State of the refs in this country

Coleyoscar

Did anyone imagine that a collection of incompetents who even struggle to press a couple of buttons on an electronic sign would use sophisticated technology in an efficient or effective manner?
Week after week we suffer this appalling standard - and these guys are 'professionals' apparently.

ElectroManiac

That was a pathetic showing of refereeing.

Give that red card to Cahil, and that penalty to Martial and would have been a different game. The yellow to James was so pathetic as well. This Ref plus the ones behind VAR shouldn't get another game.

dev1l

I watch football at all levels - amateur , professional, seniors and juniors and I ve seen some really bad refs.
But still cannot believe that with all the resources involved, the clown refereeing today s match was the best the FA could get.
The guy was completely clueless and got most big decisions wrong.

kidbob

Look we were terrible going forward today but that ref was a disgrace. Even without the obvious calls he just let Palace kick lumps out of us without warning them enough. There should have been a yellow early and telling the captain to get them to cut it out. Felt like we were fouled every time we had possession.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I get the anger over referees. As a supporter and a fornmer player, I used to get so wound up with referees who were, in my words 'shit'.

The criticism is never going to go away but until I started reffing, I had no idea just how tough it is. Something on the TV that looks so obvious can be missed by the ref for various reasons. I was doing a game towards the end of last season and missed (after watching it back) a blatant red card tackle. I actually gave the free kick the other way. Why? I was too close. I was less than a yard away and the ball was loose with 2 players coming into challenge for it. One player got the ball, the other hit the man but came worse off and in the split second with the almost blurred view I had, I was convinced that the player who actually won the ball, had caught the man instead.
The benches went mad as you can imagine and looking back, I was angry with myself for not being better positioned but actually I was perfectly positioned for where the ball was no more than 2 seconds earlier.

A referee like a player can get caught out and miss things that seem obvious. It still winds me up as a fan but I sympathise with referees at the top level where millions see a mistake each and every week

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I get the anger over referees. As a supporter and a fornmer player, I used to get so wound up with referees who were, in my words 'shit'.

The criticism is never going to go away but until I started reffing, I had no idea just how tough it is. Something on the TV that looks so obvious can be missed by the ref for various reasons. I was doing a game towards the end of last season and missed (after watching it back) a blatant red card tackle. I actually gave the free kick the other way. Why? I was too close. I was less than a yard away and the ball was loose with 2 players coming into challenge for it. One player got the ball, the other hit the man but came worse off and in the split second with the almost blurred view I had, I was convinced that the player who actually won the ball, had caught the man instead.
The benches went mad as you can imagine and looking back, I was angry with myself for not being better positioned but actually I was perfectly positioned for where the ball was no more than 2 seconds earlier.

A referee like a player can get caught out and miss things that seem obvious. It still winds me up as a fan but I sympathise with referees at the top level where millions see a mistake each and every week
Yea, but they have 3 assistants now and they get paid the big bucks. You didn't.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yea, but they have 3 assistants now and they get paid the big bucks. You didn't.
I had two assistants, the one closest to the tackle was blinded by a player running in front of them and the other was too far away to be credible and as for money, it doesn't matter how much you get paid, sometimes as a human, you miss things.
VAR is there to help, but they don't step in for every single issue

criticalanalysis

Wasn't the player who fouled Mctominay for the penalty on a yellow with a few fouls before that all game?

Why didn't he get sent off?

Fitchett

Paul Tierney today was criminally sh*te. The worst ref since Jon Moss on Monday. No one can surely be that incompetent, so it must be corruption. As bad as we were, with a decent ref we could have won that game, had the correct decisions been made. There were a lot he got wrong. Btw, the Video Assistant Referee was Craig Pawson - another shocker of a referee who I dread to see refereeing.

Ole needs to come out on the offensive and slate these referees, because the ABU media in Britain certainly won't when it's against United.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
VAR is there to help, but they don't step in for every single issue
Nor it should. But it is there specifically to step in for stuff like the martial penalty. That was such a clear and obvious mistake, it's unacceptable that they got it wrong

Cpt Negative

Two things that made me laugh today (new rules for United it seems)

Ayew (I think) completely ignored the ref who told him to leave the pitch by the shortest route, didn’t have the balls to book him

Then, a palace player went down with a fake injury, ref stopped play so he could get attention and get a drink, somehow a sub is made and then the keeper kicks the ball from his hand?

So many bad decisions today, to highlight them all will only depress me

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Nor it should. But it is there specifically to step in for stuff like the martial penalty. That was such a clear and obvious mistake, it's unacceptable that they got it wrong
I agree with that and I'm not sure why they didn't.

Anustart89

Wasn't the player who fouled Mctominay for the penalty on a yellow with a few fouls before that all game?

Why didn't he get sent off?
Because he plays for Palace.

Wan-Bissaka commits one foul and immediately gets a yellow. Milivojevic had stopped three counters in the first half, received one yellow and then blatantly tripped McTominay who was breaking into the box.

Had he a) played for United or b) not been on a yellow, he would've been booked.

Even the Liverpool lot in my football club WhatsApp group were astounded that penalty wasn't given. What's the point in having VAR if they still can't see that call.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Would it be a stretch to suggest some of the refereeing decisions today were borderline suspicious?

Cahil escaping a red, Martial penalty incident, James receiving a yellow for simulation were all incorrect decisions that should have been overturned by VAR, so why weren't they.

With the inclusion of VAR in the game now, refs have nowhere to hide when it comes to making decisions that affect the outcome of the game. Why aren't they being held accountable for their actions?

SteveW

If I was Martial I'd be livid tonight. If the refs do their job he's MOM and we win. Instead he gets blatently dragged down twice when in on goal without punishment and Palace end up winning. Its fecking ridiculous.

SteveW

Would it be a stretch to suggest some of the refereeing decisions today were borderline suspicious?

Cahil escaping a red, Martial penalty incident, James receiving a yellow for simulation were all incorrect decisions that should have been overturned by VAR, so why weren't they.

With the inclusion of VAR in the game now, refs have nowhere to hide when it comes to making decisions that affect the outcome of the game. Why aren't they being held accountable for their actions?
It definitely feels a lot more wrong. They had the technology to do the right thing and still chose to screw us over. What are we up against here?

Josep Dowling

I wouldn’t say suspicious as we wouldn’t have got a penalty on McTominay.

I do think some people have gone a bit overboard. The Cahill one would have been a very harsh red card, there was another defender right behind him.

The Martial foul was definitely a penalty and I can’t work out how VAR hasn’t given that one. Clear as day.

The Rashford one he was already going down when he got knocked.

As for the constant fouling by Palace I can’t comment as I didn’t watch the 90 minutes, courtesy of the stupid 3pm rule in this country.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes, because they weren't suspicious, they were flat out objectively wrong and terrible.
Glad you agree (I think)

It definitely feels a lot more wrong. They had the technology to do the right thing and still chose to screw us over. What are we up against here?
I don't know what we're up against but something isn't right here. As you say, the technology is there to be used precisely to avoid poor refereeing decisions affecting the outcome of the game, so why not use it?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I do think some people have gone a bit overboard. The Cahill one would have been a very harsh red card, there was another defender right behind him.

The Martial foul was definitely a penalty and I can’t work out how VAR hasn’t given that one. Clear as day.

As for the constant fouling by Palace I can’t comment as I didn’t watch the 90 minutes, courtesy of the stupid 3pm rule in this country.
Exactly, behind him. He wasn't catching Martial or covering Cahill. If Cahill doesn't foul there, Martial gets a shot away.

Martial scored from the same position on Monday. Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity is a red card. I don't think it would have been harsh at all. If the role was reversed, I'd be lamenting how utterly stupid our centre back was to commit a foul like that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

My recollection of the incident was this, Martial turned Cahill inside out and left him for dead, leaving him clean through on goal, on his favoured left foot no less. That's a goal-scoring opportunity any way you slice it. I didn't see any other defender close to Martial.

Rashford's wasn't a penalty, I agree.

I watched the entire game and can say, without any shadow of a doubt, that the Palace players were fouling non-stop. James was getting kicked all over the park.

ValenciaRocks

Unbelievable

Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a ref performance as bad as this

The cynical fouls going unpunished, the James “dive”, Martials stone wall penalty (we should ask why this wasn’t given - we deserve an explanation) and the blatant time wasting (way more than 5 minutes accumulated).

Disgusting performance from the ref, he should be reviewed for this performance.

Josep Dowling

My recollection of the incident was this, Martial turned Cahill inside out and left him for dead, leaving him clean through on goal, on his favoured left foot no less. That's a goal-scoring opportunity any way you slice it. I didn't see any other defender close to Martial.

