Stéphanie Frappart to referee UEFA Super Cup

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by rio's upper lip, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Aug 2, 2019

Anustart89 Full Member

Eh, maybe this is me being weird but why should she officiate this game?

Surely they should be awarded these games on merit and seeing as she hasn’t refereed in the top of the French league for more than two games she really shouldn’t be in the running for this. The fact that they themselves (UEFA) are saying that they’re breaking ground indicates that this is just a PR move where we’re talking about equality of outcome rather than opportunity.

[​IMG]
  2. Aug 2, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    This could not have happened before the VAR-era.
  3. Aug 2, 2019

Untd55 New Member

She has one Ligue 1 game, but I agree with what you are saying. To be honest, it must be a bit annoying, if you're a referee with experience, being overlooked for a big game for someone with pretty much no experience at the top league level in their own country.

From Amien vs Strasbourg to Liverpool vs Chelsea. A big jump. Pretty sure they could have chosen another Ligue 1 referee, who at least has more experience in their own league.
  4. Aug 2, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    As long as I can call her all the things I call a male ref when he fecks up I'm fine with it. That's a problem I had with the Women's world cup. Calling a female player a cnut seems worse.
  5. Aug 2, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Not really.

Prefer Fernanda Colombo or Claudia Romani.
  6. Aug 2, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Also, she's lucky it's Lampard and not John Terry coaching Chelsea am I right?
  7. Aug 2, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

Great to see, haven't read the thread as I can't be bothered with the inevitable sexism, but hopefully this is the start of more female referees in the game.
  8. Aug 2, 2019

Foxtrot New Member

Supports:
    Die Mannschaft
    Is this a joke? Wow.
  9. Aug 2, 2019

macheda14 Full Member

‘She only officiated one game in Ligue 1’, why are people ignoring her being the referee during the Women’s World Cup final?
  10. Aug 2, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    You mean a first division side and a second division one.
  11. Aug 2, 2019

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Why is she refereeing mens football?

There is womens football for women.
  12. Aug 2, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Still smarting over the '98 Super Cup when we battered you?
  13. Aug 2, 2019

jojojo JoJoJoJoJoJo Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    Because she's a football referee. She referees men's and women's games.
  14. Aug 2, 2019

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Well it does. Referees are now put through rigorous fitness tests to ensure they are physically able to keep up with the pace of modern football. I remember reading a few years ago a post on here from (I think) a Canadian, who refereed in his spare time. He said he had some concerns as female referees had a lower bar for fitness in comparison to the men. As long she hits the requirements for mens football, and has shown a high aptitude for officiating, then fine. However, this is an absolutely massive game for her to be officiating with relatively little experience. Does this marry up with what we've seen in previous finals?
  15. Aug 2, 2019

MalcolmTucker Full Member

I agree that going from a single male Ligue 1 game to a showpiece match like this is clearly a PR stunt. Will be a lot of eyes on her, hope she has a quiet game.

I think having women referees will temper the disrespect and crowding around that male refs deal with which is a good thing, but it should be meritocracy based on experience and progression rather than foisted tokenism.
  16. Aug 2, 2019

Chipper Full Member

No.

Here's last season's ref - https://worldreferee.com/referee/szymon_marciniak/
    And the previous 4:
    https://worldreferee.com/referee/gianluca_rocchi/
    https://worldreferee.com/referee/milorad_mazic/
    https://worldreferee.com/referee/william_collum/
    https://worldreferee.com/referee/mark_clattenburg/ :nervous:
  17. Aug 2, 2019

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Nice
  18. Aug 2, 2019

Refs appointed by UEFA to European club competition matches are usually known quantities from their own national leagues. The kind of refs who the leagues themselves give their toughest or most high profile matches to. She isn't, she's a newbie in terms of her national league and therefore isn't a typical appointment.

That said, you're quite right. She's just come out of the Women's World Cup, and she got the final because she was doing a consistently good job through the tournament. It feels like a reward for the work she did there, which is not necessarily a bad thing, more an unusual thing.
  19. Aug 2, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Let's be serious, not many watch these games, and if they did they wouldn't remember the results if their lives depended on it... unless you're a small side.

What happened in the last five super cups? Who the feck knows.
  20. Aug 2, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

C'mon man. Why does it have to be a PR stunt and not just an effort to encourage more female refs? Women refs in football would never become the "most qualified" if they don't have examples of other women refs making it to the big stage.
  21. Aug 2, 2019

Anustart89 Full Member

Because she is not qualified to referee the game on merit, and UEFA themselves claim to “break ground” with the appointment. It might be to encourage more female referees but that doesn’t prevent it from being a PR stunt anyway, because she’s not there on merit but by virtue of her gender.

