cabinet or history of success. If they have short term cash problems things can take a bad turn very quickly if guys like Eriksen or Pochettino start to look for a way out, because they feel the club is stalling.

Lots of clubs have started to build new stadia with a cheerfull look at the future just to get "crushed" between interest payments and the cost of maintaining a competitive squad, it wouldn't be an original story.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Makes a mockery of the competition.
The “Optics” as they say, aren’t very appealing.

Looks very amateurish and reflects badly on the league as a whole.

It was a hugely ambitious timeline for such a project. Between their financial projections and build predictions they’ve really screwed their fans over.

IrishRick

I love this thread.

I am really looking forward to GlastonSpur explaining todays stadium new as a positive.

GlastonSpur you are pure unadulterated entertainment. Never change

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I love this thread.

I am really looking forward to GlastonSpur explaining todays stadium new as a positive.
What's to explain?

We now have loan facility of "up to £637m", which is an increase of up to £237m on the figure as of 18 months ago … not that necessarily all this money will be drawn down, but is available if required for cash-flow purposes. As of June 30th our net debt was £366m.

The predictions of financial ruin for Spurs are much like the endless predictions of mass player-exodus: wishful thinking based on nothing much.

Our income is booming, our profits are booming and the new stadium will boost our income even further. We will have debt to service, of course, but that's hardly a big problem given that our income is now close to the £400m per year threshold and will soon move beyond it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's really not. It's like all companies offering all colours and 99.9% of people still buying black....
No, because there is no stadium in the UK that provides anything even close to what Spurs will be offering in our new stadium. Up until now, the only colour on offer has been black.

acnumber9

Good luck with your massive debt. How long will it be before it hits the 1 billion pound mark? These chickens will come to roost eventually and when they do the MUFC fire-sale will begin
And your club is up to its eyeballs in an ever-growing debt of eye-watering proportions.
So the question is: how much of the money will be held back in view of their large debt?
Things can change: your debt can get bigger (it has), the financial climate generally can get worse (it has) and your interest payments can increase (they have).

It's mindless to simply assume that things will roll on regardless in the same way.
Btw, your wage costs may be healthy in relation to just turnover, but that doesn't make them healthy in terms of the whole financial picture, including debt.
The subject of debt is not "completely irrelevant" to the issue of club autonomy.

Problems in financing massive and rising debt = a degree of club control (autonomy) ceded to banks and other external bodies.
And I'm saying that, regardless of how your debt arose, the debt "chickens" eventually come home to roost ... as many clubs have found to their cost
You can talk all you want about huge sponsorship deals (etc), but you also still have a big debt
What's to explain?

We now have loan facility of "up to £637m", which is an increase of up to £237m on the figure as of 18 months ago … not that necessarily all this money will be drawn down, but is available if required for cash-flow purposes. As of June 30th our net debt was £366m.

The predictions of financial ruin for Spurs are much like the endless predictions of mass player-exodus: wishful thinking based on nothing much.

Our income is booming, our profits are booming and the new stadium will boost our income even further. We will have debt to service, of course, but that's hardly a big problem given that our income is now close to the £400m per year threshold and will soon move beyond it.
When did debt become not a bad thing? When Spurs have it obviously. You’re a parody.

cyberman

600m debt should be scary as feck for a club of Spurs size. No CL for a season or two would be disastrous which could trigger clauses in sponsorships etc.
What a shitshow, the only way this could have turned out worse is if it disappeared down a sinkhole.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
When did debt become not a bad thing? When Spurs have it obviously. You’re a parody.
Where have I said that debt is a good thing? I haven't … so all your hard work in obsessively trawling through my past posts falls flat on it's face.

What I have said is that Spurs are in very healthy financial shape, as our recent financial statement clearly shows ... and thus that our debts will be very manageable..

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
600m debt should be scary as feck for a club of Spurs size. No CL for a season or two would be disastrous which could trigger clauses in sponsorships etc.
What a shitshow, the only way this could have turned out worse is if it disappeared down a sinkhole.
Lol …

First we don't have a debt of £600m and may never do so - you confuse a loan facility with a loan. Second, this club "of Spurs size" currently - pending more up-to-date financial reports from other clubs - sits 8th in world football in terms of annual income … an income that will increase further due to our new stadium.

acnumber9

Where have I said that debt is a good thing? I haven't … so all your hard work in obsessively trawling through my past posts falls flat on it's face.

What I have said is that Spurs are in very healthy financial shape, as our recent financial statement clearly shows ... and thus that our debts will be very manageable..
Took all of about 2 minutes to find. You were happy to talk about how big a problem debt was back then. Now it’s not an issue. I particularly like the one where you dismiss huge sponsorship deals. If only we had a climbing wall.

There was plenty more predicting fire sales of United players too. Now it’s laughable to suggest Spurs may have issues. Like I said, you’re a parody.

cyberman

Lol …

First we don't have a debt of £600m and may never do so - you confuse a loan facility with a loan. Second, this club "of Spurs size" currently - pending more up-to-date financial reports from other clubs - sits 8th in world football in terms of annual income … an income that will increase further due to our new stadium.
Ill be honest Glaston, your financial reports thus far, and general positivity throughout the building process, have been so wide of the mark that Im going to assume it'll reach 600m since you're saying otherwise.
I'll make a prediction, I think Spurs will borrow even more on top of this. Especially if you fail to reach the top 4.