I watched the entire game and can say, without any shadow of a doubt, that the Palace players were fouling non-stop. James was getting kicked all over the park.
The Cahill foul I think the issue was Martial was going left of the goal which ‘could’ have let the other defender get back into position. I honestly thought it was an orange card. I don’t think it’s the worse decision ever made. I’m shock to read Milivojevic was on a yellow when he fouled McTominay in the box. Should surely be sent off.

It was a poor performance and it was the same at Wolves as well. Still can’t believe Moutinho didn’t get a yellow for a clear simulation. VAR was checking to see if Pogba would get a red card, laughable when the first replay showed he didn’t touch him. It does make you question what camera angles they actually have.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

The FA rules state:
SENDING-OFF OFFENCES
denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick
Relevant explanations from the FA:
Q11: Can a DOGSO offence outside the penalty area be punished with a caution (YC)?
NO – unlike a penalty kick, a free kick is not an obvious chance to score a goal so it does not ‘restore’ the obvious goal-scoring opportunity that was denied by the offence - the disciplinary sanction for all DOGSO offences outside the penalty area remains a sending-off (RC).
As makes perfect sense, one would assume.

Cahill was punished with a yellow card and free-kick though... :houllier:

The Cahill one is so cynical. Martial is through on goal and Cahill takes him out as the last man just outside the box. His touch had him facing the goal. How can that ever not be a red card? Cahill is a grizzled professional. If you are going to allow that situation to be punished with just a tame yellow card and free-kick outside the box, players will be taken out every week. That is precisely what the law is meant to prevent from happening. Cahill makes a boneheaded challenge and gets rewarded for it too. The ref shouldn't even need Var for that, but the technology was there to assist him and even they couldn't apply the rules correctly?

: Is every DOGSO offence in the penalty now only a caution (YC)?
NO – the Law has only changed for those DOGSO offences in the penalty area where the offender makes an attempt to play the ball or challenge an opponent for the ball. The sending-off (RC) remains for: handball holding, pulling and pushing (as these offences are not an attempt to play the ball) making no attempt to play the ball e.g. a deliberate trip an offence when there was no chance/possibility of the ball being played
Kelly was unpunished remarkably too! :lol:

How is the Kelly challenge on Martial in the box not to be described also as a deliberate foul? He was all over him and manhandled him to the ground inside the box. That should have been another red card and penalty. We are looking at both of their CB's escaping a clear red card today.

I watched the Women's World Cup in the summer, the Var officials were assisting the referees with the refs taking their advice and overturning their decisions almost every game. Granted, there were still mistakes but it was never as bad as what happened today.

Crazy, crazy stuff. The incompetence was amplified to such comical levels today.

Last edited:

ValenciaRocks

Exactly, behind him. He wasn't catching Martial or covering Cahill. If Cahill doesn't foul there, Martial gets a shot away.

Martial scored from the same position on Monday. Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity is a red card. I don't think it would have been harsh at all. If the role was reversed, I'd be lamenting how utterly stupid our centre back was to commit a foul like that.
Unfortunately the rules have changed. Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity no longer warrants a certain red card.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

Irrational.

Why are we being screwed so frequently? It's not like it's a one-game thing. It seems every game they feck something up that ends up costing us in some way.

OL29

James also got booked for getting kicked in the knee, possibly his worst decision.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
That's to be expected when the players realise they can get away with murder here. They are going to push the limit as much as they possibly can. These are cut-throat top professionals.

The ref wasn't fit for purpose. He endangered the players and had no control of the match whatsoever. If i was part of the team/coaches, i would be furious with him and the whole referee team today.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The reffing and VAR were poor today but we still have no excuse as we shot ourselves in the foot. It’s a bit small time to complain about officiating for not beating Palace at home

Green_Red

We were kicked all over the pitch today and it was absolutely shambolic.
Yep, loads of times we should have seen a card. When Martial was brought down by the last defender just outside the box. Definite yellow, if not a red. James got a yellow for diving when he didnt dive. What is VAR for?

stevoc

Martial is right footed though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Unfortunately the rules have changed. Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity no longer warrants a certain red card.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575
I remember reading about that actually. I suppose it comes down to whether or not it conflicts with this:

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.
I don't think Cahill had a chance of playing the ball, and arguably falls under the category of pushing/pulling.

UDontMessWith24

We created two one on ones for our center forward with the opposition keeper. Both were stopped illegally, one in the box, and the sum of the punishment was one yellow card and a free kick.