Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
True. But given we went out to Progres of Luxembourg the year before he came, to then get the better of Porto, Benfica, Braga, Galatasaray, Feyenoord, Willem II, Standard Liege, Villarreal, Lech Poznan, Young Boys, etc basically without a blip is real 'progress'.
Was going to post this.They went from going out against part timers to now being a very good Europa League team

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's doing very well IMHO and it's even more outstanding if you compare both Rangers and Celtic squads.

lysglimt

Scout
Is it THAT impressive when you consider the majority of those stats will be impacted by the minnows encountered during qualifications?
Well - yes, it is that impressive. This is Rangers we are talking - if it was United against the same teams, then it would be as expected. But this is Rangers - not a single player would get into our squad

neilv93

Said it earlier in the thread and will say it again: I think he's doing an exceptional job. The Old Firm derby on the weekend was a great example of how he's improved Gers - Celtic came all firing in the first-half and honestly should've been ahead at the break (after all, their squad and attacking options are still better IMO) but the steeliness, resilience, never-say-die attitude of Rangers under Gerrard is awesome. They're dogged and grind out results that they previously wouldn't have.

I don't care if it's a "farmers league" or not - 11 wins from 11 at Ibrox in the league, only conceding ONCE, not to mention 29pts away from home including only four conceded is a truly outstanding record at any level. Not the biggest fan of Gerrard the player or person but hard to argue he's proving to be a great coach on the evidence to date.

united for life

Said it earlier in the thread and will say it again: I think he's doing an exceptional job. The Old Firm derby on the weekend was a great example of how he's improved Gers - Celtic came all firing in the first-half and honestly should've been ahead at the break (after all, their squad and attacking options are still better IMO) but the steeliness, resilience, never-say-die attitude of Rangers under Gerrard is awesome. They're dogged and grind out results that they previously wouldn't have.

I don't care if it's a "farmers league" or not - 11 wins from 11 at Ibrox in the league, only conceding ONCE, not to mention 29pts away from home including only four conceded is a truly outstanding record at any level. Not the biggest fan of Gerrard the player or person but hard to argue he's proving to be a great coach on the evidence to date.
we’re all united fans right? But there is no point of not stating the obvious. He has done an excellent job at Rangers. They already seem to have won the league. Total dominance after so long and after lots of downs. He has done a fantastic job transforming the team. He’s doing great as a manager similar to what he’s done as a player.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Top coach and already one of the best English coaches imo. Hopefully when he returns to England he chooses well the club where he goes, don't know how many years he will have to wait for Klopp to leave though. And I don't think he is at that level for now.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It looks like he will finally get his hands on a league title, albeit as manager.

Vault Dweller

He's done very well up here. Taken a couple of seasons but has Rangers playing some excellent football at times, and the defensive record is tremendous (even if it is in the SPFL). Celtic have had a disaster of a season on and off the pitch but that should not distract from the job Gerrard has done.

Lay

He's done very well up here. Taken a couple of seasons but has Rangers playing some excellent football at times, and the defensive record is tremendous (even if it is in the SPFL). Celtic have had a disaster of a season on and off the pitch but that should not distract from the job Gerrard has done.
His record in Europe is what makes it more impressive. They’ve improved massively in Europe and are probably punching above their weight

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I won’t belittle the Scottish league however he has made a good start to his managerial career by moving to Scotland to learn his trade. He’s at a club where expectation is high and there is significant pressure to win every game. He’s also smartly gone about his business in Europe. Rangers fans don’t expect European success as their main priority is stopping 10 in a row, however the fact he has lost 5 games in about 45 in Europe is magnificent. He’s also managed this playing a style which suits the players.

This is where Gerrard has developed far more than Lampard. Derby didn’t have the pressure to win every game therefore Lampard wasn't under immense pressure every week. Lampard also didn’t have a style which worked for him and settled squad. Gerrard has managed this very well and it pains me to say it, but so far he’s ticking all the right boxes.

Vault Dweller

I won’t belittle the Scottish league however he has made a good start to his managerial career by moving to Scotland to learn his trade. He’s at a club where expectation is high and there is significant pressure to win every game. He’s also smartly gone about his business in Europe. Rangers fans don’t expect European success as their main priority is stopping 10 in a row, however the fact he has lost 5 games in about 45 in Europe is magnificent. He’s also managed this playing a style which suits the players.

This is where Gerrard has developed far more than Lampard. Derby didn’t have the pressure to win every game therefore Lampard wasn't under immense pressure every week. Lampard also didn’t have a style which worked for him and settled squad. Gerrard has managed this very well and it pains me to say it, but so far he’s ticking all the right boxes.
Agreed, he is doing well and has had a good start to his managerial career. If he can win the Double this year, that will help his experience no end.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. There are many comparisons to Klopp’s style of football with the overlapping fullbacks and the 3 workhorse midfielders. I can see the links although he’s a while away from Liverpool yet. A Champions League adventure with Rangers and defending the title would elevate Gerrard to another level.

Across the city, nevermind Klopp, the Lurgan Flopp will be jobless in the summer and Celtic need to invest in a good manager who is a right fit for the club.

432JuanMata

8 goals condeded in 29 league games is mental. They are doing good in Europe for a Scottish side also drew twice with Benfica throwing away leads in both in the last few mins.
Slippy isn’t doing too bad

PoTMS

With today's win, they have qualified for the Champions League next season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fingers crossed the Liverpool fans start to pressure the board into sacking Klopp and hiring Gerrard.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He is quite similar to Klopp in that he seems to get the best out of very average players.

No offence intended, but Davis and Arfield must surely be a fair age now yet they have looked incredible in the Europa League against really good opposition. Their defence is great and their keeper has been about forever. I’d hazard a guess that he’s already been vaccinated.

Gerrard seems to be able to have that natural ability to motivate his team and it appears his tactical knowledge as a manager has developed significantly. I’m worried he will rejuvenate Liverpool when he eventually moves and due to his status at Liverpool, he will be given time to rebuild.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Whilst it was a ludicrous decision to book Morelos for diving, what did Gerrard think would happen by approaching the referee at half time?

Rangers were denied two nailed on penalties but they got the win in the end. It’s quite funny that Gerrard is going mental though as he will have seen Celtic players, Ajeti and Taylor diving and winning penalties lately and his blood will be boiling.

Oranges038

He exaggerates the fall, that and his reputation is why he doesn't get it.

Referee is wrong and he just doesn't care, easier to send Slippy off than accept he was wrong. Slippy will get a ban and the ref will be allowed to get away with being shit.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm just glad I've found out that from that clip that Livingston play at the Tony Macaroni Arena. Great name. Sadly it doesn't look like Tony was one of their legends, but a restaurant chain.

Jaxa

Nailed on to replace Klopp when the time comes, hopefully sooner rather than later,

Tbh he's doing a great job in Scotland and Europe but the prem is a different beast, still would be interesting to see

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
At home now in the league, he has guided Rangers to:

16 games
16 wins
47 goals
2 conceded.

Remarkable achievement.