Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Considering the delays happened right at the start of the building work, (in fact even before the building started to be precise) this is an absolute farce, they knew about the delays and thought they could still make the time up!!
Personally I believe they are playing the rules big time,

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Balaks. Your often daft as a brush and equally often quite insightful about your club.

Kind of a gateway drug to both Squish and Glaston.

But let me pin you down on this. Try to remove your Spurs goggles.

How would you feel as a Spurs fan in 5 years time. United get a new stadium. They have your situation. They win 10 games at their new stadium. They lose 8 out of 8 games they're allowed to play at The Etihad.

Spurs are the only team to play them at Twickenham. You lose. They beat you to the title by a point.

Do you feel that that's fair?

Ignore how many ducks need to line up in a row to see that scenario play out.

How does that make you feel? Talk as a football fan. Not a Spurs fan.
:lol: Ok I get it - I do get it but i'm a bit disturbed about all the talk about points deductions, etc. so it's my way of trying to overcompensate for the nerves I have about it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Balaks. Your often daft as a brush and equally often quite insightful about your club.

Kind of a gateway drug to both Squish and Glaston.

But let me pin you down on this. Try to remove your Spurs goggles.

How would you feel as a Spurs fan in 5 years time. United get a new stadium. They have your situation. They win 10 games at their new stadium. They lose 8 out of 8 games they're allowed to play at The Etihad.

Spurs are the only team to play them at Twickenham. You lose. They beat you to the title by a point.

Do you feel that that's fair?

Ignore how many ducks need to line up in a row to see that scenario play out.

How does that make you feel? Talk as a football fan. Not a Spurs fan.
Glad to hear I'm the hard stuff :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
:lol: Ok I get it - I do get it but i'm a bit disturbed about all the talk about points deductions, etc. so it's my way of trying to overcompensate for the nerves I have about it.
I completely understand that. I'd feel the same if it was United in this spot. In my private moments I'm able to apply a little bit of sensible thought though.

A points deduction is the ultimate punishment. Yet it's not some kind of fantasy.

If we ignore issues of administration, I'd say that the punishments for fielding ineligible players is the closest thing to using 3 stadiums (I personally think using 2 stadiums should have been off the table but the league allowed it, there's no put in re-litigating it). It brings unequalness to the sport. They've been handed out routinely.

The entire Premier league is going to wear the cost of Spurs; Not being able to get a stadium project finished on time, and their inability to have finances sufficient to delay the move for an entire season.

Boro once got a 3 point deduction for postponing a match when they had 23 players go sick. Granted it was two decades ago but even that's a smaller crime than this stadia farce.

I don't really want to see Spurs fans or players suffer, but it's a situation that's entirely in their own hands and they've screwed over the entire league. It's wrong.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Glad to hear I'm the hard stuff :lol:
At least you pick a position brutha.

It's not so much a left/right/centrist. More of a red pill blue pill choice;

- Take the red pill and you become a relentless realist, admitting your clubs flaws and following things through into to a scathing indictment of any facet of the club that's not up to standards.
- Take the blue pill and you'll forever believe that having a great view and a warm arsehole while your iphone charges will make up for a dusty trophy cabinet.

Mr Balaks knows the danger of both pills and watches the world go by as he plays with them in hand like Baoding balls in a kind of Spursy-Sophies choice.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

- Take the red pill and you become a relentless realist, admitting your clubs flaws and following things through into to a scathing indictment of any facet of the club that's not up to standards.
- Take the blue pill and you'll forever believe that having a great view and a warm arsehole while your iphone charges will make up for a dusty trophy cabinet.

Mr Balaks knows the danger of both pills and watches the world go by as he plays with them in hand like Baoding balls in a kind of Spursy-Sophies choice.
In fairness I'm pretty complimentary of the club in most aspects, I just also joke about it and don't particularly like Levy, though accept he's done right by the club in many ways. I'm practically in love with our manager and think we have a decent shot at top four so I've never considered myself a 'relentless realist' .. till I saw some of the Levy love from the Spurs fans on here. It's like they all have his picture in their lockets and can't even take a joke without rushing to his immediate defence.

