Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I live in London, unlike @GlastonSpur and was on the tube with lots of Spurs fans last night @ about 18:30 - but maybe next time they will visit the stadium and enjoy the TVs in the early afternoon...

That’s why people will start to leave in the 85th minute. Happens everywhere in London. Londoners just want to get home quickly. They won’t be visiting the Olive Garden after the match.
Every big city I've seen is like that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It’s can be very costly and time consuming updating than ou may think. It’s not something that could simply just be done in the off season. I love OT by the way, there is no missing what United have won and the history with it.
Yeah, granted it wouldn't be cheap to update, but we've no need really to move in my opinion, just need to update certain parts of the stadium.
Liverpool managed it, Wolves managed it, however with our forward planning currently we may struggle!!!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Somehow managed to post record high profits.

If I were pochetino I'd be livid.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

You're in the thread that explains where most of the profits has gone. It's not like he hid the money somewhere, rather he invested in facilities.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Would he therefore be happier if, instead of making a world-record football club profit, Spurs had announced a world-record loss? Obviously he wouldn't be, since that would mean zero prospect of transfer funds in the summer.

You've thus artificially created a scenario in which his only mood states can only be either livid (Spurs make a profit) or unhappy (Spurs make a loss). But in fact I suggest he's neither.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Would he therefore be happier if, instead of making a world-record football club profit, Spurs had announced a world-record loss? Obviously he wouldn't be, since that would mean zero prospect of transfer funds in the summer.

You've thus artificially created a scenario in which his only mood states can only be either livid (Spurs make a profit) or unhappy (Spurs make a loss). But in fact I suggest he's neither.
What a ridiculous strawman.

I haven't constructed any such scenario. But in a season where spurs is the only team that has had no squad investment, where top four is in danger of sliding away, it must be galling to see the club post record profits. One would think a good amount of that could have been invested in the team without having to post "record losses" like you artificially postulated.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It’s even more exerbated in London. But that’s the point, people aren’t hanging around and spending money in the stadium - they are hot footing it home.
Your basing that on one game on a Wednesday night? Besides as far as I know he stadium will be open to the public on a daily basis so it’s not just match days. The transport network is going to improve.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Your basing that on one game on a Wednesday night? Besides as far as I know he stadium will be open to the public on a daily basis so it’s not just match days. The transport network is going to improve.
If the stadium is open all week around for the public, where are the turnstiles?
Are they inside the ground? So security checks are done inside the ground before concourse somewhere?
Is it open to the public on match days? Or only ticket holder entries?

Genuinely curious. It seems a lot to track when there’s tens of thousands possibly in and out of there

Edit: my knowledge of stadiums has always been turnstiles at the very entrance to the ground, show your tickets, have a pat down and then go in, then you can wander around concourse.
How on earth does this work if it’s open to the public. I can’t get my head around it

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

I haven't constructed any such scenario. But in a season where spurs is the only team that has had no squad investment, where top four is in danger of sliding away, it must be galling to see the club post record profits. One would think a good amount of that could have been invested in the team without having to post "record losses" like you artificially postulated.
As has already been pointed out, those profits have been re-invested back into various construction projects. It's hardly "galling" to know that, if not such large profits, the club would have needed to borrow a lot more money than it already has … in fact it's a cause for being glad that the club is so well run financially.

Some money has been spent on the footballing side of things - principally on improved contracts for some players and for Pochettino. But the more that was spent, the more the club would have needed to borrow. It's a question of balancing the short-term risks (e.g. not finishing in the top 4 this season) against the long-term risks (bigger club debt).

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

:lol: those were my first thoughts too. An extraordinary effort by Glaston there.

Dolf

Looks like a nice modern stadium but I don't see anything I haven't seen before. I'll give it a 7 out of 10. Maybe if you win some trophies in it in the next 10 years i'll give it 7.8 out of 10 for the added history.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Friend went last night.

They waited around for an additional 90 minutes after the game...

Doubled the capacity. Done close to feck all about the transport links. He was stuck in the cold waiting to get home.

Levy is a genius?
Sounds like your friend should have hit one of the many Spurs dance floors to warm up a bit while he waited.

I base it on my knowledge on London and what happens at every other stadium in the Capital. Honestly, very few people will go when there’s not a match on. A curious few might go once.

I base it on my knowledge on London and what happens at every other stadium in the Capital. Honestly, very few people will go when there’s not a match on. A curious few might go once.

The transport network won’t improve, this is TFL! That’s pie on the sky, make that statement to anyone in London and they will wet themselves!

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Can any Spurs fans help me out here, surely Tottenham just rent units out in the stadium, so empty or full they dont make anymore money as the rent they charge is fixed?

Now I'm not sure how many units there are to rent out, it's a clever little way of making more money having businesses in there, but you wont be making money from the food and drink those businesses sell, just the monthly rent right?
All of the vendors in our stadium are Spurs' own brands that we have created, so we take all of the revenue and we just pay a fee to the catering company.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
"concerns over sight-lines' sounds worse than not completely selling out a new stadium. If true than surely that's a major design flaw?
The statement says "those concerns proved unfounded".

AJ10

Really nice stadium but am i the only one who doesn't like the pitch.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Hmm, then why do they need to be "closely monitoring" one of those rows?
From a desire for perfection? The stadium has only just opened - one or two teething issues are to be expected don't you think?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It says unsold along with other reasons. I thought earlier in the thread you wasn’t going because it was a sell out and couldn’t get tickets. Are they hard to come by?
It was a sell-out and yes, they are hard, if not impossible, to come by.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If the stadium is open all week around for the public, where are the turnstiles?
Are they inside the ground? So security checks are done inside the ground before concourse somewhere?
Is it open to the public on match days? Or only ticket holder entries?

Genuinely curious. It seems a lot to track when there’s tens of thousands possibly in and out of there

Edit: my knowledge of stadiums has always been turnstiles at the very entrance to the ground, show your tickets, have a pat down and then go in, then you can wander around concourse.
How on earth does this work if it’s open to the public. I can’t get my head around it
I’d say there is more than one entrance, it’s early days and not everything is known. I know there are conference rooms so I doubt anyone attending for a business reason will have to go through the turnstiles.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’d say there is more than one entrance, it’s early days and not everything is known. I know there are conference rooms so I doubt anyone attending for a business reason will have to go through the turnstiles.
Yes I know there’s more than one entrance :) and that conference room attendees will have different enterance than a turnstile.

I was more at the public in there using the diners and bars on I assume concourses? And it mixed with ticket holders for the match. Really, it’ll just have to be shut to the public on match days.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Newest stadium built being voted the best shocker?
Aye, I think it's an incredible stadium and I'm very proud of it, but you'd expect it to be the best considering the cost and the fact it's the newest build around. Anything less would have been a tad disappointing.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Aye, I think it's an incredible stadium and I'm very proud of it, but you'd expect it to be the best considering the cost and the fact it's the newest build around. Anything less would have been a tad disappointing.
It will be interesting to see if other clubs go the "all day experience" route that you guys have gone.

Dolf

dbs235

From a desire for perfection? The stadium has only just opened - one or two teething issues are to be expected don't you think?
What exactly would be the solution if they find there are sight-line issues with this last row that is still being monitored? Surely there's not much they can do about it now.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What exactly would be the solution if they find there are sight-line issues with this last row that is still being monitored? Surely there's not much they can do about it now.
Sufficient until the day is the evil thereof.