g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Star Wars: Episode VIII

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ffs, I clicked reply to do a ":lol:" and it loaded the entire message. I saw the words Star Destroyer and managed to close it.
Apologies :lol: At least you emerged unscathed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Saw it and loved it. My favourite one of the lot.

Sylar

I hope Lucas is regretting selling the franchise to disney. They will ruin the legacy of these movies if the next one is the same.
Well given how ep1,2 and 3 went compared to 7 and 8 so far, I think Disney are coming out better overall vs Lucas.

Teasing Rey's parentage all the time and then making her a nobody was great and unpredictable for me. And they still left room for speculation. Snoke said he was responsible for the connection between Kylo and Rey, but in the end they can see each other again. Killing Snoke off without a great reveal was kind of cool too. Luke's end was brilliant.
I absolutely enjoyed / loved these parts you mentioned. As said, it didnt go the 'predictable' route.

Leia's scene in space or Yoda's appearance
Agreed about the former. On reflection, I couldnt stop laughing. It was very.... cartoony :lol:

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm not a massive Star Wars fan and I quite liked TWA too (though this is much better imo).

My 2 main problems were

The Rose & Finn side plot felt a bit pointless and distracting, it seemed to only be there so that Finn actually had something to do in the film.
I was thinking this until the final scene. Basically their side plot ensured they touched the 'hearts' of the younger generation and kept the rebelious nature of the force alive with them. The kids essentially might be the next generation to ensure the Rebellion continues / never dies out given how many were actually left by the end of the movie.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
There are plenty of people online who seem to think the prequels were better.

I think they need to go re-watch them and see if they still think that way.

Sandyman

Just back from seeing it and I thought it was alright. Thought it could have been shorter though as it felt like they were dragging the story along at a few places. Few really great scenes too and if you don't fixate much on the plot holes, it's a decent watch.
It was kind of expected, and I know he will be back in the next episodes as a ghost, but I wish they did not kill off Luke.
The planet where they took the last stand - when the surface gets disturbed, it turns red, well that was cool.
Lightsaber fight on Snoke's ship :drool:
And, the ship jumping to hyperspace - that was frigging awesome
And last but not least, Luke walking out as a badass and facing the order on his own! Loved it.

Shark

@NotShark

Revenge Of The Sith wasn’t the worst, from what I remember and I think there would actually be a decent argument for it being better. The first two, not a chance.

Ubik

I was thinking this until the final scene. Basically their side plot ensured they touched the 'hearts' of the younger generation and kept the rebelious nature of the force alive with them. The kids essentially might be the next generation to ensure the Rebellion continues / never dies out given how many were actually left by the end of the movie.
Yeah I can see the purpose of it in that way, but I really disliked the way it was done, it felt very prequel era. As did the coda in a way, that kid felt like an Anakin reference. Pretty much everyone has mentioned that side plot as the low point so I really wish they'd caught that themselves and made it a different way to achieve the same end.

It's genuinely odd. Can definitely get people not liking this, up to the halfway point I was heading that way myself, but the worst parts of it are the ones that resemble the prequels.

John_Jensen

At least the prequels had a, though flawed, sense of narrative to them. This trilogy is just a hodgepodge of nostalgic throwbacks mixed in with a whole heap of terrible ideas stitched together with pointless & boring action scenes. Paper thin Twilight style teen angsty characters, inept 'villians', awful dialog(as bad as anything in the prequels, almost!), cringe inducingly lame attempts at 'humour', plot twists for the sake of plot twists(beating you over the head with the parents thing long after anyone gave a shit!).

I was gobsmacked by how shit it was. Give me the prequels any day of the week, this is the cinematic equivalent of an Ed Sheeran album.

Rooney1987

At least the prequels had a, though flawed, sense of narrative to them. This trilogy is just a hodgepodge of nostalgic throwbacks mixed in with a whole heap of terrible ideas stitched together with pointless & boring action scenes. Paper thin Twilight style teen angsty characters, inept 'villians', awful dialog(as bad as anything in the prequels, almost!), cringe inducingly lame attempts at 'humour', plot twists for the sake of plot twists(beating you over the head with the parents thing long after anyone gave a shit!).

I was gobsmacked by how shit it was. Give me the prequels any day of the week, this is the cinematic equivalent of an Ed Sheeran album.
“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.” one of many classics. It's not even close.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Weird film. In parts it was very good but then other parts didn't work so well.

The Luke/Rey/Ren stuff was solid and interesting. Luke inadvertently being the one who created Ren etc was well done, as was the idea of the Jedi actually being a bit shite. The problem was that Finn's subplot didn't really add much to the whole thing and felt like a distraction more than anything else.

While 'rehash' comments when talking about TESB are a bit over the top compared to TFA/ANH, I can see why some complaints exist in the context of the whole trilogy; this was still the sort of 'heroes at their worst' second part to the trilogy which likely means the third's just going to be a typical 'good guys win' fest with a predictable ending. Which does make the trilogy seem a bit pointless, pessimistic as that sounds. But was decent overall. Overdid the humour but when they got it right, was sometimes more interesting than TFA.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Revenge Of The Sith wasn’t the worst, from what I remember and I think there would actually be a decent argument for it being better. The first two, not a chance.
Nah, ROTS was still crap. The writing's terrible, as is the pacing. People only like it more than other two because stuff occasionally happens.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.” one of many classics. It's not even close.
"It's over Anakin, I have the high ground!", "You underestimate my power... ", "Don't try it."

Ubik

"It's over Anakin, I have the high ground!", "You underestimate my power... ", "Don't try it."
"Uuuuunliiiimiteeeed POWEEEEEEEER!"

"From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

John_Jensen

Yeah that's a famously bad line, there are some in the original trilogy too.

Give me those over the 'action-action-pause...one liner' moments all over this rubbish, or the 'hello hello, i can hear you..can you hear me' scutterfest at the beginning. Jesus wept!

Rooney1987

Nah, ROTS was still crap. The writing's terrible, as is the pacing. People only like it more than other two because stuff occasionally happens.
Agreed, people like it for pretty much 3 scenes. The opera scene with Palpatine and Anakin, the killing of the Jedi after Anakin turns with the great John Williams music and the Vader scene before the weird NOOOO (that does spoil it but the build up and switch to Luke/Leia being born really works). The rest is as bad as the other 2 for me.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man

It's called emotions, if you want to see something from Twilight then you don't need to look further than Hayden Christensen. And no the dialogues are on a complete different level than the prequels and so is everything else. I don't know what's bad about the action scenes at all, don't think anything tops Episode 8 in that regard. And the humour works and isn't too much, try hard is what I would call the prequels "humour". Jar Jar Binks is a prime example of that. Hey I am speaking nonsensical stuff like Yoda, but I am not a badass but rather a useless idiot and I need to prove that in every scene I am in isn't funny and still everyone thinks it's a good thing to make him senator, yeah that's what I call great storytelling.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
It’s definitely the best of the prequels because it’s the only one that has a decent story which almost matches the originals.

But the prequels should have had Obi-Wan (a little arrogant, used to things turning out well) going to an obscure planet in a time of turmoil (perhaps the beginning of the Clone Wars). There he meets a brilliant young pilot, Anakin, a couple of years younger, who helps him in his quest and turns out to be strong in the Force (if it hadn’t been for the conflict the Jedi Order would have found him sooner). Obi-Wan decides to train him although he’s too old. They have lots of adventures together but eventually Anakin becomes frustrated by his rejection by the Jedi and their inability to maintain peace.

Padme can’t be the main cause of his rebellion since we know that Leia knew her mother.

But still, certainly the best of the three. Hayden Christensen makes a good Anakin; it’s the script and direction that are the problem.

Last edited:

Rooney1987

It’s definitely the best of the prequels because it’s the only one that has a decent story which almost matches the originals.

But the prequels should have had Obi-Wan going to an obscure planet in a time of turmoil (perhaps the beginning of the Clone Wars). There he meets a brilliant young pilot, Anakin, a couple of years younger, who helps him in his quest and turns out to be strong in the Force (if it hadn’t been for the conflict the Jedi Order would have found him sooner). Obi-Wan decides to train him although he’s too old. They have lots of adventures together but eventually Anakin becomes frustrated by his rejection by the Jedi and their inability to maintain peace.

Padme can’t be the main cause of his rebellion since we know that Leia knew her mother.

But still, certainly the best of the three. Hayden Christensen makes a good Anakin; it’s the script and direction that are the problem.
Was having this debate the other day and I said I would cut Qui-Gon Jinn from the Ep1. He is one of the highlights of a bad film and Liam Neeson plays a Jedi really well but his character is kind of pointless. Maybe don't cut him but remove him as the lead put him on the Jedi council with Yoda. As you say should have been Obi-Wan that finds a young (not a child) Anakin. Would have made the Obi-Wan fight at the end more impactful, he spends most of Ep 1 whinging about having him around.

acnumber9

I thought it was a terrible slapstick comedy. Come back George Lucas, almost all is forgiven.

Bobski

The main thing I recall from the prequels now, other than disappointment, is how ridiculously beautiful Natalie Portman was, especially in AOTC.

Just trying to imagine the backlash against them given contemporary social media.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Listening to the director speaking, it sounds like he wasn't really given an end point he had to reach so much as being largely allowed to take off from TFA in the direction he thought best.

With that in mind, a lot of the complaints about storylines from the TFA not being followed through on sort of make sense to me. A lot of the storylines they seemed to be setting up also seemed to be set on rather predictable tracks. It's rather easy to imagine a director with Johnson's sensibility seeing that as an opportunity to play with people's expectations rather than faithfully following through with what might have been expected, for good or for ill.

The reaction to this film is rather interesting given the next series is under his control.

Last edited:

John_Jensen

It's called emotions, if you want to see something from Twilight then you don't need to look further than Hayden Christensen. And no the dialogues are on a complete different level than the prequels and so is everything else. I don't know what's bad about the action scenes at all, don't think anything tops Episode 8 in that regard. And the humour works and isn't too much, try hard is what I would call the prequels "humour". Jar Jar Binks is a prime example of that. Hey I am speaking nonsensical stuff like Yoda, but I am not a badass but rather a useless idiot and I need to prove that in every scene I am in isn't funny and still everyone thinks it's a good thing to make him senator, yeah that's what I call great storytelling.

Emotions me hole, it's pure dogshit. And the 'humour' was fecking cringeworthy from star to finish.

You seem to think i like the prequels, i think they range from terrible to passibly-bad. But better than this train wreck.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Saw something about the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes being frozen when it went down to 59%? Disney must not be happy...

Ubik

Saw something about the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes being frozen when it went down to 59%? Disney must not be happy...
It's at 58 now so must've been brief if it happened.
Listening to the director speaking, it sounds like he wasn't really given an end point he had to reach so much as being largely allowed to take off from TFA in the direction he thought best.

With that in mind, a lot of the complaints about storylines from the TFA not being followed through on sort of make sense to me. A lot of the storylines they seemed to be setting up also seemed to be set on rather predictable tracks. It's rather easy to imagine a director with Johnson's sensibility seeing that as an opportunity to play with people's expectations rather than faithfully following through with what might have been expected, for good or for ill.

The reaction to this film is rather interesting given the next series is under his control.
This in the Mayo interview? Was surprised when I heard he just had a blank slate, thought they'd have mapped out a general direction for the trilogy prior to TFA and let him work around that.

This has actually made me look forward to his own trilogy more, hopefully that's set in another time and space and away from preconceptions about what certain characters should be doing, both from the audience's standpoint and the filmmaker's.

