Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

red_devil83

having the lowest possible sentence was never the first priority on the agenda.
If that's the case though, it's a stupid reaction because in the world that FIFA operates, you don't appeal things frivolously because you're wasting people's time. The only thing likely to come of this is an increased ban. Isn't that counter productive? Biting your nose off to spite your face?

louvega

You don't think this last incident would put off some Barca fans?

I talked to two of my Catalan friends on FB yesterday and they don't want him now after his recent antics.
A few days ago I was delighted with the idea of signing him. Today I wouldn't sign him, he's liability and a disaster waiting to happen. Very expensive player that can explode in your face at any moment. The biting is stupid and unacceptable, but I'd be more worried about the hard tackles and other stuff he does at times that can seriously hurt a rival.

There were some street polls on local radio yesterday and I'd say it was around 70-30 against signing him. The problem is many have only seen Suárez at world cup so they think this is a kinda sporadic incident, even knowing it's the third time he's done it in his career.

Gir

I think letting Suarez wear a mouthpiece wouldn't be such a bad idea. Cech has his helmet, Suarez his mouthpiece. Adidas could sponsor it (if they continue the relationship that is). :)

Sure it would be weird at first, but that will pass. it could become popular. United, Madrid, PSG mouthpieces and such :)

sniffer

The rules aren't unacceptable. But I haven't seen any rule whereby everyone participating in a tourno should gel into some sort of cultural paradigm.

We react differently to things. I'm absolutely fine with FIFA upholding the rules how they see fit, but you can't go around calling people idiots and getting all sanctimonious about how they should/shouldn't behave in the aftermath of an incident like this.

Some of you still don't understand that having the lowest possible sentence was never the first priority on the agenda.
FIFA could have been even more heavy handed, it's a worldwide ban - not an intergalactic ban. So he's still eligible to play in Buzz Blatters interplanetary tourney

Phurry

Furry Fecker
He already got carded so Fifa couldn't have punished him extra. If the referee carded Suarez for the bite he wouldn't be getting the ban. At least I think that's how it works :)
Nope, they can use retrospective punishment in exceptional circumstances even if a ref takes action.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Some of you still don't understand that having the lowest possible sentence was never the first priority on the agenda.
That, though, surely has more to do with Suarez's perceived negative effect on the game's public image & its commercial interests rather than morals; sporting morals are merely the window-dressing of FIFA's shop. Sure, it's hypocrisy in action, but then, hypocrisy is the universal language of governing bodies in general.

Eriksen

He obviously doesn't have an excuse and deserve to be punished. But the reaction of the English media and English people (at least on the internet) is far more ridiculous than the reaction of the uruguayans.

Trying to demonize the guy as the worst thing ever happened in football is just a huge exaggeration, even worst trying to act as if the uruguayans are a morally "bankrupt" nation for defending the guy, but it seems to me like it happens in every world cup, the english are going to find a scapegoat to hide their own frustrations after every tournament (Maradona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, now Suarez) trying to apply a twisted and surreal moral standar to the rest of the world.

This Suarez guy has issues and needs professional help, but to think the English are the ones in a possition to judge him and a whole nation for the recent events is just laughable.

Yes. Being absolutely disgusted that somebody would randomly decide to bite someone on a football pitch is far more ridiculous than condoning such actions and basically pretending it never happened. Not to mention making up conspiracies about how it's all a plot by the English and Italian media to demonize the angel Suarez. Oh wait, no, ones a perfectly rational reaction from the media and another is a loopy way to react. Guess which.

Nobody's acting as if its the "worst thing that's ever happened in football", they are acting as if a sportsman for the third time in his career has decided to sink his teeth in to an opponents skin, for absolutely no reason. If you didn't expect a big reaction to this then you are living on cloud cuckoo land or you're on some of that Colombian special product.

