Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

Nick7

How does that work? Instead of doing meetings at the office, you take customers to the box?
Generally no. You meet with the clients in the office. Then some take them out to dinner, wine them and dine them. At my old place the sales guys took prospective clients to all sorts of events during the sales process. Sports events would be one of them.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The company I work for had a box at WHL, went there a few times, cost a fortune each season but was used as a corporate tool to entice customers to buy from us.
The company had planned to buy a box at the new ground but when offered the chance we found the price had nearly tripled so it was turned down.
The strange thing is we still get offered the box showing that they still haven't sold them all...
I think this is systematic of where a lot of clubs will be quite soon. Trying to grab at money that just isn't there or that people just aren't going to pay.

There's only so much you can do with sponsorship deals before you get to a saturation point, and we've seen with the TV money that they've already reached that point, trying to flog extra money out of internet TV providers who just aren't interested in the asking price. Fans will only accept ticket price hikes up to a point.

It's why people who praise the likes of Woodward for being shite at running a football club but supposedly good at running a business, just aren't seeing the picture clearly.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think this is systematic of where a lot of clubs will be quite soon. Trying to grab at money that just isn't there or that people just aren't going to pay.

There's only so much you can do with sponsorship deals before you get to a saturation point, and we've seen with the TV money that they've already reached that point, trying to flog extra money out of internet TV providers who just aren't interested in the asking price. Fans will only accept ticket price hikes up to a point.

It's why people who praise the likes of Woodward for being shite at running a football club but supposedly good at running a business, just aren't seeing the picture clearly.
Indeedy.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
There is no civil war amongst Spurs fans. There is just a boring wind up session between two Spurs posters on this website who are embarrassing themselves.
Oh let it go, would you. Glaston decided to get sensitive over a joke and restart the debate, so I told him to feck off. The original debate was a perfectly valid one to have given the summer we had, and was being had in Spurs forums across the web. The debate was actually over again, until you arrived and restarted the whole thing by having a cry and telling me I'm an Arsenal fan for making a joke about Sissoko, as if plenty of our fans don't make jokes about our worst player.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh let it go, would you. Glaston decided to get sensitive over a joke and restart the debate, so I told him to feck off. The original debate was a perfectly valid one to have given the summer we had, and was being had in Spurs forums across the web. The debate was actually over again, until you arrived and restarted the whole thing by having a cry and telling me I'm an Arsenal fan for making a joke about Sissoko, as if plenty of our fans don't make jokes about our worst player.
You are a ranting mess of a poster. You are just as bad as Glaston.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You are a ranting mess of a poster. You are just as bad as Glaston.
I'm so sad you don't like my posts. It really upsets me that somebody as insightful as you doesn't enjoy them. I'll try much harder in future to post one lines like you do, telling other people how bad they are at posting, that they are Arsenal fans for making a joke etc. That sounds like it would be quality.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm so sad you don't like my posts. It really upsets me that somebody as insightful as you doesn't enjoy them. I'll try much harder in future to post one lines like you do, telling other people how bad they are at posting, that they are Arsenal fans for making a joke etc. That sounds like it would be quality.
That would be great thanks.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
For a Spurs fan you talk like you are an Arsenal fan. Why are you constantly ripping into your own club? Honestly getting boring now. I get frustrated at the club and would like some things done differently but feck me I still support them with all my heart and will defend them. You are just putting the boot in needlessly. I have my own issues with Glaston and he pretty much hates me as a result but give the guy a break and give us all a break.
would be nicer if Glaston gave us all a break. He will, once spurs hit a rough patch of course, but it would be nicer if he did it now.

Sylar

So Spurs fans paid for STs based on the new stadium right? And cosof that the prices are higher.

So will they be compensated cos they are still gonna be at Wembley?

Also if they start the CL in Wembley, they gotta finish it in Wembley right? So theres a possibility after xmas they might be playing League games in one stadium, and CL in another? Mess.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So Spurs fans paid for STs based on the new stadium right? And cosof that the prices are higher.

Also if they start the CL in Wembley, they gotta finish it in Wembley right? So theres a possibility after xmas they might be playing League games in one stadium, and CL in another? Mess.
This happened season before last

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
would be nicer if Glaston gave us all a break. He will, once spurs hit a rough patch of course, but it would be nicer if he did it now.
They are both, as we say in Northern Ireland, pure melters.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It is a mess and I think I'm right in saying that some sort of compensation package is currently being discussed.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That would be great thanks.
'Forget it guys, the world net spend trophy is Spurs now. It's a record that only we could break.'

