Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s a modern sporting venue, with all the ancillary amenities and attractions you get as standard in American sporting venues. Places where 80% of the crowd go for the socializing, and 20% are purely there for the game. It’s all very well put together, commercial, smoothly run, and....superficial. It all makes sense given it’ll be an NFL venue.

But it’s not a football stadium in the way we’ve traditionally thought of football stadiums. It’s a multi purpose sporting and event venue, that hosts a football team. Is it a better stadium than Old Trafford? Definitely, in so many ways. It’s brand new. OT is about a hundred years old. Do I wish United had a stadium venue just like it (obviously bigger though)? Definitely not. It’s a charmless place that speaks to every overly saturated commercial trend of modern life, without having any revolutionary architectural innovations. Obviously a club gains a lot when they do this, but you also loose something too. Something important.

If United end up building a new stadium, I hope it is purpose and purely built as a football stadium. Not as a bowling alley, entertainment plaza, and NFL venue. Very few stadium rebuilds get this right. I think Bayern did it with the Allianz arena. I’m struggling to think of others. Obviously Spurs are attempting to make themselves as commercially relevant as possible, and get a seat at the high table. And adding all the tacky glam, and diluting partnerships is part of that strategy. But the stakes are different for United. United’s reputation and legend is leagues above, and the club shouldn’t do anything to dilute that core message.
I couldn't have said it better.

Bocca9978

Yeah … better seats, better acoustics, huge video screens, better sight lines, better sound system, live bands, DJs, craft beer, good food, variety of choices to suit all palates, universal wifi, safe standing in the both the single tier stand and in the away section … it's all a terrible burden for the average fan to have to suffer.

But then I guess the cracking atmosphere pitch-side will offer some small compensation.
Has that been approved to start? I thought it was still just an idea.
Every club should be doing this imo.

Edit: just seen people standing in places with bars in front of them on the news.
Hope other clubs follow.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s a modern sporting venue, with all the ancillary amenities and attractions you get as standard in American sporting venues. Places where 80% of the crowd go for the socializing, and 20% are purely there for the game. It’s all very well put together, commercial, smoothly run, and....superficial. It all makes sense given it’ll be an NFL venue.

But it’s not a football stadium in the way we’ve traditionally thought of football stadiums. It’s a multi purpose sporting and event venue, that hosts a football team. Is it a better stadium than Old Trafford? Definitely, in so many ways. It’s brand new. OT is about a hundred years old. Do I wish United had a stadium venue just like it (obviously bigger though)? Definitely not. It’s a charmless place that speaks to every overly saturated commercial trend of modern life, without having any revolutionary architectural innovations. Obviously a club gains a lot when they do this, but you also loose something too. Something important.

If United end up building a new stadium, I hope it is purpose and purely built as a football stadium. Not as a bowling alley, entertainment plaza, and NFL venue. Very few stadium rebuilds get this right. I think Bayern did it with the Allianz arena. I’m struggling to think of others. Obviously Spurs are attempting to make themselves as commercially relevant as possible, and get a seat at the high table. And adding all the tacky glam, and diluting partnerships is part of that strategy. But the stakes are different for United. United’s reputation and legend is leagues above, and the club shouldn’t do anything to dilute that core message.
Eh you are talking about a club that sells everything they can and puts it's players in spaceships in ads. If you got a new stadium it would be exactly the same as ours.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Football's soul resides a lot in the atmosphere at matches. I've no doubt at all, that with 62k+ fans packed in, including the 17k single tier stand, and with the specially engineered acoustics, the atmosphere will be second to none.

"But the best news is that this feels like a real football ground, a cauldron: imposing and extravagant, yes, but still true to Tottenham Hotspur’s spirit and raison d'être." The Daily Telegraph.

As for food and drink prices, these don't seem too bad to me: https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/new-tottenham-stadium-how-much-16008978

For example: Pint of Heineken £4.50. Is it cheaper anywhere else in London?
Looking at the pictures in that link, you could be at a shopping centre food court, not a football stadium.
The place looks good but lacking any sort of soul at the moment, that may change in the future though although with the cost of it, the football side of life may well go downhill. Levy isn't renowned for spending big and having to cover the cost of this place is going to make him even more tight

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Has that been approved to start? I thought it was still just an idea.
Every club should be doing this imo.

Edit: just seen people standing in places with bars in front of them on the news.
Hope other clubs follow.
Anyone can put rail seating in. It's just a different type of seat to what is in most stadia. The law says that people are not allowed to stand, so as long as the seats aren't locked in the up position, they're ok to use.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Juventus did as well imo. And dare I say Liverpool is doing it the right way staying at Anfield and expanding its capacity rather than building a new stadium, I'd hate that.

Ban

Juventus did as well imo. And dare I say Liverpool is doing it the right way staying at Anfield and expanding its capacity rather than building a new stadium, I'd hate that.
United will do the same. OT will get renovated. Fekin NFL and DJs, who cares about stuff like that. I guess they're imagining that stadium like a place for a night out. Spurs lost? Oh well let's go to a cheese bar and dance to music of well known DJs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not gonna lie, it looks gorgeous.

Plus £3.50 for a pie isn't too bad either.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Looking at the pictures in that link, you could be at a shopping centre food court, not a football stadium.
The place looks good but lacking any sort of soul at the moment, that may change in the future though although with the cost of it, the football side of life may well go downhill. Levy isn't renowned for spending big and having to cover the cost of this place is going to make him even more tight
The argument that providing a range of facilities for fans makes the stadium less of a football stadium strikes me as old-fashioned. Would it suddenly become more of a football stadium if the food options were limited to pies, chips and pints?

You say "Levy isn't renowned for spending big". However, he's just spent £1 billion on the new stadium and training centre - does that spending not count, or is only transfer fee spending important?

You imply that transfer spending is going to be even more restricted because of stadium debt to repay. However, the new stadium is going to generate around £100m extra revenue per year compared to WHL … and we will not be making £100m debt payments each year.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Does it have a shooting range and ten pin alley Glaston? I know when I go to watch a match I like to have my $10 craft beer, do some ten pin bowling, then practice my pistol accuracy. Followed up by some cheese hand crafted in the Sicilian countryside and michelin chef meals crafted from the crocus plants growing on the slopes of mt Ararat. After which I can go dancing and shop for a new rolex.

It's a football stadium, why does it need all these facilities? Surely they have to be relevant to the event at hand. It's like organising a SCUBA diving tour and they include flame thrower operation and use classes, Malaysian basket weaving presentation and an MLG Starcraft tournament.

People want to attend the event, then as soon as the game is over be on their way home. Food is good to have but who wants to pay $50 for a Michelin star meal? Punters will be happy with a $5 pie and a local beer. I will grant some things I do agree with, connectivity is convenient, the engineering of the acoustics adds directly to the atmosphere. Toilets are also handy to have and ease of egress and ingress into the stadium, sufficient parking and thoroughfares etc. But dancing, cheese rooms?
At most football stadia people have little choice, so how do you know what they'd want given the options? And nor is a question of just after the game, it's also about before the game.

Let me give you just one example: some people will spend hours and hours in a pub that shows several football matches throughout the day on a big screen TV.

However, the Spurs stadium has 1,800 HD TVs installed and will be open for hours before any Spurs match kicks off and hours afterwards. Why is it so difficult to imagine that some Spurs fans will choose to spend the day at the new stadium, where they can mix with thousands of other Spurs fans, watching those other football games on one of the many TVs available, all with a wide range of food and drink options available?

People always scoff when a new approach is taken. But in a year's time, when they see the extra income that Spurs are making from the stadium compared to others, and when they see that the wide facilities available don't detract one iota from the cracking pitch-side atmosphere come game-time, many of those same people will be having a 2nd think.

PS. There's no shooting range or ten pin alley. But there is/will be an extreme sports centre, including Europe’s highest climbing wall and a seven-storey diving tank. But don't worry, there's also a community medical centre with a GP's surgery for those who come a cropper.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
At most football stadia people have little choice, so how do you know what they'd want given the options? And nor is a question of just after the game, it's also about before the game.

Let me give you just one example: some people will spend hours and hours in a pub that shows several football matches throughout the day on a big screen TV.

However, the Spurs stadium has 1,800 HD TVs installed and will be open for hours before any Spurs match kicks off and hours afterwards. Why is it so difficult to imagine that some Spurs fans will choose to spend the day at the new stadium, where they can mix with thousands of other Spurs fans, watching those other football games on one of the many TVs available, all with a wide range of food and drink options available?

People always scoff when a new approach is taken. But in a year's time, when they see the extra income that Spurs are making from the stadium compared to others, and when they see that the wide facilities available don't detract one iota from the cracking pitch-side atmosphere come game-time, many of those same people will be having a 2nd think.