The Uruguayan media have been absolutely shameless throughout this. They've blamed absolutely everybody apart from the man himself, its ridiculous. If it was Wayne Rooney the media would have crucified him, because whilst our media are far from perfect, they aren't some siege mentality inspired maniacs.

Sorry but this is quality "twisted and surreal moral standard", are you ok? Because honestly, if you think its twisted to condemn a racist, violent biting maniac who defines pretty much everything to do with the dark side of the game then you need help. If this was his first offence the media wouldn't be reacting so badly. The fact is he's done it time and time again, and thus he deserves the punishment and the furious media reaction, because he's quite frankly a danger to others on the pitch with him and clearly can't control himself.

Why are you making this about "The English"? Your logic is so badly twisted. You're saying that because we as a nation in the past were colonialist (from which as a society we have completely changed and regret some of the disgusting acts we committed) we are unable to have morals? I suppose the German people should all hang their heads in shame for the rest of their lives and never be able to have morals again, because that would be hypocritical.

Reactions: rimaldo

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He obviously doesn't have an excuse and deserve to be punished. But the reaction of the English media and English people (at least on the internet) is far more ridiculous than the reaction of the uruguayans.

Trying to demonize the guy as the worst thing ever happened in football is just a huge exaggeration, even worst trying to act as if the uruguayans are a morally "bankrupt" nation for defending the guy, but it seems to me like it happens in every world cup, the english are going to find a scapegoat to hide their own frustrations after every tournament (Maradona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, now Suarez) trying to apply a twisted and surreal moral standar to the rest of the world.

This Suarez guy has issues and needs professional help, but to think the English are the ones in a possition to judge him and a whole nation for the recent events is just laughable.
Just out of interest, how many countries' media stories have you been exposed to aside from the English? Or reactions from people on forums for that matter? If you're only on here you're obviously going to think the English are the worst.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The rules aren't unacceptable. But I haven't seen any rule whereby everyone participating in a tourno should gel into some sort of cultural paradigm.

We react differently to things. I'm absolutely fine with FIFA upholding the rules how they see fit, but you can't go around calling people idiots and getting all sanctimonious about how they should/shouldn't behave in the aftermath of an incident like this.

Even if that's true neither was fair play from Uruguay on their agenda.

So dont give it out if you can't take the consequences.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
In all fairness antohan there's people over here who put their countries borders above all else. They couldn't give a shit about how others see them and often use underhand methods to get what they want.

They're in the BNP.
Nothing to do with politics. When it comes to politics we are quite sectarian as well within parties, but the NT is beyond any political ideology. In fact, we have national elections this year, the first round was on June 1 and nothing, absolutely nothing politics related has taken place for a month since. Every single candidate out there knows that if he opens his gob to taalk politics during the World Cup it's an instant vote loser.

MarylandMUFan

I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.
Wow. Okay, let me try and put a different slant on this. A person is judged and punished based on the relative infraction that they commit based on the scenario. When my child does something wrong, I don't ignore it because at least he want committing genocide. You judge Suarez based on how his infraction is scene during the course of a football game. So,in that light what Suarez did was an extreme act that is rarely scene except for Suarez himself. It's okay to be outraged even with other things in the world are far worse.

antohan

I understand your point and it is an interesting theory, but it's not a 'he said this and they're saying that'-issue because it is pretty evident that Suarez is guilty of biting. Multiple camera-angles and bite marks show this. And if Uruguay's FA were just passionate in explaining the reasoning behind 'the bite' and Suarez' emotional state than that would be understandable. But to just blatantly state that Suarez didn't bite him is just comical.

Anyway my 2 cents :)
It is, there's no way it would ever hold water, but "winning the argument" wasn't ever the objective. You stick to your own, even if it's a losing battle, because you know ultimately, at the end of the day, that's all you have, all you can count on, and this is what defines you from the day you were born.