'I'm depressed.'

'We are a fecking joke.'

You were basically just as reactionary and disapointed as I was in the Spurs thread, only difference is you did it in single lines rather than debates, and then later have decided to become the voice of rationality and act as if you weren't part of any of the discussions.

Those posts look like proper Arsenal fan material to me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
'Forget it guys, the world net spend trophy is Spurs now. It's a record that only we could break.'

'I'm depressed.'

'We are a fecking joke.'

You were basically just as reactionary and disapointed as I was in the Spurs thread, only difference is you did it in single lines rather than debates, and then later have decided to become the voice of rationality and act as if you weren't part of any of the discussions.

Those posts look like proper Arsenal fan material to me.
We are all allowed to be annoyed at our club from time to time - I have been honest and said that when I realised we would not buy a single player I was gutted and pretty annoyed about it. That has since passed and I'm back to supporting the club 100%. What I did not do - which unfortunately you have continued to do - is engage in pointless and frankly childish posts for weeks on end full of negative dirge and even worse than that getting embroiled in a childish ongoing tit for tat argument with Glaston which does neither of you any favours.

You can do what you like and post what you like but equally I can tell you that I think it makes you look a bit foolish at best. You are just ranting away about the same stuff and from the outside at least it seems to be, at least in some part, an effort to wind up fellow Spurs fans. I'm sure that is not the case but it sometimes comes across like that.

Feel free to look though the thousands of posts I've made during my time here and I've no doubt you will find some stupid, angry, ridiculous comments but generally i'm an optimistic guy but you are becoming extremely tiresome to listen to.

I'll end up doing with you exactly what I do now with Glaston and that is totally ignore what you say and try not to engage with you at all which is a shame because I usually like seeing other Spurs fans post here.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, I think these are appropriate times for spurs fans to not be optimistic. Something is definitely not right at the club.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
To be fair, I think these are appropriate times for spurs fans to not be optimistic. Something is definitely not right at the club.
It's hard to know what is going on at the moment but we still have a good team and should have a good season - the stadium will open eventually also. It's not all doom and gloom.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Terrible idea imo, would put me right off doing business with someone.
Yeah, we have business meetings pitchside, or just take a potential client to watch a game to ''sweeten' them up. Worked a treat to be fair, Modern football eh!!?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It's hard to know what is going on at the moment but we still have a good team and should have a good season - the stadium will open eventually also. It's not all doom and gloom.
It's probably not going to be quite as bad, but G&H extended their stay of hospitality with us exactly because there were fans happy to overlook the warning signs, then the red lamps, in the name of being optimistic.

At Arsenal, Kroenke used wenger to pull the wool over the eyes of the fanbase for years.

I think there is room for a pragmatic middle ground between optimism and moaning where critical issues are flagged and pressure applied to those deserving of it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's probably not going to be quite as bad, but G&H extended their stay of hospitality with us exactly because there were fans happy to overlook the warning signs, then the red lamps, in the name of being optimistic.

At Arsenal, Kroenke used wenger to pull the wool over the eyes of the fanbase for years.

I think there is room for a pragmatic middle ground between optimism and moaning where critical issues are flagged and pressure applied to those deserving of it.
Yeah I agree.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We are all allowed to be annoyed at our club from time to time - I have been honest and said that when I realised we would not buy a single player I was gutted and pretty annoyed about it. That has since passed and I'm back to supporting the club 100%. What I did not do - which unfortunately you have continued to do - is engage in pointless and frankly childish posts for weeks on end full of negative dirge and even worse than that getting embroiled in a childish ongoing tit for tat argument with Glaston which does neither of you any favours.

You can do what you like and post what you like but equally I can tell you that I think it makes you look a bit foolish at best. You are just ranting away about the same stuff and from the outside at least it seems to be, at least in some part, an effort to wind up fellow Spurs fans. I'm sure that is not the case but it sometimes comes across like that.