If anyone's still bothered about reviews, more or less agreed with this one from Kermode

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Emotions me hole, it's pure dogshit. And the 'humour' was fecking cringeworthy from star to finish.

You seem to think i like the prequels, i think they range from terrible to passibly-bad. But better than this train wreck.
And you really think they are better? Just can't really see it. I understand people not liking VII or VIII, but imo they are without a doubt better made than the prequels in pretty much every area. I don't know what's so cringey? Maybe the "mother" joke in the opening scene, but apart from that.

It's on 93% there. User reviews are on 58%, but like on Metacritic it's difficult to take them serious. There are way too many people there who just put in a 1/10 or a half-star rating instead of doing a proper review. I mean I wouldn't even give Episode 1 or 2 a 1/10 (probably a 4 for 1 and a 3 for 2) and I think they are pretty bad, but there are still a lot of movies outthere who are even worse.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's at 58 now so must've been brief if it happened.

This in the Mayo interview? Was surprised when I heard he just had a blank slate, thought they'd have mapped out a general direction for the trilogy prior to TFA and let him work around that.

This has actually made me look forward to his own trilogy more, hopefully that's set in another time and space and away from preconceptions about what certain characters should be doing, both from the audience's standpoint and the filmmaker's.

If anyone's still bothered about reviews, more or less agreed with this one from Kermode

Indeed it was. Was very surprised at how much control he seemed to have, though they obviously do trust him given they handed him the new set before this was was even released.

acnumber9

I don't know what's so cringey? Maybe the "mother" joke in the opening scene, but apart from that.
Making Luke Skywalker a hobo milking strange creatures? Space hamsters? Having Kylo Ren topless in a scene for a shitty joke? The jokes made me angry to a point where I'm not sure I could objectively judge the better parts of the film. It's fine to make a shit space comedy. It's less fine to call it a Star Wars film.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Making Luke Skywalker a hobo milking strange creatures? Space hamsters? Having Kylo Ren topless in a scene for a shitty joke? The jokes made me angry to a point where I'm not sure I could objectively judge the better parts of the film. It's fine to make a shit space comedy. It's less fine to call it a Star Wars film.
Star Wars has always had really corny shit jokes in it though, they're literally a massive part of the charm.

Yoda being as cooky and chintzy and ridiculous looking and sounding as he is is one huge shit joke.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
It's on 93% there. User reviews are on 58%, but like on Metacritic it's difficult to take them serious. There are way too many people there who just put in a 1/10 or a half-star rating instead of doing a proper review. I mean I wouldn't even give Episode 1 or 2 a 1/10 (probably a 4 for 1 and a 3 for 2) and I think they are pretty bad, but there are still a lot of movies outthere who are even worse.
Audience score is different from average rating though. The score just shows how many people liked it so it doesn't really matter if you think it's 1/10 bad or 4/10 bad.
The average rating is actually 8.2 for reviews and 6.8 for users.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just got back from seeing it and it's very good.

I didn't enjoy it as much as TFA but it's a better film if that makes sense.

Me and my mate both agreed that people were a bit taken aback by how good TFA was given how negatively EP1-3 are seen (they're better than people say in reality) and that helped with peoples assessment of TFA.

This is a much better structured film and there's more depth to it but it's less enjoyable and more serious.

acnumber9

Star Wars has always had really corny shit jokes in it though, they're literally a massive part of the charm.

Yoda being as cooky and chintzy and ridiculous looking and sounding as he is is one huge shit joke.
It did but it wasn't peppered throughout and at no stage did they give us Darth Vader just getting out of the shower or having main characters milking space cows. It's only part of the charm when it's not completely out of character or shoehorned in. It was one of the shit parts of the prequels and it wasn't anywhere near as prevelant as it was in this.

You can't try and make a film that tries to make serious statements about the jedi's and nature of the force and then throw in slapstick comedy a couple of seconds later.