If she’d been an established referee at the top level of men’s football and was regarded as one of the best in the division then there would have been no complaints, and in line with what equality should be, ie both genders getting the opportunity to get there. The point is that the game would never have been officiated by a male referee who had only officiated one top-flight game in the men’s game.
  22. Aug 2, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

Yea you're right about it being a PR stunt as a side-effect of trying to break some of the systemic issues. People out there get publicity for all sorts of things so why not for something good.

As a woman ref who is about to officiate her biggest game, she'd have to work much harder at every stage of life and career than many male counterparts who may get the gig based on "merit". We should recognize that at the very least. Supercup is a glorified community shield but with perhaps more viewership. It is a great opportunity to let her showcase her ability.
  23. Aug 2, 2019

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    It's Liverpool, hard to imagine Chelsea (especially with Lampard as manager) ever considering a game against Liverpool as a friendly, it'll be about as friendly as that Madrid derby last week! Shame we sold Costa :lol:.

Plus only the 2nd competitive game for Lampard, for me it's a "proper" trophy. Nothing friendly or exhibition about it.

I do view the Community shield as more of a friendly, UEFA Super Cup is different though. Season has started and we want it in the cabinet.
  24. Aug 2, 2019

fergies coat Full Member

It’s a glorified friendly. Let’s not go over the top.
  25. Aug 2, 2019

maniak Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    From the matches I've watched live, players are way less aggressive and much more compliant when the ref is female.
  26. Aug 2, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Keys and Gray weren't in the game though. At not anymore for Gray and both of them still have highly paid jobs anyway
  27. Aug 2, 2019

conor New Member

I think it's funny to be of the opinion that all games of this type, hosted by UEFA and FIFA, have been awarded to male referees on merit. If she does well in this game, then it's another game on her CV, which could lead to her being awarded even more male games, which in turn will progress female refs in the male game. There is nothing bad about this at all, regardless of how it's come about.
  28. Aug 2, 2019

Chipper Full Member

Why?

I posted a few links to the profiles of the last 5 refs for supercups upthread. All of them had started off doing things like UEFA U19s, U17s etc, working themselves up, doing qualifying rounds of Europa League/Champions League matches, then groups stages then knockout rounds. For all of them the Super Cup was the first final they'd refereed, getting as high as things like Europa League or Champions League semis, quarters etc prior. They all had international experience too, again usually getting to last 16 or 8 in Euros and World Cups etc.

The process to get given the super cup took about 10 years of doing UEFA and FIFA games and while that was going on they were officiating in the top level of their domestic leagues the whole time. We might not rate them but UEFA do and they had to work their way up the ranks. The super cup is almost as high as they can get despite what fans may think about the match and is generally used as a precursor to giving a referee the EL or CL final in the next 1-3 years.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  29. Aug 2, 2019

IRELANDUNITED Full Member

No, it won't.
  30. Aug 2, 2019

shaky Full Member

Wait, so it was decided that we were the 2nd best team in Europe in 2017, after winning the Europa League then losing the Super Cup? That's news to me.
  31. Aug 2, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

You guys are lucky I am a catch and release kind of fisherman.

Was me calling this european charity shield "the biggest club game in the sport" not obvious enough?
  32. Aug 2, 2019

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

They aren't, they are probably earning more money with access to a wider audience than they ever had at Sky.
  33. Aug 2, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

That’s good to know! hopefully they remain respectful and she does a good match.
  34. Aug 2, 2019

Anustart89 Full Member

What’s sexist about suggesting that she’s not qualified for the job by virtue of not having established herself in the men’s game?

Oh right, you didn’t read the thread before chiming in.
  35. Aug 2, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

She's qualified because UEFA have deemed her to be qualified. That is good enough for me.

Don't be too upset when you watch the game.
  36. Aug 2, 2019

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

There is women's game, for women to play in, and officiate.

Men shouldnt get involved with women’s football, in any level, and vice versa with women in mens foootball.

And its not because i have anything against women, I adore women, and love everything about them.
  37. Aug 2, 2019

DBT85 Full Member

I literally cannot think of any reason why there should be no crossover. We already have men reffing womens games and Massey-Ellis has been an assistant in the PL since like 2011. Hell, comments about her are what freed us of Keys and Grey.

There are load of men coaching the womens teams too.
  38. Aug 2, 2019

You're 50 years too late.
  39. Aug 2, 2019

Raoul Admin Staff

Why is it such a big deal ?
  40. Aug 2, 2019

awop New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Can't tell if you're a wum or my grand-grand-grand father :confused: