Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

Scrumpet

There are no words
Only two episodes in but I'm not feeling it so far. I don't think it works as a comedy, or a horror, or a drama. I'm even struggling with nostalgia aspect. I get why people enjoy playing spot the movie reference but what is the appeal of this awful high school plotline you've seen a hundred times with the smart pretty girl and the popular asshole? It was shit then and it's shit now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ah, it's all just pretty bad, but I guess they're mainly kids at the end of the day.

In terms of the script, they just have far too many cheesy little lines that annoy the feck outta me. Like when Nancy walks into the Byers home in the 7th episode and just stops and looks around and says "Woah". So pointless, so cheesy, so shit.

But I watched all 8 episodes in 14 hours so it has something going for it. I just don't understand what that is.
The kids are good actors IMO. Eleven is incredible.

Only two episodes in but I'm not feeling it so far. I don't think it works as a comedy, or a horror, or a drama. I'm even struggling with nostalgia aspect. I get why people enjoy playing spot the movie reference but what is the appeal of this awful high school plotline you've seen a hundred times with the smart pretty girl and the popular asshole? It was shit then and it's shit now.
I think you two just aren't quite getting it, so to speak. These plots/writing are what's giving it the nostalgic feel. I'm not looking for any references personally (either too young or not alive for most of them), it just has that feel to me.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
So who's got questions and theories?

• Hopper is working for the government agency, he didn't object to getting into that mysterious car, and provided food for El/11. Considering his personality, or what we're shown about his personality (alcoholic, drug abuse, not personable etc) why would he go out of his why to personally provide food for her?
  • When Hopper infiltrated the Government Agency why didn't they kill him? He obviously saw too much, they killed Benny for much less. Also if the plan was to wipe his memory, how did he gain it back so quickly? Maybe he's a person of interest/importance to them?
  • Experiments 1-10 were a series of failures for whatever reason, including 11's mother. But also maybe Hopper's daughter also? Hopper himself? Maybe Joyce?
  • What about that big egg thing in the Upside Down? Did the monster spawn something? If so then why did Will cough up larvae or whatever that slug thing was. Or possibly the slug forms some kind of cocoon between the stage of being larvae and turning into a monster?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I'm still unsure you are a human being though. Did you cry at the end of episode 3 or at some point of the last episode? if the answer is no, you are a reptilian! :D
I didn't at the end of 3, but only because
I knew it wasn't Will

And the last episode annoyed me more than anything because it left so many things unanswered. But hopefully they'll be addressed in the next series.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Some guy said today that I should watch this as it is like The Goonies or ET.
I have never seen those and always imagined they were shite, so I doubt I'll watch it.
I recommended this to my mom in the same manner, and she mentioned she had never seen ET. It's like I barely even know her anymore...

Zebs

Ainu

Just finished the whole thing, I thought it was fantastic. Great mystery, drama and bits of 80's mild horror thrown in. The writing and acting were all spot on as well. It's everything I want from a show like this. I can't wait for season 2.

And I love the theme song, it gives me a weird Twin Peaks vibe. That's always a good thing.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Just finished the whole thing, I thought it was fantastic. Great mystery, drama and bits of 80's mild horror thrown in. The writing and acting were all spot on as well. It's everything I want from a show like this. I can't wait for season 2.

And I love the theme song, it gives me a weird Twin Peaks vibe. That's always a good thing.
Same. I downloaded the tune and have listened to it on repeat since... I love the spooky vibe.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I've had this Saoirse Ronan comparison in my head since I saw her and I don't think it's a bad one.

Pscholes18

Just started watching...on second episode right now...enjoying it so far...digging the 80s theme...reminds of Super 8 as well.

Zebs

Nobody green smilied my Pogba joke. :(

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Finished this today, it was good but felt a bit overhyped. When I saw it was 9.3 on imdb and everyone was raving about it I expected something extra ordinary and what I saw was a perfectly good, enjoyable and well executed TV show but I was not left completely blown by it.

Still, a very good show and hoping they make second season. The 80s setting and atmosphere was probably the best thing about it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Zero f*cks given the entire show. Absolute hero.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also how much does Steve look like Jean-Ralphio.

caid

So who's got questions and theories?

• Hopper is working for the government agency, he didn't object to getting into that mysterious car, and provided food for El/11. Considering his personality, or what we're shown about his personality (alcoholic, drug abuse, not personable etc) why would he go out of his why to personally provide food for her?
  • When Hopper infiltrated the Government Agency why didn't they kill him? He obviously saw too much, they killed Benny for much less. Also if the plan was to wipe his memory, how did he gain it back so quickly? Maybe he's a person of interest/importance to them?
  • Experiments 1-10 were a series of failures for whatever reason, including 11's mother. But also maybe Hopper's daughter also? Hopper himself? Maybe Joyce?
  • What about that big egg thing in the Upside Down? Did the monster spawn something? If so then why did Will cough up larvae or whatever that slug thing was. Or possibly the slug forms some kind of cocoon between the stage of being larvae and turning into a monster?
i kind of assumed he was recruited at that point to take care of 11
id have to watch again but did hopper see his daughter in the upside down?
just before they found will?

The egg and slug i figured were just them setting up for another season and going a bit overkill with letting people know there'll be more aliens knocking about
Might be an aliens type thing with the faceless alien laying eggs which hatch the tentacles (or facehugger) and them laying eggs in a human host which create the slugs and grow into another faceless alien

Hopper not being killed i ignored as plot armour
Maybe they were worried that him going missing would create a bigger issue than him knowing a story no one would believe.
It didnt make sense but moved his story forward so i forgave it i guess.

Hammerfell

Fantastic show.

Poor Barb, all she got was a sad look from Nancy. feck Lucas.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. Thought it had a good flow and pace to it and not one episode felt like filler. The soundtrack is great, 80s nostalgia always gets me. The actress playing Eleven is fantastic by the way. All in all a very good show and another success for Netflix who are really stepping up. I like that it's not a show necessarily for kids, adults can really enjoy this as well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wow just finished this and absolutely LOVED it. Probably in my top 5 shows of all time. The best thing was that it was 8 eps long. That meant that there was zero filler, so it seems Netflix learnt from the mistakes of shows such as Jessica Jones. The acting, pacing, cinematography, music, story everything was spot on... only had two minor gripes:

Winona Ryder's performance is sometimes too much, she really turned it up to the 11th and some continuity errors in edits were a bit jarring. Having said that, I cant remember the last time I felt the need to binge watch a show since Breaking Bad 10/10

GazTheLegend

Best show I have seen in a long time. Quintessential viewing for all 80's children IMO.

Basically can be described as The Goonies mixed with E.T. mixed with Alien

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Just finished this and thought it was great. Some parts were a bit cheesy and it was pretty predictable at times, but still very good.

Although, as always, things become a lot less scary when you get to see the monster.

Actually, how did Will get into the upside down? He wasn't bleeding was he? Was he just unlucky that he came across the monster?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Just finished this and thought it was great. Some parts were a bit cheesy and it was pretty predictable at times, but still very good.

Although, as always, things become a lot less scary when you get to see the monster.

Actually, how did Will get into the upside down? He wasn't bleeding was he? Was he just unlucky that he came across the monster?
Didnt he cut himself when he fell off his bike? That doesn't explain the thing appearing in front of him when he was in his bike mind you.

Impulse

I don't think the monster needed blood to travel to and from the upside down, it just helped it to track people.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
The kids are good actors IMO. Eleven is incredible.
I guess, in a way, she had the "easiest" character to play out of all the kids, because her character was mystifying and eerie and trying to portray "normal" will always be more difficult to do in a convincing matter. That caveat aside, I thought she was fantastic and played her part with absolute conviction. Would be surprised if we don't see a lot more of her in the coming years.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I guess, in a way, she had the "easiest" character to play out of all the kids, because her character was mystifying and eerie and trying to portray "normal" will always be more difficult to do in a convincing matter. That caveat aside, I thought she was fantastic and played her part with absolute conviction. Would be surprised if we don't see a lot more of her in the coming years.
I've repeatedly heard actors say that playing the villain is easier than comedy.

I'm not saying she's the villain, just that I understand your point. But I'll start a riot if they ditch the toothless kid though.

Last edited: