g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Decent show this. 3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it, but not as much as a lot of others it seems.

I am a 90s kid though, so the all the 80s nostalgia doesn't appeal to me, and probably a lot of the references are lost on me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
finished it last night, absolutely loved it.

only thing I didn't like was the casting of Winona Ryder, she was pretty cack.

the 3 boys and the girl that played 'eleven' were all brilliant. the fat kid with the 2 teeth missing was amazing.

prateik

Yep. Dustin was great.
Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked? was the best line of the show...

Also laughed when he kept miming eleven changing in front of them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That was great fun. Can't really explain why I enjoyed the whole thing so much because it's so silly and ridiculous at times...and yet I don't think I disliked or even didn't fully enjoy a single episode.

Wasn't sold on the kids at first but once they found their way into it they were great. The kid with the lisp/without teeth was fecking hilarious.:lol:

I liked the cop too, good character. The mother's emotional grief sometimes was a bit too much, but then probably quite realistic considering the situation she was in.

Great show in general though. It's sometimes that should've realistically been absolutely terrible and yet it somehow not only worked well, but was actually a great watch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Geezer definitely let on something he shouldn't have by their reactions..

Still freaked out by how confident they are.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Just finished watching this yesterday, amazing show.

The silent crazy lady that Hoppo and momma Wynona visited who had her kid jacked 12 years ago is Eleven's mother, no? I'd have imagined they would have finished the season with them reuniting? I guess they're saving that for the next season.

I hope they don't milk this series, would be a shame.
I'm not entirely what genre you are throwing it in, but a lot are saying watch if you like say X-Files, Buffy, Twin Peaks...mildly fair comparisons, and well three vastly superior shows. Bit odd seeing some of the insane feedback this is getting when something like Mr Robot, which is borderline elite level, is airing and going partially unnoticed still.

This is far too safe and cliche to be classic for me. A good consistent run, I hope they take some risks next year.
I have no words.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

The silent crazy lady that Hoppo and momma Wynona visited who had her kid jacked 12 years ago is Eleven's mother, no? I'd have imagined they would have finished the season with them reuniting? I guess they're saving that for the next season.

I hope they don't milk this series, would be a shame.

I have no words.
Yes, its her mother. She volunteered to be tested upon (probably thought it was easy cash) but didn't know she was pregnant at the time. Eleven was born and made to look like a miscarry. Her powers are explained that way too.

prateik

I have no words.
I never watched buffy.. But are you saying X Files and Twin Peaks arent great? Or just that they are not vastly superior?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yes, its her mother. She volunteered to be tested upon (probably thought it was easy cash) but didn't know she was pregnant at the time. Eleven was born and made to look like a miscarry. Her powers are explained that way too.
It's heavily implied, but it's not necessarily so.

Her daughter could be...dunno, lets say Seven.

It probably is, though.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
But how would Hopper know for sure? I'm just saying, while it is very likely so, it was not presented to us as a fact in the show.

prateik

Yeah. The lady's role was to let us know what was happening and where kids like Eleven came from.
It would tie it up nicely if it was her kid.. but it could be anyones.. There is no reason for it to be her kid.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I never watched buffy.. But are you saying X Files and Twin Peaks arent great? Or just that they are not vastly superior?
Buffy is absolute diarrhea, X-files is horrible and Twin Peaks, while good, I don't think it's as good as this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But how would Hopper know for sure? I'm just saying, while it is very likely so, it was not presented to us as a fact in the show.
Yeah. The lady's role was to let us know what was happening and where kids like Eleven came from.
It would tie it up nicely if it was her kid.. but it could be anyones.. There is no reason for it to be her kid.
I don't get how anyone can doubt whether its her child or not. They would never spell it out but in this case its pretty much confirmed that Eleven's mother was the crazy one they met. She was tested upon in by the exact same people that held Eleven hostage, she was pregnant at the time & Eleven's birth matches the timelines too. Then the dialogue between Hopper and Will's mum confirms it. There is no reason to fake a miscarriage other than that child being special and of key importance to the Government agents.

LonelyFire

Buffy is absolute diarrhea, X-files is horrible and Twin Peaks, while good, I don't think it's as good as this.
Cant say i agree. X-Files may have turned sour come the end but for 4 seasons, it was great quality. Twin Peaks was/is exceptional.