IMO I don't think being incredibly pissed off at our summer transfer business was an extreme position, merely a logical response to completely failing in all objectives except for keeping the players we had. Obviously some disagree and object to my posts, and that's totally fair, it's a question of opinions at the end of the day.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

:lol: 'kin ell

UnrelatedPsuedo

In fairness I'm pretty complimentary of the club in most aspects, I just also joke about it and don't particularly like Levy, though accept he's done right by the club in many ways. I'm practically in love with our manager and think we have a decent shot at top four so I've never considered myself a 'relentless realist' .. till I saw some of the Levy love from the Spurs fans on here. It's like they all have his picture in their lockets and can't even take a joke without rushing to his immediate defence.

IMO I don't think being incredibly pissed off at our summer transfer business was an extreme position, merely a logical response to completely failing in all objectives except for keeping the players we had. Obviously some disagree and object to my posts, and that's totally fair, it's a question of opinions at the end of the day.
You're comfortably the best Spurs fan on the board. You never go near anything too outlandish. Though your fellow Spurs fans see some of your points as over the top - Somehow failing to remember that they're posting on a United forum. Your views are mild compared to what we think of Spurs actions at times.

Someone like Glaston on the other hand... He'd probably argue that Levy wasn't bald 'Because there are hairs there and you've got to be 100% hair free to be termed bald'

Keep fighting the good fight. Next round of drama will probably be about Levy's salary reveal.

Offsideagain

Who actually owns Spurs? I heard a bloke on 606 phone in saying Levy was only there because he married the owners daughter and he was clueless about football but a good business man. I don’t know the details of why the stadium isn’t ready, but it’s no surprise as nothing ever is ready on time, Olympics were throwers the exception.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Who actually owns Spurs? I heard a bloke on 606 phone in saying Levy was only there because he married the owners daughter and he was clueless about football but a good business man. I don’t know the details of why the stadium isn’t ready, but it’s no surprise as nothing ever is ready on time, Olympics were throwers the exception.
Not a swipe at you but your line prompted me. [Silent Joe Lewis owns Spurs btw, as you asked. He should be vilified the way that the Arsenal board is, but that's another story]

This narrative that's being thrown around that's along the lines of;

"Nothing is ready on time"
"These things always overrun"
"Projects always get delayed"

It's all nonsense. Yes, some projects do get delayed. There are lots of moving parts and a multi-year project has the potential for delays and slippage. But it remains true that the vast majority of development projects run to schedule. Or, they get revised and a new completion date is set.

It's also true that a development costing in the hundreds of millions, with an external force imposing an immovable finish time, should NEVER be moving a completion date by 6-10 weeks, when the completion date is less than 4 weeks away.

I would get fired on the spot if I gave that news to my stakeholder group.

I would be truly amazed if this is genuinely the first time that the club knew that there was trouble ahead. Any Project manager worth a dime (and you can guarantee the PM for the project will be one of the best paid in the country) would have seen this coming months ago.

It all stinks. But I guarantee that Spurs fans point their pitchforks in the wrong direction.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Joe Lewis

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Levy doesn't own Spurs - Joe Lewis owns Spurs. Levy is Joe Lewis's godson I think.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Levy doesn't own Spurs - Joe Lewis owns Spurs. Levy is Joe Lewis's godson I think.
I don't think he's his godfather. I believe he sees Daniel as his protege. (EDIT: I was wrong, it's both)

Also, I believe Levy is an owner of ENIC. Not the owner, but he owns a part of it. (EDIT: Just checked. Levy is suggested to own a 29% stake in ENIC)

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You're comfortably the best Spurs fan on the board. You never go near anything too outlandish. Though your fellow Spurs fans see some of your points as over the top - Somehow failing to remember that they're posting on a United forum. Your views are mild compared to what we think of Spurs actions at times.

