Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Great 2 minute video released by the club ahead of our first Prem game tomorrow in the new stadium:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...t-clubs-world-vs-crystal-palace-a8851586.html

Daniel Levy said:
The true cost of the stadium we don’t really know at this time as we continue making various improvements but it is of that order [£1bn]
But Glaston told us it was a long way short of £1 billion? Surely as Spurs' official PR man he can't have been wrong?

You really are so ignorant of the actual facts.

Even if, for arguments sake, your cited "1 billion" figure was correct, it would actually relate to the overall Northumberland Park project (not just the stadium), which includes a hotel and nearly 600 new homes.

And the "stadium" is actually a stadium complex, which includes much more than the just stadium itself.

9 months ago, Donna-Maria Cullen, Spurs executive director, cited the total cost of the stadium itself as £350-400 million. Even if costs have risen since then, and likely they have due to the delay, that's a long way short of "£1 billion".

Your problem is that you believe every hysterical headline in the media … and then base your silly predictions of financial disaster on them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Love the mass end behind the goal, think that's a brilliant "different" aspect compared to all the other new builds which are all three tier identkit in style. Looking forward to seeing if you can really get a great atmosphere going in that area.

Problem as I've said is all those dark seats, just makes things look a bit dull. Milton Keynes ground is very similar. Where are the white and blue seats, those are your colours after all.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine one night the pitch just starts retracting whilst spurs are playing a crucial league game, a bit like like when the sprinklers accidentally come on at a regular football ground.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Its a beautiful stadium but I still miss how close the original white hart lane was to the pitch and just how nice that stadium was as well.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

GazTheLegend

There was a lot of talk about it on the radio etc last night.

Generally major platitudes like “it’s the best stadium in the world now” and suchlike were used. Having (of course) not been yet myself, but having been to the Maracana, Old Trafford and Wembley I can’t see it even being in the top 3.

But I’m absolutely willing to hear reasons that it is.

Apparently they’ve made the away dressing rooms terrible, which is so ridiculously petty and Wimbledonesque.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Could have done with a few more panning shots of the cock on the roof.... 12 wasn't enough.
I would have preferred some more of those poorly framed shots that don't quite show you the entirety of what they're showing you.

Shit hype video and press releases aside, the stadium looks gorgeous. But it's a new stadium so it's not surprising.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Can any Spurs fans help me out here, surely Tottenham just rent units out in the stadium, so empty or full they dont make anymore money as the rent they charge is fixed?

Now I'm not sure how many units there are to rent out, it's a clever little way of making more money having businesses in there, but you wont be making money from the food and drink those businesses sell, just the monthly rent right?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There was a lot of talk about it on the radio etc last night.

Generally major platitudes like “it’s the best stadium in the world now” and suchlike were used. Having (of course) not been yet myself, but having been to the Maracana, Old Trafford and Wembley I can’t see it even being in the top 3.

But I’m absolutely willing to hear reasons that it is.

Well, the media certainly like it:

The Guardian: "... the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is an astonishing place, a giant, reverberating ball of air in a fine steel and glass case. It is a wonderfully open thing too, reaching up to the moon on all sides, but somehow also airy and uplifting."

Daily Telegraph: "The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – or whatever it will be called once the naming rights are sold – is more than a new stadium. … that name should be the Wow Stadium … the best on the market."

* The Daily Mirror: "How it compares to other stadiums: The best by far!"

* The Guardian: "One word: Wow. … it was to be expected the 62,062-seater venue would raise the bar – and it has done so spectacularly."

* BBC MoTD Mag: "Spurs’ new stadium is from the year 3000".

* Ian Abrahams (TalkSport): “This is the best stadium in this country, and best I have seen on my travels around the world."

Sky Sports: "The stadium is spectacular, its curving stands steep and imposing, but where the club have succeeded most is by creating so many genuine connections to White Hart Lane. … The new home retains the spirit and feel of the old one, but what's undoubtedly different is the sheer volume inside the place. With its 62,000 capacity, the stadium holds nearly twice as many supporters as White Hart Lane. At times, the old songs echoed around it at ear-splitting levels."

The Independent: "... stunning aesthetics and attention to detail …"

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It looks brilliant, like they have really thought about the optimum experience and atmosphere for football.

Great decision by Spurs to do this - just look at what West Ham fans have to put up with.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Friend went last night.

They waited around for an additional 90 minutes after the game...

Doubled the capacity. Done close to feck all about the transport links. He was stuck in the cold waiting to get home.