Gir

Just out of interest, how many countries' media stories have you been exposed to aside from the English? Or reactions from people on forums for that matter? If you're only on here you're obviously going to think the English are the worst.
A former footballer on one of the Dutch footyshows literally called him sick in the head..trust me, it's not only the English :)

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
A former footballer on one of the Dutch footyshows literally called him sick in the head..trust me, it's not only the English :)
Exactly my point. The Danes have largely called for a lengthy ban as well. Hardly anyone speak our language though, or give a feck what we think, so no one knows that we're actually as condemning as everyone else.

Gir

It is, there's no way it would ever hold water, but "winning the argument" wasn't ever the objective. You stick to your own, even if it's a losing battle, because you know ultimately, at the end of the day, that's all you have, all you can count on, and this is what defines you from the day you were born.
I can understand that. It's a family and close community-thing, to put it very simplified :)

But still, the country's national team knows what rules to follow and they could still stand by their player a bit more 'professionally'.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Nothing to do with politics. When it comes to politics we are quite sectarian as well within parties, but the NT is beyond any political ideology. In fact, we have national elections this year, the first round was on June 1 and nothing, absolutely nothing politics related has taken place for a month since. Every single candidate out there knows that if he opens his gob to taalk politics during the World Cup it's an instant vote loser.
It's bread and circuses stuff though, anto, just like our (English/British) government distracting their people with football and the like - it's an expedient way to keep our minds off them and their actions. Similar to the manner in which they tell us who to hate (most recently, it's those evil, faceless Muslims with bombs hidden under the 'funny' clothes they wear, threatening OUR way of life); funnily enough - and it would be funny if the results weren't so tragic - the enemy-du-jour often happens to be those people whose lands 'we' plan to invade...If we're going to talk racism & patronisation, we should be talking about how governments worldwide treat their own people.

Smores

I do wonder what the reaction would have been from their media had he bit a team mate instead.

Are they really protecting Suarez or are they just defensive about outside judgement?

Eriksen

Or you know, you act like rational human beings and admit the clear truth so everyone doesn't think you're a bunch of crazy people.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Its quite incredible that anybody is defending him regardless of collectivism and social norms. In Canada the national news discussed it and they don't give a tit about football. They talked about it as a globally recognized situation that transcended the realm of sport. For an athlete to bite three different people is totally astounding. When Tyson bit Evander Holyfield it was a remarkable, extraordinary, unbelievable situation that nobody thought they'd ever see in sport. Now a man has done it three times and Liverpudlians, Uruguayans, and other assorted assheads are defending him, saying his ban is too harsh, the evidence has been misrepresented, and the media and FIFA have an agenda. Its totally incredible stuff. For me, the ban is about half the length it should be.

People get hot-headed in sports, and sometimes they head butt and push and kick and stomp. That is a natural reaction when you're in what you believe is a situation of duress. I don't know anybody, or know of anybody, who would instinctively bite someone in that situation. In fact, Suarez wasn't even in duress in the Ivanovic situation or the Chiellini situation. The players were merely playing the game, and he decided the correct thing to do was to chew on these defenders flesh. It takes a totally sick person to feel the necessity to commit that kind of action towards someone that hasn't even deserved any sort of confrontation, let alone a primal, feral thing like biting someone.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.
My work has been such that i have been lucky enough to have travelled all over the world and live in a number of different countries. The English dont see things as you seem to think they do. There is a very common theme among people in all the countries I have visited and worked in and it is that at the heart of it all we are all very very similar. We all want the same things. I have been lucky enough to have spent some time working and living in the USA and all the stereotypes I see trotted out about Americans are quite a bit different to the reality I encountered. Your average everyday American is no different to the average everyday New Zealander where I live. I have been lucky enough to have spent 6 weeks in Columbia and if I were to base my opinion of Columbians on the dumb stereotypes that are out there it would be stupid because I know from experience what Columbians are really like.
In my experience the people who come up with or repeat the lazy stereotypes of others from different countries are usually those who have never visited those countries or never travelled at all.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...uarez-for-his-behaviour-at-the-World-Cup.html

