g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Laurencio

Where was it marketed as such?

this isn’t no man’s sky and it’s always been made plain this is a RPG set in space.

I agree withthe rest of your post - the sentiment.
I mean, the entire sales pitch of the collective is "wow, space exploration is a noble endeavour that is much more important than silly politics, business and material things".

Yet those are the part of the game that works best. :lol:

Some of you are still trying to work your VCRs right? :lol:
Have you tried setting the time on one of those? It's a virtually impossible!

The more I read about this the less I want to play it. Been spoilt by amazing modern games this year and this sounds so dated and bland in comparison.
It's great fun as long as you understand what you are playing. It's not an open world exploration game, but very good episodic rpg set in space. Think of each questline as a season in a Sci-Fi show and it all makes sense, and is quite fun to play. Fast travel is basically just the intro to a new episode.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I know that some people say that review scores on metacritic dont matter because its all subjective and that jazz but as a consumer with a limited budget who am i supposed to rely on when i have make decision about whether a game is worth the money or not? Personally i tend to not trust Ign and gamespot the least for AAA titles but in this instance i think they got it right. In general games that score high on metacritic are worth it but with Diablo 4 and Starfield you are kind of left with the feeling of being conned. I think its a certain sign when the developer withholds the game from certain reviewers that something is amiss.

Last edited:

Herman Toothrot

Ignore that mate, I thought you meant the GP as a whole. Believe it or not loads on the likes of twitter/Reddit want to believe it might crumble if Starfield did :lol:
:lol:

I don't understand the backlash beyond it being not to someone's taste. I'm really enjoying it and the modding a DLC opportunities seem endless.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
:lol:

I don't understand the backlash beyond it being not to someone's taste. I'm really enjoying it and the modding a DLC opportunities seem endless.
Personally, I think it's decent enough. Disappointing in many areas, but surprisingly good in others.

Some of the backlash directed at what they were hyping/promised is fair, but a lot is just the weirdos who want to see games fail because they are on the "wrong" system or even in the wrong genre for them. Oddballs to say the least!

Siorac

So far my impression is that more than anything else the game is simply... boring.

I was pushed into the main story about some generic artifact that I don't really care about, and came to a city that is seemingly populated entirely by fetch quests.

Seriously, if New Atlantis were any more bland I'd be in danger of mistaking it for tap water.

I'm going to fly away and look for some action though I can't say the combat impressed me - it's a little too bullet sponge-y.

Gehrman

So far my impression is that more than anything else the game is simply... boring.

I was pushed into the main story about some generic artifact that I don't really care about, and came to a city that is seemingly populated entirely by fetch quests.

Seriously, if New Atlantis were any more bland I'd be in danger of mistaking it for tap water.

I'm going to fly away and look for some action though I can't say the combat impressed me - it's a little too bullet sponge-y.
Get your hands on an advanced regulator. Oneshots most enemies and kills most tougher ones in a few shots.

Nickosaur

Got a day off today so will be putting some more hours in.

Still having an awful lot of fun. Going to focus on the Rangers faction quest as I'm really digging Akila city.

Redlambs

Btw pro tip - clicking the right thumb stick will do a melee attack
I right trigger everything in sight. Pew Pew
One thing I like about the combat is how Halo it feels to jump over things, get in close and gun but to the head.

Screw pumping a hundred bullets into someone, get in there and slap them up for daring to even look at you!

Gehrman

Finished the final main quest

Starting a ng+ as a starborn seems cool enough. But you loose everything you own. All your weapons, money, resources everything. And ng+isnt scaled so since you get to keep your lvl, powers and skills you are overpowered, but i dont understand why they couldnt up the levels of all the enemies at least. Decent game but i dont think the game is engaging enough to start over. Like many have said the game picks up during combat the rest is somewhat of a snoozefest and the loading screens makes it difficult to sit through

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Finished the final main quest

Starting a ng+ as a starborn seems cool enough. But you loose everything you own. All your weapons, money, resources everything. And ng+isnt scaled so since you get to keep your lvl, powers and skills you are overpowered, but i dont understand why they couldnt up the levels of all the enemies at least. Decent game but i dont think the game is engaging enough to start over. Like many have said the game picks up during combat the rest is somewhat of a snoozefest and the loading screens makes it difficult to sit through
In theory the ng+ is a brilliant idea, the alternate universes being different from one another could be so interesting, but it’s really half baked and a bit of a dud

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

In a short while you’ll have the opposite problem, even on the hardest difficulty you just wipe everything away. That combined with the bad AI and there’s just no challenge at all.

I actually did enjoy the combat though, especially in low grav. It’s not outstanding or anything but I found it fun.

Siorac

In a short while you’ll have the opposite problem, even on the hardest difficulty you just wipe everything away. That combined with the bad AI and there’s just no challenge at all.

I actually did enjoy the combat though, especially in low grav. It’s not outstanding or anything but I found it fun.
I've made my way to Mars since then and wiped out an outpost populated by hostile spacers. Flying around with a jetpack while shooting bad guys who are taking cover and throwing grenades is the most fun I've had in this game yet. It's already more interesting than the main story so I've made the executive decision to just completely abandon that. My new goal is to become rich by shooting people.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
managed to build a ship now without ladders. Apart from at the dock. Need to do a huge overhaul again to get the side entry docker. will do at some point.

I can't stop playing it. Every time I have more than 10 mins spare, I end up with the controller in my hand.