PS. There's no shooting range or ten pin alley. But there is/will be an extreme sports centre, including Europe’s highest climbing wall and a seven-storey diving tank. But don't worry, there's also a community medical centre with a GP's surgery for those who come a cropper.
It actually annoys me people coming in late to the game. Pushing past people as the game kicks off. They wonder why there is no atmospere. The ones abroad with the best atmosphere, the fans are in well before k.o. and are ramping the noise up. Also OT needs better food courts, not bothered about some of the stuff in your stadium. Not everyone can afford hospitality packages, so a wide range of food courts would be nice. People have travelled a long way and if it is chucking it down, might actually want the option of good food inside the stadium. Pies and hotdogs/burgers are not exactly imaginative.

raggy

Supports
Spurs

From The Guardian article;
It is the closeness of the seats to the pitch and the associated feeling of intimacy that echoes White Hart Lane. The distances from the front row to the touchline range from 4.9 metres to 7.9 metres and the stands have a vertiginous feel – mainly because the incline is set at up to 35 degrees; the highest permissible under British standards. Everything is geared towards the optics and acoustics
It's a football stadium in the most important ways to fans. Everything is geared to getting the fans as close as possible to the action and the atmosphere as loud as possible. Giving the fans fun places to congregate inside is 'superficial'?

What a strange hang-up the club could have easily painted the walls grey and had the most boring food vendors with no variety. Most fans appreciate the effort.

Pagh Wraith

I'm not that impressed. I really like the exterior but on the inside it looks like a dozen of other modern stadiums.

I've been to a number of stadiums including iconic and modern ones. Never felt the need to stick around after the match in any of them. I go there to watch a game of football and that's it. So all these extra features don't really concern me. Although I understand some might like it.

Sylar

It looks excellent. Saying that Emirates looked fantastic as well when it opened (it still does) but the atmosphere wasnt the same. Obviously for big games it is, but it will be interesting to see what its like for the 'lesser' games.

I do think Spurs fans are better than Arsenal fans (and moan less) - maybe cos they arent used to success?
Im a huge NFL fan and have a season ticket when they come to London so am defo looking forward to going to the stadium for that.

Ludens the Red

Pitchside looks great, I like how it’s tight and together. Do plan on a visit in the pre season. Then again you’d wanna go for a bigger game to soak in the atmosphere. So will attempt to attend one of the bigger games.

I’m not sure why over the last three/four pages our resident Spurs fan has felt the need to justify all this ‘other stuff’. I mean really did he actually say you can get to “dance”.
Is he actually typing these things? Dj’s? Live bands? Universal WiFi? Seriously, who fecking cares? What weird fecking shit to be hyping up.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@GlastonSpur do you work for spurs? Such detailed replies about the facilities and how much they benefit spurs, I havnt seen you point to one down side, you’re like a pr advert.

As for the stadium, what a load of shit, I can imagine all the Cartier, Rolex etc stores laid out in there, and if it’s not there already it’s only a matter of time.

I think bigger concourses and more food options for before the game are a good idea, old Trafford could use this to an advantage, especially since sam platts closed, I know a lot now go to hotel football instead or taxi out to different pubs. There could be potential here for OT to maybe use.

As for after the game, feck that. The only benefit I can see of it is hopefully some idiots want to stay behind and dance, drink craft beer and will make the street and roads quieter while leaving the stadium for the rest of us.

Zoo

The sight lines are very good and that south stand is impressive though that doesn't mean that they will now replicate Dortmund's yellow wall.

The 4 giant screens makes it look tacky though.

DomesticTadpole

The sight lines are very good and that south stand is impressive though that doesn't mean that they will now replicate Dortmund's yellow wall.

The 4 giant screens makes it look tacky though.
I like that yellow wall idea. Would love something like that at OT. All the singers and flag wavers together. It is sad when people want to sing and others tell them to pipe down. Why should they be quiet. Is John Motson doing a commentary and they might miss something?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Congratulations to Spurs on a great new stadium.

Hoping Old Trafford gets a face-lift in the near future too.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@GlastonSpur do you work for spurs? Such detailed replies about the facilities and how much they benefit spurs, I havnt seen you point to one down side, you’re like a pr advert.

As for the stadium, what a load of shit, I can imagine all the Cartier, Rolex etc stores laid out in there, and if it’s not there already it’s only a matter of time.

I think bigger concourses and more food options for before the game are a good idea, old Trafford could use this to an advantage, especially since sam platts closed, I know a lot now go to hotel football instead or taxi out to different pubs. There could be potential here for OT to maybe use.

As for after the game, feck that. The only benefit I can see of it is hopefully some idiots want to stay behind and dance, drink craft beer and will make the street and roads quieter while leaving the stadium for the rest of us.
Compared to the old stadium there is no downside (apart from the increased club borrowing needed to help fund it). It's better in every way.

If you regard the new stadium as " load of shit", then of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I’d love it if they somehow rebuilt old Trafford to look the same, but have all those fancy features and sleek look. Imagine

DomesticTadpole

I’d love it if they somehow rebuilt old Trafford to look the same, but have all those fancy features and sleek look. Imagine
Problem with OT it is a hotchpotch of stands. So if they could do it with a bit more of a uniform look, but with major refurbishments to facilities inside. Better legroom and seating for a start.