Someone like Glaston on the other hand... He'd probably argue that Levy wasn't bald 'Because there are hairs there and you've got to be 100% hair free to be termed bald'

Keep fighting the good fight. Next round of drama will probably be about Levy's salary reveal.
We'll see .. so much IMO depends on whether we make the top four this season, if we do then I feel it'll be a significant success considering we added nobody to the team and are going through a bit of a turbulent time. I know it's a bit of a poor mentality treating top four as a trophy, but with all the stadium costs which are clearly impacting our ability to spend in the market (Not even remotely taking seriously the idea we're not dipping it out of 'principle') if we also lose CL money I can see Levy sanctioning a big sale. I feel like if we do finish outside of the top four, the drama next summer will make this summers arguments seem like absolutely nothing.

I think we're actually in a deceptively precarious position, and I don't think some other Spurs fans want to hear that. So much hinges on keeping our manager at the club (Like I've said in the Spurs thread, I attribute far more of our on the pitch success to him than Levy) and the fact is that big European clubs will be after him, and we're not offering him much incentive to stay right now. A lot of our players etc adore him and I think would also look to leave if he left the club, hence why I was so furious that we failed to back him, not because I thought no transfers would lead to an immediately horrible season, but because I value backing our prize asset very highly.

Basically, I'm desperate for us to not waste the manager/team we have right now, and I'm very concerned Levy will do just that. Perhaps that is negative, stupid, embarrasing etc .. but I honestly don't think it's an unreasonable opinion given the summer we just had. It's why I can't get too excited about the new stadium, the footballing stuff for me is always most important as a fan and will always be my biggest concern.

Honestly I hope there is no more fecking drama and we have a fantastic season, Eriksen signs a new contract, and Levy backs Pochettino fully next summer... but unlike some, I just can't bring myself to actually believe all of that.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
It will be ready when it is ready, I am really not fussed, and this is coming from someone who has paid for a ST at the new stadium.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who actually owns Spurs?
ENIC Group owns 85.55% of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. ENIC Group is privately held, and Joe Lewis owns 70.6% while Daniel Levy owns 29.4%. This means, effectively, that Joe Lewis owns 60.39% of the football club and Daniel Levy owns 25.15%. The other 14.45% is made up of mostly small shareholders, club members, etc.

In terms of sporting ownerships deals, the £40m that Lewis and Levy spent in 2003 to take ENIC Group private (they bought the outstanding 48% of the shares they did not own), and then £25m in 2007 to buy the rest of Lord Sugar's shares is one of the all time staggering deals. Tottenham Hotspur F.C alone is worth probably somewhere in the range of £1.5B these days. Just a reminder of what a terrible businessman and owner/chairman Lord Sugar was.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It will be ready when it is ready, I am really not fussed, and this is coming from someone who has paid for a ST at the new stadium.
I don't think that's the issue here, yes it kinda sucks for some Spurs fans but the main bit is that it jeopardize the fairness of the home & away league rules. I wonder what the FA is going to do if they can't play in it until October/November. Moving a fixture or two is annoying but if it means throwing 5 or 6 teams in the mix, there's got to be some sort of punitive action.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
All stadium payments are part of ENIC, to the tune of £700m plus with 4 different banks.
As far as I am concerned ENIC are a holding company/investment firm so won't be paying that loan back off their own back.
So realistically, whilst spurs accounts are run separate from ENIC, you can rest assured that ENIC will be using profits from the club where ever possible to assist due to wanting to accumulate profit as quick as possible!!
I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale of Spurs in the next 5 years or so.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All stadium payments are part of ENIC, to the tune of £700m plus with 4 different banks.
As far as I am concerned ENIC are a holding company/investment firm so won't be paying that loan back off their own back.
So realistically, whilst spurs accounts are run separate from ENIC, you can rest assured that ENIC will be using profits from the club where ever possible to assist due to wanting to accumulate profit as quick as possible!!
I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale of Spurs in the next 5 years or so.
It will be sooner than that, my guess next summer.... if the stadium is complete lol.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
ENIC Group owns 85.55% of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. ENIC Group is privately held, and Joe Lewis owns 70.6% while Daniel Levy owns 29.4%. This means, effectively, that Joe Lewis owns 60.39% of the football club and Daniel Levy owns 25.15%. The other 14.45% is made up of mostly small shareholders, club members, etc.
This is why I find it so staggering how many spurs fans believe Levy has the sporting interests of the club as a priority. He is massively invested in them turning a profit.

