Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

finneh

"You're such a tosser ..." + "pathetic agenda" + "... perfect place to go when we sign nobody again. Bet that's been his plan all along the tight fisted cnut."

Light-hearted comments? Righty-ho.

Your 'realistic stance' on Spurs consists of wanting money for everything - new contracts, training centre, stadium, new players - with no care as to where it might come from. All combined with predicting dire consequences because we didn't sigh any new players.

And you generally assume the worst of motives for Levy. But I guess it's easy to sit on the sidelines and toss in brickbats.
Actually, that's a half-truth. The other half of the truth is that our need to invest heavily in the new stadium and new training ground has prevented us, for a fair few years now, from spending much on incoming transfers in net terms ... because without huge extra borrowing we couldn't afford to do both things at the same time.

However, that period of austerity is now easing off for three reasons:
  1. Because of our successive seasons qualifying for the CL (and all the extra income it brings - an extra £52m this time around).
  2. Because we posted record revenue of over £306m for the year ended 30 June 2017 (that's as of nearly 10 months ago - our revenues will have gone up further since then), with a profit for the year after interest and tax of £41.2m.
  3. Because from August/September onwards the much higher income streams from our new stadium will start to come in.
This leads me to your 2nd point, your confidence that Spurs won't have £100m lying around this summer to invest in the squad. I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, for the reasons I've given.
So you're lambasting a fellow Spurs fan for "wanting money for everything - new contracts, training centre, stadium, new players", whilst at the same time holding the position less than 4 months ago that because of CL qualification, record revenues and the higher income from the stadium that "you wouldn't be so sure" that you didn't also have £100m net for transfers on top of those investments.

At least be goddamn consistent. Either you were wrong then and were talking absolute nonsense in our conversation regarding your finances or you're wrong now in lambasting others for believing exactly as you did prior to the transfer window.

A simple apology to either myself saying you were wrong about Spurs' finances or @SquishyMcSquish for criticising him for merely holding the same stance as you merely 4 months ago will suffice.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So you're lambasting a fellow Spurs fan for "wanting money for everything - new contracts, training centre, stadium, new players", whilst at the same time holding the position less than 4 months ago that because of CL qualification, record revenues and the higher income from the stadium that "you wouldn't be so sure" that you didn't also have £100m net for transfers on top of those investments.

At least be goddamn consistent. Either you were wrong then and were talking absolute nonsense in our conversation regarding your finances or you're wrong now in lambasting others for believing exactly as you did prior to the transfer window.

A simple apology to either myself saying you were wrong about Spurs' finances or @SquishyMcSquish for criticising him for merely holding the same stance as you merely 4 months ago will suffice.
Don't bother, mate. Glaston is shameless when it comes to making claims then backtracking, the situation has entirely changed now and we're practically destitute due to the new stadium build. He will twist anything to shine a positive light on Levy, it's why we've had so many clashes on here. Not because I outright despise Levy (I don't, and think he's done plenty good for the club) but because I'm not going to listen to drivel which portrays him as a divine figure who can't make mistakes.

Apparently that makes me an Arsenal fan. That and making a few jokes .. so be it.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
the situation has entirely changed now and we're practically destitute due to the new stadium build
There's no evidence of that, and the public figures for the PLC show otherwise. There was also no evidence Spurs had 100m+ to spend in the transfer window on top of huge new wage hikes for many players. Not sure where either you or Glaston are getting these things other than straight out of your asses.

You guys are the opposite sides of the same coin and frankly, if I want to hear this tired ass bickering back and forth there's 10 Spurs forums for me to find it on (with more interesting characters to boot). The best part of this forum was the garbage of Spurs fans infighting over money here or there was absent.

finneh

Don't bother, mate. Glaston is shameless when it comes to making claims then backtracking, the situation has entirely changed now and we're practically destitute due to the new stadium build. He will twist anything to shine a positive light on Levy, it's why we've had so many clashes on here. Not because I outright despise Levy (I don't, and think he's done plenty good for the club) but because I'm not going to listen to drivel which portrays him as a divine figure who can't make mistakes.