Feel free to look though the thousands of posts I've made during my time here and I've no doubt you will find some stupid, angry, ridiculous comments but generally i'm an optimistic guy.
I was also annoyed at the club throughout the transfer window, and expressed that in the Spurs thread. I don't think most of my posts were unreasonable, perhaps a couple after deadline day were a tad reactionary (expected, after the fact we had signed nobody) but for the most part I feel I was pretty rational about the situation. I've said time and time again I don't think we will have a poor season, but that it was very dissapointing that we didn't strengthen in a number of key areas, and I believe it will cost us this season on the pitch. That is all.

I haven't engaged in childless posts for weeks on end, that is pure fiction. I've barely posted in the Spurs thread of late, and most of my posts have been about completely separate topics. I said that the Newcastle result was a good one and that I wasn't worried about the performance, but I did note that the lack of depth was telling. I haven't been that negative, just realistic in that I think we will struggle to make top four with our current depth issues, but that it is possible if we can avoid bad injury problems/manage Dembele.

You can think what you want, it's a discussion board and all about opinions, but it seems like plenty of others agree with what I have to say. I haven't 'ranted' about Spurs since deadline day and have no real interest in continuing the discussion (its pointless now) but keep having to defend myself when I'm portrayed as the angriest, most Levy out poster around when that isn't true. I don't want Levy out, I don't think we're in crisis, that's just warping what I've written. My view on the situation has always been pretty reasonable, that we are still in a decent state but some of what has been happening this summer has been worrying, and deserved to be called out.

I haven't tried to 'wind up other Spurs fans', what exactly would I gain by doing that? You and Glaston just (oddly) got insulted by a couple of jokes about Sissoko and Levy being tight fisted, in a thread filled with jokes I didn't see the point in getting upset and stamping my feet, so made a couple of lighthearted jests. Glaston decided to turn it in to ANOTHER serious debate about out finances and lack of spending.

Like I said, you have obviously decided that I am wholly negative, which again you're entitled to but I feel ignores a great deal of my posts. Of course I was mostly negative when talking about our summer transfer dealings (where were the positives?) but I have also massively praised our manager, players, even Levy for his work off the field in a number of areas. I don't want to be arguing with Glaston in every Spurs thread, it's just his insistence on claiming we have the best of everything in the league and then expecting rival fans to agree, is a bit tiresome.

red4ever 79

Similar to the Arsenal situation when they were building the new stadium. The new stadium costs a lot and this will impact on player recruitment. Spurs are well off in a sense that their squad is still relatively young and has some good prospects. They just need to retain those players and not become a selling club like Arsenal succumbed to when they became City's bitc*

VanGaalEra

The Spurs vs City game in October might be played at Twickenham if Wembley is unavailable due to the NFL and the stadium isn't ready.

What a joke. Possibly 3 home games in 3 different stadiums in the same season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Spurs vs City game in October might be played at Twickenham if Wembley is unavailable due to the NFL and the stadium isn't ready.

Crazy stuff

B20

Supports
Liverpool
What are the possibilities of simply playing in an unfinished stadium and shutting off the unfinished parts?

Whoever gets to play spurs at twickenham are getting an advantage the rest aren't. Basically neutral venue. Surely can't be allowed.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
They just need to retain those players
That might be difficult when you aren't reinforcing the squad.

Eriksen hasn't signed a new contract. He'll have a year left next summer.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that playing leagues in more than 1 stadium, within a single season, was against the rules.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I went and found the rules:

K.5.
Each Club shall register its Stadium with the Board and must play all matches in the competitions listed in Rule L.9 for which it is the Home Club at the Stadium.
No Club shall remove to another Stadium (either on a permanent or temporary basis) without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, in accordance with Rule K.6, below.

K.6.
In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case (including, but not limited to, the factors set out in this Rule K.6) and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent:

• K.6.1. would be consistent with the objects of the League as set out in the Memorandum;
  • K.6.2. would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its Stadium;
  • K.6.3. would not to any material extent adversely affect such Club’s Officials, Players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
  • K.6.4. would not have a material adverse effect on Visiting Clubs;
  • K.6.5. would not to any material extent adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location; and
  • K.6.6. would enhance the reputation of the League and promote the game of association football generally.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That might be difficult when you aren't reinforcing the squad.