Levy is a genius?

Camilo

Friend went last night.

Doubled the capacity. Done close to feck all about the transport links. He was stuck in the cold waiting to get home.

Levy is a genius?
They'll sort it all out quickly enough. These big one off projects always have issues to sort.

Looks cracking.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What's the title about? 'Test events'? Was the Palace game a friendly?

klsv

Looks a lot less egg-like than Emirates, Estadio da Luz and Etihad. Still a lot of these new and renewed stadiums look too much alike for me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They'll sort it all out quickly enough. These big one off projects always have issues to sort.

Looks cracking.
It's not in a great place for public transport but they might be redoing WHL Station and building a walkway to the ground. Otherwise its just going to be a lot more traffic for the people of Tottenham.

Trizy

I think with holding onto Poch (Madrid and United got sorted internally), opening a new fantastic stadium, now is the time for the owners to show the club what their true ambition is and enter the market guns blazing to sign what ever they need.

Next year could really be the year Spurs get out of Chelsea and Arsenal's shadow and overtake them.

Penycwm

Supports
Newport County
I bet Harry was gutted that he didn't score first.
According to TalkSport the biggest complaint was about a 20 min journey to get to the toilets at half time....oh and they ran out of beer, which seems strange as they have their own brewery.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Looks cracking.
I don’t think anyone has ever said a bad word about the stadium.

I thought they’d have massively increased transport links as part of the renovation. They doubled capacity.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There's talk of staging an Anthony Joshua boxing match at our new stadium - which if it happened would be the 3rd type of non-football sporting event to be hosted there, alongside the agreed Rugby Union and NFL deals.

GazTheLegend

Well, the media certainly like it:

The Guardian: "... the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is an astonishing place, a giant, reverberating ball of air in a fine steel and glass case. It is a wonderfully open thing too, reaching up to the moon on all sides, but somehow also airy and uplifting."

Daily Telegraph: "The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – or whatever it will be called once the naming rights are sold – is more than a new stadium. … that name should be the Wow Stadium … the best on the market."

* The Daily Mirror: "How it compares to other stadiums: The best by far!"

* The Guardian: "One word: Wow. … it was to be expected the 62,062-seater venue would raise the bar – and it has done so spectacularly."

* BBC MoTD Mag: "Spurs’ new stadium is from the year 3000".

* Ian Abrahams (TalkSport): “This is the best stadium in this country, and best I have seen on my travels around the world."

Sky Sports: "The stadium is spectacular, its curving stands steep and imposing, but where the club have succeeded most is by creating so many genuine connections to White Hart Lane. … The new home retains the spirit and feel of the old one, but what's undoubtedly different is the sheer volume inside the place. With its 62,000 capacity, the stadium holds nearly twice as many supporters as White Hart Lane. At times, the old songs echoed around it at ear-splitting levels."

The Independent: "... stunning aesthetics and attention to detail …"
Indeed...

That’s a lot of glowing praise. Hopefully it gives you a few happy memories but never at our expense of course.

I wonder if it’s giving the board of directors at Man Utd good for thought. Old Trafford is a wonderful place to play football and all but if you’re standing still you’re moving backwards in sporting terms.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Indeed...

That’s a lot of glowing praise. Hopefully it gives you a few happy memories but never at our expense of course.

I wonder if it’s giving the board of directors at Man Utd good for thought. Old Trafford is a wonderful place to play football and all but if you’re standing still you’re moving backwards in sporting terms.
You have to move forwards to stand still in football.
Hopefully we never leave OT, only update it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You have to move forwards to stand still in football.
Hopefully we never leave OT, only update it.
It’s can be very costly and time consuming updating than ou may think. It’s not something that could simply just be done in the off season. I love OT by the way, there is no missing what United have won and the history with it.

So did much people stick around last night out of interest? @GlastonSpur ?
I live in London, unlike @GlastonSpur and was on the tube with lots of Spurs fans last night @ about 18:30 - but maybe next time they will visit the stadium and enjoy the TVs in the early afternoon...

Friend went last night.

Levy is a genius?
That’s why people will start to leave in the 85th minute. Happens everywhere in London. Londoners just want to get home quickly. They won’t be visiting the Olive Garden after the match.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's talk of staging an Anthony Joshua boxing match at our new stadium - which if it happened would be the 3rd type of non-football sporting event to be hosted there, alongside the agreed Rugby Union and NFL deals.
Get 7 more and I think you can choose between a free coffee or a trophy.