Gehrman

In theory the ng+ is a brilliant idea, the alternate universes being different from one another could be so interesting, but it’s really half baked and a bit of a dud
I really felt they could have let you keep your weapons and ammo though. Im attached to my favourite weapons and having to find them again would be a grind. No doubt the game would easy enough, its just one of those things i dont want to redo

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I really felt they could have let you keep your weapons and ammo though. Im attached to my favourite weapons and having to find them again would be a grind. No doubt the game would easy enough, its just one of those things i dont want to redo
yeah agreed, even more so your ships, or at least a blueprint for them.

So, is the NG stuff actually the most amazing thing ever?

Because Todd and Alock seem to think it is. What's the verdict?
I think it was a great idea, but really poorly executed. It’s a shame because story wise it could have been really interesting, but it ends up only really amounting to a superficial change. As for the game as a whole I had a lot of fun, and I can see why some love it, but it just feels a little undercooked to me. I’d give it an 83

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I've made my way to Mars since then and wiped out an outpost populated by hostile spacers. Flying around with a jetpack while shooting bad guys who are taking cover and throwing grenades is the most fun I've had in this game yet. It's already more interesting than the main story so I've made the executive decision to just completely abandon that. My new goal is to become rich by shooting people.
I really enjoyed that too, one problem that comes up is the outposts tend to be recycled a hell of a lot, which dampened my enthusiasm.

I sound really negative but I did have a lot of fun, but your post was fair about the negatives. The main quest does open up and introduce a new system which is also kind of fun
very reminiscent of the shouts in skyrim

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Redskys Review as a Lvl14:

+ Combat is fun despite being bullet spongy.
+ Artwork is pretty with a few exceptions (faces).
+ Starship builder is novel.
+ Toilet roll tubes.
+ Space Stations/Bases are well designed. Only found one repetition so far.

- Music is generic and forgettable.
- Companions get in the way ALL THE TIME.
- Companions and NPCs in general are boring and one note characters.
- Some of the locations are bland.
- Main Mission is shite.
- Throws you in the deep end with no explanation on any of the mechanics. Forcing players to read guides is not a well designed game.
- The AI is laughably bad.
- The way the game deals with occupying other ships is so fecking frustrating. Having your home ship removed is annoying as feck.

Redlambs

I'm level 2 at New Atlantis how's that relevant?
I was hoping you had built a sandwich ship :(

Redskys Review as a Lvl14:

+ Combat is fun despite being bullet spongy.
+ Artwork is pretty with a few exceptions (faces).
+ Starship builder is novel.
+ Toilet roll tubes.
+ Space Stations/Bases are well designed. Only found one repetition so far.

- Music is generic and forgettable.
- Companions get in the way ALL THE TIME.
- Companions and NPCs in general are boring and one note characters.
- Some of the locations are bland.
- Main Mission is shite.
- Throws you in the deep end with no explanation on any of the mechanics. Forcing players to read guides is not a well designed game.
- The AI is laughably bad.
- The way the game deals with occupying other ships is so fecking frustrating. Having your home ship removed is annoying as feck.
So...Bethesda all over running on the same engine all their games do

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So...Bethesda all over running on the same engine all their games do
It feels like to me a load of different gameplay components and they threw in a bland story and shitty writing as an after thought.

I understand the reasoning behind the skill tree, but it's highly frustrating that you can't craft stuff because it's behind a tier system. I am collecting so much shit that I can't use because i'm having to put my points into the stamina/commerce and lockpicking skills which are essential to playing the game without pulling your hair out. But that also means that my ship is full of crafting stuff which I can't do anything with.

I think what they probably should have done is give you 1 point per level for each tech tree. Maybe there's merchants that sells ways of unlocking tech trees? No idea. But it's really fecking annoying. It feels like the type of game where you have to play for 100+ hours just to reach the point of being able to actually do some of the more interesting shit because it's all hidden behind tech trees etc.

It's actually a deeply annoying game in many ways if I'm being honest. It's just a horrific grind, which currently is not so bad because most of the things i'm finding at the moment are unique, but when the repetition starts that's when it'll become a bit shite.

Redlambs

It feels like to me a load of different gameplay components and they threw in a bland story and shitty writing as an after thought.

I understand the reasoning behind the skill tree, but it's highly frustrating that you can't craft stuff because it's behind a tier system. I am collecting so much shit that I can't use because i'm having to put my points into the stamina/commerce and lockpicking skills which are essential to playing the game without pulling your hair out. But that also means that my ship is full of crafting stuff which I can't do anything with.

I think what they probably should have done is give you 1 point per level for each tech tree. Maybe there's merchants that sells ways of unlocking tech trees? No idea. But it's really fecking annoying. It feels like the type of game where you have to play for 100+ hours just to reach the point of being able to actually do some of the more interesting shit because it's all hidden behind tech trees etc.

It's actually a deeply annoying game in many ways if I'm being honest. It's just a horrific grind, which currently is not so bad because most of the things i'm finding at the moment are unique, but when the repetition starts that's when it'll become a bit shite.
Yes. You and I both suffer a lot for our love of games, we both put up with endless shite too (including from a mutual friend ;)). Starfield is one of those weird ones where we know it's actually shite, but somehow there is something there that makes it better than expected.

Like I've said from the moment I booted it up...the parts are all there. Once again it's just a shame they aren't used properly.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I think we can all agree it's better than Cyberpunk and that's all that matters