SteveTheRed

I heard, through a friend of a friend at Mace, only 35 of 300 fire alarm loops work at the new ground and there is no chance it will open this year. They have been asked to price up 50 electricians to try and get it done but minimum of 3-4 months work.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
I heard, through a friend of a friend at Mace, only 35 of 300 fire alarm loops work at the new ground and there is no chance it will open this year. They have been asked to price up 50 electricians to try and get it done but minimum of 3-4 months work.
This would seem to back up what you have heard length if for 3 months.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is why I find it so staggering how many spurs fans believe Levy has the sporting interests of the club as a priority. He is massively invested in them turning a profit.
He is massively invested in the club increasing it's overall equity, which is an important distinction. Caring about short term profits has never been the MO of ENIC, unlike more shortsided or cash strapped owners such as Mike Ashley, Lord Sugar and the like. ENIC has no other investments or debts, it's literally just a tool to hold the equity & debt from the football club and it's related property projects (unlike say - FSG or Kroenke or the Glazers who have other investments they use United, Arsenal and Liverpool as equity for or to generate positive cash flow to support).

For the last decade the things which have increased the equity of Tottenham Hotspur FC have coincided with improved results on the football pitch - making it into Europe, making it into the CL, making it into the CL consistently, finishing high in the PL, etc. Over the last 15 years that has taken a football club worth less than £75M into one worth £1.5B or more and seen our best football played since the 1960's. The problems might show when that relationships between on field results and equity built in the club starts to deviate. For now though, that relationship is likely to continue - win the league and Spurs raise their commercial profile and make the club even more valuable, etc.

Revan

Assumptionman
Revenue and value of the club increasing is not mutually exclusive with the club doing well. In fact, it is quite correlated (rich clubs do well, in order for clubs to do well they need to be rich).

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Revenue and value of the club increasing is not mutually exclusive with the club doing well. In fact, it is quite correlated (rich clubs do well, in order for clubs to do well they need to be rich).
Usually.

Massive debts tend to change the priorities though. I am sure levy isn't sorry they spent nothing this summer.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
To an extent - Liverpool and Arsenal have proven there is a point you reach where you are so well known that you can generate enormous amounts of revenue and build equity in the football club without having to improve on results. To some extent United is in that same situation as well right now.

I think it's safe to say that Tottenham has not reached that point yet - increased results on the pitch will still bring increased revenue (and thus equity) for some period of time into the future.

Revan

Assumptionman
Usually.

Massive debts tend to change the priorities though. I am sure levy isn't sorry they spent nothing this summer.
They didn't spent, cause their stadium cost a billion or whatever, not cause Levy is taking money outside of Spurs. I am not sure how do Spurs operate, but if is anything like United, when/if they take money out of the club, it will be on public records for everyone to see it.

Revan

Assumptionman
To an extent - Liverpool and Arsenal have proven there is a point you reach where you are so well known that you can generate enormous amounts of revenue and build equity in the football club without having to improve on results. To some extent United is in that same situation as well right now.

I think it's safe to say that Tottenham has not reached that point yet - increased results on the pitch will still bring increased revenue (and thus equity) for some period of time into the future.
Liverpool and Arsenal have lower revenue than City (not sure about their value, didn't check it) though, while United (who have been doing very well until 5 years ago) have a much higher revenue and I guess, more than double the value.

On Spurs it is even more interesting, they are close to getting on top 10 clubs (by revenue) and there is much more potential to grow as a club. Just look at Leicester, a club who isn't a big club at all even compared with Newcastle or Aston Villa, but a league title suddenly put them on top 15 richest clubs and now can financially dwarf most of European clubs including giants like Milano. Do good on the pitch = more fans = more money.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Can I ask how long have you been following football? I’m honestly not trying to sound like a dick, but take a look at where we as a club were prior to 2001. Then look at the other teams like Leeds, Everton, West Ham, Villa, Newcastle who all got bought over. When you look at then and now other owners have done a hell of a lot worse than Levy, I fact 3 relatively big clubs have been relegated. Don’t get me wrong, Levy has made mistakes, but considering he isn’t a sugar daddy and is looking to make a profit the guy has done a great job. I don’t idolise him but I respect how far he has brought us on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Can I ask how long have you been following football? I’m honestly not trying to sound like a dick, but take a look at where we as a club were prior to 2001. Then look at the other teams like Leeds, Everton, West Ham, Villa, Newcastle who all got bought over. When you look at then and now other owners have done a hell of a lot worse than Levy, I fact 3 relatively big clubs have been relegated. Don’t get me wrong, Levy has made mistakes, but considering he isn’t a sugar daddy and is looking to make a profit the guy has done a great job. I don’t idolise him but I respect how far he has brought us on.
Yep

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I get all that. He's earned a lot of leeway (I still have great respect for him unceremoniously dumping redknapp on his arse).

What I don't get is the unquestionable reverence for him. This summer is clearly more than "making a mistake" and more in "pooling the wool over the eyes" territory, yet lots of spurs fans were performing strong mental gymnastics to convince themselves that wasn't the case, rather than asking fair critical questions. By the end of the window it was so bad, I reckon a lot of spurs fans would have considered the window a success if you had signed Grealish. No window is a succes if all you sign is jack fecking Grealish. And you didn't even get that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I get all that. He's earned a lot of leeway (I still have great respect for him unceremoniously dumping redknapp on his arse).

What I don't get is the unquestionable reverence for him. This summer is clearly more than "making a mistake" and more in "pooling the wool over the eyes" territory, yet lots of spurs fans were performing strong mental gymnastics to convince themselves that wasn't the case, rather than asking fair critical questions. By the end of the window it was so bad, I reckon a lot of spurs fans would have considered the window a success if you had signed Grealish. No window is a succes if all you sign is jack fecking Grealish. And you didn't even get that.
This, pretty much.

What Levy has done for the club is undeniable, and it could certainly be a hell of a lot worse. People seem to mistake criticizing him when he deserves it for being 'Levy out', which I have never been, and that position wouldn't change unless something pretty major was to happen. I do believe though that fans should put the pressure on when they feel mistakes have been made, and this summer was one big mistake, and in my personal opinion will cost us throughout the season. If it ends up costing us our objectives (i.e top 4) then that will be on Levy's head, and the fans were rightfully pissed off, we're going in to next season with a central midfield consisting of an injury prone Dembele, Wanyama and Winks, with Sissoko and Dier. That isn't good enough, needed investment, we didn't get it .. of course we move on, but yeah the excuses made by fans for the lack of spending was pretty pathetic, like you say there were a ton of mental gymnastics performed in order to justify no spending. Rubbish like 'nobody out there is better', when we're starting Moussa Sissoko on opening day next to a just returning Dier, and having to throw the likes of Kane in straight away due to no depth at all.

I do get why some of our fans are so defensive over Levy. He's overwhelmingly been positive during his time at the club, and in many respects we're in a great position right now. I just don't want us to rest on our laurels, or to become content with our position, because that can so easily lead to a slow slide down the table. I just think some of our fans need to chill out and realise you can both accept Levy has been great for the club, but also get bloody frustrated with him when he pulls off crap like this transfer window.