Apparently that makes me an Arsenal fan. That and making a few jokes .. so be it.
I am fully aware of Glaston's inability to agree with even his own position from months earlier. He'd be a great spin doctor if it weren't for the fact that the things he says are recorded in writing, making it easy for people to shine a light on the inconsistencies and flip-flopping.

The mental gymnastics involved with Spurs low historic net spend, combined with CL qualification and increased commercial income, all of which were apparently not part of the stadium budget, which allows them to spend £100m net on transfers... Whilst at the same time criticising others for agreeing with him and expecting said money to be given to a manager who's done wonders for the squad... Astounding.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
There's no evidence of that, and the public figures for the PLC show otherwise. There was also no evidence Spurs had 100m+ to spend in the transfer window on top of huge new wage hikes for many players. Not sure where either you or Glaston are getting these things other than straight out of your asses.

You guys are the opposite sides of the same coin and frankly, if I want to hear this tired ass bickering back and forth there's 10 Spurs forums for me to find it on (with more interesting characters to boot). The best part of this forum was the garbage of Spurs fans infighting over money here or there was absent.
You need to read my post fully before jumping on it. I know we're not destitute, I mean the way in which Glaston has done a 360 from 'we will have 100m to spend!' to 'you can't expect any transfers AND a stadium' as if he wasn't claiming we will be signing players. I don't think we're either fabulously wealthy or completely out of money, my position has always been that I'm fully aware we must live within our means but that I was very dissapointed at 1-2 players not being added in key positions which were clearly needed. That is all.

Again, you have clearly decided on a narrative and that is your right. I personally have no wish to continue debating with Glaston on this, merely made a couple of lighthearted jokes in this thread which he immediately jumped on and decided to restart the argument. Go blame him for not being able to take a joke about Levy, not me for having to defend myself (again) because he can't handle any slight jab at his hero in life.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Glaston said:
The current plan is for construction to start next year, with Spurs being able to play in the new stadium for the beginning of the 2012–13 season (less than 3 years from now), aiming for the stadium to be fully complete for the following season. The signs are all looking good and I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen more or less on schedule.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's just a ruse to keep the likes of Eriksen and Pochettino for another season. "Don't worry lads you can lead our club in our new stadium!"

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A 62,00 all-seater stadium seems a tad excessive for Spurs. Do they actually plan to fill it out on a regular basis or are we looking at another Emptihad?

George The Best

You need to read my post fully before jumping on it. I know we're not destitute, I mean the way in which Glaston has done a 360 from 'we will have 100m to spend!' to 'you can't expect any transfers AND a stadium' as if he wasn't claiming we will be signing players. I don't think we're either fabulously wealthy or completely out of money, my position has always been that I'm fully aware we must live within our means but that I was very dissapointed at 1-2 players not being added in key positions which were clearly needed. That is all.

Again, you have clearly decided on a narrative and that is your right. I personally have no wish to continue debating with Glaston on this, merely made a couple of lighthearted jokes in this thread which he immediately jumped on and decided to restart the argument. Go blame him for not being able to take a joke about Levy, not me for having to defend myself (again) because he can't handle any slight jab at his hero in life.
Fair play Squishy. FWIW I agree with you. You’ve got a great first eleven, but the squad depth is too low with all the demands you have to face this season. Bringing back most of your WC players to face Newcastle, when they clearly looked leggy, just demonstrated it for me. You will have a World Class stadium when it’s completed, no doubt. But, and it’s a big But, you cannot afford to let the development affect your squad development. Hope you get the transition right as the PL needs teams like yours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
A 62,00 all-seater stadium seems a tad excessive for Spurs. Do they actually plan to fill it out on a regular basis or are we looking at another Emptihad?
Nah, we manage to get decent numbers (generally) at Wembley and that's awkwardly located in London and has a 90k capacity. We're well supported in London and it's just a shot in the dark but I'm going to guess have a larger domestic fanbase than City do, at least larger in terms of fans committed to going to games. We'll definitely struggle to fill it in certain less attractive fixtures/dead rubbers, but I don't think you'll have the situation we see with City where they're seemingly struggling to fill it even for some of their bigger fixtures.

