Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
New stadiums typically have a couple of practice events before the first full-size crowd, not just tours of the ground for supporters club members, or invitation only crowds for a mini match. Typically they have something like a U21 or a women's team match to check the routines, followed by a friendly or something to open up more of the grounds. Just ramping up the attendance in stages, first a couple of thousand, then twenty thousand, before getting to a full house.

It gives stadium staff, safety inspectors and everyone else a chance to find their way around and check things like how the doors and stairs need to be managed. Whether the PA system is set up correctly. What happens when all the food kiosks switch on their ovens. Boring stuff, but basic.

In August that gradual ramp up is a fairly easy thing to do. In March/April I think they'd have to do something pretty drastic to manage it - maybe even have a reduced gate at the first full match, or come up with a last minute friendly.

Incidentally, Spurs women play United women on the 31st March. What's the odds of that being the first practice match with not specially invited spectators. Too late for those early April fixtures, but then that's been the story so far really.

Siorac

I'm not saying the FA is to blame for the stadium being delayed, but they are the ones who are allowing Spurs to continually delay while we wait for it to be finished instead of saying that enough is enough, you are playing at Wembley this season. If United or any other club were building a new stadium and it was delayed, don't you think they would want to do what is in the best interest of the club and play there when it's finished?

I don't really see this as a problem other clubs have to deal with anyway, but maybe I am mistaken and it somehow negatively affect other clubs. The only losers in this delay is Spurs.
Yes, that is true and that is exactly what the FA should be saying. It's nonsense anyway that a club should have two different home venues in the same season. That should only happen in drastic cases (such as a club's own stadium not being fit for European games or something).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
To play in a new stadium is something special, everyone will be more nervous and there is probably also more pressure.......then the opening game would be a CL quarter-final (For Tottenham that is still something more special than for Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern Munich) and i believe for the Tottenham players it wouldn't feel like a home game (Of course Wembley doesn't feel like a real home stadium either but at least players/coaches/fans know the stadium now since 1 1/2 years).

To open the stadium in March against fecking Fulham or Crystal Palace or Newcastle is in my opinion a major difference as it would be against Real Madrid or Barca or Munich in a CL quarter-final......if Tottenham would struggle for results or/and performances at Wembley then i could understand a stadium change during the season

BUT Tottenham have done so well at Wembley and there is still everything possible in the PL/CL therefore i wouldn't risk that before August.

No one will laugh about Tottenham if they don't win the PL this season and are going out in the CL quarter-final if they are staying at Wembley for the rest of the season......but everyone will laugh about Tottenham if they are playing in the stadium in March and then they are struggling for results.

And to open the stadium in August with sunshine is anyway better than in March with awful rain ;)
My view is that Spurs would have a better chance of beating RM or Barca in the electric atmosphere of the opening game in our new stadium than we would at Wembley.

The stadium will open when it opens, but the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Trizy

Smart move. They'll get loads of money towards paying it off.

Rajma

Not the worst, Nike Hart Lane sounds quite catchy.

Most people will probably call it White Hart Lane regardless though.
Not really, most people will be calling it Nike stadium as everyone knows it's going to piss you guys off, it would have been different if you actually renamed the old ground.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As far as sponsors go Nike is pretty good and has a long affiliation with football and sport in general. Much more so than Etihad or Emirates

cyberman

Completely classless.
Any news on the money involved? I remember Glaston claiming it would double the current world record naming rights record or something stupid.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Not really, most people will be calling it Nike stadium as everyone knows it's going to piss you guys off.
Haha, well most Spurs fans then.

I would obviously prefer to not have to sell naming rights, but we're not in a situation to do that sadly. Seeing as we all knew we needed a stadium sponsor I am happy for it to be Nike over many others.

GeorgieBoy

Not really, most people will be calling it Nike stadium as everyone knows it's going to piss you guys off, it would have been different if you actually renamed the old ground.
Yep! Spurs fans will called it WHL. Everyone else, including pundits and the media, will refer to it as its actual name. The Nike Stadium.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Completely classless.
Any news on the money involved? I remember Glaston claiming it would double the current world record naming rights record or something stupid.

Is it? Everyone does this with a new stadium. We were always going to sell the naming rights, we're not absolutely loaded.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Is it? Everyone does this with a new stadium. We were always going to sell the naming rights, we're not absolutely loaded.
Imagine turning down hundreds of millions of pounds that you need for your expensive new stadium because it's "classless". It'd be like refusing to bang Scarlett Johannsen cause she tells you she's married... or something.

cyberman

It is in my opinion. Its too on the nose for my liking.
Not saying you shouldn't take the money mind you.

cyberman

Imagine turning down hundreds of millions of pounds that you need for your expensive new stadium because it's "classless". It'd be like refusing to bang Scarlett Johannsen cause she tells you she's married... or something.
Exactly what it is, isn't it?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol: Exactly, we need the fecking money.

cyberman

Thank you for your words of support.
Well I didn't say they should turn down the money and now Spurs have denied that's even what it will be called so maybe Spurs themselves want something with a bit more gravitas to it?
Nice to talk around my point, misunderstand a simple two words, and mock it with a shit analogy I suppose..
#I'moverreacting

steakpie

Does anyone else think they should just wait until next season to play the first game there? Spurs fans?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well I didn't say they should turn down the money and now Spurs have denied that's even what it will be called so maybe Spurs themselves want something with a bit more gravitas to it?
Nice to talk around my point, misunderstand a simple two words, and mock it with a shit analogy I suppose..
#overreaction
Classless was a pretty weird word to use though, there's nothing classless about them selling the naming rights, every club does it, it makes financial sense and nobody out there will look down on them for it. The analogy was just a piss take.

acnumber9

Completely classless.
That was only a conservative estimate though.

cyberman

Classless was a pretty weird word to use though, there's nothing classless about them selling the naming rights, every club does it, it makes financial sense and nobody out there will look down on them for it. The analogy was just a piss take.
I was being sarcastic with my reply buddy. It's just classless to me and if we expand the trend it can get a bit silly. Imagine going to the Adiddas stdium a week after going to the Nike stadium followed by a trip to the Puma bowl.
Im sure there's some way to work White Hart Lane into it, maybe double barrell it or something. Have the Nike name on the broadcasts but its refereed to WHL in conversation. Just something.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
Does anyone else think they should just wait until next season to play the first game there? Spurs fans?
Nope, the sooner the better, I cannot wait, we are going home.

UEFA are inspecting the stadium today, no builders at all on site.

Highy likely our CL QF will be the The Lane, yeah!