Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Coxy

Same here. I think so much of the criticism is valid - but I'm also having a blast.

I haven't done any quests in about 5 hours in my current save, just had a personal goal to completely scan a system that I randomly stumbled upon. You get a surprising amount of XP for scanning planets 100% and with a few skill points invested in the scanning perks it's a lot of fun.

Going to pick one of the faction quests to focus on now, possibly the UC/Vanguard. Freestar Rangers was a little dull in terms of plot but have heard Vanguard is excellent.
Yeah the vanguard quest is great - for me it felt more like the Main quest in a way

Kaos

I'm legit on the fence now as to whether this is worth purchasing a series S for...
I'd say no.

This is an inferior game to Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3 IMO. I'd wait until the modding community really polishes it.

Until then I'd certainly say it's not worth buying a new console for.

GazTheLegend

Well, after finishing the game, on reflection I’m marking it down to a 8. Had really good fun - but yeah too many negatives for me. Such a shame
Spoiler free questions:

Is the gunplay solid?
Does it have a hardcore mode?
Is it really like Fallout 4 in Space?
Is it likely to get some good DLC content down the line? FO4 obviously had some fantastic options in the end, Far Harbour in particular was epic.
Could the problems with it be modded out on PC?

I feel like I'm likely to get the game 2-3 years down the line anyway, same thing I did with Fallout 4 which is nowadays one of my favourite games of all time - if only because of the brilliantly balanced hardcore mode.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm taking the plunge next week. Console and all. I've had every PlayStation up until now.

I hope you're happy Bill Gates. You finally got me. I feel absolutely filthy.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm taking the plunge next week. Console and all. I've had every PlayStation up until now.

Starfield was the game that moved the needle for you?

Coxy

Spoiler free questions:

Is the gunplay solid?
Does it have a hardcore mode?
Is it really like Fallout 4 in Space?
Is it likely to get some good DLC content down the line? FO4 obviously had some fantastic options in the end, Far Harbour in particular was epic.
Could the problems with it be modded out on PC?

I feel like I'm likely to get the game 2-3 years down the line anyway, same thing I did with Fallout 4 which is nowadays one of my favourite games of all time - if only because of the brilliantly balanced hardcore mode.
Gunplay is solid yes - an upgrade from fallout 4 (which already for me was great fun)
nope no hardcore mode
No it’s not fallout in space - it’s not like fallout or Skyrim where you can just wander and wander. I lost my immersion constantly with the many loading screens / flying to get to places etc
Not sure about the DLC sorry
Yeah mods will sort out the issues I’m sure

if you have time I’d watch the Angry Joe review. It’s spoiler free (well at least what I’ve watched so far) and it explains the negatives really well, with the positives too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Curiosity is a powerful thing. Same situation for me but I had merely borrowed the Xbox. Learnt my lesson though - Bethesda is not a studio worth getting excited over for me personally.

GazTheLegend

Gunplay is solid yes - an upgrade from fallout 4 (which already for me was great fun)
nope no hardcore mode
No it’s not fallout in space - it’s not like fallout or Skyrim where you can just wander and wander. I lost my immersion constantly with the many loading screens / flying to get to places etc
Not sure about the DLC sorry
Yeah mods will sort out the issues I’m sure

if you have time I’d watch the Angry Joe review. It’s spoiler free (well at least what I’ve watched so far) and it explains the negatives really well, with the positives too.
Nice one, thank you

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I checked GamePass first to see what else would make it worthwhile. Star Wars Squadrons, WreckFest, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Yakuza 0 and Stellaris have all been on my list for a while. Pretty good return for the £203 it cost me for a Series S and 3 months of GamePass ultimate.
Curiosity is a powerful thing. Same situation for me but I had merely borrowed the Xbox. Learnt my lesson though - Bethesda is not a studio worth getting excited over for me personally.
Always had a soft spot for Bethesda's titles, I'm 7 hours in and already hooked. But I do acknowledge that they'd reach another level if their open worlds lived and breathed something like RDR 2's.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I have loved and am continuing to love this game. Flawed yes but also really absorbing once you’ve accepted its limitations. It’s really got under my skin and scratching exactly the same itch as Skyrim for me.

Well worth the price of my XBox IMO

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I checked GamePass first to see what else would make it worthwhile. Star Wars Squadrons, WreckFest, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Yakuza 0 and Stellaris have all been on my list for a while. Pretty good return for the £203 it cost me for a Series S and 3 months of GamePass ultimate.

Always had a soft spot for Bethesda's titles, I'm 7 hours in and already hooked. But I do acknowledge that they'd reach another level if their open worlds lived and breathed something like RDR 2's.
:drool::drool::drool:

Volumiza

Well, I played thorugh it twice and really enjoyed it. That being said, reached a point where I couldn't be arsed playing anymore so that's that.

Been playing Skyrim on and off for the duration of it's lifetime and I still play it without feeling bored. Starfield's got none of that unfortunately. It's got the basics of an excellent game but is so disjointed and compartmentalised. Saying that, I'll be interested in any updates that could make it what it could so easily have been.

Herman Toothrot

Well, I played thorugh it twice and really enjoyed it. That being said, reached a point where I couldn't be arsed playing anymore so that's that.

Been playing Skyrim on and off for the duration of it's lifetime and I still play it without feeling bored. Starfield's got none of that unfortunately. It's got the basics of an excellent game but is so disjointed and compartmentalised. Saying that, I'll be interested in any updates that could make it what it could so easily have been.
I finished it.

Well, sort of...

I decided to go into the void or whatever it was, then I returned as a Starborn and it threw me back to the start of the game with nothing except a fancy (but impractical) new ship. I told those dweebs at Constellation everything, do I just need to go back and collect all the artefacts again? Then what happens? Also, am I really expected to replay all the quests despite knowing what happens? Am I supposed to pretend to not know where Kryx's Legacy is or how Terrormorphs are getting from planet to planet? I am doing admin missions in an alien ship dressed like someone from the far future and nobody cares... it's weird.

Volumiza

I finished it.

Well, sort of...

I decided to go into the void or whatever it was, then I returned as a Starborn and it threw me back to the start of the game with nothing except a fancy (but impractical) new ship. I told those dweebs at Constellation everything, do I just need to go back and collect all the artefacts again? Then what happens? Also, am I really expected to replay all the quests despite knowing what happens? Am I supposed to pretend to not know where Kryx's Legacy is or how Terrormorphs are getting from planet to planet? I am doing admin missions in an alien ship dressed like someone from the far future and nobody cares... it's weird.
Yep, you're meant to play through knowing what you previsouly knew. It's ok but I have no interest in going through it again. And the ship you get is pretty sh*t really considering.

Herman Toothrot

Yep, you're meant to play through knowing what you previsouly knew. It's ok but I have no interest in going through it again. And the ship you get is pretty sh*t really considering.
How does the main story end the second time?

Volumiza

How does the main story end the second time?
Without spoilers the differences on ng+1 are pretty negligible.
you needn’t lose a mate during the attack on the eye
I understand things can swap out and be different after ng+2 but I’d got a bit bored by that time and couldn’t be harrised to start again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not played this but found it interesting as always from Jakey. So many companies just resting on their laurels these days.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Not played this but found it interesting as always from Jakey. So many companies just resting on their laurels these days.

Had to laugh out loud a couple of times, so true. I gave it a second chance, really did and as long as I can have some entertaining FPS moments - like with Cyberpunk- I‘m pretty forgiving but this is just bonkers level of boredom and laughable quest design at times.

Kaos

Emil Pagliarulo making a right prick of himself of late.

Yeah, "Don't be fooled"...from the company who spent the last 6 years actively doing all they could to fool people.
No idea how this fella has kept his job at Bethesda's chief designer/writer for so long. He's essentially the Uwe Boll of video game designers.

The sooner they bin him and silo Todd Howard into a chief marketing role the better. Then they can actually work on actually building a new engine and bringing in some writers worth their bread. If Larian with a fraction of their resources could write/design something as spectacular as BG3, not sure why BGS with the MS juggernaut behind them couldn't follow suit.

Cloud7

I have loved and am continuing to love this game. Flawed yes but also really absorbing once you’ve accepted its limitations. It’s really got under my skin and scratching exactly the same itch as Skyrim for me.

Well worth the price of my XBox IMO

The duality of man. That being said I feel you on Skyrim. I've done so many playthroughs and put so many hours into it and never once felt bored. Few things feel as good as a new Skyrim playthrough :D

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So this game is mid then?
As it comes out more and more about it, and what Bethesda and some of the staff actually think about reviewers/gamers, it's becoming clearer that lesson were not learned from watching the Cyberpunk fallout.

The game itself is the very definition of mid though. In that it's not fantastic and there aren't that many big highs, but it's not trash and there aren't that many big lows. It's just kind of there and it is playable.

Volumiza

The duality of man. That being said I feel you on Skyrim. I've done so many playthroughs and put so many hours into it and never once felt bored. Few things feel as good as a new Skyrim playthrough :D
:) I get ya.

I did love it (Starfield) for a few weeks. Still loved it when everyone else was griping about it. The PSVR2 update for No mans sky was of more interest when that was released though. For all the hype around Starfield, NMS is by far the better space exploration game.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:) I get ya.

I did love it (Starfield) for a few weeks. Still loved it when everyone else was griping about it. The PSVR2 update for No mans sky was of more interest when that was released though. For all the hype around Starfield, NMS is by far the better space exploration game.
Great post tbf

Drainy

Always loved Bethesda games regardless of the jank, but couldn't get into Starfield after a dozen or so hours played.

The studio has always been staffed by arrogant condescending bastards, so unsurprising they are acting how they are about the online criticism.

Sad if they go the way of Bioware living off reputation and assuming that because they usually are successful that it will just continue to happen..

RedRoach

For me with Skyrim it was the depth and options provided by the levelling system and general open exploration that makes it so repayable again and again. The levelling in a space RPG like Starfield is just not very interesting. I looked at the tree in Starfield and just thought all outcomes just feel very samey. There is no like wow if I go this way I can become a dark, backstabbing thief or this way an amazing archer or mage. Is there really that much difference between being good with a shotgun vs a machine gun? Then you combine that will the fast travel taking you to different levels it just doesn't feel very open.