One issue will be the ticket prices though, which has majorly pissed off a lot of fans, and to be quite honest priced a lot of people out. Modern football though, I guess .. ordinary people, often the ones who are most die hard supporters, are going to struggle to make the games. Expected in a shiny new London stadium, but still sad to see, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had an impact on the atmosphere.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Nah, we manage to get decent numbers (generally) at Wembley and that's awkwardly located in London and has a 90k capacity. We're well supported in London and it's just a shot in the dark but I'm going to guess have a larger domestic fanbase than City do, at least larger in terms of fans committed to going to games. We'll definitely struggle to fill it in certain less attractive fixtures/dead rubbers, but I don't think you'll have the situation we see with City where they're seemingly struggling to fill it even for some of their bigger fixtures.

One issue will be the ticket prices though, which has majorly pissed off a lot of fans, and to be quite honest priced a lot of people out. Modern football though, I guess .. ordinary people, often the ones who are most die hard supporters, are going to struggle to make the games. Expected in a shiny new London stadium, but still sad to see, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had an impact on the atmosphere.
Had no idea Spurs has such a wide following to be honest with you. The stadium itself does look rather sexy, I hope I get to see it sometime in the future.

Yeah, modern football doesn't come without its drawbacks. Ticket prices at OT have steadily increased ever since the Glazers took over the club. Many working-class fans (myself included) have been priced out because of that. We had it a lot better than most clubs in the prem for a large number of years though, so can't moan too much.

Cloud7

Civil war among the Spurs fans. I love it :lol:

@vadimivich is there a Spurs equivalent of Arsenal Mania where one might be able to check out some more of this civil war?

Jumper23

Spurs are not breaking any Premier League or FA Rules by playing in two stadiums in the same season, it clearly states in the Premier League hand book that it's allowed with written consent.

K.5. Each Club shall register its Stadium with the Board and must play all matches in the competitions listed in Rule L.9 for which it is the Home Club at the Stadium. No Club shall remove to another Stadium (either on a permanent or temporary basis) without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, in accordance with Rule K.6, below.

K.6. In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case (including, but not limited to, the factors set out in this Rule K.6) and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent.

Obviously it's not fair, but every club can exercise this rule if they need to. It's basically the same with UEFA also, they will need written consent.

PaulRich

Tender is basically a bidding process where contractors/companies submit a price to win the contract to build the building (in this case, a stadium). As part of a tender, you submit a Bill of Quantities (BOQ) which is a list of quantities of materials/services needed to build the stadium.

QS then is a Quantity Surveyor. You can branch off into several areas of QSing but in this example, for a contractor, we price the mentioned BOQ. Then we manage costs, procurement of materials/subcontactors/services and in most cases, the project itself.
I suspect my counterpart (Planning Manager) is either on his umpteenth nervous breakdown or has already run away to a new life of hiring pedalos on a beach in Mexico. The pressure must be immense.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Civil war among the Spurs fans. I love it :lol:

@vadimivich is there a Spurs equivalent of Arsenal Mania where one might be able to check out some more of this civil war?
There is no civil war amongst Spurs fans. There is just a boring wind up session between two Spurs posters on this website who are embarrassing themselves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

The company I work for had a box at WHL, went there a few times, cost a fortune each season but was used as a corporate tool to entice customers to buy from us.
The company had planned to buy a box at the new ground but when offered the chance we found the price had nearly tripled so it was turned down.
The strange thing is we still get offered the box showing that they still haven't sold them all...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't go there - it is an absolute shit show of a forum.
Don't knock shit-shows, they make for great toilet reading material.

25k replies in the Spurs summer transfer thread alone to get through. Fortunate that I had a curry last night.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just thinking about the meetings these lads that are involved with the construction must have had is grim

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The company I work for had a box at WHL, went there a few times, cost a fortune each season but was used as a corporate tool to entice customers to buy from us.
The company had planned to buy a box at the new ground but when offered the chance we found the price had nearly tripled so it was turned down.
The strange thing is we still get offered the box showing that they still haven't sold them all...
How does that work? Instead of doing meetings at the office, you take customers to the box?