Man who scored the winning goal in the 1950 World Cup final becomes first prominent Uruguayan to criticise Luis Suarez for biting Giorgio Chiellini

"This boy's clearly not right in the head. That's just not something you do on the pitch. I think Fifa can sanction him. "He already did it before in England and now he's done it again. It's abnormal. It's a football match – not a war or a fight."

antohan

If that's the case though, it's a stupid reaction because in the world that FIFA operates, you don't appeal things frivolously because you're wasting people's time. The only thing likely to come of this is an increased ban. Isn't that counter productive? Biting your nose off to spite your face?
It wasn't an appeal. FIFA said they would hold a hearing and we had until X to present our case. Nothing frivolous, just a spastic case.

The appeal would be frivolous if still banging on about innocence. I bloody well hope they don't but, instead, focus on appealing the nastier elements of the sanction. Something along the lines of dropping the whole "it never happened" angle, accepting the 9 games and 4 months, but arguing it doesn't help the player in any way shape or form to be banned from training with his team mates. I can't see a single good reason for that part of the sentence.

Gir

It has been a great World Cup :). We've had upsets, lots of goals, no vuvuzuelas, foam-lines, goal line tech and biting this summer. And we still have two weeks to go.

Eriksen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...uarez-for-his-behaviour-at-the-World-Cup.html

Man who scored the winning goal in the 1950 World Cup final becomes first prominent Uruguayan to criticise Luis Suarez for biting Giorgio Chiellini

"This boy's clearly not right in the head. That's just not something you do on the pitch. I think Fifa can sanction him. "He already did it before in England and now he's done it again. It's abnormal. It's a football match – not a war or a fight."

Well thank god for that. I was beginning to wonder if there was something in the water.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Its quite incredible that anybody is defending him regardless of collectivism and social norms. In Canada the national news discussed it and they don't give a tit about football. They talked about it as a globally recognized situation that transcended the realm of sport. For an athlete to bite three different people is totally astounding. When Tyson bit Evander Holyfield it was a remarkable, extraordinary, unbelievable situation that nobody thought they'd ever see in sport. Now a man has done it three times and Liverpudlians, Uruguayans, and other assorted assheads are defending him, saying his ban is too harsh, the evidence has been misrepresented, and the media and FIFA have an agenda. Its totally incredible stuff. For me, the ban is about half the length it should be.

People get hot-headed in sports, and sometimes they head butt and push and kick and stomp. That is a natural reaction when you're in what you believe is a situation of duress. I don't know anybody, or know of anybody, who would instinctively bite someone in that situation. In fact, Suarez wasn't even in duress in the Ivanovic situation or the Chiellini situation. The players were merely playing the game, and he decided the correct thing to do was to chew on these defenders flesh. It takes a totally sick person to feel the necessity to commit that kind of action towards someone that hasn't even deserved any sort of confrontation, let alone a primal, feral thing like biting someone.
Well put.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
The uruguayan outrage does not shock me.. The sides from their country and Argentina do far worse things in libertadores cup that dont reach the world wide media.

One time an argentinian player (its common for them) called a black player a monkey. He (Grafite) pressed charges in the police and Argentinean media made it seem like Grafite was the villain for pressing charges. The media down their do not take off their jerseys when writing opionions

Richard Cranium

Really. Must be confused with Dutch FA rules then. Or maybe it depends on the incident?
The English FA generally (although they can) won't distribute a punishment for an incident a referee has seen and not acted upon, or issued a yellow card. If they've issued a red then it may be extended where appropriate. If the ref misses it then they may also act but the FA generally won't question a referee's discretion and judgment where he's seen an incident and felt a warning or yellow was appropriate. They usually decide whether or not he saw the incident from the referee's match report.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Its the English that's banned Suarez for 9 Internationals and 4 months is it? Shit. I wasn't aware we had that much sway with FIFA. D'you think we can get the 2022 World Cup if Qatar falls apart?