Eriksen hasn't signed a new contract. He'll have a year left next summer.
This is the worry. If I'm Eriksen, surely I'm thinking that I'm 26 and in the prime of my career yet have never won anything outside the Dutch League. Other clubs must be circling, he's seeing that we aren't signing anybody and knows that if he signs a new deal it will be horrendously difficult to leave. It's a significant worry because Eriksen is arguably the best player at the club, and in my opinion a world class attacking midfielder, trying to keep him should be (and I'm sure is) an absolute priority, even if that means making certain promises to show ambition in the transfer market.

Players like Eriksen and Kane deserve trophies, they're some of the best players in their position in the world. I do believe they can win them at Spurs, but we need to be building around them rather than expecting them to carry us to the top four, because eventually they will get tired of doing so. It's not a Coutinho situation either, where we could get stupid money and reinvest, there's too little time left on his contract.

red4ever 79

K.5.
Each Club shall register its Stadium with the Board and must play all matches in the competitions listed in Rule L.9 for which it is the Home Club at the Stadium.
No Club shall remove to another Stadium (either on a permanent or temporary basis) without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, in accordance with Rule K.6, below.

K.6.
In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case (including, but not limited to, the factors set out in this Rule K.6) and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent:

• K.6.1. would be consistent with the objects of the League as set out in the Memorandum;
  • K.6.2. would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its Stadium;
  • K.6.3. would not to any material extent adversely affect such Club’s Officials, Players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
  • K.6.5. would not to any material extent adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location; and
  • K.6.6. would enhance the reputation of the League and promote the game of association football generally.
Thanks, a good read. As I see it there are always loop holes in any ruling. However, they surely cant be allowed to play at 3 stadiums classed as a 'home stadium' in a season. If that's the case then Levy should be forced to resign

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is the worry. If I'm Eriksen, surely I'm thinking that I'm 26 and in the prime of my career yet have never won anything outside the Dutch League. Other clubs must be circling, he's seeing that we aren't signing anybody and knows that if he signs a new deal it will be horrendously difficult to leave. It's a significant worry because Eriksen is arguably the best player at the club, and in my opinion a world class attacking midfielder, trying to keep him should be (and I'm sure is) an absolute priority, even if that means making certain promises to show ambition in the transfer market.

Players like Eriksen and Kane deserve trophies, they're some of the best players in their position in the world. I do believe they can win them at Spurs, but we need to be building around them rather than expecting them to carry us to the top four, because eventually they will get tired of doing so. It's not a Coutinho situation either, where we could get stupid money and reinvest, there's too little time left on his contract.
The bidding will come thick and fast next summer if his future with Spurs remains in the balance. As much as I'd love to see him sign for United, I think he will go the way of Modric and Bale before him and join Madrid. He just looks tailormade for them, plus Levy will be hell-bent on sending him abroad for obvious reasons.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks, a good read. As I see it there are always loop holes in any ruling. However, they surely cant be allowed to play at 3 stadiums classed as a 'home stadium' in a season. If that's the case then Levy should be forced to resign
It's all a bit wishy washy. No stipulations about when such consent must be obtained, no emergency clauses (surely fire or similar would be the main cause for it) and no hard guidelines across six different paragraphs. It's 'wet your finger and feel which way the wind is blowing' territory allround.

So spurs will probably be allowed to go on tour for their home games.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

K.5.

K.6.

There's your loophole.

CA1

If Spurs have to play a match away from either Wembley or their new stadium (even that is pushing it- it's amateur enough having 2 different stadiums in one season) they should be deducted points in my opinion. That is standard procedure even at Semi Pro level.

If this was a lower league club they'd be told where to go and forced to play all games at the temporary venue in one season. It's shocking for a top 6 Premier League club to be this far behind. In my opinion, they should be forced to wait until 19/20 to go to their new stadium.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

They should be fined heavily for this. If they have to play it at a third ground the proceeds should go to charity.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If Spurs have to play a match away from either Wembley or their new stadium (even that is pushing it- it's amateur enough having 2 different stadiums in one season) they should be deducted points in my opinion. That is standard procedure even at Semi Pro level.

If this was a lower league club they'd be told where to go and forced to play all games at the temporary venue in one season. It's shocking for a top 6 Premier League club to be this far behind. In my opinion, they should be forced to wait until 19/20 to go to their new stadium.
Beat City and not get any points? It's a win-win! :drool: