Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Security is probably a big reason. Moreover you can keep track much more precisely of stock and money. Hopefully there's enough warnings for people who visit the stadium that it's cashless otherwise I can see there being a shitload of arguments.
Quicker, better for the customer, but more importantly for them - more people served. And likely more people going to buy stuff. I don't even bother at OT but if I knew there'd be no queue I might.

finneh

He should also factor in that a fair bit of that extra income will probably be wiped out by the huge loan they're taking out to finance the stadium. No doubt in the long term it will pay off and it is a fantastic new stadium In the short it won't be quite as simple as an extra £50m-£100m per year in the bank. Costs have spiralled out of control, their debt close to 650m. The stadium is projected to have cost well over £1bn by the time everything is all done, originally was suppose to be £400m but there have been some changes and obviously completely cocked up their figures.
Their stadium has been a huge victim of the sunk cost fallacy. The further they've invested the more commited they've been without thinking of cost or payback. Had their board been told 5 years ago that the cost would have been £1b they'd have laughed it off as a ridiculous white elephant.

In truth they're so fortunate they've had Pochettino. In any normal situation their lack of investment in their squad this last few years would have cost them 4-5 CL qualifications and rendered the build non-viable.

Don't get me wrong it's a phenomenal stadium. However it's one of the most fiscally irresponsible decisions I've seen. In an environment where finances are less and less focused and contingent on physically being at football matches, they've leveraged a 15 year pay back on a £1b investment.

I disagree that in the long term it'll pay off. The future isn't match day revenue, every top teams revenue balance is patently angled now towards commercial revenue. Which is the area that Levy has completely ignored in pursuit of his £1b vanity "Daniel Levy Stadium".

CallyRed

They're waiting on a sponsor - until then it'll just be called the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium or something along those lines. Sponsor was rumoured to be Nike but Spurs denied it.
Been told by a colleague who used to work at the PL, that he has it on good authority that Nike will be the stadium sponsor.

Suedesi

It's not really about "euphoria". Instead it's about the fact the stadium complex contains so many facilities and features - some of which aren't even open yet - to attract fans into going early and staying afterwards.

This is coupled with open-access that allows Spurs fans to wander at will throughout all areas (except the away section of course). It would take 8 hours just to walk around it all, with places to eat, drink, dance, watch earlier or later football matches on HD TV (etc.) all over. It's pretty clear to me that a great many fans will spend a lot more time in the stadium, which in turn will translate to additional club income.

The experiences you cite are those of fan not at their home ground and not at stadiums which have even remotely the same number, variety and quality of facilities as those available at Spurs new stadium.

The approach that Spurs have taken in this vein will be a game changer … and soon every club will be wishing they could follow suit IMO.

Jesus H Christ you sound cringey AF. Most stadiums stateside have the open access feature you speak of (in NY area alone: the Yankee stadium, Citi Field, Arthur Ashe, MetLife, RedBull Arena) it's not like you reinvented the wheel.

You're just going crazy over a nothingburgher.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I like the stadium and I can see where they’re going with the facilities. People need to remember that fan culture changes over time and younger generations will be more open to this layout. We’ll see how it catches on over the years.

Suedesi

Looks like a great stadium, no doubt. I live in the US at the moment for work and the spacious concourse levels and bar areas in particular look a lot like the big stadiums over here.

In the US I've been to plenty of NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS games (and college games) in various cities and stadiums and those concourses are busy immediately before game (not for hours beforehand) and also during games too (due to all the stoppages in US sports). But I've never seen anyone hang around after games, it's a mass exodus to the turnstiles just like at UK football games. Time will tell I guess but I don't think it's the culture in the UK really, we like to get in and out as soon as we can, so I don't really see it being a massive game-changer in terms of increased revenue.
Of course - and most people prefer to tailgate outside the stadium

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Jesus H Christ you sound cringey AF. Most stadiums stateside have the open access feature you speak of (in NY area alone: the Yankee stadium, Citi Field, Arthur Ashe, MetLife, RedBull Arena) it's not like you reinvented the wheel.

Spurs stadium is a gamechanger alright, not knowing they’re taking Yank ideas :lol:

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Their stadium has been a huge victim of the sunk cost fallacy. The further they've invested the more commited they've been without thinking of cost or payback. Had their board been told 5 years ago that the cost would have been £1b they'd have laughed it off as a ridiculous white elephant.

In truth they're so fortunate they've had Pochettino. In any normal situation their lack of investment in their squad this last few years would have cost them 4-5 CL qualifications and rendered the build non-viable.

Don't get me wrong it's a phenomenal stadium. However it's one of the most fiscally irresponsible decisions I've seen. In an environment where finances are less and less focused and contingent on physically being at football matches, they've leveraged a 15 year pay back on a £1b investment.

I disagree that in the long term it'll pay off. The future isn't match day revenue, every top teams revenue balance is patently angled now towards commercial revenue. Which is the area that Levy has completely ignored in pursuit of his £1b vanity "Daniel Levy Stadium".
Except that football revenue was not the only thing on Levy's mind. The development project includes hotels, housings, retail spaces, and etc. Quoting from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumberland_Development_Project

AJ10

:lol::lol::lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

We're not stateside. We're talking about stadia in the EPL. And in that context the Spurs stadium is breaking new ground in a number of different ways.

Saffron

And in that context the Spurs stadium is breaking new ground in a number of different ways.
But not in a cheese way. Such a wasted opportunity. You could have had the first EPL stadium with a cheese room!

The_Captain

Supports
Tottenham
I think the main reason that Spurs fans have been emotional about returning home is down to the essence of being a football fan that attends their club week in, week out; the familiar sights, sounds and smells that instinctively conjure up memories. Like a few of you have said, you wouldn't change OT for a shiny new stadium, and for many Spurs fans it was with a heavy heart that we left WHL. The overwhelming feeling that fans have got coming back though is that, after nearly two years away, with niggling doubts that it might not be the same as the old stadium even though it's shiny and new, and bigger and better, it somehow manages to still feel like WHL did.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
A lot of jealousy on here. It's a beautiful stadium, fair play to them.
It is a nice looking stadium from the pictures I have seen online, im just a bit bewildered by all the anti curricular activities. And whether people will actually make use of those facilities. Coming from Australia you go to the ground to watch the match, you dont buy the $7 light beers or the $6 pies, you pre load at the pub down the road. Then afterwards you go back to the pub and go home, grab a kebab in transit(chilli and garlic sauce).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Glaston is absolutely crushing the last level of SIM Stadium. He's on for the high score no doubt.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

You really are so ignorant of the actual facts.

Even if, for arguments sake, your cited "1 billion" figure was correct, it would actually relate to the overall Northumberland Park project (not just the stadium), which includes a hotel and nearly 600 new homes.

And the "stadium" is actually a stadium complex, which includes much more than the just stadium itself.

9 months ago, Donna-Maria Cullen, Spurs executive director, cited the total cost of the stadium itself as £350-400 million. Even if costs have risen since then, and likely they have due to the delay, that's a long way short of "£1 billion".

Your problem is that you believe every hysterical headline in the media … and then base your silly predictions of financial disaster on them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes, if I can get tickets … which is a problem because demand for most games far outstrips supply.
Yes initally but it will wear off particularly if you go back to 6th-7th in league which could easily happen if key players leave. Spurs could feasibly still finish 6th this season after all.

I can't really see Spurs getting 60k for a league cup or FA cup tie. Arsenal get nowhere near that figure anymore and their league attendances have declined so much last 5-6 years.

Problem for Spurs is they've been on such an upward curve last 5 years and barely lost any key players it will be interesting to see how things pan out when that starts to happen.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The Americanisation of football is fully underway.

Now when we have 30 minute halves / 15 minute quarters and time stoppages with adverts during VAR and not non stop action, people can mill about drinking craft beer and listening to DJs instead in the entertainment complex section or whatever it’s called.

Aside from all that, the 4 pictures of the actual seating side of the stadium I’ve seen in this thread, it looks quite good.

The best thing with modern stadiums is the seating spacing. It’s so fecking cramped in OT. I assume this new spurs stadium will have spacious seating.
What’s the seating space stats @GlastonSpur ?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The Americanisation of football is fully underway.

Now when we have 30 minute halves / 15 minute quarters and time stoppages with adverts during VAR and not non stop action, people can mill about drinking craft beer and listening to DJs instead in the entertainment complex section or whatever it’s called.

Aside from all that, the 4 pictures of the actual seating side of the stadium I’ve seen in this thread, it looks quite good.

The best thing with modern stadiums is the seating spacing. It’s so fecking cramped in OT. I assume this new spurs stadium will have spacious seating.
What’s the seating space stats @GlastonSpur ?
Note sure, but the Daily Mail reported a while back that:

"Seats have got bigger and so has the amount of legroom fans will get. The legroom will vary but there will be a minimum of 780millimetres in the south stand, 800mm in the north stand upper and 858mm in the north stand upper.

The size of seats will be a minimum of 470mm, a lot bigger when compared with White Hart Lane's 455-460mm."

Skills

Snitch
He should also factor in that a fair bit of that extra income will probably be wiped out by the huge loan they're taking out to finance the stadium. No doubt in the long term it will pay off and it is a fantastic new stadium In the short it won't be quite as simple as an extra £50m-£100m per year in the bank. Costs have spiralled out of control, their debt close to 650m. The stadium is projected to have cost well over £1bn by the time everything is all done, originally was suppose to be £400m but there have been some changes and obviously completely cocked up their figures.
:eek::eek::eek:

I think our debt at it's worst was £720m and though we make a lot more money, we seriously tightened the purse strings in the first 7 or so years after the take over.

Frank Grimes

It is a nice looking stadium from the pictures I have seen online, im just a bit bewildered by all the anti curricular activities. And whether people will actually make use of those facilities. Coming from Australia you go to the ground to watch the match, you dont buy the $7 light beers or the $6 pies, you pre load at the pub down the road. Then afterwards you go back to the pub and go home, grab a kebab in transit(chilli and garlic sauce).
Agree, I'm talking merely as a stadium to watch football it's beautiful, who gives a hoot about the amenities bar the really simple folk.

stnrlgc

And there was a big hoopla over the New Yankee Stadium. And just because open access features are prominent in the states has no bearing on their availability/paradigm shift over there. How or why is this hard to understand? Is the jealousy blinding you that badly? I can't imagine being so small and petty as to be concerned about someone else's shiny new toy. Some folks in here are embarrassing themselves.

Suedesi

And there was a big hoopla over the New Yankee Stadium. And just because open access features are prominent in the states has no bearing on their availability/paradigm shift over there. How or why is this hard to understand? Is the jealousy blinding you that badly? I can't imagine being so small and petty as to be concerned about someone else's shiny new toy. Some folks in here are embarrassing themselves.
Yeah, I'm very jealous about Spurs' new stadium. :houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why the feck would anyone be jealous of a stadium when it's not a game changer?

Jealous of having players like Kane and coach like Poch? Yeah. Superb talents.
Jealous of having reputation like Madrid, Barca and how much attractive they are for all the talents in the world? Yeah, without doubt.
Jealous of Bayern, Juventus for how dominant they are in their leagues? Without doubt.
Jealous of City for playing superb football and having a coach like Pep and a wealthy owner? Yeah

Jealous of Spurs stadium? Exactly for what reason? For fans enjoying pint after game and have some space for dancing? :lol:
If anything I'm jealous that English clubs have such a soulless atmosphere compared to Germany and in Italian derby games.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Say what you like about Spurs but I'm pretty sure Levy knows what he's doing when it comes to finances.

Ban

Oh look, we have a baby Glaston here.

Judas

Open to offers
I didn't realise how much of a meme this new stadium was everywhere, all over the place people are laughing at Spurs and their new magical ground :lol: it's not just football fans either. It's all got a bit over the top.

Carolina Red

Staff

Mes que un stadium

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

You're totally right. Levy has been proven to be notoriously bad at making financial decisions and Tottenham have gone from financial issue to financial issue during his tenure.

As for match day revenue, Arsenal for instance have a match day revenue of 100 million (in the EL) and this is 25% of their overall revenue. That is not a small percentage. At all.

This stadium may not get us to compete but one thing is for certain. We were never ever going to compete at the top on a long term basis at WHL.

@JazzG I'm not sure where you got those figures from. The new financial statement may show something different but the official financial statement from last year showed we had a net debt of £366 million.