All in all, to say an 8 episode programme is of vastly superior quality to shows that aired for multiple seasons is somewhat premature.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I don't get how anyone can doubt whether its her child or not. They would never spell it out but in this case its pretty much confirmed that Eleven's mother was the crazy one they met. She was tested upon in by the exact same people that held Eleven hostage, she was pregnant at the time & Eleven's birth matches the timelines too. Then the dialogue between Hopper and Will's mum confirms it. There is no reason to fake a miscarriage other than that child being special and of key importance to the Government agents.
And as I said, it's heavily implied that's the case. It's just not a fact as of yet.

One reason some might doubt this, is simple, she's called 11, implying there were ten more.

prateik

Agree to disagree then. The X Files might be dated now.. but I remember loving it as a kid. And it held my interest for several seasons.
The point is that she is Eleven. There is a strong implication that there were other kids... In a nice world, it would all tie up together and they happen to stumble upon the one lady whose kid survived and was the one that escaped.
It could easily be someone elses kid too..

It comes down to how the writers want to play it.. be nice and give the people what they want and close the loop.. I would like it better if they didn't though.. Things dont always work out perfectly. The lady's kid doesnt survive whatever tests they were doing. Eleven is someone elses kid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And as I said, it's heavily implied that's the case. It's just not a fact as of yet.

One reason some might doubt this, is simple, she's called 11, implying there were ten more.
Agree to disagree then. The X Files might be dated now.. but I remember loving it as a kid. And it held my interest for several seasons.

The point is that she is Eleven. There is a strong implication that there were other kids... In a nice world, it would all tie up together and they happen to stumble upon the one lady whose kid survived and was the one that escaped.

It comes down to how the writers want to play it.. be nice and give the people what they want and close the loop.. I would like it better if they didn't though.. Things dont always work out perfectly. The lady's kid doesnt survive whatever tests they were doing. Eleven is someone elses kid.
That's true, the 011 tattoo suggesting there are others. Though I still reckon its pretty obvious Eleven's parents are explained now. They wouldn't really spell it out in a show like this.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

There's no confirmation that the 10 before Eleven were all just kids though, her mother was tested on (along with her friends in a drug-filled binge, if I remember correctly), she & the others could have been 'Three, Four, Five & six' for example. But given they were adults their brains & memory were mashed to remove all knowledge of what happened to them.
Eleven seems to be called Eleven simply because she is the 11th experiment and without parents and therefore no name, it makes sense to name her a number, also removes part of her humanity'

prateik

That's true, the 011 tattoo suggesting there are others. Though I still reckon its pretty obvious Eleven's parents are explained now. They wouldn't really spell it out in a show like this.
There's no confirmation that the 10 before Eleven were all just kids though, her mother was tested on (along with her friends in a drug-filled binge, if I remember correctly), she & the others could have been 'Three, Four, Five & six' for example. But given they were adults their brains & memory were mashed to remove all knowledge of what happened to them.
Eleven seems to be called Eleven simply because she is the 11th experiment and without parents and therefore no name, it makes sense to name her a number, also removes part of her humanity'
Sure. It could be her. Just saying it isnt a guarantee yet. In most cases, I'd expect it to be the case. I just hope it isnt.
One thing that annoys me about shows/movies is that things just fall into place way too easily all the time. If there are places where they can leave things unresolved, it would make the show better .. at least for me.
Unless they need the mother to move the story along, there is no need to go there.. They can address it by "finding out" that her kid died .... and just move on.
The sheriff can adopt Eleven.. if she comes back.. So people wont feel sorry for a little kid

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sure. It could be her. Just saying it isnt a guarantee yet. In most cases, I'd expect it to be the case. I just hope it isnt.
One thing that annoys me about shows/movies is that things just fall into place way too easily all the time. If there are places where they can leave things unresolved, it would make the show better .. at least for me.
Unless they need the mother to move the story along, there is no need to go there.. They can address it by "finding out" that her kid died .... and just move on.
The sheriff can adopt Eleven.. if she comes back.. So people wont feel sorry for a little kid
Aside from the point we've discussed, there is a fair few other things that are left to be answered.

I think they've done very well with the show. Wrapping up the season sufficiently and keeping us wanting to know more.

http://time.com/4426157/10-questions-stranger-things-still-needs-to-answer/

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished it recently and it's a great show, the kids were fantastic in their roles.

My personal favourite was Hopper though.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
#7 is idiotic.

Nice guys finish last in Pretty and Pink and in Stranger Things, too. Nancy chooses Steve over Jonathan, even though Jonathan knows her so well.

But seriously, is Nancy joking by getting cozy with Steve after everything that’s gone down? Supposedly, Steve redeems himself because he wants to be like the square nice kids, and so he buys Jonathan a new camera after he purposely broke the old one. But Nancy and Jonathan just shared the most intimate of encountering-strange-things-in-the-forest-together experiences. And she sticks with the popular guy with the great hair?

Maybe the show is just delaying the obvious to mess with viewers. Maybe Nancy is a basic.

Dir Wangem

#7 is idiotic.
:lol:

I actually like the fact that she went with Steve. First of all, it's already well-established that she likes him. On the other hand, there hasn't really been any chemistry between her and Jonathan. She falling in love with him just because they shared an adventure would be such an old-school cliché. Secondly, Steve redeemed himself a whole lot. It took guts to cut off his toxic friends, admit that he was wrong, and then fight a monster he knows nothing about. Also, let's see it from his point of view: your girlfriend suddenly starts acting really weird and ignores you. You go to her house at night and find her sitting in bed and hugging another guy. Based on their age and this being the 80's, it's pretty much 99.9% sure she's cheating on you. It makes sense that a 17-18 year old would freak out over this. Add peer pressure from toxic friends, and it makes sense that he would react the way he did.

PvsNP

I actually like the fact that she went with Steve. First of all, it's already well-established that she likes him. On the other hand, there hasn't really been any chemistry between her and Jonathan. She falling in love with him just because they shared an adventure would be such an old-school cliché. Secondly, Steve redeemed himself a whole lot. It took guts to cut off his toxic friends, admit that he was wrong, and then fight a monster he knows nothing about. Also, let's see it from his point of view: your girlfriend suddenly starts acting really weird and ignores you. You go to her house at night and find her sitting in bed and hugging another guy. Based on their age and this being the 80's, it's pretty much 99.9% sure she's cheating on you. It makes sense that a 17-18 year old would freak out over this. Add peer pressure from toxic friends, and it makes sense that he would react the way he did.
I'm pretty sure they will revisit this in season 2.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Steve was a completely reasonable guy for most of it, to be honest. Even at the start when he's arrogant he still cares for Nancy and never particularly pressures her into anything. Maybe it's being from Scotland where everyone starts drinking when we're about 12...but the idea that he was this daredevil bad boy type for having about three mates over to his house for some beers while his parents were out never seemed that bad.

He does some dickish things like destroying Jonathan's camera and taunting him over his family, but it's understandable when Jonathan's been perving over his girlfriend, and when he thinks Jonathan's stolen his girlfriend too. Then he redeems himself completely, if he required redeeming, by going to Jonathan's house to apologise to him (while still thinking the guy has stolen his girlfriend, remember), and then giving the monster a damn good fight.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Steve was a completely reasonable guy for most of it, to be honest. Even at the start when he's arrogant he still cares for Nancy and never particularly pressures her into anything. Maybe it's being from Scotland where everyone starts drinking when we're about 12...but the idea that he was this daredevil bad boy type for having about three mates over to his house for some beers while his parents were out never seemed that bad.

He does some dickish things like destroying Jonathan's camera and taunting him over his family, but it's understandable when Jonathan's been perving over his girlfriend, and when he thinks Jonathan's stolen his girlfriend too. Then he redeems himself completely, if he required redeeming, by going to Jonathan's house to apologise to him (while still thinking the guy has stolen his girlfriend, remember), and then giving the monster a damn good fight.
I agree. What he did to Jonathan was pretty understandable and most people would probably do the same as it was pretty fecking weird of Jonathan :lol: Steve had redeeming qualities throughout I thought, he did a few stupid things but I never really disliked the guy.

Riz

Just finished, fecking loved it.

Left it nicely open for a second season as well. Think all the young actors are ace, especially Toothless. :lol:

"Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?" is probably one of my favourite TV lines ever.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Jonathan was taking pictures of his girlfriend getting undressed, whilst hiding in his garden ffs. Steve had every right to be do what he did, I thought he was going to do much worse.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Jonathan was taking pictures of his girlfriend getting undressed, whilst hiding in his garden ffs. Steve had every right to be do what he did, I thought he was going to do much worse.
Yeah, even if Jonathan didn't go meaning to do that it was still creepy as feck and Steve was fully justified in what he did.

Minimalist

Girlfriend and I watched this in two nights when we wanted something to watch on holiday in Portugal there. Awesome show - reminded me a lot of E.T. for some reason.